daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM   #181
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual
so if someone finds these towers ugly, this means he hates france or paris?
Just re-read Cyril's message, his point wasn't so much to criticize the aesthetics of the Levallois towers as it was to simply denigrate ("rotten news", "ugly"). It's like me going on the London threads to write "the Shard is ugly", period, just to provoke people there. I would never do that.

You've been around this forum for some time, so you know as well as me that there are some French forumers around whose only interest is to systematically denigrate anything French or Parisian. If these people want to revel in masochism, I have nothing against it, but at least they could do that in dedicated threads and stop polluting more serious threads like this one. So far there was not a single rendering of the Levallois twin towers in this thread, so how exactly does it positively contribute to this thread by calling these renderings "old rotten news"?
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM   #182
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

"ugly"
As for those twin towers, quality is incredibly poor, this is true of most high rise built in France unfortunately. This does NOT mean I loathe France or Paris Do not push it man!

"rotten news"
Furthermore you have already mentioned those Levallois towers earlier. As no fresh news have come out about this project so far, I really do not see why you have to re-post it again.

The French do resent high rise on the whole, so I think that we cannot let poorly designed towers be built anywhere again like in the 1960's. The Levallois twins ARE ugly. It is just pure (poor) property developer architectural style. Simply tasteless.

I just wish that the developments to come would have a better quality. Maybe La Defense 2015 will make my dream come true, who knows?
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM   #183
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril
Furthermore you have already mentioned those Levallois towers earlier. As no fresh news have come out about this project so far, I really do not see why you have to re-post it again.
There wasn't any rendering of the Levallois twin towers on this thread yet. It just happened that I discovered those interesting renderings yesterday and wanted to share them with other people. I also found detailed information about the square footage and content of the towers which hadn't been detailed on this thread yet. So there is absolutely no "re-post". The likes of you are very discouraging I must say. I wish you would have the same exacting attitude on the other city threads. There they post the same renderings over and over again, but you don't seem to mind. Enough said.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:07 PM   #184
St!ckyesman
The incredible Hulk

Likes (Received): 0

Don't push it Cyril. We don't know much about the Levallois twins, and they are not worse looking than many tower built in europe, including London. About the "incredibly poor quality", what are you talking about? Do you think about anything recent? The major buildings built in La Défense since 10 years all have original designs and a good quality.
I bet you haven't seen LD in a while.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM   #185
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by St!ckyesman
Don't push it Cyril. We don't know much about the Levallois twins, and they are not worse looking than many tower built in europe, including London.
What do you mean? What's wrong with towers in London? Swiss Re, 1 canada square, even T42 are better than that.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM   #186
Phil
For great justice

Likes (Received): 0

Sure 1Cs and Swiss-re are better. but I'm sure St!ckyesman didn't talk about these. What about the bank street towers for example ? or Broadgate ? they seem to be in the same category : average boring tower. Anyway I won't judge these levallois towers till we have better renderings.
Phil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM   #187
brisavoine
BANNED

Don't reply to the juvenile English forumers please. You only help them ruin this thread. I think the best method with them is simply to ignore them when they post offensive or provoking messages.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM   #188
brisavoine
BANNED

About the Levallois twin towers, I agree with both St!ckyesman and Phil. To me they look neither good nor bad, it's hard to form a judgment with the renderings released so far, and I bet once they are built people will start to like them (it happened before). In any case, in an average place like Levallois-Perret, where no building particularly stands out, any 150m+ (500ft+) tower will be terrific, even if the design is just average.

I must give credit to Levallois local council for having broken the taboo of skyscraper building (outside of La Défense). Perhaps this is the most important thing about these towers: I don't care so much about their aesthetics, perhaps they are not great looking (perhaps), but the important thing is that they have stimulated competition among the local councils surrounding the City of Paris. Probably it is Levallois-Perret's decision to build these twin towers that triggered Issy-les-Moulineaux's sudden announcement of sckyscraper projects in Issy, and now Saint-Denis, Saint-Ouen, Neuilly-sur-Seine, and Bagnolet's announcements that they are planning skyscrapers too. The coming years are going to be quite exciting (for those interested in bold urban projects at least).
Old June 23rd, 2006, 08:59 PM   #189
brisavoine
BANNED

Here is an excellent website about the 185 m (607 ft) T1 tower currently under construction in La Défense:
http://www.t1-defense.com/

The website contains stunning renderings of the tower. There are also weekly updates with pictures showing construction progress, as well as lots of information about the tower. The tower is due to be completed in 2007 and opened in January/February 2008.

Just two renderings from the website:

This one shows Paris by night as seen from inside the T1 tower. If you pay attention, you can notice the Eiffel Tower in the distance through the window in the center of the picture.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM   #190
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 847

That first pic, really hard to believe thats Europe let alone France, looks so cool, LD got it goin on, lol...

strange thing is I've been Paris twice and never properly noticed LD!! Too entranced by everything else that only took notice of LD when at the top of tower, and even then I was more interested in the city centre, lol...
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM   #191
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

looks great are there any tall structures being built somewere else besides La Defense
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #192
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1377

Very nice stuff and looks so futuristic
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #193
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginza
looks great are there any tall structures being built somewere else besides La Defense
The skyscrapers currently under construction are all located in La Défense: 185m/607ft T1 Tower already shown, and the 183m/600ft Granite Tower, shown below. But as explained in previous messages, the 165m/541ft twin towers in Levallois-Perret should start construction this summer if everything goes according to schedule. It will be the first time skyscrapers are built outside of La Défense since the construction of the Montparnasse Tower in the early 1970s.

More should follow if Issy, Neuilly, Saint-Denis, and so forth (look at the map posted in previous messages), go on with their skyscraper projects. However, La Défense will remain the largest skyscraper cluster.

183m/600ft Granite Tower:

Old June 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #194
brisavoine
BANNED

A few bits of info from the francophone forum about the skyscraper projects in Issy-les-Moulineaux (check map in post #176).

One French forumer wrote to Issy-les-Moulineaux local council who answered that there were two 180m (591ft) skyscrapers planned. An architect contest will be launched in 2007 between Gautrand, Next, Foster, and others. Construction is due to start in 2008.

Also, by the end of this year (2006), decision will be taken whether or not to build the 246m (807ft) Hypergreen Tower (check post #124 for renderings). The local council is trying to convince France Telecom to occupy the Hypergreen Tower.

Last edited by brisavoine; June 29th, 2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:13 AM   #195
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Two rumors found on another French forum:

- The architectural contest for the 350-400m tower has been launched, ten architects are working on it, and some are already making the models. Among them, we should have Nouvel and SOM (from a forumer who has a friend working in Chicago, apparently), but I guess that Foster, Pei, KPF and Pelli will also be among them (Pei already made a tower in LD, KPF made 4 buildings and renovations, Pelli was among the contestants for Granite and SOM for CB31 and T1)... A guy on this forum is working on the models for one of the other architects, but he is not allowed to say much, except that it seems to be going on well, and we should have some great news and surely renders this fall!

- Another contest (4 architectural firms) has been launched for a 280m high tower, located behind Gan, which is just next to the New-AXA tower (the future 225m tower) in LD

Those are nothing more than rumors, but the guys who spreaded them seem to be reliable...
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM   #196
jantra

Likes (Received): 1

just add my two penneth.

paris, very cool place, but can't really compete with London on the world stage, having worked in both (and tokyo and new york) I'd say London is still the financial capital

fact is they are different cities with some absolutely awesome architecture. All this dick waving exercise is futile, whereas skylines are aesthetically pleasing each city has a lot more to offer.

the proposals for LD do look interesting, I'll give it a few years then go back there and have a good look....
jantra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM   #197
eklips

Likes (Received): 5030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jantra

fact is they are different cities with some absolutely awesome architecture. All this dick waving exercise is futile, whereas skylines are aesthetically pleasing each city has a lot more to offer.

If you consider it futile, why the hell are you bringing it back when nobody has been doing it for weeks on this thread? It seems more like an excuse to give your opinion about your opinion on financial importance to me...
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:46 AM   #198
european

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine
Here is an excellent website about the 185 m (607 ft) T1 tower currently under construction in La Défense:
http://www.t1-defense.com/

The website contains stunning renderings of the tower. There are also weekly updates with pictures showing construction progress, as well as lots of information about the tower. The tower is due to be completed in 2007 and opened in January/February 2008.

Just two renderings from the website:

This one shows Paris by night as seen from inside the T1 tower. If you pay attention, you can notice the Eiffel Tower in the distance through the window in the center of the picture.

Amazing tower
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #199
brisavoine
BANNED

A bit more has filtered through today about the supertalls planned in La Défense. French architect Manuelle Gautrand revealed on her website that she's working on a skyscraper in the 300s meters (1,000-1,300ft). The developer is Unibail. She said renderings would be made public in the end of September (little less than 3 months from now).

This is supposed to be one of several supertalls to be built in La Défense within the next 9 years, but it is not known whether the skyscraper that Gautrand is working on would be the tallest or the second-tallest. Bernard Bled, the director of La Défense Authority, has repeatedly (and again recently) said that the tallest tower would be above the 400m (1,310ft) mark.
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #200
brisavoine
BANNED

Some beautiful panoramic views of La Défense at night.
Just imagine the new supertalls standing in the middle of these pictures...

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects