daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #61
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Stagecoach has just announced that they have placed an order for ten specially designed Van Hool doubledecker sleeper coaches for Megabus UK's overnight services.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #62
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus and Coach Buyer

Stagecoach Group plc announced yesterday the sale of the retail operations of its megabus Europe business to FlixMobility GmbH, the company behind long distance European coach operator FlixBus.

The retailing operations only relate to mainland Europe and includes the design of inter-city coach services; including their timetabling, co-ordination and marketing, as well as the pricing and sale of journeys on those services. The day to day operation and staffing of the coach services will remain the responsibility of megabus.

<snip>

The sale of the megabus Europe retail operations is expected to be completed by 1 July 2016. The undisclosed amount for the sale will take the form of a loan note from FlixBus to Stagecoach at completion, which is not subject to any conditions or performance criteria which need to be fulfilled. In addition, to the sale, Stagecoach has agreed to dispose of a number of vehicles to FlixBus or its nominee, at a future date.
From Here

mrsmartman liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:20 AM   #63
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18178

A train lover takes the bus: Can’t beat the price for BOS-NYC bus, but what about the user experience?
Boston Globe Excerpt
17 August 2017

At first, it was all about the money.

Planning a brief getaway to Manhattan recently, I researched round trips on Amtrak’s Northeast Regional, about a week in advance, and couldn’t find anything cheaper than $171.

Then I checked Megabus, one of several bus lines servicing the BOS-NYC route, and found I could get down and back for a $34 fare that included a booking fee of $2 (recently hiked to $2.50) and the $3 premium upgrade of a table with cup holders!

Less costly options were available by booking further in advance — as cheap as $1 each way on Megabus (plus the booking fee) and $49 on the train. But an autumn departure didn’t exactly fit our summer plans.

As much as Amtrak remains the workhorse on the BOS-NYC route, claiming more riders between the two cities than all the airlines combined, travel by bus is growing. Annual departures for New York from the South Station Bus Terminal are up 7 percent over 2016, approaching 100,000 for fiscal year 2017.

I love travel by train, especially the route that Amtrak traces along the Connecticut shoreline. But it was time for my wife, Carol, and me to forsake scenery for savings.

A few days before departure, our bet on the bus was looking even better.

It turned out that our arrival in the city would coincide with Day One of what New York Governor Andrew Cuomo was calling the city’s “summer of hell.”

The governor was referring to track repair at Penn Station, a project expected to render an already crippled transit hub even more tortuous for the two long months it would take to complete.

Suddenly, opting for the bus — with drop-offs at curbside in Manhattan rather than Penn Station — was morphing into a stress reliever as well as a money saver.

Travel choices are never just about the money, of course. The user experience — comfort, safety, on-time arrival — gets all mixed up with cost to beget a decision often driven as much by whim as evidence.

Our first round trip on the bus left me on the fence about abandoning my lifelong preference for the train. So a couple of weeks later, I spent a day evaluating the bus by riding the train as well as the bus — outbound on Amtrak’s 11:15 a.m. Northeast Regional and home on the 5:40 p.m. Megabus from 34th Street.

The conclusions I’ve drawn from these rides — three by bus, one on the train — are all subjective, reflecting my own experiences and biases.

Let’s start with comfort.

We knew, before buying our bus tickets, that the ride would be more cramped than we’ve experienced on Amtrak’s wider, softer seats. But especially on an express run with no scheduled stops and a toilet on board, we figured: How bad could it be?

Turns out there are some additional trade-offs involved in that premium bus seat. The carry-on space is tight (no room for overhead luggage on a double-decker bus) and we shared legroom with the two New Yorkers who bought the premium seats on the other side of the table.

More : https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...K7L/story.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote