daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #21
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle
One big bomb will take this down. Planes no, 90.0% of buildings can take a plane. Threat is also smaller, osuma want's middle east development.

Your from DULLsville? Not Surprised.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #22
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5441

This is a fantastic tower, all the haters are just jealous it's not going up in their neck of the woods.
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #23
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

I wonder what this building looks like when the rooms and offices are lit up at night. I bet it would be spectacular.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #24
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Is it possible to take the actual construction site picture from this angle?
If so, must be spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
That's not the latest render. Here's the newest one:

Also the previous thread can be found here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...80#post7671580

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #25
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10140

yes, hard to believe so many people dislike this tower, its the quintessential tall building!
even though its the friggin tallest building ever created. this is a tall bldg forum and we are watching the daddy of them all being erected right in our face and people are still not happy. jealousy maybe?
all i know is that im a tall bldg fanatic and im watching the tallest bldg of our lifetime rising before our eyes.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #26
Cymen
Just another user

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotila
i bet you won't be saying that when you're in the observation deck
I bet he would loved the tower when it was build in his city, stupid rednecks.....(yes I know he is an aussi)

I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't give a shit!
Cymen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #27
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
yes, hard to believe so many people dislike this tower, its the quintessential tall building!
even though its the friggin tallest building ever created. this is a tall bldg forum and we are watching the daddy of them all being erected right in our face and people are still not happy. jealousy maybe?
all i know is that im a tall bldg fanatic and im watching the tallest bldg of our lifetime rising before our eyes.

Your an avid skyscraper fan, I've seen your work, your enthusiasm and your hope for future talls.

You can't reason with hater's, They are not at the same cognitive level as you and other skyscraper fans on this forum
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #28
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Actually I've heard a few opinions from people who aren't into skyscrapers at all, have seen renders and think it is a monstrosity.
Obviously these people are jealous.

Playing the jealousy card would be typical of parochial nut cases out there (Not you of course Cul god bless ya. ) who refuse to accept the fact that some people see this thing as a modern day Tower of Babel.

For some it is as ostentatious and ridiculous in its scale as it is curious for it's obscure location, built in a city that until now has been unknown for its cityscape, that within a decade will become the skyscraper capital of the world.
A city perhaps promising a fantastic illusion (mirage?) of future wealth, wonder and prosperity in the desert like a sort of Emerald City of Oz,
an illusion that everyone buys into.

What is the Burj's worth once its surpassed? Will people be better off because of it? Is it really necessary to build that tall in the first place? What does the Burj really symbolise? Is it just a big rich kid with building blocks trying to outdo everyone else? If so, what are we really admiring?

I think it will be a remarkable engineering feat and if they go with the silver cladding as we saw in the facade tests (I would laugh hard if they went greenback green ),
you won't be able to help but wonder at it all, love it or hate it, but glad it's not going up in my town, its just not us and not necessary.

Might visit on a stopover on the way to Europe one day and do theme Dubai, but somehow I might look back at photos and think the whole place didn't seem quite so "real"
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #29
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
I don't know why, but some times it looks like some people it's here not for tall buildings
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #30
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain
What is the Burj's worth once its surpassed? Will people be better off because of it? Is it really necessary to build that tall in the first place? What does the Burj really symbolise? Is it just a big rich kid with building blocks trying to outdo everyone else? If so, what are we really admiring?
I've said it before loads of times. The reason why the burj dubai is being built is because it adds value to the whole complex (which is much more than just the tower). I doubt that Emaar would build something if it wasn't going to make money for them. The tower might not be profitable by itself but that's not where Emaar will be trying to make their money. The real profit will come from the mall, the residences, business hub, old town, etc. where without the burj, wouldn't be able to boast like they do about prestige.

So there might actually be some reason behind this rather than it being a giant ***** extension like so many people think.

I have actually shown this to some of my friends aswell (and my Country is generally anti-skyscraper) and they've said the complete opposite to yours. One of them said they like it because it's not as square as most buildings and at the same time isn't as weird looking as really modern buildings. I've shown this to several of my friends and none so far have called it ugly.

Quote:
A city perhaps promising a fantastic illusion (mirage?) of future wealth, wonder and prosperity in the desert like a sort of Emerald City of Oz,
an illusion that everyone buys into
Pretty much I guess. I guess originally a lot of people fell for a promise of a "paradise" on say, the palm jumeirah. Now since the place has become more famous more and more of the dirt is being exposed aswell so this image is gradually disappearing. I'm willing to wait a few years before judging to see what these developments look like for real rather than by just a few renders (which tend to be inaccurate in almost all Dubai projects anyway).
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #31
griftre

Likes (Received): 0

so many haters, tsk tsk tsk....
griftre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #32
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman
This tower is a bull shit, I don't like it at, it looks so stupid and shows me just that the
general aim of the authors of the building to get a highrise and to become the world's tower
Something is telling me your opinion would be reversed if this tower was being built in an American city. What is wrong with trying to build as high as possible, its what man has been trying to achieve for millennia. Don't knock it just because its not in your own back yard.
Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #33
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Did I un-willingly registered, and browsing through a SSP thread, or what?
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #34
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygazer83
What worries me the most-- how are they going to protect this baby from terrorism (or some suicidal American pilot looking for revenge for 9/11)? Dubai is a huge investment for such a volatile region...
I really don't think the burj dubai is at too much of a risk. If I were looking to kill as many people as possible then I'd crash my plane into the jumeirah beach residence instead of the burj.

There's nothing wrong with not liking this tower but people should give proper reasons as to why not. Don't just say it sucks.

BTW, there is no way to protect this building from an attack like 9/11. We know that A380s will be flying to Dubai in the future and I doubt there is a structure on Earth that could withstand one of those loaded with fuel
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #35
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5441

Quote:
Actually I've heard a few opinions from people who aren't into skyscrapers at all, have seen renders and think it is a monstrosity.
Obviously these people are jealous.

Playing the jealousy card would be typical of parochial nut cases out there (Not you of course Cul god bless ya. ) who refuse to accept the fact that some people see this thing as a modern day Tower of Babel.

For some it is as ostentatious and ridiculous in its scale as it is curious for it's obscure location, built in a city that until now has been unknown for its cityscape, that within a decade will become the skyscraper capital of the world.
an illusion that everyone buys into.

I think it will be a remarkable engineering feat and if they go with the silver cladding as we saw in the facade tests (I would laugh hard if they went greenback green ),
you won't be able to help but wonder at it all, love it or hate it, but glad it's not going up in my town, its just not us and not necessary.

Might visit on a stopover on the way to Europe one day and do theme Dubai, but somehow I might look back at photos and think the whole place didn't seem quite so "real"
Someone call Hans Blix cos that is some weapon's grade baloneyium!

I mean Damn! Do you actually believe what you just wrote their Curtain?

You go gaga over Eureka and you have the audacity to talk down the Burj Dubai?!

I mean c'mon, get real! This is just pathetic.

All I can conclude is that you are not a man of vision. But fair enough, they are few and far between, I'm glad there are some in Dubai at least.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #36
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

Dubai has got imagination and this is becoming increasingly difficult for some people to digest. More they try to criticize more rediculous they look.
Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #37
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Regarding terrorism and Dubai...
While I'm sure many agree Bush (George Junior) is a complete idiot he is:
1. deep in the pockets of the oil industry (Kyoto agreement went out the window because of opposition from Esso, Exxon, and the Republican's biggest backers - Enron),
2. a liar - the war in Iraq was America trying to fit the facts around what they intended to do (liberalise the middle east in the hope that democrarcy could spread to Iran, Saudi Arabia etc.)

he was I must agree begrudigingly right about Dubai not being a threat to the West IF it was allowed to run the ports... the problem was the stigma of the "middle east". The majority of uninformed Americans would like to paint a lot of the people in the region with the same brush... we can't blame them directly - the media plays a huge part. I'm sure many in Europe would think Dubai must be a "problem area" and not a safe place to go because of it's close proximity to other countries making headlines. But it is a very open, liberal society - women don't have to cover up, etc. etc. It maybe a kingdom but it's a great example of how one "can work".

It's no wonder that at the end of the last thread somebody asked "is it ok for a Westerner to go there". People wondered if he was joking. I'm 100% sure he wasn't - but that's the picture of the region that people assume to be the case.

Getting back to Bush, while he was right about Dubai he was stupid to not understand that Americans wouldn't "like the idea of a Dubai company owning US ports" and not see it as any different to a European company owning them. (According to polls) greater than 70% of Americans were against the Dubai port deal. Ironically Bush and Congress would have blocked the deal for a Chinese company to buy that US oil company but were happy about the port deal.

No, I don't think Dubai has any worries over terrorism at all. The area is reasonably safe I'd have thought. Maybe some fundamentalists would be unhappy with the West-leaning attitude of consumerism but has anyone tried to attack it? I sure haven't read anything to suggest that.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #38
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Those are a lot of good points, Googlespeakoil. Some of which I had thought about but had wondered about transitioning into exactly how to describe it on the forum. I'm sure whomever asked about being safe visiting Dubai wasn't joking but again that's just how it is here, even though most people on this forum have been able to see instead the prosperity and kindness of Dubai.

The point stated about 90% of buildings taking planes I would sadly have to say is mistaken at best. I'm not a structural engineer but several sources that studied the aftermath said that very few towers anywhere, could take a hit like that and stand, for obvious reasons.

I'm curious if that older render with the deep blue background was comparatively accurate to the nice silver one on the first page...

Man if we could still somehow get those photo montages going again, that'd be GREAT! I'm guessing Chelsea Tower is still locked? I wonder if there is really any static location photographers could go to because that whole site is changing, but one spot would serve well for a timelapse even if it only stayed consistent for a few months.

Until then, thanks to everyone taking their time and resources to photograph the tower and give everyone else an eye into the status of this wonderful and amazing project.

If I was able to be there, I'd love to update the forum too but sadly, I'm not
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #39
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

I'm from El Salvador and I love the Burj Dubai, since I saw it, I liked so much.
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #40
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Personally, I think the Burj is a nice looking tower. Does that make me a hater for not having a orgasm for not saying, 'OMG!!!111 BURJ DUBAI IS THE [email protected]@*u()#u(i)? No. From a design aspect, it's a nice tower. It's true feature is that it's tall.

Also, to call someone jealous just because they don't like the Burj or they prefer other towers to the Burj is stupid. God forbid other people can't have their own opinion.

Quote:
This tower is a bull shit, I don't like it at, it looks so stupid and shows me just that the
general aim of the authors of the building to get a highrise and to become the world's tower
Except for him. His opinion is no longer valad seeing as how he is about as dumb as a box of rocks.