daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #41
unccmyway

Likes (Received): 0

you might want to spell "valid" correctly before you call someone else as "dumb as a box of rocks."
unccmyway no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #42
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
Does that make me a hater for not having a orgasm for not saying, 'OMG!!!111 BURJ DUBAI IS THE [email protected]@*u()#u(i)?
Yes!
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #43
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccmyway
you might want to spell "valid" correctly before you call someone else as "dumb as a box of rocks."
You might want to capitialize 'you.'

See how stupid that sounds? This is the internet. Not a college classroom. Unleezz eye tawlk liek dis, then there is no need for anyone to correct anyone.
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #44
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

googlepeakoil's post

I agree with everything googlepeakoil is saying. He is exactly correct, and the Burj Dubai Tower is the greatest feet of Engineering happening in the world right now. Burj Dubai will be to Dubai what the Effel Tower is to Paris, what the ESB is to NY, and what the Pyramids are to Eygypt.
Keep in mind the everyone hated the Chrysler Building in NY when it was being built, the Effel Tower in Paris was also hated when it was built.
CrazyDave está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #45
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3420

Good point!
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #46
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Wow! burj dubai is really getting up there! I just noticed that it resembles a slender, more futuristic version of sears tower (multiple skyscrapers bunched into one. Or maybe not.

Does anybody know how many people will be working in there once it's done? 10,000+? And is a tower this tall ever going to be profitable? I heard buildings are profitable only up till the 40th or so floor. I heard the Petronas Towers are still getting a loss.

And I have a general office lease question that may sound stupid: How do office leases work? If the rent is $25 a square foot...do you pay it monthly, quarterly, or annually?
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #47
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

wow. When one wakes up in the morning, you never know what to expect on this thread. Amazing

I vote for loving the design, engineering aspects, and the city it is located, as well as the people. They are very kind and generous.

AD was right. I also feel like I am at SSP sometimes or I am at the BD trolling update.

I think most of it is because there are many teenagers here trying to act like grown up engineers/politicians/scientists/developers, etc.

Please children, quit picking fights with each other or I will have to come over and spank you.

DL:
I miss the BD news articles you used to post. Any more lately?

Wish you were there for the close up photographs you were getting. Those were the best of all the supertalls to date.

If everybody thinks there is too much on the thread this soon, next year at this time will be terrible.

BTW, I think it will be a good time to start posting the basic current stats on the beginning of the threads, so new people who will start to come will get the basic information at the beginning of the thread. The higher it gets, the more of the same questions will be asked over and over again. Nobody has the time to research the past 13 threads and it is only on 30 floors.

When it hits floor 150, we will probably be on part 100.

Hope you are feeling better Flo.

Last edited by Darth Shemp; March 18th, 2006 at 04:07 AM.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #48
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

yes maybe one day Burj Dubai will get eclipsed but Burj Dubai will always have a place in history because it was the worlds new tallest building on completion trumping 500m Taipei 101 by over 200m and also not since ESB we have a skyscraper as the worlds tallest structure.
lets just enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #49
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3420

Is this the first time in History that the worlds tallest building has beaten the previous world's tallest building by over 200m, and if yes, does anyone know what the previous record was??

Either way, beating the previous world's tallest by 200 metres is incredibly insane!!!
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #50
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3405

Pic taken every 1,5 months
14.09.05------------------------------------->28.10.05------------------------------------>12.12.05------------------------------------->27.01.06------------------------------------>18.03.06
[IMG]http://************/k3kqav.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://************/k3kqhg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://************/k3kqkm.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1.************/mmbfj4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1.************/rm0dwi.jpg[/IMG]

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #51
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 321

I know some people have differing opinions (duh), but I think there's a difference between saying: "nah, I don't like this tower at all. Just doesn't do anything for me" and saying: "gargle bla BIG!...ick! ack biff MONSTROSITY! frrt blip!...meh! bah POINTLESS ha! ha! zork! chuga luga WASTE OF MONEY! blah! FEED THE POOR!"
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #52
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61280

Ofcourse there is are no rational economic reasons why this building is build, it is build to put Dubai on the map and nothing else. Is this a bad thing, I don't think so. There are lot of things that have no clear reason why they exist, why was the eifeltower build?

Western and East Asian companies love Dubai for making this building, it's a good testcase for new technology, they are the ones that profit the most from this project and the whole building boom in Dubai. And I don't mean only financial profits.

I don't think that everybody who doesn't like this building would love to see it build in their city. Their are no laws that say you've got to love it because it will be the tallest building in the world.

And yes, there is no unlimited economic growth in Dubai. The property market will have an reajustment in the future, were lots of money will be lost by alot of people. Probally some of the critics of the Burj Dubai believe that this will hapen in the near future. I don't think a crisis in the property market will have a big influence on the Burj Dubai because it's such a landmark building. The real effect will be on all the other projects in Dubai. Investers then will think twice before building a supertall.

ps.

It's growing fast, thanks for the timeline Tom Green!
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #53
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 762

Thanks, Tom green. Nice update indeed.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #54
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

has anyone ever felt that Lloyd Wrights mile high/1600m 1956 Illinois skyscraper was pei's inspiration for BurjDubai?
what vision Frank Loyyd Wright had back 50 years ago!!! amazing

Old March 18th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #55
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Shemp

Hope you are feeling better Flo.

yes, thanks
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #56
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

You can see the wings are lagging behind but they've still grown a bit
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #57
DamienK

Likes (Received): 83

The chief architect of the Burj Dubai is actually Adrian D. Smith, Design Partner at Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP.

Frank Lloyd Wright actually proposed atomic power elevators be used for the mile high tower!
DamienK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #58
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Plot Plan and Aerial

I was just thinking. We probably should have Dubai Lovers Plot Plan, and Brian's aerial on this Tread for people that just join us.
CrazyDave está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #59
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Tonight:

[IMG]http://i1.************/rmrxpx.jpg[/IMG]
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #60
Javierix

Likes (Received): 45

Thank you for the nocturnal picture. There are a lot of cranes in the place. Very amazing picture.
Javierix no está en línea   Reply With Quote