daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:31 AM   #101
jai_gandhi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I dont agree with you. I think the taller it is the better it is.
jai_gandhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2006, 07:47 AM   #102
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

it's surprisingly fast.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:02 AM   #103
Melanie B
BlizWizz

Likes (Received): 0

The more I think about it, some of the renders of the mega projects suggest that Dubai will look remarkably like the city in Aeon Flux the movie, the SciFi megatropolis is being built as we watch. Will it be a Dystopian image or the opposite, Utopia by the sea, I guess we will have to wait ten years to find out?

I also wonder about the effects of sea level rise, the gulf region experienced a more dramatic effect due to sea level rise than many other regions just after the last ice age due to the shallowness of the slopes of the sea basin. If ice melt is accelerating as currently looks to be the case, the 1 or 2 millimeters rise per year may be more dramatic, this could effect Dubai badly. Could we be left with a load of spires sticking out of a shallow sea in two hundred years? Maybe business bay might become business shallow sea!
Melanie B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:11 AM   #104
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

you mean that Dubai will be flooded in the future?.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:12 PM   #105
valhar2000

Then they'll just have to spend another few billion dollars building dikes around the city. Given that the Persian Gulf is almost a closed sea, they should not have too much trouble with storms, high tides and tsunamis (compared to such places as Japan and Central America).
valhar2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #106
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

rising water levels are not only a problem in dubai, and do you really believe those towers will still stand in 200 years..
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:05 PM   #107
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B
The more I think about it, some of the renders of the mega projects suggest that Dubai will look remarkably like the city in Aeon Flux the movie, the SciFi megatropolis is being built as we watch. Will it be a Dystopian image or the opposite, Utopia by the sea, I guess we will have to wait ten years to find out?
Or maybe somewhere in between like any other city. There's a new video of one business bay that really reminds me of the Aeon Flux movie (was a good film but the ending sucked).
One Business Bay Video & Animation
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #108
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle
One big bomb will take this down. Planes no, 90.0% of buildings can take a plane. Threat is also smaller, osuma want's middle east development.
One big bomb will blow anything up for that matter... although, I do agree that the threat of terrorist attack on this structure has to be minimal because of the location. think about it, Osama is probably happy that a middle east country is performing such an engineering feat like this and putting themselves on the map.. letting themselves be known!

90% of buildings CAN NOT take a plane... well it depends on the plane.. it your talking about a small Cessna, then fine... if your talking about a jet, then thats a different story.. what happened to the WTC was incredible, and it was amazing that they stood sooo long considering the consequences.. those were FLYING bombs (full of JET FUEL)! Its been said by many other engineers that most other buildings would have collapsed within moments of going through that (if not instantly).. by the way, the WTC was built in mind with taking the impact of a small Boeing jet.. I think it was a DC-7 (correct me if Im wrong), so those twins were quite mighty despite the supposed design flaws.. I also heard that they could withstand 250mph winds!! they werent as shabby as many people I hear nowadays make them out to be..

I dont know about the burj, but the designers did say that the Burj could withstand the same type of attack as the WTC took.. I dont know if I believe it... could it be because of the concrete?? no matter how thick that concrete is, the Burj is so thin towards the top, that it looks like it would take just as fatal of a blow as the WTC took if that same situation unraveled I hate to say it..

How do they figure out that sort of thing anyway?
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #109
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 655

So apparently there was a riot and strike by the workers, here is an article with the details. I wonder if this will become large enough of an issue to affect the completion date.

Quote:
Workers Riot at Site of Dubai Skyscraper

By JIM KRANE
Associated Press Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates

Construction on a skyscraper expected to be the world's tallest was interrupted when Asian workers upset over low wages and poor treatment smashed cars and offices in a riot that an official said Wednesday caused nearly $1 million in damage.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/22/D8GGPJJG3.html
Coldwake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:53 PM   #110
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

no, it is already solved and they are working again.

they need to take care of this, there have to be minimum wages in dubai.

we r discussing this in the UAE section:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=329695

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=7725858
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM   #111
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

hmm.....
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:17 AM   #112
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

To solve all these problems with the workers, etc, a minimum wage system MUST be put in place.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:26 AM   #113
TGSwimFly

Back on part 12 I asked about fire emergencies and what kind of plans have been made to organize evacuation in a serious fire but didn't get any info.

