daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #821
this_city

Likes (Received): 327

the roof is so low too. must've stunk of diesel exhaust
this_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #822
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 424

It seems like there is perhaps more pride in the railways now too. Look at the amount of litter on the track there- it never looks like that now.
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #823
fozzy

Likes (Received): 30

Yes it stunk!!! the intercity trains used to stop under the staff/freight bridge and it used to fill up with choking fumes. As it was enclosed too it was unbearable at times while going from platform to platform. Oh the memories!!! lol
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #824
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 38

I personaly think Leeds station is fab, plenty of space, and light and airy in most areas.....perfect example of a great station..then again im used to dingy New street lol..
PSS1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #825
Leeds No.1

Well, compared to New Street anything's an improvement!

But City station is at capacity and needs expanding. Aesthetically, it's generally fine. Wouldn't mind seeing improvements to the South Concourse though, but I expect Network Rail to drive this forward in time as they look for more commercial opportunities and thus the creation of mezzanines on the concourses.
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #826
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
Well, compared to New Street anything's an improvement!

But City station is at capacity and needs expanding. Aesthetically, it's generally fine. Wouldn't mind seeing improvements to the South Concourse though, but I expect Network Rail to drive this forward in time as they look for more commercial opportunities and thus the creation of mezzanines on the concourses.

Yes agree ...although New Street will be a different story entirley come 2015....the redevelopement is quite staggering in its scale and quality...and is much needed an very over due.

My main point was however to say that Leeds Station is by far the best staion in Northern Britian for me....
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #827
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSS1980 View Post
Yes agree ...although New Street will be a different story entirley come 2015....the redevelopement is quite staggering in its scale and quality...and is much needed an very over due.

My main point was however to say that Leeds Station is by far the best staion in Northern Britian for me....
I think Leeds station is great, but the concourse needs updating desperately. What they've done at Manchester Picadilly is fantastic - hope to see something like that in Leeds!
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #828
gottago

Likes (Received): 9

I wish the area outside of the South Concourse entrance would be improved. The pavement is too thin for the amount of people using it walking from the NCP to the entrance and those railings when you approach the bus stops get in the way. If you're in a rush for a train you're slowed right down. Not exactly a pretty area either.
gottago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #829
Leeds No.1

Despite investment in the interchange around 2004, I'd like to see New Station Street pedestrianised. There's room for bus points on surrounding streets anyway, and will be more scope for that with the Southern Entrance.

Manchester Piccadilly is a good station, although platforms 13 and 14 are horrible. The main trainshed and concourse is good though. Glasgow Central is also a great station.
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #830
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

New Station Street isn't great, but there's no room to pedestrianise it really. Those taxis and buses need to go somewhere, and they'd be awful clogging up Boar Lane!

The interchange there is good for accessibility - means people who can't walk very far don't have to hobble/wheel themselves a long way to get to a bus or cab. To have a set of different bus stops strung out around the surrounding area, as you have on parts of the Headrow and Vicar Lane, would be awful.
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #831
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
New Station Street isn't great, but there's no room to pedestrianise it really. Those taxis and buses need to go somewhere, and they'd be awful clogging up Boar Lane!

The interchange there is good for accessibility - means people who can't walk very far don't have to hobble/wheel themselves a long way to get to a bus or cab. To have a set of different bus stops strung out around the surrounding area, as you have on parts of the Headrow and Vicar Lane, would be awful.

When New Street is completed there will be 3 times more room in the internal concourse, and far more space at platform level as all passengers will wait above platform level until trains have arrived, but externally also far more open spaces with be created to all of the 3 or 4 entrances......with greater intergration with whats around the station....connecting the bull ring with the pallasades shopping centres etc....
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #832
idlemoor
Best Among Ruins

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSS1980 View Post
When New Street is completed there will be flower beds, free beer and world peace, and all cities like Leeds will be forced to rename streets like "New Station Street" to something less confusing. I am not mad.
Where do they find these geniuses from? Well, BIRMINGHAM, in big letters, obviously.

I really hope there's no anagram of "New Station Street" in Liverpool, or else it's goodbye thread for a month.
idlemoor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #833
Leeds No.1

I'm sure there's potential for an Infirmary Street-esque bus point on either Wellington Street or Boar Lane (or both), to allow for the removal of traffic from New Station Street.

Yes, it would be a bit further to walk- but for a hugely improved station area. More importantly, if New Station Street is glazed over and made part of an enlarged concourse, which yes I realise would be expensive and long term, you could install travelators to take people to an interchange on Boar Lane.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #834
Leodis Loiner

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlemoor View Post
Where do they find these geniuses from? Well, BIRMINGHAM, in big letters, obviously.

I really hope there's no anagram of "New Station Street" in Liverpool, or else it's goodbye thread for a month.
Leodis Loiner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #835
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlemoor View Post

LOL
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #836
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
I'm sure there's potential for an Infirmary Street-esque bus point on either Wellington Street or Boar Lane (or both), to allow for the removal of traffic from New Station Street.

Yes, it would be a bit further to walk- but for a hugely improved station area. More importantly, if New Station Street is glazed over and made part of an enlarged concourse, which yes I realise would be expensive and long term, you could install travelators to take people to an interchange on Boar Lane.
Does the new Southern entrance give scope for relocation of the bus/taxi stands?...
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #837
Ashmataz

Likes (Received): 42

Walked through the station this morning and saw that the KFC unit is coming along nicely. In fact, I'd say it's nearly finished looking at it! Does anyone know if there is an opening date?

And I know there are some haters out there, but it will be a good addition to the food offering in the station/bottom of town.
Ashmataz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #838
bewildereduk

Likes (Received): 75

I honestly think the KFC in the train station will do really well. I know I'll be happy with it although my waist band may think otherwise.

The only issue is that the counter will be right at the front with no seating which seems odd. Unless they extend a small seating area out into the concourse like McDonalds, Subway and Starbucks do. However I'm not sure if this will be enough
bewildereduk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #839
God's Own City

Likes (Received): 10

the obvious solution re: New station street is for a new southeastern entrance with a concourse slung between the existing foot & service bridges, opening out onto the Criterion place site. This site (currently surface carpark) then becomes your coach/express bus interchange for the city, freeing up Kirkgate.
God's Own City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #840
Suburban Knight
▀ANNED

Oh no, when I'm drunk after a few too many after work drinks, the KFC will be yet another obstacle to get past without spending money!!