daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

French 'Spider-Man' Climbs 31-Story Paris Tower

French 'Spider-Man' Climbs 31-Story Tower
15 March 2006

BAGNOLET, France (AP) - French skyscraper climber Alain Robert scaled a 31-floor office building outside Paris on Wednesday using only his bare hands, his last climb before spending a week in prison in Texas.

Robert was arrested in Houston in November on charges of trespassing and drug possession as he was about to climb the 46-floor One Houston Center. Police said they believed Robert was carrying the sedative Xanax, while the climber says it was a prescription anti-epilepsy medication.

Robert said his effort Wednesday was a protest against the court decision ordering him to serve prison time.

"I don't really understand why they are charging me with criminal trespass, as I didn't even climb," Robert said before ascending one of the 400-foot Mercurial Towers in the suburb of Bagnolet. He wore a skintight black and yellow outfit covered with advertisements.

Robert has climbed more than 70 of the world's tallest structures, including the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, with his bare hands and without a safety net.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #2
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Amazing but stupid too. I've heard of him before.
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

Hope we'll hear from him again....climbing and nothing else.
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #4
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

I've heard of this guy before, hehe
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #5
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

The "Twin Towers" in Bagnolet (Les Mercuriales: 122m):

Alain Robert in Abu Dhabi :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian
Amazing but stupid too.
What is stupid ?

Last edited by [email protected]; March 17th, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

The guy. Its pretty stupid to not use a net or any harnesses
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM   #7
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

It's a kind of "free solo climbing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Robert
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #8
DamienK

Likes (Received): 83

You can view a video of his climb of the tallest office building in Paris, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jIlO...lain%20roberts

amazing, he just runs up to the side of the building and climbs, and by the time the authorities are alerted he is already high up.
DamienK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Albaniangigi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

get goosebumbs just by watchin this
Albaniangigi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #10
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Will he be able to climb Burj Dubai?
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #11
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

^I would imagine so, he's climbed every other tallest building in the world. He's even climb buildings in Abu Dhabi as a publicity stunt I believe. This was also done at the opening of Taipei 101, although on that occassion they insisted he used a rope.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #12
jacek_t83
Ino Ligota!

Likes (Received): 1

I like that guy His crazy but not stupid, he knows what to do
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

"Spiderman" climbs Sydney building into police net
31 August 2010

SYDNEY, (Reuters) - A French daredevil climber who has scaled skyscrapers around the world was arrested in Sydney on Monday after climbing a 57-story building and into the arms of waiting police.

Alain Robert, 48, who is also known as the French Spiderman, was taken into police custody when he reached the top of the 57-story Lumiere Building in central Sydney on Monday morning.

Robert, 48, took 20 minutes to scale the 151 meter (495 feet) tall building using just his bare hands and without safety equipment, cheered on by a crowd of about 100 onlookers.

"It's a wonderful achievement," his agent Max Markson told reporters. "He's the best at what he does. I'm sad he's been arrested, but hopefully he'll get out soon and we can have some champagne."

Robert has been arrested many times in various countries as authorities rarely give permission for his dangerous climbs.

In Australia he was last arrested last year and fined $750 for illegally climbing the 41-story Royal Bank of Scotland building in central Sydney.

In 2003, he scaled the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

A police statement said the French national was charged with risking the safety of another by climbing a building and entering enclosed land. He was granted conditional bail and is due to appear in court on Sept. 3.

Robert first climbed a building at the age of 12 when he got locked out of his apartment and decided to mount the eight stories up to an open window.

He has since climbed more than 80 buildings around the world including Chicago's Sears Tower and Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #14
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

authorities just gotta hate!
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #15
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

The tower is 56 storeys and the building itself is designed by Norman Forster.

Just last year he scaled the 41 storey Aurora Place Tower in the financial district of the city.

I remember in 2003 he climbed up the Sydney Harbour Bridge and in 1997 had a go climbing up Sydney Tower.

Nine News Report (Australia)
August 30 2010

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3258

I have seen him climb from our office the 4 Seasons hotel in Hong Kong. He has done the Cheung Kong center as well here. Both were clearly publicity stunts.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #17
hkskyline
Hong Kong

He seems to enjoy climbing skyscrapers for a living. Is it for publicity purposes though?

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

With last weeks climb, he did it for Zoo Magazine, a popular male magazine in Australia.

The same folks sponsored his climb up the 41 Storey Aurora Place Tower.

A picture of Luimere for those who aren't familar.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #19
hkskyline
Hong Kong

French Spider-Man eyes his next mission: scaling our Q1 tower
THOMAS CHAMBERLIN & AAP
31 August 2010
The Gold Coast Bulletin

A FRENCH stuntman arrested in Sydney yesterday after climbing a 57-storey building says the Gold Coast's Q1 would be an interesting challenge.

Using only his bare hands, Alain Robert was nabbed by the police as soon as he reached the top of the Lumiere Building in Bathurst St, in Sydney's CBD, about 10.50am.

Scores of onlookers in the street below applauded as the 48-year-old, known as the French Spider-Man, took 20 minutes to scale the residential block without safety equipment.

Just hours after his arrest, Robert said he was already planning another challenge and was aware of the 80-storey, 323m-high Q1 in Surfers Paradise.

``Yes, well, this could be interesting, of course,'' said Robert, who is yet to travel to the Gold Coast.

``I need to be finished my (court) case and then after that I can look forward to something else.

``Many times I did climb much more than 80 storeys. Maybe in a year or two . . . I just need to check the building and then I will see.

``There are a few other places which I wish to go and then I may come back to Australia.''

``At this point I need to have a good, good look at the building. I would need to go there and check to see if I could make it or not.''

Robert, who was campaigning about global warming, said people should be more worried about driving a car than climbing a building.

Dressed in red trousers, a T-shirt and a baseball cap, he entered the Sydney building about 10am. He made his way to the 14th floor and went out on to the decking to launch his climb up the outside of the building 30 minutes later, police alleged.

Scores of passers-by gathered near one of the CBD's busiest intersections to cheer him on, while officers set up a crime scene on Bathurst St.

``It's a wonderful achievement,'' said his agent Max Markson.

``He's the best at what he does.

``I'm sad he's been arrested but hopefully he'll get out soon and we can have some champagne.''

Robert has previously climbed all sorts of buildings, including the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, the Eiffel Tower and The New York Times building.

Old January 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HONG IN THERE!
27 January 2011
The Sun

LOOKS like this cool dude has taken hanging out to a whole new level.

Skyscraper-scaler Alain Robert shimmied up Hong Kong's 450-foot-tall Hang Seng Bank without using any fancy equipment yesterday.

The daredevil 48-year-old scrambled up 27 stories, to the amazement of rush-hour workers and emergency services gathered below.

Famous for not revealing when and where he'll climb massive buildings, Alain did not have permission to leg it up the financial institution.

The 'French Spider-Man', who has scuttled up over 85 giant structures around the world, was not charged over the incident.

Speaking ahead of a celebratory baguette, Alain declared: "At the end of the day I am very, very sure there is absolutely zero damage.

"In terms of the law, what I did now is not considered as a crime — so then that is the reason why I have been released."

Almost there ... Alain heading up the supersized bank above a street packed with stupefied onlookers yesterday