daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Stadium Design

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #1
UKFA

Likes (Received): 10

Design for a UK football stadium

Hello all, new member here. I stumbled on this site google searching stadium design, I am writing an alternate history in which there is a UK national football team as opposed to the England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales teams we know and love. Of course a football team needs a stadium, and it seemed fairly lazy to make them play at Wembley or Hampden. So for the purposes of this timeline the team will have a new custom-built stadium, first built in 1949-50 and then upgraded around 2008. My first thought was to have it on the Isle of Man, as it's situated roughly in the centre of the UK. However it doesn't have the infrastructure to accommodate large groups of travelling fans, and for the same reason Berwick-Upon Tweed wouldn't be suitable. I finally settled on Liverpool, being roughly situated between Scotland and Wales, and having easy ferry access from Northern Ireland (many football fans from Northern Ireland travel to Liverpool to watch games). It also has the capacity for accommodation, policing etc. So to my first question, is Liverpool the best candidate, if not what would be? Secondly within Liverpool (or another city) what would be a good plot to build in, bearing in mind this is originally built in 1950. My thoughts for Liverpool were Otterspool parade, Stanley Park (where Liverpool FC have previously planned a new stadium) or maybe in Toxteth, but this is purely based on looking at google maps, I don't actually know the city at all.

If anyone is interested in this project please let me know, it would be amazing to see some of the incredible work I've seen for competitions here! It's completely open-ended, you can base it wherever you like, and name it as you please etc etc. Of course you will be fully credited and the work will be posted on the Wikia and AH forum, both of which are very active.

Many thanks for reading!

Christchurch liked this post
UKFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:32 AM   #2
UKFA

Okay, I've settled on the location, it will be where the Liverpool Innovation Park is presently. Easy access by road, train and short distance from the ferry terminal. Nice looking area, but also ripe for redevelopment. Since nobody is up for this I will have a go at this myself, but I have to warn you it will be **** BTW anyone know where I find the seating texture/ pattern that people use? I don't have the RAM for proper seats, not to mention I don't have the skill either.
Old April 9th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #3
Christchurch

Likes (Received): 45

could be interested what would the capacity be? 90,000 like wembley? or bigger

UKFA liked this post
Christchurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #4
UKFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christchurch View Post
could be interested what would the capacity be? 90,000 like wembley? or bigger
Awesome! I think at least 90k, maybe bigger because it's all of the UK instead of just England. But 90k is more than enough, Wembley is one of the biggest football stadiums in Europe. What do you think? However for the purpose of actually drawing it you don't need that many seats, it would be a bit of a headache to render! You can use a texture if you prefer.

Last edited by UKFA; April 9th, 2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #5
Christchurch

i might make it 90,000 that can have 10,000 seats added quickly for big matches. also in the future it could be expanded to 110,000-120,000 seats

UKFA liked this post
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #6
UKFA

Quote:
i might make it 90,000 that can have 10,000 seats added quickly for big matches. also in the future it could be expanded to 110,000-120,000 seats
That would be amazing! Btw I love your Crystal Palace Stadium in the comp, it's beautiful!

When nobody replied initially I started trying to model a stadium, but it's a bit of a nightmare. I finally finished all the seats and it's only 27k. It also doesn't follow FIFA guidelines, there are more than 14 rows in the corners.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...f-3562d34ed840

Last edited by UKFA; April 10th, 2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #7
Christchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFA View Post
That would be amazing! Btw I love your Crystal Palace Stadium in the comp, it's beautiful!

When nobody replied initially I started trying to model a stadium, but it's a bit of a nightmare. I finally finished all the seats and it's only 27k. It also doesn't follow FIFA guidelines, there are more than 14 rows in the corners.

i like the seating pattern I'm going to start it today but just before i do, would you like it to look traditional like old wembley or a modern stadium like allianz arena and new stamford bridge?

EDIT: just remembered it was built in 1949-1950s and then expanded in 2008 so abit like old trafford

Last edited by Christchurch; April 10th, 2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Christchurch

I've just looked up some 1950s stadiums and the maracana in brazil was built in 1950 and then renovated so i could do something like that
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #9
UKFA

Quote:
i like the seating pattern I'm going to start it today but just before i do, would you like it to look traditional like old wembley or a modern stadium like allianz arena and new stamford bridge?

EDIT: just remembered it was built in 1949-1950s and then expanded in 2008 so abit like old trafford
It needs to be built sometime in the early 50's, but the renovation could be anytime. It could actually be expanded for the Olympics in the UK in 2012.

Quote:
I've just looked up some 1950s stadiums and the maracana in brazil was built in 1950 and then renovated so i could do something like that
Nice! It looks pretty complicated though, I now realise how much work is involved so I don't want to make too much work for you.
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Christchurch

Quote:
It needs to be built sometime in the early 50's, but the renovation could be anytime. It could actually be expanded for the Olympics in the UK in 2012.

Nice! It looks pretty complicated though, I now realise how much work is involved so I don't want to make too much work for you.
i might go with the olympic idea since most 1950s stadiums were oval shaped. ill keep the original seating bowl and adding a roof and facade in the renovations. I'm looking forward to this and hope u r too
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #11
UKFA

Quote:
i might go with the olympic idea since most 1950s stadiums were oval shaped. ill keep the original seating bowl and adding a roof and facade in the renovations. I'm looking forward to this and hope u r too
Very much so! I've started writing up a rough draft of the page this will appear on, there will be more details like stadium measurements, capacity etc, as well as a gallery. Feel free to go in and edit the article (you'll need a wikia account though, otherwise it just writes your IP address which is annoying..) I thought it might be cool to use your name as the architect of the stadium, and you can invent your own company as the builders etc. Basically just feel free to go in and edit the article(s) as you like.

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Stanley_Park_(UKatWC)

Old April 15th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #12
Christchurch

heres an update on the stadium progress. things should start to get quicker now that i have more time. anyway the lower bowl hasn't got any entries yet but ill get there. next is the concourses, facade and roof then the seats hope you like it

UKFA liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #13
UKFA

Quote:
heres an update on the stadium progress. things should start to get quicker now that i have more time. anyway the lower bowl hasn't got any entries yet but ill get there. next is the concourses, facade and roof then the seats hope you like it
Wow, yes that looks amazing! That's a really nice feel to it, can you imagine the atmosphere sitting in there?
Old April 15th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #14
Christchurch

Quote:
Wow, yes that looks amazing! That's a really nice feel to it, can you imagine the atmosphere sitting in there?
yes it would be very good. from that angle it looks like the views wouldn't be too good but I've check the top of the expanded (120,000) mode and you still feel close to the field

UKFA liked this post
Old April 15th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #15
UKFA

It's amazing! Its got a gladiatorial feel that I love, but of course more modern looking and smart. Great work man!
Old April 15th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #16
Christchurch

The bottom and mid tiers are the old part of the stadium so on the outside they will have a brick facade and the upper tier will have a more modern facade similar to soldier field:

UKFA liked this post
Old April 16th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #17
UKFA

Sweet! Is there anything I can do? I'm really bad at modelling but if I can do anything to help let me know.
Old April 17th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #18
Christchurch

Quote:
Sweet! Is there anything I can do? I'm really bad at modelling but if I can do anything to help let me know.
you could make the landscape and surroundings if you want because i don't know stanley park that well or you could design some stadium uk football banners that goes between the tiers and stadium logo which would be very helpful.

UKFA liked this post

Last edited by Christchurch; April 17th, 2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Christchurch

quick update, the roof and bowl of the stadium is finished but i still need to complete the facade and add advertising/ logos in and on the stadium

van heckler, UKFA liked this post
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #20
UKFA

Quote:
you could make the landscape and surroundings if you want because i don't know stanley park that well or you could design some stadium uk football banners that goes between the tiers and stadium logo which would be very helpful.
Hi, sorry for the delay, my cousin needed help babysitting. I'll give it a shot, what sort of format should the banners be? Should they be 3d or just 2d images like .png?

Quote:
quick update, the roof and bowl of the stadium is finished but i still need to complete the facade and add advertising/ logos in and on the stadium
Wow, that looks absolutely beautiful! How did you do that much work so quickly?! I'm blown away that is awesome!