daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Stadium Design

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #1
JimboThunder1

Likes (Received): 6

(UPDATED: STADIUM FINISHED)Here is My Stadium Idea, Can Anyone Help Me Bring It To Life?

Hello Everyone,

I have spent a while designing a potential American football stadium of my own for my current University. It is based roughly on the Toyota Field (San Antonio Scorpions, NASL),I have drawn out all of the plans, have a picture of the location, design of the playing surface and so forth.

I have also figured out parking for the stadium in the surrounding areas and so forth. The only draw back is that I am not very proficient in Sketch Up despite some significant effort. I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me out with bringing my stadium design to life?

This is not something I normal do or am particularly proficient in. However, this past year I was rather sick with some serious ailments which resulted in me having an abundance of down time resting and recovering. This abundance of down time got me to thinking as to what ways my College could be improved.

My college is located in a very blue collar town and there is currently a significant disconnect between the college itself and the town. However, it was not always this way.

Back in the 1950's and 1960's, there was a great relationship between the city and the college and the main medium that fostered that positive relationship was the college's sports teams, american football and basketball in particular. Since then, the relationship has really gone downhill. By reinvigorating the College's athletic program, I feel that would take a huge step towards mending that relationship.

The main centerpiece of this would be the construction of a new on-campus American football stadium that in addition to hosting Beloit College's football games could also be used by the city to possibly host concerts and other events such as the Wisconsin High School Football State Championships. The closest comparable stadium/arenas are in Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago. I think there would be a significant niche here, and the stadium could be used for more than just College Football. I also think that based on surrounding demographics and through intelligent marketing, the following stadium could be filled to capacity for both College Football games and other events as well.

The inspiration for the stadium is Toyota Field, home of the San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL. The current stadium seats around 8,000 or so, but there are plans to expand it up to 18,500 if the team gets accepted into MLS, which is the clubs goal. Here are a few pictures of the current stadium and then a few of the proposed expansion.

My design is built upon these Expansion plans for Toyota Field. The first and most obvious difference is that this stadium will be built to host American Football as opposed to soccer. However, maybe there could be some removable seats so that the stadium could accommodate soccer as well. But that would be optional. The total capacity would be anywhere between 19,000 and 24,000.

I will use the following picture as a guide to explain my proposed additions/changes:

In the above renderings of the Expanded Toyota Field, you can see that there on the West side, there is a single deck of seating with a roofed structure above. This would be kept as is.

Then as you can see, there is double decker seating on the North Side that wraps around to the East Side while there is no seating whatsoever on the South Side.

With regards to the South Side where there are currently no seats. Both the Lower Level and Upper Level Seating from the West side would be wrapped around the South Side, so that the entire stadium would thus be enclosed and the North, West, and South sides would have both lower level and upper level seating.

Then Upper Deck Seating on the North Side would be removed so as only the lower level of seating remains on the North Side. The proposed location for the stadium is on a hill overlooking the Rock River (to the North, from the perspective that I currently am using for this example). By removing the Upper Deck seats on the North Side, a view of the river would then be enabled for the rest of the stadium, especially for the upper decks.

The inspiration for this aspect of the design is from Baylor University's new college football stadium, McLane Stadium which also overlooks a river.

Then, just as in McLane Stadium, the main scoreboard would be located on the North Side.

Also, as you see in the Rendering of Toyota Field I posted, there is a scorpion depicted in the seats on the East side of the stadium. Here it is again:

Its head and claws are on the lower level and its tail and stinger are on the upper level.

My College's mascot is a Buccaneer, so I thought it would be pretty cool to do a Skull and Cross Bones in place of the Scorpion. My college's colors are Gold/Yellow and Navy Blue so the Seats would be School blue and the Skull and Crossbones would be School Gold/Yellow.

Here is a picture of my sketches and of the finished stadium that I am visualizing.

Ignore the "Utah State" and "Aggies" in the end zones. Those will be changed to "Beloit" and "Buccaneers", but the mascot in the middle and the End Zone colors will remain the same. The end zone colors are the official school colors.

It is not depicted in my sketches, but there will also be a roof covering the West and South Stands. Despite having a rather small capacity, I would really like for this stadium to have a very high crowd noise so that the crowd is truly a part of the game and I think a roof would help with this significantly. I picture one similar to this one that is depicted in some of the additional renderings of the Proposed Expansion to Toyota Field.

And finally, there is the proposed location for the stadium. Through Google Earth, I measured out the footprint of many similarly sized stadiums, including Toyota Field, and the following plot seems to be sufficient.

I also found a rough design of the existing Toyota Field from 3D Warehouse (which is not mine) and placed it on the plot to see it would fit. It would be a little tight from a width perspective, especially with the additional of the Upper Decks. However, an American Football Field is significantly narrower than a Soccer Pitch, so that would give additional space to work with. And if the design needs to be adapted a bit to fit, that is fine.

This is my existing idea, but I am open to any ideas or suggestions as I know you all are much more knowledgable about this than me. If there are tweaks or even major changes to the design that you think would improve it, I completely open. As I have said, the main things I am looking for is a stadium extremely conducive for high crowd noise (roofing) so that the crowd can really get involved in the game. I want the fans and the city to feel like they are the 12th man. Need to make sure there are good viewing angle all around and again, that the fans are as close to the field as possible. And finally, to take advantage of the location overlooking the river, accomplishing all of this on a relatively small plot.

The city does have a rather rich industrial history, so elements of this history could possibly be worked into the design as well. Just a thought.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who is willing to help me bring this to life. I feel I have taken this as far as I can on my own and thus my reason to ask for help.

This would definitely be something where down the road, if I can get some funding and alumni behind it, I possibly would try to propose to my school and the city.

Last edited by JimboThunder1; July 24th, 2015 at 03:44 AM.
JimboThunder1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 16th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #2
acade88

Likes (Received): 7

looks similar to these stadium in Santa Fe, Argentina:

This is Colon`s Stadium, and whas reformed for 2011 copa america.

Nice job. Greatungs from Argentina.
acade88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #3
JimboThunder1

Likes (Received): 6

I would like to first extend deep gratitude and thanks to Marseille13 for helping me bring this design to life. When I posted this, I was highly doubtful that anyone would take the time to help me with this project, yet Marseille did. And again, for that, I am extremely thankful. Below is the finished product brought to life by Marseille. Feel free to leave feedback and comments. Enjoy.

BELOIT COLLEGE STADIUM

Capacity
21.720 regular seats
560 VIP seats in Boxes
TOTAL: 22,280

Parking (within 1500 m of Stadium)
Total Spaces: 3,341
Additional: 40 Boat Slips (for Fans Arriving Via Boat on River)

Estimated Demographics

Population

Within 1 Mile: 9,189

Within 5 Miles: 62,708

Within 10 Miles: 115,620

Avg Househould Income

Within 1 Mile: $40,201

Within 5 Miles: $52,228

Within 10 Miles: $61,164

Avg Age

Within 1 Mile: 35.26

Within 5 Miles: 37.35

Within 10 Miles: 37.59

artet, ETSman, brettstaats222, petropouli liked this post

Last edited by JimboThunder1; July 24th, 2015 at 03:54 AM.
JimboThunder1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #4
moshake

Likes (Received): 1

Hope you are fully recovered from those health issues... you know, after the design we must start thinking how to build it...
moshake no está en línea   Reply With Quote