Anyone know?
There must be plans...

I'd hate to go down those stairs...
TGSwimFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:41 AM   #114
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica
One big bomb will blow anything up for that matter... although, I do agree that the threat of terrorist attack on this structure has to be minimal because of the location. think about it, Osama is probably happy that a middle east country is performing such an engineering feat like this and putting themselves on the map.. letting themselves be known!

90% of buildings CAN NOT take a plane... well it depends on the plane.. it your talking about a small Cessna, then fine... if your talking about a jet, then thats a different story.. what happened to the WTC was incredible, and it was amazing that they stood sooo long considering the consequences.. those were FLYING bombs (full of JET FUEL)! Its been said by many other engineers that most other buildings would have collapsed within moments of going through that (if not instantly).. by the way, the WTC was built in mind with taking the impact of a small Boeing jet.. I think it was a DC-7 (correct me if Im wrong), so those twins were quite mighty despite the supposed design flaws.. I also heard that they could withstand 250mph winds!! they werent as shabby as many people I hear nowadays make them out to be..

I dont know about the burj, but the designers did say that the Burj could withstand the same type of attack as the WTC took.. I dont know if I believe it... could it be because of the concrete?? no matter how thick that concrete is, the Burj is so thin towards the top, that it looks like it would take just as fatal of a blow as the WTC took if that same situation unraveled I hate to say it..

How do they figure out that sort of thing anyway?
Just to clarify they actually planned for a plane as large as the ones that hit on 9/11 I believe. However, they assumed that such an event would be an accident, much like the previous incident with the ESB in 50's. They assumed it would be a jet coming into land in bad weather. Hence, they assumed it would be carrying little fuel. And that it would be flying at low speeds. I doubt the burj would collapse like the WTC did, mainly because of the shape. A structrual failure would probably result in the above section 'falling off' rather than total collapse. But I'm sure it has been planed for, we have much stronger materials, and much more sophisticated ways of simulating situations today. Lets just hope we never find out if that is enough shall way?

Back to topic, something needs to be done in Dubai to sort out the situations with the workers. There are too many people in the world who will exploit people for an increased profit without something to stop them. And more employees need to take action like this too force it through quicker.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:52 AM   #115
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Also Dubai will be a hub for a whole load of A380s. Imaginw what one of those filled up with fuel could do.

If it hit anywhere near the top it would cut straight through and the top would fall clean off. Not sure what would happen then
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:47 AM   #116
Omega

Likes (Received):

Workers riot at Dubai skyscraper project

Workers complain of low wages, miserable conditions

Mar. 22, 2006. 02:51 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Asian workers angered by low salaries and mistreatment smashed cars and offices in a riot that interrupted construction Wednesday of what is meant to be the world's tallest skyscraper — part of which will be a luxury hotel run by fashion designer Giorgio Armani.

The violence, causing damage estimated at almost $1.2 million Cdn, illustrated the growing unrest among foreign workers who are the linchpin of Dubai's building boom.

The rampage took place Tuesday night when some 2,500 workers on the emerging Burj Dubai tower and surrounding housing developments chased and beat security officers, then broke into temporary offices and smashed computers and files and destroyed about two dozen cars and construction machines, witnesses said.

When the labourers, who work for the Dubai-based firm Al Naboodah Laing O'Rourke, returned to the vast construction site Wednesday, they issued demands for better pay and employment conditions and refused to return to work. In a sympathy strike, thousands of labourers building a new terminal at Dubai International Airport also lay down their tools.

"Everyone is angry here. No one will work," said Khalid Farouk, 39, a labourer with Al Naboodah. Others said their leaders were asking for pay raises.

Skilled carpenters on the site earn just $8.86 Cdn per day, with labourers getting $4.66.

The riot was a rare outbreak of violence — but not the first sign of discontent among the foreign workers who form the overwhelming majority of private sector workers in most of the oil-rich countries of the Gulf. There have been strikes in recent months in Qatar and Oman. In April, Bangladeshi workers stormed their own embassy in Kuwait, protesting working conditions that human rights activists have denounced as "slave-like."

Millions of foreign workers have flooded into the Gulf countries, outweighing the population of citizens in Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar. In Saudi Arabia, foreign workers make up about 21 per cent of the population of more than 26 million, but labour unrest among the workers is rare in the tightly controlled country.

In all the countries, the foreigners include professionals — doctors, scientists, oil workers and businessmen — skilled labourers such as electricians, and unskilled workers such as restaurant staff, maids and servants. Human rights groups have often decried abuse of low-paid foreign workers by their employers, particularly of women in domestic labour.

In the Emirates, where some estimates say more than three-quarters of the population of around five million people are foreigners, migrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China and elsewhere have provided the low-wage muscle behind one of the world's great building booms.

Dubai, one of seven Emirates making up the country, hosts some 300,000 South Asians working on temporary contracts in the construction field alone, helping propel it from a primitive town of 20,000 five decades ago to a gridlocked metropolis of 1.5 million — only 12 per cent of whom are citizens.

But the workers complain that their employers often withhold pay. They enjoy few legal protections and no minimum wage, work in the extreme Gulf heat, and many of them live in military-style desert camps, with too few government inspectors to ensure proper living conditions.

Angry workers in the Emirates held more than two dozen strikes over unpaid salaries last year, mainly in Dubai. The Labour Ministry responded with a crackdown on companies, helping win back pay and other benefits for workers in some cases.

Labour officials said contract-breaching firms were embarrassing the image-conscious Emirates by attracting condemnation from the United Nations, the United States and Human Rights Watch.

On Wednesday, crowds of blue-garbed workers milled in the shadow of the grey concrete Burj Dubai, now 36 stories tall, while leaders negotiated with officials from the company and the Ministry of Labour.

An Interior Ministry official who investigates labour issues, Lt.-Col. Rashid Bakhit Al Jumairi, said the workers were petitioning Al Naboodah, one of the Emirates' biggest construction conglomerates, for overtime pay, better medical care and humane treatment by foremen.

"They are asking for small things," Al Jumairi said. "I promised them I would sit with them until everything is settled."

Later Wednesday, a spokesman for Al Naboodah Laing O'Rourke blamed the violence on "misinformation and misunderstanding with some of our workforce."

The spokesman, Mark Way, said in a statement that the "issues have now been addressed and resolved" with the workers. He said the employees were returning to work. He gave no details on how the workers' complaints were addressed, and workers' representatives could not be immediately reached to confirm they were returning to the job.

The unrest marred what otherwise appears to be smooth construction of the Burj Dubai, which is to be a spire-shaped, stainless-steel-skinned tower expected to soar far beyond 100 storeys. A section of the tower is to hold a 172-room luxury hotel operated by Armani, the Italian fashion designer. The $900 million Burj is due to be completed by 2008.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:34 AM   #117
Burj Duboy

That´s worse than here in Brazil where a carpenter makes US$13.82 a day or US$ 337.75 a month.
Burj Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM   #118
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
i think every now and then we should post height milestones when Burj Dubai climbs its way skywards
atm its approx lev35/36 or 133m tall
this is about as high as Sydney Harbour Bridge! (134m)

just gives people an idea how high it is as its growing.
Great idea.

As for the events... Tower of Babel anyone??? Middle east, tower of nearly unlimited height, many races build, ego status, races all get pissed and stop construction. I know, it's very different and all, but still eerie.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:15 AM   #119
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

I am not superstitious.

So no, no reservations at all. Build!
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:51 AM   #120
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom
Great idea.

As for the events... Tower of Babel anyone??? Middle east, tower of nearly unlimited height, many races build, ego status, races all get pissed and stop construction. I know, it's very different and all, but still eerie.
How tall was the tower of Babel? 300ft LOL.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote