daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #141
bread_n_butter
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

La défence in 2009

bread_n_butter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #142
rocky

Likes (Received): 5

rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #143
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

No, this is not how La Défense will look either in 2009 or 2011, because the so-called "tour signal" is missing, and some other towers such as the Ministry of Public Works tower are also missing.

For the second time, can an admin close this thread? This thread was opened more than a year ago when little was known of the La Défense regeneration project. It contains wrong information (about tower heights and completion dates), and it's redundant with the Paris - Full Summary of Projects thread, so please close it.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #144
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
No, this is not how La Défense will look either in 2009 or 2011, because the so-called "tour signal" is missing, and some other towers such as the Ministry of Public Works tower are also missing.

For the second time, can an admin close this thread? This thread was opened more than a year ago when little was known of the La Défense regeneration project. It contains wrong information (about tower heights and completion dates), and it's redundant with the Paris - Full Summary of Projects thread, so please close it.
Well, I'll leave a local moderator closing it.
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #145
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

I've asked them before but they did nothing. There's very little response from moderators on SkyscraperCity I must say. I wrote to moderators in other instances in the past and never got any answer.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #146
oracle

Oh god how I hate these 'star architect' designs that are UGLY AS HELL. Looks like a kid threw lego blocks together, now what's the story ? 'deconstructivism' ????

[email protected]@$er
oracle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #147
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Yup I don't like this type of design, the type which looks like a bunch of cubes stacked on top of each other
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #148
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle View Post
Oh god how I hate these 'star architect' designs that are UGLY AS HELL. Looks like a kid threw lego blocks together, now what's the story ? 'deconstructivism' ????
I agree. Fortunately, this project hasn't been accepted and won't be built.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #149
Phil
For great justice

I liked it, I think that with a real rendering and not a 200x300 crappy model picture, it had look pretty cool.
Phil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #150
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

I looks like some sugar lumps stacked up! Well the design had a lot of personality imo. Such a shame it will not be buit eventually.
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #151
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I liked it, I think that with a real rendering and not a 200x300 crappy model picture, it had look pretty cool.
Well, I always have the same issue with Nouvelle designs. This guy obviously hates windows and loves to give the impression that his buildings are totally isolated from the outside. Personally, I find that very claustrophobic, it makes me very uncomfortable.
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #152
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

I was hoping to see some more substancial renderings too. Too bad it got the chop.
It's overblown in its concept, confirming Nouvel does not shy away from being OTT, and this project really showed it, which, in his case, is rather a quality.
Has anybody seen any of his presentations? He details and explains his choices to the full, getting the full picture accross to you, bringing all the elements of the puzzle into his projects, really throughoutly.The guy's way out there, kudos to him.
Shame about the sketchy render, but i'm convinced this building could have made a world of difference in the french architectural landscape, had chosen materials for the tower been made available for all to see and fully appreciate this building.
brunob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #153
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
Shame about the sketchy render, but i'm convinced this building could have made a world of difference in the french architectural landscape,
When people talk about architecture or urbanism, I often hear them complaining about French conservatism in those fields... however, could you find me one place where this design wouldn't have made a world of difference in the surrounding landscape ? Even in Dubai, this design would be felt as very "original".

Of course, Paris is dominated by Haussmanian's neo-classical buildings... is it that shameful ? There are already tons of buildings in Paris which have been specifically designed to break with that architectural dominance: The Bastille Opera, the Pyramids of the Louvre, the Pompidou Center, the Montparnasse tower, the mall of the Forum des Halles, the Italie 13 urban operation, the Front de Seine district, the Radio France building, the Bibliothèque Mitterrand, the whole design of La Défense based on an elevated esplanade, the cité de la Grande Borne, the Nuage towers, etc... I'm forgetting tons of them. Despite all these, Paris is still desperately dominated by Haussmanian architecture, and even worse, everything tends to prove it will still remain this way for a long time.

Seriously speaking, I don't believe that making buildings which are a world apart from the surrounding architecture is really the best approach. Something isn't necessarily pretty because it's original, and I would like French architects to insist more on esthetical considerations than in making something the most original as possible. In sponsoring too much ruptures, you generate people reluctant to change, because those ruptures aren't always succesful.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #154
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

Oh perish the thought! I wasn't complaining, or lamenting the lack of originality in La Defense, as i enjoy the vast majority what's on offer there. I was merely pointing out the style is a departure from anything else preceding the rendering in post #146.

As for the best approach, there isn't one in my book.
I think the school of thought that favor a bold change in architectural design as an end to step into a new era is as valid as that that advocates a more smoother and conservatively ascending method of changing the built environment - in this case, skyscrapers.

I strongly believe that in order to rock the house, you have to give it a vigorous kick.
brunob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #155
LS木糖醇

kao,big city
good building