daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Stadium Design

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2015, 02:21 AM   #1
weava

Likes (Received): 558

Design Challenge: Design Olympic Stadium with post games conversion.

Here is my concept for a Track Stadium with a conversion to a Football stadium.
It's just a 2d drawing, in the future I'd like to turn it into a 3d concept but I don't have the free time right now.
It's kindof like Atlanta's stadium except soccer/american football instead of baseball.
The unused end of the track stadium would be converted into a amphitheater for concerts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Arrowhead Stadium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - JQH Arena

- - Busch Stadium III
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 4th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #2
The Real Gazmon

Likes (Received): 161

So, essentially like what City of Manchester Stadium did? Normally they would convert their way (moving one smaller end stand) than yours (moving a larger side stand).
The Real Gazmon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #3
Bbbut

Likes (Received): 0

To be honest, I don't like your concept. Too many compromises on both stadiums.
First, the only event I can think of, that would need a temporary track and field stadium are in fact the Olympics. But there is no way any country would have its once-in-a-life-time 'status symbol' be torn up afterwards. Also, for that kind of use, the capacity is too low. Plus, the viewing distance from the blue stand is questionable.
For the football stadium on the other hand, the VIP boxes are on the wrong end of the field!

Your solution is just a bit too heavy-handed, in my opinion. 'Modern transformation' of stadiums are about adding or removing top stands, bringing the lower levels closer in or lowering the pitch for example. Look at London's Olympic stadium renovation or the plan for Qatar

"Qatar is planned so that most of it can be disassembled afterwards and that, in the end, is of a dimension that suits the country. The upper levels are modular and can be removed to make a total of 22 smaller football stadiums, which will then be given to developing countries after the World Cup. Individual modules can also be used for track and field stadiums with room for 5,000 people."
source: Interview with the architects on "Spiegel International" on January 08, 2015 (can't post the link, stupid forum rule)
Bbbut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #4
weava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbut View Post
To be honest, I don't like your concept. Too many compromises on both stadiums.
First, the only event I can think of, that would need a temporary track and field stadium are in fact the Olympics. But there is no way any country would have its once-in-a-life-time 'status symbol' be torn up afterwards. Also, for that kind of use, the capacity is too low. Plus, the viewing distance from the blue stand is questionable.
For the football stadium on the other hand, the VIP boxes are on the wrong end of the field!
That is exactly what Atlanta and London did. In fact, it was Atlanta that inspired this stadium, except I transform my stadium into a rectangle stadium instead of a baseball stadium.

Quote:
The suites are the middle tier on both sides of the final stadium, this is a very typical NFL style stadium. The press boxes that are on the end(side of the track config) would be converted to a hotel that overlooks the stadium from the one end. The orange seats represent temporary seating (for olympics, superbowl, world cup, etc) The middle tier under the dark blue upper deck has suits/club seating underneath it(typical of most 3 tier NFL stadiums)

Quote:
Your solution is just a bit too heavy-handed, in my opinion. 'Modern transformation' of stadiums are about adding or removing top stands, bringing the lower levels closer in or lowering the pitch for example. Look at London's Olympic stadium renovation or the plan for Qatar

"Qatar is planned so that most of it can be disassembled afterwards and that, in the end, is of a dimension that suits the country. The upper levels are modular and can be removed to make a total of 22 smaller football stadiums, which will then be given to developing countries after the World Cup. Individual modules can also be used for track and field stadiums with room for 5,000 people."
source: Interview with the architects on "Spiegel International" on January 08, 2015 (can't post the link, stupid forum rule)
This is just a very rough sketch but I did a little of the math and the distance from the seats to the track is nearly identical to London and Bejing. Once I figured out the final dimensions the field could be lowered or raised a bit to make the final sight lines better and I would figure out the final seating capacity. Goal would be 80-90k track to 65k rectangle.

like I said, this is a very rough sketch, but the vision in my head looks much better. Once I have more time in the future I will try to make a 3d model of it.

- - Arrowhead Stadium

- - JQH Arena

- - Busch Stadium III

Last edited by weava; February 6th, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #5
steel100

Likes (Received): 3

nice design
steel100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM   #6
weava

OK, I've had some free time and I've started to design just the lower bowl in google sketchup. This is just a first draft which I think turned out fairly well. Some more tweeking and such of the shape, dimentions, etc will be needed but I think the sightlines and shape would actually work in the real world for turning an Olympic stadium into a soccer or american football stadium by turning the field 90 degrees.

- - Arrowhead Stadium

- - JQH Arena

- - Busch Stadium III