daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Wajid H.

Likes (Received): 1

DUBAI: Burj Dubai (Part 13)

You can find Part Twelve here.

Burj Dubai

Scheduled for completion: December 31, 2008

Latest updates

March 15, 2006

You should click twice to see the biggest possible.

(Pictures made by smussuw)

Websites

Thread in UAE section here.

http://www.burjdubai.com

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com

Last edited by Wajid H.; March 16th, 2006 at 06:44 PM.
Wajid H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #2
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

That's not the latest render. Here's the newest one:

Also the previous thread can be found here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...80#post7671580
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Malec, those renders are exactly the same and so are those links.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #4
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

He edited his post and changed the render. It was the old silver one
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2670

Old March 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

The 3-winged tripod structure is strikingly similar to that of the CN Tower. Was the CN Tower's structure influential in designing the Burj Dubai...or is this the ideal known formula for building tall?
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #7
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

This tower is a bull shit, I don't like it at all, it looks so stupid and shows me just that the
general aim of the authors of the building to get a highrise and to become the world's tower

Last edited by Skyman; March 18th, 2006 at 06:07 PM.
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #8
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

The reason for the shape is because it's based on a flower of some sort. Others will know more about this
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #9
Mr. Maciek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman
This tower is a bull shit, I don't like it at, it looks so stupid and shows me just that the
general aim of the authors of the building to get a highrise and to become the world's tower
You have a point Skyman this tower does look crap, too futuristic for my likes and built souly to become worlds tallest, it's just a stupid skinny peice of crap with a bunch of stupid little roof's everywhere...
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #10
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 221

i bet you won't be saying that when you're in the observation deck
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #11
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

So its designed to be the world's tallest tower... why do people have problems with that?
Wierd.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #12
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

The same reason why alot of people dislike Taipei 101. The Burj isn't what I would call a lovely building. But it isn't ugly. It's plain in design but it's tall.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #13
Citygazer83

The design is stunning and hides nothing but a reach to the sky. I actually like it more than flat-roofed skyscrapers that look as if the architect was pretending as if they are designing some apartment building (oh, but it just happens to be the world's tallest /sarc). For the world's tallest, self-conscious spires are a positive thing. Slimness is also positive-- would you rather the world's tallest be built like that hideous thing going up in Mecca? Of course not. A building distinguished by its height should also be defined by it architectually-- and that's what the design does here. Of course, no matter how many renders you do you won't know what it really looks like until its done.

What worries me the most-- how are they going to protect this baby from terrorism (or some suicidal American pilot looking for revenge for 9/11)? Dubai is a huge investment for such a volatile region...

Last edited by Citygazer83; March 17th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.
Citygazer83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #14
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Well, we'll have to wait and see how things change from conception to reality. I originally had my thoughts about T101 but now find the building to look nice with the right angles. Is it really just the sterile post-modernism that people don't seem to like, or moreso that much of this lovely tower is expressed in plan as opposed to elevation? Although I love tons of stuff about this tower *coughseverythingcoughs*, that's just how I've come to understand it. Surely there is nothing wrong with subjective thought, as it's impossible to please all with a singular piece of art. I'd still like to wait to see how it rises, is shaped, and finished though before making a final judgement but again there's nothing wrong with stating an opinion.

City, I've had some thoughts about that (although the reverse attack idea is something I've not heard before). I would imagine that SOM is taking quite a few steps to help protect this tower from unfortunate events but one has to realize that if you want a building to protect you from everything, it might as well be a nuclear fallout bunker extremely deep underground. It surely can't be something normal people would or could live and work in. Barring that, new fire suppresion systems, very thick concrete walls, more points of egress, etc. appear to be accounted for. I mean, surely it's not perfect, but it seems like the tower's well thought out, otherwise it'd fail some test or another or never get built. Well, scratch that, because that's not the point of building tall buildings anyway. All it means is the risk is greater for something as the WTB, and so preventative measures are increased in proportion.

I could see this really getting into a long post or discussion and although granted, it would be interesting to learn how BD is taking the aftermath of 9/11 into account, I don't want to create nor encourage any hostility or disparity because of simple discussion on a forum like this.

If anyone would however, have some construction insight, it might make for a bit of neat discussion until the next round of updates.

I've heard some ideas that the very center of the core is a triangular alcove that reaches through the whole center of the tower... is this true?

Last edited by The-Real-Link; March 17th, 2006 at 08:32 AM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #15
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
The reason for the shape is because it's based on a flower of some sort. Others will know more about this
Skidmore & Co came up with that after the design was made. The tower was designed for height alone.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #16
Jimbu

Likes (Received): 307

wow so tall. world's tallest in 2009?
Jimbu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #17
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link
Well, we'll have to wait and see how things change from conception to reality. I originally had my thoughts about T101 but now find the building to look nice with the right angles. Is it really just the sterile post-modernism that people don't seem to like, or moreso that much of this lovely tower is expressed in plan as opposed to elevation? Although I love tons of stuff about this tower *coughseverythingcoughs*, that's just how I've come to understand it. Surely there is nothing wrong with subjective thought, as it's impossible to please all with a singular piece of art. I'd still like to wait to see how it rises, is shaped, and finished though before making a final judgement but again there's nothing wrong with stating an opinion.

City, I've had some thoughts about that (although the reverse attack idea is something I've not heard before). I would imagine that SOM is taking quite a few steps to help protect this tower from unfortunate events but one has to realize that if you want a building to protect you from everything, it might as well be a nuclear fallout bunker extremely deep underground. It surely can't be something normal people would or could live and work in. Barring that, new fire suppresion systems, very thick concrete walls, more points of egress, etc. appear to be accounted for. I mean, surely it's not perfect, but it seems like the tower's well thought out, otherwise it'd fail some test or another or never get built. Well, scratch that, because that's not the point of building tall buildings anyway. All it means is the risk is greater for something as the WTB, and so preventative measures are increased in proportion.

I could see this really getting into a long post or discussion and although granted, it would be interesting to learn how BD is taking the aftermath of 9/11 into account, I don't want to create nor encourage any hostility or disparity because of simple discussion on a forum like this.

If anyone would however, have some construction insight, it might make for a bit of neat discussion until the next round of updates.

I've heard some ideas that the very center of the core is a triangular alcove that reaches through the whole center of the tower... is this true?
One big bomb will take this down. Planes no, 90.0% of buildings can take a plane. Threat is also smaller, osuma want's middle east development.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #18
Essa

wow so many haters here.
Essa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #19
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek
You have a point Skyman this tower does look crap, too futuristic for my likes and built souly to become worlds tallest, it's just a stupid skinny peice of crap with a bunch of stupid little roof's everywhere...

I have to agree that I didn't like the building because it was so skinny but I'll have to wait and see the finished product. I know that as it grows it will keep looking better and better.

From what I've seen, renders don't ever capture the full beauty of a building. I used to think the Nina tower was ugly until I saw pictures of the real thing almost finished.

I think they chose a good design and it should get respect for being the first to break some true height barriers. I know it seems skinny but with the finished product it might look just right. We'll just wait and see. If they decided to cancel the Burj Dubai project and dismantle it now, I think everyone on this forum would be really dissapointed. Deep down we all love and appreciate this building.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #20
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Skidmore & Co came up with that after the design was made. The tower was designed for height alone.
And I'm sure you know better than Adrian Smith.
He stated that he based the 3-wing shape on a desert flower.

Guys, that render doesn't actually have any perspective so if you were looking from the bottom up then the top wouldn't look so skinny. I have to say I liked the previous version (a lot of people didn't because the spire looked unfinished) because it was more organic looking. This version probably looks better when standing underneath or within lets say, 1km distance from it.