daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #1
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Remember the Millenium Tower? (warning large pics)

I scanned these in from an old book I had:
I think you can only find small renders of this on the net so I said, why not post these

Nice pic of the base:

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Oh yeah, I love that tower. It would be cool though if they build that in Tokyo sometime in the future.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 172

I wished it had been built. So nice
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #4
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Wow, that looks great. When was that proposed?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:50 PM   #5
XCRunner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Oh yeah, I love that tower. It would be cool though if they build that in Tokyo sometime in the future.
Wasn't it originally planned for HK? I don't really know much about it other than what I saw on TV. How tall was it supposed to be?
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:48 PM   #6
DamienK

Likes (Received): 83

Ah, I remember that book. That book was about future trends. Anyway, the tower was meant to be about 840 m high, was meant to stand alone in Tokyo Bay, isolated, a city of its own (population up to 50 000) The tower was to be reached by causeway and boats. Cross section plans show that the core would have been star shaped with radiating banks of elevators. The project started in the late 80s.
DamienK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM   #7
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I wonder if Foster will someday get to build his tower. That's right, it was for Tokyo Bay
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRunner
Wasn't it originally planned for HK? I don't really know much about it other than what I saw on TV. How tall was it supposed to be?
The original plan was Tokyo. They were planning to put it in HK but was later reconsidered. Honestly, I don't like the idea. It will ruin HK's skyline

Old April 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM   #9
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17787

Tokyo had plans for the Millenium Tower, while Hong Kong had plans for the Bionic Tower. Somehow the two seem to have mixed, but neither was built.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:28 AM   #10
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

There were alot of super structures planned for Tokyo and it's not just The Millennium Tower.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The Millennium Tower is by far the most famous and the tallest. This Foster project was featured quite prominently in the international press way back in the early to mid 1990s.

What other superstructure projects were planned for Tokyo besides this one anyway?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:22 AM   #12
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The Millennium Tower is by far the most famous and the tallest. This Foster project was featured quite prominently in the international press way back in the early to mid 1990s.

What other superstructure projects were planned for Tokyo besides this one anyway?
The Millennium Tower was the most famous but not the tallest. The tallest visioned was The X-Seed 4000 which is gonna be taller than Mt. Fuji.

Other supertalls are,

Dynamic Intelligence Building

Skycity 1000 (1,000 m / 3,281 ft)

TRY-2004 (2,004 m / 6,575 ft)

Aeropolis 2001 (2,001 m / 6,565 ft)

Tokyo Ecopolis Tower

Mother Concept (1,321 m)

Last edited by Manila-X; April 3rd, 2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:28 AM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Found a X-seed news article :

31 July 1992
Agence France-Presse

But, until now, no super-skyscrapers have actually appeared in Japan.

The country's tallest building -- the Minato Mirai in Yokohama, still under construction -- will measure 296 metres (977 feet), while the tallest building in Tokyo, the new city hall, stands a mere 243 metres (802 feet) high.

"Local governments are still very cautious, mainly because of the cost and regulations limiting the height of buildings in certain areas," said Naoe, who is nonetheless confident of a giant structure going up in the future.

"In order to demonstrate how powerful they are, the need for cities that want to attract investment to have a symbolic tower will grow between now and the end of the next century," he said.

Competition to erect the first such structure is fierce, with construction firms spending an average of about 25 million dollars annually on conceiving futuristic projects.

The most ambitious project yet is Taisei's X-Seed 4000, a pyramidal building "higher than Mount Fuji" -- topping 4,000 metres (13,200 feet).

With a base stretching six kilometres (3.7 miles), the project -- conceived in 1990 -- would house between 500,000 and 700,000 people in apartments below 2,000 metres (6,600 feet). The upper levels would be reserved for various installations such as an observatory, a power station and even a ski resort.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:30 AM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Sir Norman Foster's Millennium Tower design could become great building of modern world.
By Marcus Binney
16 September 1991
The Times

If built, the Millennium Tower would be the great building of the modern world.

It would be a complete city in itself, and the more dramatic for its site off Tokyo. Designed as the slenderest and most elongated of cones, it has a silhouette of supreme elegance. Beauty comes from the fact that the building is perfectly circular from bottom to top with all the elements on a continuous curve and slope.

The system of cross braces evidently develops the constructional system of Sir Norman's Hong Kong bank, the world's most expensive building.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM   #15
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Architect shows off city of future
By Louise Hidalgo
16 September 1991

Sir Norman Foster's design of a futuristic city, housing 50,000 people and soaring 2,500ft from the sea off Japan, is one of the more visionary fantasies on show in the British pavilion at the Venice Biennale this month.

The British architect, renowned for modernist steel and concrete structures, has produced a solution of tapering beauty to Tokyo's chronic office and housing shortage.

The conical Millennium Tower would rise from Tokyo harbour to almost twice the height of the world's largest office building, the Sears Tower, in Chicago. The layered structure of hotels, shops, offices and flats would have high-powered lifts to speed cars and people up and down it, with "sky lobbies" at every thirtieth floor for access to homes and offices. A pier would link the anchored island to the mainland.

The design was commissioned by the Japanese building conglomerate, Ohbayashi, with whom Sir Norman enjoys an innovative partnership. Earlier this year, his Century Tower in central Tokyo was finished.

The Millennium Tower is so far only an "idea waiting for a plan", Ohbayashi says. Construction would cost billions of dollars, and require reclamation of large areas of the harbour. The structure is feasible, drawing on technology used in off-shore oil rigs.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:40 AM   #16
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I think Tokyo may have the best skyline if these supertalls were completed

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM   #17
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Were any of those plans even technically feasible. I seriously doubt the X-Seed could have been built. Foster's design might have been possible, but for a building of that height, wouldn't the whole surface area be elevator shafts?

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:43 AM   #18
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Supertalls makes the skyline ugly and they look out of place like Taipei 101
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM   #19
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamadoor
Supertalls makes the skyline ugly and they look out of place like Taipei 101
Probably the reason why Taipei's skyline isn't that impressive is because there are no other skyscrapers surrounding Taipei 101 and the fact that the building was built near the edge of the city. The next tallest building in Taipei is only 803 ft and the rest are very low!

Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:52 AM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Probably the reason why Taipei's skyline isn't that impressive is because there are no other skyscrapers surrounding Taipei 101 and the fact that the building was built near the edge of the city. The next tallest building in Taipei must be under 700 ft!
Taipei is in a major earthquake zone, so there aren't that many skyscrapers. The previous tallest was the Shin Kong Building, which had an observation deck but closed recently.

101 U/C

Nearby Keelung has a lone skyscraper and that's pretty much it.

Taiwan is a far more street-level intense place than a skyscraper forest.