daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM   #501
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
I would just like to clear the fact that the rendering I've made is imaginative. No design for the towers in Neuilly or for the bridge have been determined yet. It's more my vision of how it could look like than anything else.
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2006, 05:54 PM   #502
thoju75
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 3

Nice render JR, I just hope that T will be in the right way
thoju75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM   #503
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
I just peeped at the first montage in post 496, is this really the design that is going to be chosen? sorry i've not had the time to sift thru all the threads in the french forum, but i have a hard time with the connecting bridge design.As much as i love the idea of it all, if that is The bridge design they're going with, then i'm sorely disappointed: it just doesn't sits well with the surroundings it's supposed to blend with.
I for once would totally ditch the cables and funky curvy masts to go with something a lot more conservative.
Just read the post above yours (i.e #498). Lol. The bridge design chosen by Metropolitan on his rendering looks pretty close to the Vasconi rendering which you can see in post 496. Only the towers design is Metropolitan's. See in post 496 for Vasconi's rendering showing both the towers and the bridge. Personally I kind of like this bridge. What do you not like about this bridge?
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM   #504
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmaddict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan
I would just like to clear the fact that the rendering I've made is imaginative. No design for the towers in Neuilly or for the bridge have been determined yet. It's more my vision of how it could look like than anything else.
Thanks bnmaddict. Actually, I've just noticed how badly written my sentence was. I'll edit my post to make it more English.

The towers which are pictured are actually two proposals for Singapore and a smaller city in the UK. As for the bridge, I totally invented it. Sorry if it's not very beautiful, but I've never pretended to be an architect !
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:06 PM   #505
brisavoine
BANNED

Perhaps Metropolitan you could try to update your rendering using Vasconi's exact design for the towers and the bridge (as appears on the rendering below). I know it's hard, but try and do your best.

Old December 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #506
brisavoine
BANNED

Meanwhile.... the 180 m (590 ft) T1 Tower is rising.

Pictures taken by P2r92:
http://perso.orange.fr/p2r92/index.html
and by thoju75.

October 3

November 3

December 1

Old December 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM   #507
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
. What do you not like about this bridge?
It's not that i don't like the bridge per se, but it feel it detracts too much from the skyline, so does its color scheme.
brunob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM   #508
brisavoine
BANNED

Did you check the bridge on Vasconi's rendering? Do you like it better? It's not as curvy as on Metropolitan's rendering. Personally I like it, but then, I've always loved cable-stayed bridges (Millau Viaduct, Pont de Normandie, etc.), so I'm biased. Lol.

I can't resist putting a picture of this beauty. Millau Viaduct:

Old December 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM   #509
kony

Likes (Received): 1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
I for once would totally ditch the cables and funky curvy masts to go with something a lot more conservative.

well, for one , i think a lot of people who like modern architecture are fed up with "conservative ideas"...

la defense is not a conservative place, so why should we care about building a conservative bridge here...and i would not say the modern buildings which sit on the Neuily side of the Bridge are "conservative" either.

I think Metropolitan's plan is exactly what this part of La Defense needs. The seine river passes by and no one really cares or understands that under that bridge it's one of the greatest urban river in the world that flows.

the metro and cars just rush through the road...the pedestrians are rare...so an excentric bridge is exactly what this part needs in order to compliment the Seine river and to focus attention on that specific area...

we don't need a "so so" bridge which everybody passes by without even paying attention...this is exactly the function the current bridge plays.
kony está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 08:21 PM   #510
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

edit: actually, how could i even rise to the bait!?

I of course stand by what i said, and don't feel the need to explain it when your wording is intimidating.

Last edited by brunob; December 1st, 2006 at 08:34 PM.
brunob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM   #511
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4217

A forumer who attended the SIMI summit yesterday reported that some mixed-use towers are bound to be built in La Défense neighborhood (by the Bergères roundabout in Puteaux). Those will be the first in France.

Last edited by Cyril; December 2nd, 2006 at 11:47 AM.
Cyril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM   #512
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
A forumer who attended to the SIMI summit yesterday reported that some mixed-use towers are bound to be built in La Défense neighborhood (in Puteaux). Those will be the first in France.
What do you mean by mixed-use tower ? Hosting both office and residential appartments ? Then there are already several of them, the tallest being probably the Tour Les Poissons built in 1970.
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM   #513
Manuel

Likes (Received): 32

The cladding of T1 Tower is hopelessly poor.

I quite like the idea of a calatravesque bridge linking LD to Neuilly, it ads drama on Brisavoine rendering!

Last edited by Manuel; December 2nd, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:18 PM   #514
Metropolitan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
The cladding of T1 Tower is hopelessly poor.

I quite the idea of calatravesque bridge linking LD to Neuilly, it ads drama on Brisavoine rendering!
It's not Brisavoine's rendering, it has always been mine.

Thanks for the compliment Manuel.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:27 AM   #515
Manuel

Likes (Received): 32

My mistake!

Have you tasted different types of bridges?
Spikey, curvy ones ? or even a tube ?
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #516
Phobos

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post

Are they planning to replace some mansard-roof buildings with these new towers or am I mistaken?It seems so looking at the before and after diagram.I hope I'm wrong...
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM   #517
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
A forumer who attended the SIMI summit yesterday reported that some mixed-use towers are bound to be built in La Défense neighborhood (by the Bergères roundabout in Puteaux). Those will be the first in France.
So Puteaux finally wants to build bigger towers?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM   #518
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Are they planning to replace some mansard-roof buildings with these new towers or am I mistaken?It seems so looking at the before and after diagram.I hope I'm wrong...
No, they are not planning to replace some Haussmannian buildings (or mansard-roof buildings as you put it), not that I know of. The buildings that would be destroyed are 1970s and 1980s buildings.

That being said, even if they planned to destroy some Haussmannian buildings, that wouldn't be the end of the world you know. Paris has like thousands of Haussmannian buildings. IMHO, it's ok to destroy a few of them here and there to make room for new buildings, as long as the new buildings are high quality. Otherwise, if we consider that each and every Haussmannian building is sacred and must remain till the end of times, then Paris becomes a museum, and Parisians become museum keepers. No, thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 01:27 AM   #519
3tmk
Rusty Robot

What Paris needs to do is destroy every fourth haussmanian building, and built instead a chicago minimalist steel tower, or a NYC art deco building, or a modern Houston glassy tower.
Then Paris would have caught up on almost a whole century of architecture it's been missing
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:17 AM   #520
brisavoine
BANNED

Refurbished AXA Tower

Meanwhile.... while forumers from Australia to America via London and Paris were busy going at each other's throats over the "horrendous", sorry "spectacular", sorry "awful", sorry "brilliant" so-called "tour signal" (aka "tour phare"), AXA Insurance quietly vacated their namesake tower in La Défense, in one of the largest and swiftest company headquarters move ever (for France at least).

The move lasted from Thursday November 23 until Tuesday November 28 and saw the relocation of 3,200 AXA headquarter employees from the 159 m (522 ft) AXA Tower to AXA's new mid-rise headquarters located behind the Grand Arche. The 5-day headquarters relocation required the help of 300 movers and a total of 650 trips in moving vans.

The AXA Tower is now empty and ready for its refurbishment which should start soon (the building permit has already been issued). All the asbestos contained in the tower will be removed, and, more interesting for skyscraper enthusiasts, its design will be changed, its height increased to 225 m/738 ft at roof height (245 m/804 ft including the spire), and its cladding will be replaced by a new one. The new AXA Tower should open in 2009. It will be France's tallest skyscraper, taller than the 209 m tour Montparnasse. It won't hold the title long though.

This is the old AXA Tower vacated by the company headquarters last week and due to start refurbishment anytime now.

The new mid-rise headquarters of AXA behind the Grand Arche.

The AXA Tower after its refurbishment and height increase.

Building permit.

Technical graphs.

Last edited by brisavoine; December 4th, 2006 at 05:59 PM.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects