daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM   #1
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

Likes (Received): 38

Tirana architecture developments

Tirana (capital of Albania) has been undergoing some developments regarding architecture. 10 buildings of 85m will be constructed, of which 3 have been already approved. A new terminal for the airport is being contructed, designed by Hin Tan (also designed Bilbao airport). I thought posting images of some projects and see what you think.

"Eyes of Tirana" (85m) / designed by Henning Larsens Tegnestue

The new tower will stand out as a beacon of the regenerated centre of the capitol. With large, lit atriums floating over the city the tower stands as a lighthouse in focus of the pulsating radial streets of the quarter. The atriums appear as large eyes seeing the surrounding city, towards other high-rise buildings and the distant mountains.

"TID Tower" (85m) / designed by 51n4e

"4ever Green" (85m) / designed by Archea Associati

New terminal at Tirana International Airport (designed by Hin Tan)

Polychrmoic Tower / ~80m facade by Bolles and Wislon:

IlliricumSacrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #2
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Really interesting to get an update on the developments in Tirana. Clearly, Albania's capital city has made remarkable progress over the past decade, with even more to come.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #3
jacek_t83
Ino Ligota!

Likes (Received): 1

Nice! I'm waiting for a last news from Tirana How's the work goin'?
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #4
carvin77

Likes (Received): 3

i like very much the firs pic...

job home
carvin77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #5
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_t83
Nice! I'm waiting for a last news from Tirana How's the work goin'?
Pretty well I have to say. There is a lot of contruction going on and construction companies because of the competition are considering nice architecture more. In Tirana there is a very low height limit inside the city yellow line. The ten 85m towers in the city center are among the only buildings going over 12 floors.

Some more things:

The renovation of Tirana International Hotel:

The new Orthodox Cathedral:

Renders from the regulatory plan for the suburbs:

Renders from the Master Plan for the City Center, designed by Architecture Studio (FR):

IlliricumSacrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #6
endri.meneri

Likes (Received): 0

odd proportions

Is it just me, but if you look carefully all the skyscrapers that are being proposed in the tirana city centre (85 m tall) have an inverted pyramid volume. That is, the floor plates are small at the bottom, and get larger at the top. This is at odds with the approved french master plan where the towers are crystal-like tapering towers, and in fact, it's at odds with the majority of the skyscraper projects worldwide. What happened to shadow studies? What about the naturally uncomfortable feeling of having large towers feel like they might topple. I noticed this first with the 5n4e TID Tower and I waved it off as an exception, but with the last three designs there is not much difference. It seems that even foreign architectural practices can not retain a certain sense of professional dignity in the face of Albanian real-estate hungering. Perhaps it is wrong to blame the employee, but someone, like the municipality, must place certain volumetric expectations. It seems like the only restriction for these projects is the height?

Just my two cents....
endri.meneri no está en línea   Reply With Quote