daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Stadium Design

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:00 PM   #1
MaTTiC

Likes (Received): 187

Stadia Designers Cup ★ Crystal Palace F.C.

S T A D I A D E S I G N E R S C U P

1st EDITION: CRYSTAL PALACE F.C.

23 X 2015 - 31 I 2016

@stadiaDC
facebook & twitter

After a long time of waiting - here we are! We are happy to announce that 1st edition of our new cyclical competition - Stadia Designers Cup - finally started today!

Now you can see by yourself why works on regulations took so long. As you can see regulations have 7 paragraphs and when you click on one of them, you'll be directed to mStadia.net where you can find a full version of regulations.

Why not to put whole text in post content, you may ask? Unfortunately SkyscraperCity forum doesn`t support bbcode for "Spoiler Tag" or "Read more" button, so if we would write whole regulations here in one single post, it would be a very, very long post (even longer than it is now) which probably won't be read at all and at the end we might have unnecessary misunderstandings.

Of course we recommend to read all of the regulations, but not to have to jump from site to site, we selected the most important paragraphs and put them here in the post. So, what are we waiting for?

Let`s get some knowledge!

Quote:
1. General Provisons

The topic of the 1st edition of "Stadia Designers Cup" is to create a concept for a hypothetical stadium for Crystal Palace`s F.C. with the necessary communication infrastructure on area designated by Organizers on the land plot attached in „Attachment 1".

1st edition of "Stadia Designers Cup" is organised by SkyscraperCity.com forum users:
further called the Organizers.

Competition`s media partners: Stadiony.net , StadiumDB.com and mStadia.net.

2. Concept requirements

Stadium concept have to:
  • refers to the history and tradition of Crystal Palace F.C.;
  • fit in the area designated by Organizers on the land plot;
  • meet the UEFA 4th category conditions;
  • have capacity around 30 000 - 32 000 (all seater);
  • provide an easy possibility to increase capacity to 40 000 (all seater);
  • have at least 40 suits (recommended 5 m wide, each for min. 10 VIPs).

[...]

Read more...

3. Competition entry

Application form:
  • preferred architectural boards;
  • format A (A4 or bigger; A4 at 90 dpi = 1052x744 px);
  • max. 10 boards named: name_surname_nickname(if SSC user)_1-10;
  • preferred graphic files format: *.jpg for raster and *.pdf for vector files.

Content:

Minimal requirements:
  • one interior view;
  • one exterior view;
  • one bird-eye view;
  • masterplan (low detail plan view);
  • 2 elevation views (western or eastern, northern or southern);
  • description of the expansion method*.
* not necessary if visualization of the expanded stadium is included

Recommended requirements:
  • two or more interior views;
  • two or more exterior views
  • two or more bird-eye views;
  • masterplan (semi-detail plan view);
  • cross and/or longitudinal section;
  • 4 elevation views** (western, eastern, northern, southern).
** not necessary if object is symmetrical

Any extra elements (diagrams, descriptions, etc.) and visualization of the expanded stadium are optional.

Prior Publication:
  • projects which are taking part in the competition cannot be fully published in the internet/media before 5th March 2016;
  • projects can be shown partly in the internet/media only for consulting purposes.

Submission:
  • entry must be submitted in English;
  • each contestant is entitled to submit only one entry;
  • entry should be sent by e-mail at DesignersCup@mStadia.net until 11:59 PM (UTC) 4th March 2016;
  • message topic: Competition entry - name "@nickname"(if SSC user) surname;
  • contestants are obligated to attach a signed declaration, available in „Attachment 2” (entries without declaration will not be accepted);
  • preferred *.zip file with name same as message topic.

Copyrights and personal data processing:
  • published competition entries will be signed by contestant`s name, surname and nickname (if SSC user);
  • copyrights to submitted entry remains the property of the author;
  • signing a declaration is tantamount to the permission to publication of the entry in the internet/media by Organizers and competition`s media partners.

4. Voting process

[...]

Read more...

5. Competition schedule

[...]

• submission deadline might be moved forward only if until 4th March 2016, 11:59.59 PM (UTC) there would be submitted less than 5 entries;
  • hypothetical new deadline would be determined by contestants and approved by Organizers.

[...]

Read more...

6. Final Provisions

[...]

Read more...

7. Attachments
Annotation to paragraph 3.3
It doesn`t mean that you couldn't show anything from your works on project. We`d like to avoid situation where someone shows practically whole project before final results. It`s about building a tension so even after deadline, when it will be legal to publish the entry on your own, please wait few days when all entries will be shown at Stadiony.net/StadiumDB.com

NOTE: if you have any questions - ask here in competition thread, so everyone could see reply - this post will be our FAQ section

Good Luck!

- - -

Updates:

1) 24.10.2015
Quote:
Stadium concept have to:

[...]
  • have capacity around 30 000 - 32 000 (all seater);
  • provide an easy possibility to increase capacity to 40 000 (all seater);
[...]

Minimal requirements:

[...]
  • description of the expansion method*.

[...]

Any extra elements (diagrams, descriptions, etc.) and visualization of the expanded stadium are optional.
2) 02.12.2015

Quote:
Stadium concept have to:

[...]
  • have at least 40 suits (recommended 5 m wide, each for min. 10 VIPs).
[...]
3) 29.01.2016

Quote:
#IMPORTANT

Deadline postponed to 4th March 11:59.59 PM (UTC).
- - -

Important informations about inaccuracies related to regulations will appear in @masterpaul`s post below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

23 X 2015 - 31 I 2016

@stadiaDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Djomlasti, ETSman, Mr_Carýzo, sempe3 liked this post

Last edited by MaTTiC; January 31st, 2016 at 03:38 PM.
MaTTiC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:08 PM   #2
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 195

GENERAL REMINDERS:

1. Everyone must design a stadium 30000 - 32000 and everyone must factor in the expansion to about 40,000 in there design, preferably in a realistic and reasonable manner. Stadium should be presented without the expansion, if you'd like you may also produce one or two renders showing it expanded.

2. The park must be respected. You can modify the cement areas. The footbridge as long as the sports hall retains it access but do not remove any more of the Park. That is part of the challenge. You can add one or two small footpaths (to a building or area) if you'd like but that's it.

3. Contestants must respect the context of the park and keep the context of the stadium relatively green instead of cementing the unused plot

4. Fulfilling every single building law and requirement (aka. wheelchair access to the detail etc. every single health and safety law etc.) is not a requirement. This is a competition for the best concept and not for the most technically "correct" stadium. However if you enjoy doing this, we the organizers will gladly do our best to help you (among with other friendly forum members). In case of judging you probably will not get any extra points for it as we got to be fair to contestants who don't have much free time and we also have to fair to really young contestants.

5. Have fun

This was always in the regulations; I'm just making sure that you guys have read it and have understood it.

MaTTiC, Djomlasti, Kalokairi liked this post

Last edited by masterpaul; November 1st, 2015 at 12:46 AM.
masterpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:33 PM   #3
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 399

Wow, great work guys for organizing this. I may enter this one

One question, is it okay to have a watermark on my rendered pictures? Like in the bottom corner.

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:07 PM   #4
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSman View Post
Wow, great work guys for organizing this. I may enter this one

One question, is it okay to have a watermark on my rendered pictures? Like in the bottom corner.
I suppose so

Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:08 PM   #5
ETSman
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 399

Okey thanks

FK SARAJEVO
ETSman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Liverpudlian82

Likes (Received): 174

Great work!

I have a question though:
Quote:
provide an easy possibility to increase capacity to max. 40 000;
Who is to judge if that criterium is met? You do not require renderings showing the expansion, do you? I'd suggest to drop this requirement because suppose someone hands in a proposal that does not have an obvious option for expansion (like filling in open corners) and then that proposal would need to be excluded from the competition ...

ETSman liked this post
Liverpudlian82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:32 PM   #7
MaTTiC

For sure we won`t drop this requirement because that`s the one of main club`s wishes to have a stadium for 40 000 spectators.

Good point, we didn`t precise the issue of expanding presenatation. Back in 2011, when I took part in PPS6 there was a similar requirement - provide an easy possibility to increase capacity. It wasn`t obligatory to show bigger version on renderings. It was acceptable to only describe the way of expansion. Of course visual representation is much better but as we previously discuss it in YOSD thread, we must keep the competition level as simple as possible (but not too simple) that users with less experience in 3D modelling could join us

My proposal is to add a paragraph that we accept both ways of representing the expansion - visual and descriptive.

P.S.
Thanks for pointing this loophole of course

23 X 2015 - 31 I 2016

@stadiaDC

&

Liverpudlian82 liked this post

Last edited by MaTTiC; October 23rd, 2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #8
marseille13

Likes (Received): 246

and please specify what you mean by "an easy possibility to increase capacity". Most of us are not architects. Maybe we can easily increase the capacity in sketchup but not in real life.
maybe it's easier to do a 40k stadium from the scratch, this would meet the min. capacity requirement

marseille13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #9
Nikola10

Likes (Received): 74

Hello! i like to join but don't know about the seating. cause my computer explodes when start putting the seating.

Also another question does anyone know where the bird-eye view and all the stuff button?
Nikola10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #10
Nikola10

Likes (Received): 74

And make sure the Voting is not by render quality or else it just another corrupt bulls***. be honest! Thank you
Nikola10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #11
MaTTiC

@marseille13

It`s not forbidden to design a 40k stadium at once. Then you just skip the part about expansion. The target is to reach level of 40k, ok? Before or after expansion - that's your decision

We`re sorry we mislead all of you guys. Nobody is perfect and even after a month of works on regulations there`re loopholes but still less than in previous competitions :p Organizers will discuss this problem and try to find a compromise.

Thanks for your question

---

@Nikola10

Hi mate! I haven't seen you here for awhile

If your computer can`t handle separate models for each seat try to "cheat" a little Just paint parts of stands where seats suppoused to be. Of course you wouldn`t reach same effect as with regular seats but it`s still better than rough concrete.

There is no "the bird-eye view and all the stuff button" You`ll have to set scene by yourself. Don`t worry, it just sounds pretty complicated but I guarantee you already made most of these shots before in your projects

What will be the main criteria is a matter of each single voter. Of course we could define them in regulations but how we`ll check the voter stick to them? We have prepared our own voting platform but if it's gonna be possible we`ll ask our media partner for help in this case. Just be patient

EDIT:
By "bird-eye view" I mean aerial shot

23 X 2015 - 31 I 2016

@stadiaDC

&

Last edited by MaTTiC; October 24th, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #12
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola10 View Post
And make sure the Voting is not by render quality or else it just another corrupt bulls***. be honest! Thank you

1. In case of judges: The judges at stadiony.net where everything but corrupt. They were really fair and even an unprocessed dirty export from sketch-up could had won.

2. We can not really grantee how the general public will vote; I'm pretty sure the best render won't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola10 View Post
Hello! i like to join but don't know about the seating. cause my computer explodes when start putting the seating.

Also another question does anyone know where the bird-eye view and all the stuff button?
  1. No need for seats if your computer can't handle it. For example. I sometimes just paint the side of the step with a texture or just use a single face, textured with an alpha png for all the seats in the row). 2nd method is better as it kinda produces the same result from all angles.

2. Hmm not sure if calling it a bird I view was correct. However it means this: Example 1 Example 2

Camera > Parallel Projection > Standard Views> Top

3. Elevations mean: Example 1 Example 2

Camera > Parallel Projection > Section plane tool > Right click in order for context menu to appear > align view > right click > hide (in order to hide the greyness from the section plane)

ETSman liked this post

Last edited by masterpaul; October 24th, 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #13
marseille13

Likes (Received): 246

could you please check the geolocation information of the plot?
It seems we have a problem, this how it looks when exported to google earth:

in the plot file the original axis is far away from the model (about 900m).

marseille13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #14
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

IMPORTANT

There seems to be some confusion revolving the capacity.

30 000 is the requirement and there must be an clear and simple way to expand it by another 10 000. We can't have people just designing a 40 000 seater while others do it the way it was intended originally. Designing a larger stadium with no expansion is easier. Another reason is that this competition is rooted in reality. Hypothetically, building a 40,000 seater puts a huge strain on the club's budget and they have no guarantee they'll be able to fill these 40,000; which would make the investment a bit risky.

Like Mattic said there's no need to actually show the 40 000 mode as it would be daunting for some; and some people's computers won't be able to handle it.

We did consider allowing the 40,000 with no expansion however me, Mattic, Djomalsti and third parties who can not be named discussed it and decided against it. Mattic temporarily agreed to it as it wasn't clear in the regulations.

No one will be penalised if your off by a thousands seats or so. Meaning its ok to do 32 000 and 8000 seats expansion. This is a competition for fun. However it also has to be fair for everyone and allowing people to get away with having no expansion would be unfair for people who actually found a solution to the presented challenge.

Last edited by masterpaul; October 24th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #15
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marseille13 View Post
could you please check the geolocation information of the plot?
It seems we have a problem, this how it looks when exported to google earth:

in the plot file the original axis is far away from the model (about 900m).
Updated:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...b-7417f6a485a5

Last edited by masterpaul; October 24th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #16
MaTTiC

Regulations Update no. 1 - 24.10.2015

Quote:
Stadium concept have to:

[...]

- have capacity around 30 000 - 32 000 (all seater);
- provide an easy possibility to increase capacity to 40 000 (all seater);

[...]

Minimal requirements:

[...]

- description of the expansion method*.

[...]

23 X 2015 - 31 I 2016

@stadiaDC

&

Old October 24th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #17
Liverpudlian82

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
I noticed that a few faces have a wrong orientation ... this might cause problems in some render softwares ... I've corrected them in my version, but I also edited a lot of other stuff in it already so can't share it unfortunately ...
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #18
Liverpudlian82

Quote:
each rows must have a maximum 28 seats;
Just to clarify: I take it that it means max 28 seats if there is only one gangway and 56 if there are two?

Because in Wembley stadium I can easily show you a row that has more than 28 seats ...
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:36 PM   #19
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpudlian82 View Post
I noticed that a few faces have a wrong orientation ... this might cause problems in some render softwares ... I've corrected them in my version, but I also edited a lot of other stuff in it already so can't share it unfortunately ...
Cheers for pointing this out. Indeed some renders have problems with other faces. So I will update it for future users; some must have sneaked by (then again I don't use renders that have that issue).

About the regulations; I will check in my metric handbook and get back to you in a few minutes.

Edit:

"Maximum run of seats with a gangway at each end is 28, half that if only at one end. No seat in a stand should be further then 30m from an exit"

Last edited by masterpaul; October 24th, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #20
Djomlasti

Likes (Received): 93

@Liverpudlian82

No, there must be a maximum of 28 seats between 2 gangways. That's english law.

Even German law doesn't have 56 seats between two gangways, I don't know where did you get that from.

In corners, you might have more than 28 seats per row, like Wembley and majority of other stadium does, but I personally try to make it 28 max even in corners, if possible.

Cheers

23 X 2015 - 31 I 2016
@stadiaDC

&

Leedsrule liked this post
Djomlasti no está en línea   Reply With Quote