daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #81
Tharpe

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
INSANE, paris cant win this
Agree completly!

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #82
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

This is hardly a neighbour for the Gherkin, lol. It's next door to Heron Tower, and looks a few hundred metres of so from the gherkin on those renders.

Surely it was this (awful) building that was intended to neighbour the gherkin?
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #83
Truepioneer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharpe View Post
Agree completly!

I said it in another thread but London looks to be the only city in the Western world that can compare with new emerging cities (Dubai, Shanghai)
in terms of innovative skyscraper architecture.

Isn't it great London waited out on building skyscrapers, for the most part, until more innovative designs were developed.

I don't see projects of this quality being proposed
in traditional skyscraper cities (Chicago and NYC)

Last edited by Truepioneer; March 13th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #84
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

That is no surprise. England has been innovative in film, fashion, music, painting and yeah, architecture. It's not unusual for other countries to contract your leading architects as a result.

*sings* "En-ga-land swings like a pendulum do"
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #85
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepioneer View Post
I said it in another thread but London looks to be the only city in the Western world that can compare with new emerging cities (Dubai, Shanghai)
in terms of innovative skyscraper architecture.

Isn't it great London waited out on building skyscrapers, for the most part, until more innovative designs were developed.

You must be kidding. NY has scores of projects in planning or US by Gehry, Piano, Foster, Rogers, Nouvel, etc.

Also, I disagree with your comment about the merit of London's waiting to build skyscrapers. NY's skyline will always be the best because these structures, all of which still stand and are a fraction of similar buildings in the city, simply can't be replicated:

Last edited by LLoydGeorge; March 15th, 2007 at 06:00 AM.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #86
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
I think the highlighted part sums it up pretty well. Those (and other) cities have had large skyscrapers for a while and have hundreds of projects to contend with, so obviously quality will be diluted. On the other hand, projects in a nontraditional highrise city like London are going to go under stricter scrutiny by the government and other agencies like UNESCO and thus they'll usually be of higher quality.

As for starchitects, I don't particularly care for most of them and think they're often overused in some cities.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #87
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 5

Posting 20 pics from NYC in a thread about a single London skyscraper is a bit silly and not very informative for the topic. We got your point and we DO actually all love NYC for its scrapers, but let's discuss what's intended now.

Also, posting "Paris can't win this" is to ASK for trouble. Good to see that the french are too proud not to be bothered this time though!
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #88
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3254

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoydGeorge View Post
You must be kidding. NY has scores of projects in planning or US by Gehry, Piano, Foster, Rogers, Nouvel, etc.

Also, I disagree with your comment about the merit of London's waiting to build skyscrapers. NY's skyline will always be the best because these structures, all of which still stand and are a fraction of similar buildings in the city, simply can't be replicated...

Blah blah blah
Can a Moderator for this section please delete this post which is tantamount to spam?

This is NOT London v New York, the next person who makes a post along these lines will be brigged for 3 days by me
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #89
Truepioneer

Quote:

Also, I disagree with your comment about the merit of London's waiting to build skyscrapers. NY's skyline will always be the best because these structures, all of which still stand and are a fraction of similar buildings in the city, simply can't be replicated:

Ummm......the comment about London waiting to build skyscrapers was more looking at some of the highrises that were going up in London in the 60s-80s and what a skyline would look like if dominated by those. Nothing to do with NYC's or Chicago's buildings. These cities def have very nice buildings.

Oh yeah, back to the topic

Last edited by Truepioneer; March 16th, 2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #90
weird
vagamundo

NY... is NY!!!!!! Not rivalry!

IMO the tower its a bit simple, but it's necessary, cuz London is getting lots of awesome and weird desinged towers, and always a bit of simplicity it's welcome!
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #91
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3254

Quote:
Ummm......the comment about London waiting to build skyscrapers was more looking at some of the highrises that were going up in London in the 60s-80s and what a skyline would look like if dominated by those. Nothing to do with NYC's or Chicago's buildings. These cities def have very nice buildings.

Oh yeah, back to the topic
Was it really necessary to quote hos entire post including photos?

NOW LET'S REMAIN ON TOPIC!!!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #92
N.I.C.E.

Likes (Received): 4

Nice building. Good proportions. Its getting a bit too dense in the centre, especially for a city with an irreguler medieval city plan. When are they going to build all those propossed buildings. Some have been in the waiting for 5-6 years. They all have really good designs.
N.I.C.E. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #93
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.I.C.E. View Post
Nice building. Good proportions. Its getting a bit too dense in the centre, especially for a city with an irreguler medieval city plan. When are they going to build all those propossed buildings. Some have been in the waiting for 5-6 years. They all have really good designs.

Heron Tower and the Shard have been talked about since the 1990s.

BUT 2008 is the big year for London skyscraper construction. The 225m leadenhall Building, 202m (242m spire) Heron Tower and 288m Pinnacle are the big 3 in the city that are due to begin official construction... and in late 2008 we will also see the 306m Shard being built the other side of the River Thames.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #94
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Evening rendering

And a model viewed from the south-east

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #95
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
Evening rendering

And a model viewed from the south-east

I don't like it or the Heron. They're boxes with a few extra angles and should be built in Canary Wharf where the box reigns supreme. Swiss Re, 122 Leadenhall, the Bishopsgate Tower and the Willis Building are very nice. Heron and this structure will detract from them.
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #96
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Well, I like Heron and 100 Bishopsgate for the precise reason you've just given - they will serve as a "balance" within the cluster. Without them, you'll have too many unique, eye-catching towers competing for attention. Some normality is needed. Heron is a sleek, elegant tower with plenty of height and a nice spire, nothing offensive about it. 100 Bishopsgate is also a nice "filler" tower, shorter than the rest, but still an acceptable design.
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #97
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

Quote:
I don't like it or the Heron. They're boxes with a few extra angles and should be built in Canary Wharf where the box reigns supreme. Swiss Re, 122 Leadenhall, the Bishopsgate Tower and the Willis Building are very nice. Heron and this structure will detract from them.
I like 100 Bish and especially Heron for being boxes. The bring the City back down to earth with their conventional floorplates, i.e. they actually look like skyscrapers. It's nice to have different-looking towers shaped like cheesegraters and helterskelters, but we don't need every single towe in the City clawing to be a "landmark" tower with a crazy design. 100 Bish looks incomplete though...
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #98
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
Well, I like Heron and 100 Bishopsgate for the precise reason you've just given - they will serve as a "balance" within the cluster. Without them, you'll have too many unique, eye-catching towers competing for attention. Some normality is needed. Heron is a sleek, elegant tower with plenty of height and a nice spire, nothing offensive about it. 100 Bishopsgate is also a nice "filler" tower, shorter than the rest, but still an acceptable design.
I don't like them, but you raise good points, nonetheless.
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #99
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 3

Think it will depend on the quality of the buildings. I have a feeling Heron will look good in the flesh.... have to see what 100 Bish looks like... cheap cladding will make it date very quickly with that design.
Lance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #100
Truepioneer

Quote:
I'll have to agree with this fellow. The world has enough boxy skylines and Canary Wharf already provides that look for London. One reason why I like the City's proposed skyline and much of London's architecture is that it breaks away from that boxy form. It makes you look at it longer cause it's not what you usually expect.

I don't like the Heron Tower much but I have a feeling it will look much better in the flesh as someone else mentioned.

But this new neighbour for Swiss Re is very bland from the looks of it.

Tags
london