daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #3461
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroutage View Post
London is a post industrial city, sporadic, unplanned, sprawling, chaotic. There are areas allover the city in a constant state of development and redevelopment.

Paris on the other hand is in many ways the opposite. Planned, ordered, serine. Developments are often frowned upon, debated and many get cancelled before they really get off the architects table.

London and Paris are kind of asymmetric opposites, similar in size, population, importance, but completely different in approach.
I totally agree with you on this.

That's why IMHO it's quite silly to say that one city is "better" or whatever than the other and vice versa, since they both are simply different. So, all in all it's a matter of personal taste (which is subjective), nothing more.
For example I enjoy both cities for what they are, as well as numerous other places around the world, so, I personally find idiotic and pointless all this comparisons, rankings etc, since every place has its own "soul/atmosphere" and to me this diversity must be preserved.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #3462
Clery

Likes (Received): 3592

Some recent pictures of Paris Philarmonie

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

For those who don't remember here are some renderings:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Clery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #3463
Clery

Works for the new Defence HQ in Balard have already started!
A crane is already on site.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #3464
Clery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroutage View Post
That is exactly what i was eluding to. Despite what some think it wasnt 'trolling' or whatever. London is a post industrial city, sporadic, unplanned, sprawling, chaotic. There are areas allover the city in a constant state of development and redevelopment.

Paris on the other hand is in many ways the opposite. Planned, ordered, serine. Developments are often frowned upon, debated and many get cancelled before they really get off the architects table.
I don't want to sound rude but that's a very shallow description of Paris which proves you don't know much about the city.

Yes, Central Paris benefitted of a tight urban planning by the end of the 19th century, but that was at a time when the metro area counted only 2 million people. And that's about the last time it happened.

Since then, Paris has grown 6 times that size in population, the metro area hosts over 12 million people at last census. And that development has been excessively chaotic. Too chaotic if you would ask me.

So what happened in Paris and London in the last 10 years? Exactly the same dude... former industrial areas have been converted into business parks. For one East London development, there's a Plaine Saint-Denis development. The main difference isn't there, it's only a matter of perception.
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3465
Kriativus

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
Some recent pictures of Paris Philarmonie

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

For those who don't remember here are some renderings:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Love the exterior. It seems quite dynamic. What's going to happen with Opera de Bastille? Doesn't both work in the same way?
Kriativus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #3466
Clery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriativus View Post
Love the exterior. It seems quite dynamic. What's going to happen with Opera de Bastille? Doesn't both work in the same way?
The philarmonie is only for concerts, up to a symphony orchestra (with about 100 musicians on stage). It won't have the facilities to host a full opera with all the stage set, actors and so on.

There's a strong demand anyway for classic music shows in Paris. If you mention operas, they aren't only performed in Bastille, they are also performed in Garnier, the Opéra Comique, the Châtelet, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, the Opéra de Massy...

On the other side, Paris didn't have a really big philharmonic concert hall like the one currently built. We had salle Pleyel, salle Gaveau or cité de la Musique, but none are of the same size.
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #3467
KiffKiff

Likes (Received): 8415

I like this rendering "night & day" of Philharmonie de Paris :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And the Louis Vuitton Museum in progress too :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(Photos Milo92)

Render:

KiffKiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:43 AM   #3468
Clery

Quote:
On the other side, Paris didn't have a really big philharmonic concert hall like the one currently built. We had salle Pleyel, salle Gaveau or cité de la Musique, but none are of the same size.
Obviously I was wrong on this point. Salle Pleyel is a 3,000 seater, whereas the new Philharmonie currently under construction will only be a 2,400 seater (which is already rather big for a classic concert hall).
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:51 AM   #3469
Clery

The lower level of the new Saint-Lazare mall (still under construction) is now open. We can now directly reach the metro hub from the train station mall.

Old April 1st, 2012, 12:43 AM   #3470
Minato ku

Quote:
SNCF inaugurates rebuilt Paris St Lazare station
21 March 2012

GUILLAUME Pepy, president of French National Railways (SNCF), today marked the completion of 10 years of work when he inaugurated the rebuilt St Lazare station in Paris. With 1600 trains and 450,000 passengers a day, St Lazare is the second busiest station in France.
The Euros 250m scheme was a public-private partnership between SNCF, which invested Euros 90m, and Klépierre which provided the remaining Euros 160m. Spie Batignolles was the main contractor for the work.

The project involved excavating 20m below the station, which continued to function throughout the work, to create three new levels beneath the existing two subterranean levels. One of the new levels provides a new interchange with the five metro lines and RER Line E which serve St Lazare. The other two are for car parking. The station also features a 200m-long glass-covered passenger circulation area. Below this there are two levels with 80 shops and restaurants.

St Lazare has been equipped with 300 passenger-information screens, and 21 escalators and lifts.
http://www.railjournal.com/newsflash...tion-1551.html

Quote:
The lower level of the new Saint-Lazare mall (still under construction) is now open. We can now directly reach the metro hub from the train station mall.
In your post, it sound that the metro was not directly accessible from the train station before the work, in fact it was but in a very different way.
The station was more like a maze of dark corridors instead of a big and bright station passenger hall.

In 2008

Old April 1st, 2012, 03:22 AM   #3471
Clery

It looks very nice!

Is it fully refurbished yet or is it still at work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
In your post, it sound that the metro was not directly accessible from the train station before the work, in fact it was but in a very different way.
The station was more like a maze of dark corridors instead of a big and bright station passenger hall.
Yes, but the direct access was closed during construction works.

Last edited by Clery; April 1st, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:09 AM   #3472
richifrance

Likes (Received): 18

Wouah Paris finally got itself a ''up to international standard" railway station! Finally, congrat Paris! Just a question, but I know this point is usually a crucial point in any public renewal in France, is there any toilets in the station? Are they modern free and clean? If someone often pass by there i would be interested to have the feedbacks! Indeed confort starts by such a basic thing. (that usually give out in any france's public places...)
richifrance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3473
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by richifrance View Post
Wouah Paris finally got itself a ''up to international standard" railway station!
Gare de l'Est has gone through a similar renovation 5 years ago.

Last edited by Alvar Lavague; April 1st, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Alvar Lavague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3474
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9701

Quote:
Originally Posted by richifrance View Post
Wouah Paris finally got itself a ''up to international standard" railway station! Finally, congrat Paris!
I don't know what "international standard" means in terms of railway stations... But what I see, is the "unintentional" (?) irony in your post.. Because, you know, Paris is one the best connected cities by train, not to mention HSR, in terms of international services‎ ...

Paris <--> Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Russia, Italy, Monaco, Britain, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Romania, Turkey, Czech Rep.... etc etc
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3475
Minato ku

Gare de Lyon is currently under in renovation. (see post 3265)
Gare Austerlitz big renewal work began few month ago, a project even more impressive than St Lazare. (see post 3293 or 2686)
Gare Montparnasse renovation work is planned.
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3476
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

I think gare du nord makes the bad reputation of Paris since St pancras is opened
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3477
aclifford

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post

That's why IMHO it's quite silly to say that one city is "better" or whatever than the other and vice versa, since they both are simply different. So, all in all it's a matter of personal taste (which is subjective), nothing more.
For example I enjoy both cities for what they are, as well as numerous other places around the world, so, I personally find idiotic and pointless all this comparisons, rankings etc, since every place has its own "soul/atmosphere" and to me this diversity must be preserved.
It's so refreshing to read an intelligent and reasonable comment on this forum. There's so much needless city bashing, which is mostly nationalism, statements and opinions that aren't really thought out. I wish everyone would take a similar view to you.
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:23 PM   #3478
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

It comes from londoners bashers you know...
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3479
Clery

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
I don't know what "international standard" means in terms of railway stations... But what I see, is the "unintentional" (?) irony in your post.. Because, you know, Paris is one the best connected cities by train, not to mention HSR, in terms of international services‎ ...

Paris <--> Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Russia, Italy, Monaco, Britain, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Romania, Turkey, Czech Rep.... etc etc
I don't believe richifrance really thought about the quality of the connections as there's no doubt Paris is really well-servciced. I think he was talking about quality of the station facilities and equipments.
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3480
aclifford

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
It comes from londoners bashers you know...
It comes from everyone actually
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects