daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #81
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain
You didn't read the post mate. It's alternative point of view that people have and the point is, they are entitled to it,
just as much as the people that will worship at its entrance everyday.
My point of view is at the end of the post. I don't hate the tower, but I do question it, and I don't fall for the "share our vision" pitch, it just doesn't sell

By the way, sending you a present by express post a Burj Dubai T-shirt that you can wear around town, it will suit you, don't worry about the incredulous expressions you get, the point is, YOU'LL feel great.
Oh c'mon, 'Tower of Babel' 'monstrosity' etc etc, I wonder if you would have said the same things about the Chrysler Building, the Empire State Tower? or SWFC? or any tall tower for that matter?

Were any of them needed? That's not the point and you know it, so why go on about.

I mean have you even been to Dubai?

What they are doing to the place, is truly visionary in scope. Other countries in the region wasted away their fortunes, but Dubai are investing it into the future. The BD actually has more of a point than the SWFC, Chrysler or Petronas ever had.

P.S Thanks for the shirt!

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #82
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

You're blowing bubbles again Locke, clearly you want to join the Dubai version.

Here's a postcard.
http://www.motherjones.com/commentar..._paradise.html
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #83
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Ok, may I know what is the point you're trying to make, exept that you're confused and don't know it for your self?

BTW, the developer of Q1 is planing a TALLER version/replica for Dubai to be called D1, and to be build next to Palazzo Versace Hotel, also by an Australian developer. I wander what's your take on that.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #84
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 500

Wow motherjones is damn dumb.

PS. USA invited bird flue come on?
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #85
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2841

^ well its not currently under construction, so i guess most peoples take onit is that we dont give a ****.....

can we start a thread called "i cant be arsed with civilized discussion about the burjdubai, but want to make my voice heard when i babble total bollox"

back to the topic PLEASE
nezzybaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #86
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Wow! Who said that night shots at works are not nice?
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #87
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

If you want to go for maximum efficiency of floor space then you build a big boring square based tower shaped column (of which there are many - and there were 2 in New York that aren't anymore). Given that it's going higher than anything has before (and even though it's an area not known for typhoons and hurricanes) it's obviously sensible to have the tower taper the higher it rises.
Now a more sensible use of floor space would be a circular design (that tapers to combat wind loads as it rises).
2 spring to mind - the London Gerkin (aka Swiss RE?) and the "Metropolis? Tower" which was unfortunately never built (I think it was originally announced for Japan and then Hong Kong - the Japan crash of the 1990s killed that unfortunately). It was to be another 800-1000m tower.
So while the 3 wing shape is inefficient in terms of floor area it's still a magnificent looking skyscraper. It is also a cone shape for the last 50 floors or so as the 3 wings effectively dissapear by then.
The renders look absolutely stunning - and in reality I'm sure it will be even more awe inspiring... imho and all that.

PS. Love the night shot! Great work. PPS as a tip for people attempting these I suggest from bitter experience if it appears blurry (due to the long exposures) - rest it on something and use the self-timer that way it wont move fractionally when you press the shutter.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #88
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

^ The camera was resting on something (the roof of my car ) and 2 sec self-timer was used. However the distance is almost 1 km and it was clouddy & dusty.

BTW, being mostly a residential/hotel tower, unlike commercial US/HK supertalls, the three wing structure maximise the view.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #89
Darth Shemp
Armani

What floor is 100m?

Remember, construction photos show underground levels.

Thanks
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM   #90
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10115

scaling from my BD elevation, the floor slab for lev26 is 99.5m bove grd.
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM   #91
SOLOMON
North America USA-Canada

Likes (Received): 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Tonight:

[IMG]http://i1.************/rmrxpx.jpg[/IMG]

very amazing picture, nice nocturnal view.
SOLOMON no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:37 PM   #92
enjoi
Kapitan Paleta

Likes (Received): 8

Woah! Awesome picture. :O
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM   #93
googlepeakoil

It is an amazing pic. Perfectly sharp considering the long exposure needed for such a shot. I wonder if the wings have slowed down a bit because they are having to change some of the climbing things that are used to pore the concrete... still - would have expected only one of them to have had to stop while the other 2 carried on.
It looks like the floorplates are now there for almost every floor now - even the ones in the core upto about 3 from the top.
I think SWFC is at least 10 metres ahead at the moment... of course we know which one will win in the end
I also would say that while SWFC updated it's design for the worse (changing the circular hole to a square / trapezoid shape) the design change for Burj Dubai is on the other hand definitely for the better!
In the early design the cone shape rose steelpy and then had a more stumpy top (floors 150-165?). The new design carries the cone shape to a sharper point (150-180+ imho). It definitely appears to be about 100m taller (705m -> 800m+).
I've seen enough renders of the two that I can spot which design is which a mile away
PS. Is it 150 floors of concrete and aprox 39 steel - after that the floorplate would appear to be about 5 metres across which would make for one hell of a weird office. Imagine a single thin lift and stairwell in the middle - and windows down to the ground on all sides... the ground over 700m away ;-)
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #94
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

I love this pic!!

BTW: How tall would the building be? 700m? 1000m?
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:46 PM   #95
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

700 to 1000!!!!

Nobody knows!!
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:55 PM   #96
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

Ok thanks, i hope that it would be 1000m
Old March 21st, 2006, 09:04 PM   #97
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil
PS. Is it 150 floors of concrete and aprox 39 steel
just for the record, it is 154F of concrete, which equals to 575m.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM   #98
Darth Shemp
Armani

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
scaling from my BD elevation, the floor slab for lev26 is 99.5m bove grd.
Thank you. I am looking forward to your diagrams soon. Getting close to April quickly!
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM   #99
ra7968
Lone Red Rider

I have seen a plan of the concrete structure. Each of The concrete
setbacks occurs on the same floor on all 3 wings. In other words, the concrete wings will be identical. I can only imagine that the "spiral" nature
and the ultimate height (and therefore the final proportions) will be fixed in steel near the ending of construction.

My guess is that the wing cores are waiting for the nosecones to catch
up before the reconfiguration can occur. In the mean time, I am sure they
are stepping up the podium work, which we so rarely get a glimpse of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil
It is an amazing pic. Perfectly sharp considering the long exposure needed for such a shot. I wonder if the wings have slowed down a bit because they are having to change some of the climbing things that are used to pore the concrete... still - would have expected only one of them to have had to stop while the other 2 carried on.
It looks like the floorplates are now there for almost every floor now - even the ones in the core upto about 3 from the top.
I think SWFC is at least 10 metres ahead at the moment... of course we know which one will win in the end
I also would say that while SWFC updated it's design for the worse (changing the circular hole to a square / trapezoid shape) the design change for Burj Dubai is on the other hand definitely for the better!
In the early design the cone shape rose steelpy and then had a more stumpy top (floors 150-165?). The new design carries the cone shape to a sharper point (150-180+ imho). It definitely appears to be about 100m taller (705m -> 800m+).
I've seen enough renders of the two that I can spot which design is which a mile away
PS. Is it 150 floors of concrete and aprox 39 steel - after that the floorplate would appear to be about 5 metres across which would make for one hell of a weird office. Imagine a single thin lift and stairwell in the middle - and windows down to the ground on all sides... the ground over 700m away ;-)
ra7968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:15 AM   #100
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I actually hope it doesn't hit 1000m since it would look rediculous. It looks perfect between 700 and 800m. Over 800 it's stretching it a bit and it starts to look less good as you get higher since the tower has to be thinner.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote