daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5881
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I think Paris should be more like Berlin, architecturally. It should build more Neotraditional architecture, less of this weird hypermodern Lady Gaga-style architecture.
Couldn't agree more. While Paris certainly gets its fair share of interesting modern architecture, there's way too much blobitecture and crapitecture desperately screaming for attention. Poor, beautiful and once harmonious Paris...

Who needs this fooking cheesy LasVegas-style Pyramid at the exhibition area competing with the grand Eiffel Tower, for instance? Didn't you learn a lesson or two from the Montparnasse desaster, Paris? WTF?

Why not build something that complements the flair and unique character of the European city? Berlin knows how to.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Loathing liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:22 AM   #5882
Belgrader

Likes (Received): 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Couldn't agree more. While Paris certainly gets its fair share of interesting modern architecture, there's way too much blobitecture and crapitecture desperately screaming for attention. Poor, beautiful and once harmonious Paris...

Who needs this fooking cheesy LasVegas-style Pyramid at the exhibition area competing with the grand Eiffel Tower, for instance? Didn't you learn a lesson or two from the Montparnasse desaster, Paris? WTF?

Why not build something that complements the flair and unique character of the European city? Berlin knows how to.
I disagree. At the first place, we wouldn't have Eiffel Tower today, if they had that conservative opinion, or Louvre pyramid, or Grand Boulevards. Modern cities should always try to reinvent themselves and not just live on the old glory, city like Paris must be at the forefront of new and bold ideas. It is true that some of the ideas are very controversial, but time will show. Better a wrong decision than no decision, if they try it's more likely that they'll succeded sometimes.

streetscapeer, bozenBDJ, Avemano liked this post
Belgrader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM   #5883
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8169

^ I agree.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:35 AM   #5884
Syndic

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgrader View Post
I disagree. At the first place, we wouldn't have Eiffel Tower today, if they had that conservative opinion, or Louvre pyramid, or Grand Boulevards. Modern cities should always try to reinvent themselves and not just live on the old glory, city like Paris must be at the forefront of new and bold ideas. It is true that some of the ideas are very controversial, but time will show. Better a wrong decision than no decision, if they try it's more likely that they'll succeded sometimes.
You call it "reinvention", I call it "not having an identity". When all your buildings look completely different, you have anomie, which is not a healthy state of being for any group of people. I get that neoliberals believe that, with postmodernism, the metanarrative is dead, but neoliberalism and postmodernism are so last century, IMO.

Paris is showing a real lack of awareness lately. I don't mind innovation, but please develop a style (like Scandinavia has) and stick with it. Don't just endlessly experiment. That just makes you look lost and directionless.

Say what you will about Berlin, but they are at the forefront of what's real and true right now. They know who they are. They're not endlessly grasping at straws. /rant

erbse, Loathing liked this post

Last edited by Syndic; November 21st, 2013 at 05:43 AM.
Syndic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5885
Pew
No, no and no

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
You call it "reinvention", I call it "not having an identity". When all your buildings look completely different, you have anomie, which is not a healthy state of being for any group of people. I get that neoliberals believe that, with postmodernism, the metanarrative is dead, but neoliberalism and postmodernism are so last century, IMO.

Paris is showing a real lack of awareness lately. I don't mind innovation, but please develop a style (like Scandinavia has) and stick with it. Don't just endlessly experiment. That just makes you look lost and directionless.

Say what you will about Berlin, but they are at the forefront of what's real and true right now. They know who they are. They're not endlessly grasping at straws. /rant
But what for ? In order not to trouble tourists expectations ? There are people living here, diversity and dynanism. I think if 70% of the inner city are hausmanian buildings, it's way enough to satisfy tourists expectations. You maybe wish Paris stays a museum city, or stick to the style, ok, but it does not keep to try something else in addition. Leave the rest a bit of freedom when it concerns architecture initiative. It's all about taste. Like for art. They may change.

Last edited by Pew; November 21st, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Pew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5886
vonbingen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew View Post
But what for ? In order not to trouble tourists expectations ? There are people living here, diversity and dynanism. I think if 70% of the inner city are hausmanian buildings, it's way enough to satisfy tourists expectations. You maybe wish Paris stays a museum city, or stick to the style, ok, but it does not keep to try something else in addition. Leave the rest a bit of freedom when it concerns architecture initiative. It's all about taste. Like for art. They may change.
PARIS was never a museum city,
who is the ******* who invented this idiotic expression ?

In inner Paris you have the tertiary sector, all the offices buildings,
and the factories are in the suburbs.

samely as in every other big city.

paris museum city is an idiotic expression, a shame ! Doubtless invented by an English citizen.

Avemano liked this post
vonbingen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5887
vonbingen
BANNED

opening of a DS WORLD store à Paris. citroen car makers

DISNEYLAND.ratatouille

MOLITOR swimming hotel complex
pictures moniteur
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5888
arno-13

Likes (Received): 1192

Quote:

I think you miss all the point. Paris IS the city of visual unity. While hosting numerous architectural style , she is probably the most harmonious city on earth (at least for its size and for it's alpha rank). Most of it's city center (Paris administrative borders) and a large amount of its close suburbs (1st circle which is more or less as dense) is made of architecture from middle ages , renaissance and post modern times. But walking in the street all what you feel is harmony on the colours , on the size of the buildings, on the way streets and perpectives are made.

On the other hand, Berlin never had that uniformity feel as much as Paris. Moreover, the city way deeply destroyed, so she had to reconstruct its identity from A to Z. And that way of thinking is still in your mind, which is quite normal.

I like very much the buildings you showed, as they are very integrated.
I'm not against that kind of architecture, but if you build this , you have to make some modern buildings too, in order not to feel like in Disneyland, but in a city which lives with its time. I don't see why these spirit are opposed as imo, you can build both : it depend on the district and its context.

Paris may sometimes build strange architecture for you , but most of it is outside the borders, as the city center is imo, almost perfect. And most of times the buildings are well integrated, despite being visually new.
Fortunatelly , La Defense was build outside ! and now it's just a beautifull add on, which does not break the city spirit... 1+1 = 2
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM   #5889
Sesto Elemento
Rêver plus haut !

Likes (Received): 7241

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Didn't you learn a lesson or two from the Montparnasse desaster, Paris? WTF?
What desaster ?

Conduisez le mouvement, n'attendez rien.

ory26, Avemano liked this post
Sesto Elemento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5890
vonbingen
BANNED

headquarters SFR .Saint-Denis city. north of paris.
in front of Stade De France
pictures viguier.com

Jex7844 liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5891
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10737

@ arno-13: agreed, good post.

The damage to Paris' harmonious looks by ambitious large size projects is a vastly imaginary problem IMO. The only large project that I can think of that was a true wound in Paris' urban tissue was Les Halles (the XXth century ones). But even that only affects that exact place, because as the area is extremely densely built-up, you can't see Les Halles if you are outside of that particular square.
Other major projects I can think of are the complex in the Parc de la Villette (so outside of the urban tissue), the Paris - Rive Gauche site with the national library, the architecture school, the Paris VII university etc. (which was previously a former industrial site, so no urban tissue to be harmed there, and the industrial landmarks were preserved and reconverted), or the Jussieu area (the university campus and the Institut du monde arabe, which I find well integrated at street level, and it offers the skyline a modest tower, which you may like or not - I like it).
All of them I consider successful cases and examples of how to keep building while preserving the identity of the city core. BTW that exhibition complex that started the discussion isn't even in the city core, it's right at the city border (Versailles Gate), where classical Paris has already ended and the things that make the area interesting are the variety of modernist buildings, especially art-deco; you only need to take a full-length ride with the T3a to realize that. Saying that it would compete with the Eiffel Tower only shows a lack of knowledge of Parisian geography.

Edit: ah and BTW I like the Montparnasse tower, walking in the neighbourhood around it is one of my favourite walks. Of course its insertion there was traumatic but in time, if there was something to learn from it, it was that a bit of contemporary architecture here and there freshens things up especially in the sense that it helps put older architecture into a fresh light because of contrast. One just must not bring TOO much contrast in because that does change identity - even if not necessarily for the worse, but changing identity is a big issue that must be pondered carefully.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

arno-13, charpentier, Avemano liked this post

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; November 22nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5892
vonbingen
BANNED

picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom-nc/

Bren, Jex7844, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5893
Arul kumar

Likes (Received): 0

enerally global cities are in Anglosaxon countries. Because they have always won any war.
Arul kumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5894
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul kumar View Post
enerally global cities are in Anglosaxon countries. Because they have always won any war.

Ji-Ja-Jot, ory26, Avemano, bozenBDJ liked this post
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5895
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:

I support this message!

Innovation and experimentation are not goals in themselves. They are a means to an end. It's much better to use an old good design than a new bad one.

I really like your term "Lady Gaga buildings". It's spot on. Lady Gaga just innovates for the sake of it and as a result it has no meaning and it's pointless and ugly.

And experiments & innovations don't have to be these grand, attention-seeking gestures. They can be very subtle. They can be refinements which are barely noticeable. Making a small improvement is a huge achievement. I think a lot of Parisian modern architecture is just not refined enough. It's an explosion of ambition, but I think a lot of it will fail and be demolished in the future.

I also agree that Paris is stuck in the last century philosophically. Postmodernism is dead but I think Parisians will struggle to acknowledge that because they manufactured it and sold it to the world.

erbse, Galro liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5896
Pew
No, no and no

I think innovation and experimentations could be goals in themselves, lady gaga is a lab for fashion innovation, not everything is good (far from that) but she'll bring something for fashion and inspire those who are stucked with their lack of ideas. So for Paris, I want the finest architecture possible for the core of the city, slight innovation for classy buildings. But it does not keep we have some labs just to innovate and experiment. What is the problem of having crazy buildings in some areas as soon as they don't interfere with the center city identity/consistency ?

Avemano, bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by Pew; November 23rd, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #5897
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 11206

Quote:
Originally Posted by arno-13 View Post
I think you miss all the point. Paris IS the city of visual unity. While hosting numerous architectural style , she is probably the most harmonious city on earth (at least for its size and for it's alpha rank). Most of it's city center (Paris administrative borders) and a large amount of its close suburbs (1st circle which is more or less as dense) is made of architecture from middle ages , renaissance and post modern times. But walking in the street all what you feel is harmony on the colours , on the size of the buildings, on the way streets and perpectives are made.

On the other hand, Berlin never had that uniformity feel as much as Paris. Moreover, the city way deeply destroyed, so she had to reconstruct its identity from A to Z. And that way of thinking is still in your mind, which is quite normal.

I like very much the buildings you showed, as they are very integrated.
I'm not against that kind of architecture, but if you build this , you have to make some modern buildings too, in order not to feel like in Disneyland, but in a city which lives with its time. I don't see why these spirit are opposed as imo, you can build both : it depend on the district and its context.

Paris may sometimes build strange architecture for you , but most of it is outside the borders, as the city center is imo, almost perfect. And most of times the buildings are well integrated, despite being visually new.
Fortunatelly , La Defense was build outside ! and now it's just a beautifull add on, which does not break the city spirit... 1+1 = 2
Totally agree.
Avemano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #5898
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 994

Paris should be careful not to demolish significant amounts of historic buildings. Parisians should be aware of the great value of an intact and cohesive historic environment and not take it for granted, even though they may wanna see something fresh instead. In Vienna they are demolishing a lot of historic buildings and gradually it's starting to show. I also agree though that Paris does not need new traditional architecture, it's got enough of that. Berlin, however, doesn't and so it's good that both traditional and modern architecture get's built there.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5899
Pew
No, no and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostädter View Post
Paris should be careful not to demolish significant amounts of historic buildings. Parisians should be aware of the great value of an intact and cohesive historic environment and not take it for granted
Fully agree but don't worry for that. Parisians are aware......Historicals, hausmanianns, divers old good looking buildings are untouchable. What is worrying me is that for most cases, even the old bad looking buildings are not touchable cause of some group of people against the renewal. Paris is on one extrem side, but not the one you all seem to think it is.

bozenBDJ, Autostädter liked this post
Old November 24th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5900
Tylow

Likes (Received): 26

Relax guys,

All of those Hausmanian and beautiful buildings are protected, they will never be destroyed. Almost all of those modern projects that you see over here are never located in those historical neighborhoods, they are usually just outside.

I think there is misconception in location here. Paris is quite big, the historical center represents maybe only 20/25% of the dense area of Paris, there's plenty of room for experimentation in the rest!

I'm not saying that there are not any "modern and controversial" buildings in the historical center been built up, but they usually replace another 70's ugly building rather than a beautiful Hausmanian masterpiece.

Autostädter, alexandru.mircea liked this post
Tylow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects