daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #2201
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

We won't have taller towers before a long time. What about that:

Joëlle Ceccaldi, EPAD CEO, announced no 300m tall towers would be built in La Défense area.
> http://www.monputeaux.com/2010/03/le...u-conseil.html

Ok Regional elections are on the way...but still...Future does not look so bright for La Défense.

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #2202
qompass

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
We won't have taller towers before a long time. What about that:

Joëlle Ceccaldi, EPAD CEO, announced no 300m tall towers would be built in La Défense area.
> http://www.monputeaux.com/2010/03/le...u-conseil.html

Ok Regional elections are on the way...but still...Future does not look so bright for La Défense.

Good news for La Defense.

1) Paris doesn't need skyscrapers over 250m, the Eiffel tower should always remain the highest by far.

2) The designs suck. Tour Phare is F*cking horrible it looks like a frozen banana. Generali looks half finished.

If it was up to me I would put 250m height restriction on La Defense and Paris in general. If you want more or taller skyscrapers they should be built in other major cities like Lyons or Marseilles.
qompass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2203
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

There's no point in getting overexcited dude as this statement purely is stategic owing to the forthcoming regional elections. Besides, she had announced some pretty good news a few weeks ago. Furthermore, apart from Hermitage Plaza(which she had clearly mentionned by the way), there are no 300m towers anymore indeed as Signal (301m) has eventually been more or less cancelled (but a new contest is due to replace it), and as Generali (318m) and Phare (300m) have been scaled down to respectively 265m and 295m. In other words, she just played on words, or on figures in that case...

Some people really are naïve on here, the proof is I've checked some "old" threads earlier in the day and the people spending their time criticizing the projects and affirming that they'd never see the light, were often wrong...that's why most of the time I don't take into account what people say, they are no professionals, they just speculate. I just wanted to let foreigners know about it.To finish, I'd recommend people to wait & see before jumping to conclusions.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM   #2204
VubStudent
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The only thing they do in Paris is "blablabla".
VubStudent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #2205
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

I am waiting to see indeed... with bated breath.

If some people are naive on here, others just pretend to predict the future by the shape of passing clouds, which is to say that really, one wonders who's outdoing the false pretense.
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #2206
Bogdan BMB

Likes (Received): 163

Archdaily

Quote:
Place de la République / Mateo Arquitectura

Josep Lluis Mateo / Mateo Arquitectura shared with us their entry for the restricted competition for the Place de la République in Paris, France.
  • Place de la République as an urban space
  • Increasing pedestrian space
  • Pavements and everyday urban uses and contacts
  • Spaces of movement but also of rest
  • The great monumental plaza also has its domestic side
  • The place of representation of ritual and abstraction, but also of people
  • At once oasis and agora

Place de la République as public space

Transforming a traffic junction into an urban space means, firstly, reducing the impact of road traffic. According to studies carried out by our traffic engineers, based on available data, it is possible to reduce 7-8 lanes to 4-5. It is also possible to avoid vehicular traffic around the monument.

Having addressed the traffic, the challenge is to transform the place into an urban space.

1. Pavements and plaza

We propose a substantial increase in pavement space, concentrating all specifically urban flows (buses and taxis) around its edge. The pavement, transformed into a boulevard, would then be able to accommodate both pedestrian traffic and the kiosks and galleries that house the overflow of ground-floor businesses, as well as being a place for people to sit and rest.

The central plaza, also enlarged, would be of a different nature: a space for demonstration and representation that can coexist with the more domestic, ludic presence of nature. Monument esplanade, garden.

2. The plaza: unity and diversity

The plaza, a long space running NW-SE, takes in three different urban moments. These characteristics call for specific attention to create a figure that is designed to be unitary but also special, contextual and varied.

2A The small salon

At its north-west point (rue Boulanger, bvd St Martin, …), the plaza meets the pre-Haussmann city, with its finer grain and less geometrical monumentality. Our response is the small salon; earth makes an appearance at ground level, with emphasis on the urban continuity of bvd St Martin-rue Boulanger. The idea of the paving is to establish continuities between the city and the plaza. Traffic, though a real presence, could be studied and eliminated at certain points to ensure pedestrian continuity.

2B The centre of the monument

The centre of the place, at present a small island amid the flow of traffic, is marked by movement. We propose constructing a base for it, a podium which, with a slight slope, accentuates the volcanic composition of the object and allows people to walk around it, establish a direct relation with it and rest in its shelter.

2C The esplanade

The most abstract boundary would be on the three-pronged Haussmann layout: bvd Voltaire, République, bvd du Temple. This is the site of the big demonstrations that characterize the place. We propose the construction of a great petrous esplanade, with a 2.5% gradient, at the far edge of which people would be naturally higher (2 m) than the traffic, which would pass under foot without being seen. A break in section near the end would allow the introduction, in the English landscape tradition, of a ha-ha, an invisible railing, offering views from the esplanade of the spectacle of the vanishing points of the boulevards, with the great petrous base as the only foreground.

The great esplanade constitutes the dialectical counterpoint with the small salon, at the same time ensuring continuity with the symbolism of the monument.
Bogdan BMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #2207
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Pierre Cardin wants his tower in Boulogne Billancourt

Article initially posted by Cyril, renders by clouchicloucha.

World famous french clothing designer Pierre Cardin has recently proposed his latest project "Palais de Lumière" for the île de France area, as part of the "Grand Paris". His 280 m tower which he calls "new Eiffel Tower" consists of 3 wings connected altogether by 8 discs. It would cost 2 billion euros and would require 6 years to get built.

http://www.academie-des-beaux-arts.f.../lettre_56.pdf

Pierre Cardin

No matter what this project becomes, this tower's design is amazing...

http://www.palaislumiere.eu/index.php"Light Palace"'s official website (posted by Cyril)

Last edited by Jex7844; March 11th, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Website added
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #2208
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

"Horizons" tower is taking shape in Boulogne-Billancourt

"Tour Horizons",90 m, currently under construction:

Picture by Steph35

Picture by Alexandre Haas

Render of the 22 floors'"tower" or rather "Maison haute" (means "high house") according to its architect, Jean Nouvel.
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2209
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

FIrst, update

8 march 2010

Pictures by Spouzzi (defense-92.fr)

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2210
Xfire101
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

I'm sorry but that cladding just looks cheap and nasty....

I know its a subjective opinion at the end of the day, but why does La'defense seem to get the cladding so wrong on its towers????.
Xfire101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #2211
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

Don't be sorry..it really IS terrible. La Défense aims at being the like of The City of London ...but with low quality designed and cladded towers. ROFL. It will remain a second league office neighborhood unfortunately.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #2212
Xfire101
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
Don't be sorry..it really IS terrible. La Défense aims at being the like of The City of London ...but with low quality designed and cladded towers. ROFL. It will remain a second league office neighborhood unfortunately.
Well the city of London can and does get it badly wrong on occasion as this pile of crap proves..

But disasters like this seem to be the exception rather than rule...

Its a shame, because if La Defense put as much effort into the exterior cladding/materials and detailing, as it does the density, i wouldn't hesitate to say it was the best looking skyline in Europe, but as soon as you actually see the buildings up close, as i have done, you cant help but come away disappointed.

Anyway, like i said, its all a subjective opinion, i'm sure a lot of people think the quality of cladding and materials are just fine...
Xfire101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #2213
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

It's very subjective indeed Xfire101, I personally like FIrst very much. To be honest St Botolph's House is not an isolated case I'm afraid...one cannot frankly say than the buildings' cladding below is a success...

[IMG]http://i47.************/20haqv6.jpg[/IMG]Heron

Pan Peninsula

40 Bank Street

Canary Wharf

Fornunately Strata, Gherkin, Tower 42 all look great , and Pinnacle , Shard, Beetham or yet Riverside South appear to be really promising as well.

Last edited by Jex7844; March 11th, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2214
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Sorry, unintentional double post.

Last edited by Jex7844; March 11th, 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Please delete
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #2215
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Pierre Cardin should stick to clothes.

It looks visionary and all, but there's a reason so many futuristic ideas remain stalled on their sketching boards.
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #2216
LoveAgent.
Need new name...

Likes (Received): 259

I think, that the Pierre Cardin Tower fits more to Dubai, than to Paris.
LoveAgent. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #2217
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
There's no point in getting overexcited dude as this statement purely is stategic owing to the forthcoming regional elections. Besides, she had announced some pretty good news a few weeks ago. Furthermore, apart from Hermitage Plaza(which she had clearly mentionned by the way), there are no 300m towers anymore indeed as Signal (301m) has eventually been more or less cancelled (but a new contest is due to replace it), and as Generali (318m) and Phare (300m) have been scaled down to respectively 265m and 295m. In other words, she just played on words, or on figures in that case...

Some people really are naïve on here, the proof is I've checked some "old" threads earlier in the day and the people spending their time criticizing the projects and affirming that they'd never see the light, were often wrong...that's why most of the time I don't take into account what people say, they are no professionals, they just speculate. I just wanted to let foreigners know about it.To finish, I'd recommend people to wait & see before jumping to conclusions.
I should oppose that decision on the 300-metre height limit. What about the Hermitage Towers? They're going to be affected by the height limit, and if they don't get constructed, then that apartment complex (which shouldn't have been constructed in the first place) remains with its low-budget exterior facade. I know that supertalls will possibly take some prominency from the Eiffel Tower, but I would think about changing the Generali Tower's height to the Eiffel Tower's antenna height.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2218
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

1 Canada Square, and the Heron Tower have top quality cladding.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #2219
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex7844 View Post
It's very subjective indeed Xfire101, I personally like FIrst very much. To be honest St Botolph's House is not an isolated case I'm afraid...one cannot frankly say than the buildings' cladding below is a success...

[IMG]http://i47.************/20haqv6.jpg[/IMG]Heron
Yes, one can. It looks fantastic on three sides, and the southern face, although not as visually interesting as the northern, still appears to be very high quality and helps to power the building itself. It's basically a big solar panel.

I've seen the other three in the flesh and they all seemed to have high quality facades.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #2220
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Epad president answers some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAgent. View Post
I think, that the Pierre Cardin Tower fits more to Dubai, than to Paris.
I do agree with you, that's what I said to myself as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim8567961
I should oppose that decision on the 300-metre height limit. What about the Hermitage Towers? They're going to be affected by the height limit, and if they don't get constructed, then that apartment complex (which shouldn't have been constructed in the first place) remains with its low-budget exterior facade. I know that supertalls will possibly take some prominency from the Eiffel Tower, but I would think about changing the Generali Tower's height to the Eiffel Tower's antenna height.
This is what the new EPAD president Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud (EPAD is the organisation running the Défense district) declared today:

Quote:
La présidente de l’Epad et maire de Puteaux (Hauts-de-Seine), Joëlle Ceccaldi- Raynaud, se rendra mardi prochain à Cannes pour le Mipim, le rendezvous international de tous les acteurs de l’immobilier. Elle entend convaincre les investisseurs de l’intérêt du plan de renouveau de la Défense prévoyant à l’origine la construction de 450 000 m2 de bureaux dans le plus grand quartier d’affaires d’Europe.

Que deviennent les projets de la tour Signal et de la tour Phare ?

L’Epad a reçu une lettre des Ateliers Jean Nouvel par laquelle ils renoncent effectivement au projet de la tour Signal, faute d’investisseurs. Un nouvel appel à projets va être mis en place. Nous ne renonçons nullement à réaliser un immeuble pionnier qui fera figure d’étendard du renouveau de la Défense. Je reste disposée à entamer de nouvelles discussions avec les Ateliers Jean Nouvel pour un autre projet. Pour la tour Phare, malgré les très nombreuses contraintes techniques, elle verra le jour. Nous travaillons en toute confiance avec Unibail. Ce projet à la fois spectaculaire et innovant en matière de développement durable tiendra toutes ses promesses.

Quels autres projets allezvous présenter pour relancer l’avenir de la Défense ?
J’évoquerai deux opérations futures. D’une part, le Stade de l’Arena 92 de 30 000 places sera l’équipement multimodal le plus moderne d’Europe, juste derrière la Grande Arche. L’impact économique sera énorme, avec la création de plus de 2 500 emplois et plus de 23 millions d’euros de retombées touristiques pour la Défense. D’autre part, les deux ZAC du rond-point des Bergères avec un éco-quartier autour du rond-point des Bergères. Ces ZAC, une municipale et l’autre Epad, vont s’étendre sur 10 hectares et demi.

Les projets des tours les plus hautes sont-ils réalisables ?

Du haut de ses 231 mètres, la tour First sera la plus haute de France. Mais elle sera dépassée par la tour Phare qui atteindra les
300 mètres, puis les tours jumelles Hermitage-Plaza. Ces grandes tours se dresseront bel et bien dans le ciel de la Défense. On ne peut donc pas dire que nous renonçons à nos ambitions.

To sum up: she will be going to Cannes next tuesday on the occasion of the MIPIM (international housing show or whatever you call it in english) to try to convince some more investors about the "plan de renouveau de La Défense".

Regarding the Signal tower, she confirmed that the EPAD had received a letter on behalf of the Jean Nouvel Cabinet saying that they renounced the project owing to a lack of investors (no surprise, we all knew that.)She added that a new request for proposals will be launched to build a "pioneer building" (standard bearer) symbolizing the "renouveau de la Défense", furthermore, she's willing to carry on discussing the new project with Jean Nouvel.

As far as the tour Phare is concerned she says: "despite the very numerous technical restrictions, it will see the light. We've been working with Unibail confidently. This project both spectacular & innovative in terms of sustainable development will fulfil all its promises.

The EPAD president will also be presenting the Arena 92 project, a 30 000 seat stadium which will be the most modern multimodal facility in Europe just behind the Grande Arche.

Arena 92

Finally, regarding the tallest projects she goes: " FIrst will be the tallest building in France before being exceeded by Phare 's 300m and then Hermitage Plaza. The twin towers will well & truly be standing in the Défense'sky. So, one cannot say we're renouncing our ambitions."

Last edited by Jex7844; March 12th, 2010 at 06:34 PM.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects