daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #21
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3415

By the time this gets built, Burj Dubai would have already been built wouldn't it, hence making this tower the 2nd tallest structure in the world
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #22
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 82

Interesting construction. But why do they want to build a lattice tower and not a tower of reinforced concrete like CN and Ostankino TV Tower?
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #23
SUNNI

Likes (Received): 31

completion 2011 seems pretty slow, but i do like the design
Old March 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #24
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3415

Maybe they thought that it would look cooler and less dominating?? Only a guess
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #25
amras
Batang Munti

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman

It seems an odd location, transmission towers are usually on hills overlooking cities
that's why it is tall.
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #26
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Some network head has apparently seen the South Park "Ladder to Heaven" episode.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #27
Naz UK
Back in Blighty

Location: Roswell, Area 51, Classified, United States of Americanisms.
Likes (Received): 0

Well...there's Burj Dubai..and then Al-Burj...so this would make an excellent 3rd tallest structure/tower/building in the world!
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #28
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

From: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0060326a1.html

Transmitter would be tallest in world
NHK and five commercial TV broadcasters in the Tokyo area have decided to build a new radio and TV transmitter dubbed New Tokyo Tower, in Sumida Ward by 2010, sources familiar with the project said Saturday.

The tower is to be about 600 meters high, or nearly twice as tall as 333-meter Tokyo Tower in Minato Ward and higher than the world's tallest tower, the 553-meter CN Tower in Toronto. It will be built on a former railway shunting yard along the Tobu-Isesaki Line's Narihirabashi and Oshiage stations, they said.

Tobu Railway Co., owner of the site, has expressed willingness to shoulder part of the estimated 50 billion yen construction cost.

NHK and the five broadcasters are expected to put up several hundred million yen each for the project.

The broadcasters will officially announce the site by the end of this month, the sources said, adding the railway operator will soon set up a task force for the project and call for investment from other entities.

The broadcasters are using Tokyo Tower as a transmitter for both analog and digital terrestrial broadcasting. But Japan plans to switch broadcasting waves completely from analog to digital, which will offer high-quality audio visual transmission and two-way communications by July 2011.

A new service for cellphone-based terrestrial digital broadcasting named "wan-segu" (one-segment) broadcasting is also being launched in April with the hope of offering clearer images with less disruption while in motion.

In view of such changes, and to make use the features of digital broadcasting, the broadcasters drew up plans for a second tower that would be tall enough to transmit digital wavelengths over high-rise buildings.

Several local governments and businesses were competing to have the tower built in their areas.

They included the municipal government of Hachioji, which wanted to build the tower at a site in Tama New Town, and the city of Saitama, which wanted the tower to be part of its Saitama New Urban Center project.

In March 2005, the broadcasters tentatively concluded that an area in Sumida and Taito wards would be the most suitable.

But they spent time examining the Saitama plan, which would offer advantages in case a disaster hits Tokyo.

The Sumida Ward site was picked in the end because the location is close and convenient to the broadcasters' headquarters and because support from local businesses was seen as favorable.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #29
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3633

Isnt the Saitama Tower has been proposed with somewhat similar height?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #30
L-er

Likes (Received): 0

I didn't know that the Eifel tower is in Japan?
L-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #31
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

I hope it will be built soon.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #32
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 82

This tower will be, if built as shown neither the tallest or the third tallest structure in the world, because there are as you can see on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_masts several guyed masts which are a bit taller!
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #33
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-er
I didn't know that the Eifel tower is in Japan?
Tokyo Tower is a copy of the Eiffel Tower in Paris and about 10 meters higher than the original
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote