daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old March 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Likes (Received): 1

What are your favourite Manc sculptures/statues/efforts?

I've always liked the big oak Vimto thingy outside the old UMIST Main building - slurrrrrp!

insane love of football, of celebration and of music."
Eric Daniel Pierre Cantona
BeardedGenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #2
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 0

Me too.

In sculpture news, the 4 naked people Waterloo Massacre one has dissapeared recently.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #3
majormystery
All hail to the ale.

Although it gets lots of bad press, i've always liked the B of the Bang. Especially lit up.
majormystery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Shame they cant get rid of the fence around it, blocking off that slip road, makes it look cheap/
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #5
RanjitSingh

I am particularly fond of the waterfall/cascade in cathedral gardens. The effect with the leaves is superb (shame about the emo crew). Gotta love the prince albert memorial in albert square too. Without it the square would look a little too 'empty'. Actually come to think of it, the junk 'dragon' thing on the wall opposite Affleks is superb. Probably my personal favourite.
RanjitSingh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #6
tlhf
Student Scum

I agree majormystery, the big bang's awesome. Especially from a distance

I quite like this one too -

I don't like that pebble thing tho by the Bridgewater Hall, it's rubbish.
tlhf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #7
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanjitSingh
I am particularly fond of the waterfall/cascade in cathedral gardens. The effect with the leaves is superb (shame about the emo crew). Gotta love the prince albert memorial in albert square too. Without it the square would look a little too 'empty'. Actually come to think of it, the junk 'dragon' thing on the wall opposite Affleks is superb. Probably my personal favourite.
Good call

Old March 28th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormystery

Although it gets lots of bad press, i've always liked the B of the Bang. Especially lit up.
Have they sorted out all the problems with the BOTB yet? I've always thought it was absolutely stunning - but what's the point of a sculpture if it's not safe/stable.

It is permanent isn't it? Isn't it the largest sculpture in the UK?
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #9
macc

Likes (Received): 20

I'd like to see more fountains. I remeber visiting Vancouver, whose downtown is already full of appartments buildings or "condo's" as they called them. The buildings themselves were often similar to each other but many had fountain features at the entrances or on the grounds next to the pavement. I thought they were often good additions to the building and Manchester should make more use of them.

There were some that were raised 6-10 ft or floor, which as well as looking good it also prevents them from doubling as public toilets.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #10
majormystery
All hail to the ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedGenius
It is permanent isn't it? Isn't it the largest sculpture in the UK?
It is permanent, but still being investigated for its stability - hence why the slip road is still closed off.

It isnt just the tallest sculpture in the UK either. But the tallest in the world. Its in this years Guinness book of records.
majormystery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #11
shab shab

Hello, first of all, ive bin comin on these forums but just havnt said anything, so first of all hello!
I think there should be more public art in manchester! It seems to pride itself on being a creative city yet theres hardly any public art! The northern quarter should have stacks more, and should turn into a lanes type area like in brighton, but no one seems to want to do anything! There are thousands of arts students in the city, yet they dont seem to get a chance! More colour is needed!
shab shab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #12
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shab shab
Hello, first of all, ive bin comin on these forums but just havnt said anything, so first of all hello!
I think there should be more public art in manchester! It seems to pride itself on being a creative city yet theres hardly any public art! The northern quarter should have stacks more, and should turn into a lanes type area like in brighton, but no one seems to want to do anything! There are thousands of arts students in the city, yet they dont seem to get a chance! More colour is needed!
First of all - hello shab shab.
I'm totally with you on this but unfortunately manchester doesnt have a public art provision as policy (unlike Birmingham) hence the lack of it.
Its something i'm always banging on about (usually falls on deaf ears though!) and other cities put us to shame.
I'm reading this thread with interest because i'm thinking of drawing up a PHD proposal on post war public sculpture in Manchester so i'm interested to see how you all respond to it and what your tastes are.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #13
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 233

Easily up there with the bang, and its my fav bit of public sculpture in Manchester.....
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #14
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 22

I always liked the statue in Picc gardens that faced the Portland Hotel, where did it go when they built that piece of crap No1? To be honest I prefer a lot of the older sculptures and statues although some modern sculptures can be amazing too.

Anyone like the Pebble? outside the Bridgewater Hall, I do.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #15
shab shab

Even stoke where i hail from, has a public art provision, and thats saying something! In Pisa in Italy, theres a massive Keith Harring murial on a wall, and it looks ace! It really adds to the place, and i also beleive it adds to the people who live there! Manchester may be moving forward economically, but i see it being left behind on a cultural and artistic level!
I also beleive that the big bang should be moved into the centre of town, where more people can see it!
shab shab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #16
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy

Easily up there with the bang, and its my fav bit of public sculpture in Manchester.....
How could I forget this cracker - one of my favourites. So powerful, relevant and yet drenched in meaning of the city's past.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #17
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Even stoke where i hail from, has a public art provision, and thats saying something! In Pisa in Italy, theres a massive Keith Harring murial on a wall, and it looks ace! It really adds to the place, and i also beleive it adds to the people who live there! Manchester may be moving forward economically, but i see it being left behind on a cultural and artistic level!
I also beleive that the big bang should be moved into the centre of town, where more people can see it!
I think we should have a 'Bigger Bang' in the city centre.... Piccadilly Gardens anyone...?
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #18
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
shab- It has no relevence to the centre of town, it has to the stadium. Besides where the hell would it go in town? its huge.

There really should be more public art, NQ would be a perfect place for an arts group that actively look for ways they can enhance the city with art in one form or another.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #19
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling
I always liked the statue in Picc gardens that faced the Portland Hotel, where did it go when they built that piece of crap No1? To be honest I prefer a lot of the older sculptures and statues although some modern sculptures can be amazing too.
Adrift by John Cassidy 1908
An all to common story roly - moved during re development put in council 'storage' and never seen again.
I can think of several examples (some quite important works) just disappearing.
There are those of us who refuse to let this happen again and there are tabs on Adrift and it is promised it will be returned after restoration (where and when i dont know)

bammy - Skyhooks by Brian Fell 1995 - very good.
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #20
BeardedGenius
Clean-shaven and foolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling
shab- It has no relevence to the centre of town
Splitting of the atom perhaps?! Industrial 'big bang'?!! I think we should respect the artist's intentions for this piece and keep it where it is. The only problem is that I don't think enough visitors to Manchester know it exists!