daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:04 PM   #321
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
Calm down people.
I don't see anyone agitated here. So who are you asking to calm down exactly? I know threads about other cities however, some as close as 200 miles from Paris, where people are quite agitated, so perhaps your suggestions to calm down would be more appropriate in those threads.

Last edited by brisavoine; October 3rd, 2006 at 02:45 PM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM   #322
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Cyril is right to calm down things. Indeed, the 350 m project Bnmaddict talked about is only one candidate among 10 for the same contest. According to what I've understood about it, there's no specified height for that contest, as such, all 10 proposals are of different height, from a range between 300 m and 400 m.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:45 PM   #323
[email protected]
Funk Master

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmaddict View Post
A forumer on a French Skyscraper-fan forum is working on the model of one of the 10 designs of our famous "Tour signal". The drawings he has in hands indicate a total height of 350m excluding any antenna. The tower would be just next to the CNIT, surrounded by 3 existing towers of 185m+ (T1, Total and Areva) and two of 150m+ (Egee and Adria) . This is a 99% sure information!

Unfortunately, he can't say more...
You just forget Granite tower(184m) actually under construction too
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM   #324
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
Cyril is right to calm down things.
No, he's not right, because there was nothing to be calmed down in the first place. Metropolitan, would you care to read the messages before making abrupt interventions? Bnmaddict said there was one guy on the French forum who reported he's working on a 350 m. (1,150 ft) tower for the architect contest that is taking place for the "tour signal" in La Défense, which is correct information (I double checked). He didn't say that a 350 m. tower had been approved, or that it was officially announced as the height of the "tour signal". So I don't see what needs to be calmed down. Moreover, this 350 m. height matches with what was announced by France2 last week, so it is my understanding that all architect firms taking part in the contest are working on towers approximately around 350 m.

There's been a long tendency in this thread, whenever there is positive news, to deride, scorn, and belittle. Like I already said before, those who don't like Paris or are jealous of Paris can create an anti-Paris thread and leave this thread alone. This thread is for information about skyscraper projects in Greater Paris. This is not a thread to bash Paris or tell genuine contributors to "calm down".
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM   #325
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

I'm not sure that saying that the 350 meter-tall tower mentionned is only one candidate among 10 for the same contest, with other competitors being about projects between 300 meters and 400 meters, is that much about belittling the information.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #326
brisavoine
BANNED

I'm sorry, but telling genuine contributors like Bnmaddict to "calm down" is scornful, period.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM   #327
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5432

I think you missunderstood the meaning of calm down in this case. Now back on topic please and in the end, calm down.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM   #328
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was talking about the towers which will be clustered around the "Tour Signal".
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM   #329
brisavoine
BANNED

What's almost certain now from the guy who works in the architect firm is that the so-called "tour signal" ("iconic tower"), if built, will stand next to the CNIT. For those not familiar with La Défense, that means the "tour signal" will stand immediately to the right of the Grande Arche when you look at it from the Champs-Élysées.

I also think we can expect a height approximately around 350 m. (1,150 ft), give or take 20 meters. I would imagine they've asked all architect firms to work approximately on the same height, plus it would match what Bled said on France2 last week when he pointed out that the "tour signal" should be visible from any point within Greater Paris. At 350 m., the "tour signal" would be 50 meters (165 ft) taller than the Eiffel Tower without its antenna. It wouldn't be exactly visible from all points within Greater Paris, but it would be visible from an awful lot of places, especially considering that La Défense is built on a hill whereas the Eiffel Tower is built along the Seine, several meters below the hill of La Défense (I don't have the exact sea-level difference, but I think some people like Phil could tell us exactly). So all in all, at 350 m. above its hill the "tour signal" would be much more visible than the Eiffel Tower.

I placed a 350 m. (1,150 ft) tower on the following pictures, exactly next to the CNIT where it should stand, so you can have a better idea where it will be located, and how it will stand compared to the current skyscrapers in La Défense. Note that I chose a boring boxy shape, but the "tour signal" will most likely be curvier, in line with the recent trends at La Défense. Also note that there should be several skyscrapers bridging the height gap between the current skyscrapers and the "tour signal", so it shouldn't stand so ominously above La Défense, but since we have no clue yet where and how tall these skyscrapers will be (Hypergreen Tower?, Ministry of Transportation and Public Works office tower?), I didn't place them on the pictures.

Seen from Notre Dame:

Seen from the 13th arrondissement:

Seen from the Eiffel Tower at sunset:

Seen from the Meudon viaduct. The 300 m. (985 ft) Eiffel Tower is on the right, La Défense and the 350 m. (1,150 ft) "tour signal" is on the left. Note that the Eiffel Tower looks taller than the "tour signal" only because it stands closer to the camera.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM   #330
bnmaddict

Thanks for those pics.

Wow! I realized more than half of the "Tour Signal" would be behind new-AXA as seen from the Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Elysees, but didn't imagine that it would be entirely visible from the Eiffel tower! That's great!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #331
Phil
For great justice

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
He didn't forget anything, Granite is not next to the CNIT.
Phil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM   #332
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

I think a tower that tall will make LD look like a bunch of mid-rises.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM   #333
jef

Likes (Received): 5

That's indeed because LD essentially consists of mid-rises.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM   #334
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
But you got to remember there will also be a handfull of 200m+ towers to fill the gap between the current smaller towers and the new big one
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM   #335
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Do we know who the 10 participants are?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM   #336
bnmaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
Not really!

With CB31 (New-AXA) reaching 225 meters by 2009, and other projects we heard about reaching 240 or 280 meters, a tower of 350 meters will be perfect. This "Tour Signal" will certainly not be the only high tower built in LD by 2013!

To have a good idea of what LD should look like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
That's indeed because LD essentially consists of mid-rises.
That's an idiotic comment, Jef... with 13 150m+ towers, and 30 100m+ buildings, LD has no equivalent in Europe... Do you consider CW a bunch of midrises?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #337
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM   #338
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
But you got to remember there will also be a handfull of 200m+ towers to fill the gap between the current smaller towers and the new big one
Talking of towers filling the height gap, new information has just arrived on the French forum (I can't keep up anymore! lol) from an insider working at La Défense. He knows from apparently good sources that the 8-floor Iris building will be destroyed by the end of 2007 and replaced by a 240 m. (787 ft) skyscraper containing 80.000 m² (860,000 sq. ft) of office space. The developper is the Italian insurance company Generali, who will own the skyscraper and rent it out.

Apparenlty the project is already well advanced, part of the underground parking facilities will be preserved, but part of it will be rebuilt because the 240 m. tower will abut the circular boulevard, contrary to the current Iris building which is set back a bit from the boulevard. Generali is also apparently already looking for tenants, but you'd know that only if you read the specialized press, which our informant does.

I must say, one has unfortunately to "admire" the level of secrecy at La Défense. No rendering, no anouncement for such an advanced project, and it's only because of a kind insider that we hear about this. I know other cities where there would already be a lot of renderings and publicity about this skyscraper. Sigh...

Anyway, here's a picture of the Iris building which will be demolished. It stands right behind the GAN Tower, the tower most visible when you look at La Défense from the Champs-Élysées. The new 240 m. tower should thus become one of the most visible skyscrapers of La Défense from the Champs-Élysées. I'll add this tower to the pictures I posted above so people get a sense of proportion and location. Hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited by brisavoine; October 4th, 2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #339
brisavoine
BANNED

As promised yesterday, here are pictures showing both the 350 m. (1,150 ft) "tour signal" and the 240 m. (787 ft) tower which is due to replace the Iris building. Both are shown at their exact height (I tried my best) and exact location. I used nondescript boxy shapes since we don't know the shape of these towers yet (according to another informant, the 240 m. tower would be "a cone with spires/needles on the sides"... I find it hard to picture). I put red markings to help you identify the 240 m. tower. There are no markings for the 350 m. "tour signal", but it's the tallest, so you can't miss it.

Seen from Notre Dame, with the renovated AXA Tower:

Seen from the 13th arrondissement. The AXA Tower is shown unrenovated, at its current 159 m. (522 ft).

Seen from the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Again, the AXA Tower is shown unrenovated, at its current 159 m. (522 ft).

Last edited by brisavoine; October 4th, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #340
brisavoine
BANNED

The same without markings.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects