daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #61
Greg

Likes (Received): 59

Great pic. Thanks Altin
Greg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #62
Biakko
Fighting spirit

Likes (Received): 0

Great nocturnal picture indeed.
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #63
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2782

Thanks AltinD very nice photo you took! (and one of the few nightshots, so double thanks for this)
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #64
DARKNIGHT
Dreamin of Dubai

Likes (Received): 1

Hmm...this thread has become interesting in these sense a lot of other issues are being raised around the building.

I think from my avatar most ppl will know I love Dubai. This building imo has the perfect design for the WTB. I wouldn't have it any other way. Politically it will be interesting to see what happens in Dubai. I know the real estate market will crash. The only question is how hard will it crash. At first I was soo happy about all the projects being announced for Dubai. Yes, the demand is strong right now but there's no way they will go through with everything that has been approved. The crash will ensure that. The Burj ofcourse will go through. My only concern is that if someone really wanted to bring the burj down, they wouldn't do it now in it's construction phase. They would wait till the building is 100% finished with all the money and materials being put into it. I know this is very cynical but this is my concerns. I hope nothing terrible like that every happens because Dubai, along with Hong Kong, Shanghai and other prospering cities in the world symbolize future growth, hope, and something to look forward to.

I know the ppl who hate this building don't like other forumers accusing them of the jealousy card but I would say for half (not all) that is the case and those haters know it.

Now back to the usual type of posts...hehe damn that tower is growing like crazzzy! (as a skyscraper fan...i'll never get tired of these type of posts because every true fan wants to express their excitement!).

Here's to Dubai and hoping they acheive as many goals as possible without going overboard and becoming too capitalistic!
DARKNIGHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #65
Darth Shemp
Armani

Thanks AD.

Best supertall photo of the month

Smussuw city shot with the BD in the background is a close second.

Last edited by Darth Shemp; March 18th, 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #66
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKNIGHT
I know the real estate market will crash. The only question is how hard will it crash. At first I was soo happy about all the projects being announced for Dubai. Yes, the demand is strong right now but there's no way they will go through with everything that has been approved. The crash will ensure that.

and what makes you think so ?
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #67
DARKNIGHT
Dreamin of Dubai

lol Flo...I know you are very pro Dubai and so am I...so by no way do I want this to be an argurment, but there are serious signs of a crash approaching.

The projections they have for ppl migrating to the city are a little too high. The buildings they have now and the ones under construction are fine and ok but if they go through with everything that has been approved, there will be a crash. The supply will exceed the demand and I say if prices continue to rise at the current rate we'll see a crash latest by 2009. They need to keep a middle class in Dubai. Every strong economy needs a middle class. That middle class is being destroyed by incredibly high rent and housing prices. This is all good for rich businessmen who can afford to buy property for the sake of appreciation but it's hurting the middle people. It's starting to happen with stories of lower middle class families living with another familes to come up with sufficient money for rent. The rate realty prices are rising need to steadily decrease to avoid a crash. This may hurt investment slightly now but it will be better for dubai in the long long run( I'm talking like 20 years down the road). However, even with a crash, it's not like Dubai will turn into a ghost town, it will still be a very prosperous city since Sheikh Mohammed has a backup plan with backup money in case of such an occasion. He's too smart to let a crash ruin the city. He recently made a very smart move by finally issuing the real estate register law.

"The 29-article law gives the right of ownership of properties in the Emirate to UAE nationals, GCC nationals and companies wholly owned by them and public joint stock companies."
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=327305

He's doing it at the perfect time as they are serious talks of the buble bursting in the realty market. This will keep the market strong for a year or two but If all the current and approved projects in that Dubai Boom thread ( http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=300575) (which is an amazing thread, props to malec and other forumers for sucha great job)go through "& prices continue to rise" there will be an inevitable crash.

Like I said above though, It will just mean that projects and developments will need to be scaled down and there could be 1 maybe 2 years at most where growth will be levelled off). Dubai will still be a prospering city at the end of that period and will continue to grow afterwards.
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #68
cool890

Cool890

When will the wings of the structure get to Tier 2

Last edited by cool890; March 19th, 2006 at 04:12 AM.
cool890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #69
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3689

Looks like a monster, good looking one ofcourse...

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #70
cool890

The people who hate this tower suck
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #71
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10298

wow, i count atleast 35 levels to top of core. that equates to approx 133m high.
great shot

Last edited by CULWULLA; March 19th, 2006 at 10:06 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #72
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 332

Yeah I was thinking the same, like ~22F in wings and nearly 37 in core but I'm probably a little off Still though... Wow!
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #73
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

awesome pic Altin!
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #74
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke
Someone call Hans Blix cos that is some weapon's grade baloneyium!
I mean Damn! Do you actually believe what you just wrote their Curtain?
You go gaga over Eureka and you have the audacity to talk down the Burj Dubai?!
I mean c'mon, get real! This is just pathetic.
All I can conclude is that you are not a man of vision. But fair enough, they are few and far between, I'm glad there are some in Dubai at least.
You didn't read the post mate. It's alternative point of view that people have and the point is, they are entitled to it,
just as much as the people that will worship at its entrance everyday.
My point of view is at the end of the post. I don't hate the tower, but I do question it, and I don't fall for the "share our vision" pitch, it just doesn't sell

By the way, sending you a present by express post a Burj Dubai T-shirt that you can wear around town, it will suit you, don't worry about the incredulous expressions you get, the point is, YOU'LL feel great.
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #75
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 21

we should all be thankful that in our lifetime, something as great as this is being built. This is one of the greatest legacies of the human genius. everybody should be proud of this engineering feat. this marks the birth of the new generation of skycrapers and it's in our lifetime. Future generations will definitely be proud of the people who have lived today.
c0kelitr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #76
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKNIGHT
lol Flo...I know you are very pro Dubai and so am I...so by no way do I want this to be an argurment, but there are serious signs of a crash approaching.

The projections they have for ppl migrating to the city are a little too high. The buildings they have now and the ones under construction are fine and ok but if they go through with everything that has been approved, there will be a crash. The supply will exceed the demand and I say if prices continue to rise at the current rate we'll see a crash latest by 2009. They need to keep a middle class in Dubai. Every strong economy needs a middle class. That middle class is being destroyed by incredibly high rent and housing prices. This is all good for rich businessmen who can afford to buy property for the sake of appreciation but it's hurting the middle people. It's starting to happen with stories of lower middle class families living with another familes to come up with sufficient money for rent. The rate realty prices are rising need to steadily decrease to avoid a crash. This may hurt investment slightly now but it will be better for dubai in the long long run( I'm talking like 20 years down the road). However, even with a crash, it's not like Dubai will turn into a ghost town, it will still be a very prosperous city since Sheikh Mohammed has a backup plan with backup money in case of such an occasion. He's too smart to let a crash ruin the city. He recently made a very smart move by finally issuing the real estate register law.

"The 29-article law gives the right of ownership of properties in the Emirate to UAE nationals, GCC nationals and companies wholly owned by them and public joint stock companies."
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=327305

He's doing it at the perfect time as they are serious talks of the buble bursting in the realty market. This will keep the market strong for a year or two but If all the current and approved projects in that Dubai Boom thread ( http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=300575) (which is an amazing thread, props to malec and other forumers for sucha great job)go through "& prices continue to rise" there will be an inevitable crash.

Like I said above though, It will just mean that projects and developments will need to be scaled down and there could be 1 maybe 2 years at most where growth will be levelled off). Dubai will still be a prospering city at the end of that period and will continue to grow afterwards.

i don't want to turn this in a property market discussion but in some points i cannot agree with you.

prices for apts and villas are in fact not rising anymore and have reached there top level.

the will slowly fall down once more and more projects are completed, but this was no avoided by the new property law for at least one year.

also, a lot of new projects are mainly office, such as business bay, and there is more demand for commercial space than for residential.

projects are still selling within days or weeks.
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #77
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

What they need to do is build loads of low cost housing because that's where most of the demand is. Certain properties that are cheaper or that are relatively low cost sell out rediculously fast so that's the proof. One of the reasons why rents are rising so much is because there is a lot still under construction but another reason is that there is not enough cheap housing either existing or being built. Because of this I think rents will stay high for a while
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #78
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

rents won't go down for at least another 3 years....

that is for sure.
but he was talking about prices, not rents .
anyway.

i doubt a real crash will happen, it will be an up and down, just like everywhere, only at a much bigger scale.
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #79
DARKNIGHT
Dreamin of Dubai

Ok maybe i'm not up to date on the latest prices of villas and such. If prices for houses and villas have reached their top level than that is good news. I personally feel there is still a chance of a crash. There is just soooo much under construction, approved and I'm sure some of the proposals will go through as well. I know most of these buildings are selling out within weeks. I think the problem will be 3-5 years down the road when there will really much more space than is needed. It's the maintenance costs that can turn into a serious problem. As much as I love the growth in Dubai right now, I can't see it sustaining that kind of growth for soo long. However, prices levelling off are good sign which means that a crash could be avoided. I dunno, time will tell. Right now there is no danger of anything happening, and for Dubai's sake I hope I'm wrong and they keep this crazy amazing growth/boom period for at least another 10 years.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #80
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10298

i think every now and then we should post height milestones when Burj Dubai climbs its way skywards
atm its approx lev35/36 or 133m tall
this is about as high as Sydney Harbour Bridge! (134m)

just gives people an idea how high it is as its growing.