daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #621
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Oh, so sorry I should have made it clearer, I meant Plant floors.

Originally Posted by Cyril
"Anyway the Tour Phare's top plant floor will be (much) higher than sexy LBT"
So, the statement I was replying to was wrong, obviously, as LBT's plant floors take it to 306m apparently

Plant floors are floors none the less
I meant the highest occupied floor (i.e. office floor, NOT a technical floor) of course.

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #622
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
I meant the highest occupied floor (i.e. office floor, NOT a technical floor) of course.
Ah, well then it was just a misunderstanding then.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #623
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Well, we don't know yet. Most probably it won't be, but we're not 100% sure yet. Also, the LBT website was created before the tour signal (aka tour Phare) was known, and probably it hasn't been updated since tour Phare's announcement 2 weeks ago.

Also remember that local chauvinism is often blinding people. When I was living in London I remember the media said that Westminster Hall was the largest medieval hall in Europe, whereas in Paris people say that the great hall of the Palais de la Cité (now the Salle des pas perdus inside the Palais de Justice) was the largest medieval hall in Europe. Obviously one of the two cities is wrong, but I don't know which one.

Westiminster Hall

Salle des pas perdus (the medieval hall burnt in the 17th century and was rebuilt in classical style)
Not necessarily. Westminster Hall is the largest Medieval Hall still in existence (and use). The Salle des pas Perdus, as you state yourself burnt down. It may have been bigger at the time, but the medieval hall does no longer exist. So the two claims are not necessarily contradictory, one relates to what was there in the past and the other relates to what is still there.

With regards to the LBT internet site, yes it has not been updated for a long time. We also do not know whether these new Paris towers will have public viewing galleries and high-level restaurants, but I truely hope so. Anyway, the Eiffel Tower still has the highest publicly accessible viewing gallery and I do not think any of these towers will beat the Eiffel tower in this respect. It just shows how much ahead of its time the Eiffel tower was.

Last edited by JGG; December 14th, 2006 at 12:52 PM.
JGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #624
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGG View Post
With regards to the LBT internet site, yes it has not been updated for a long time. We also do not know whether these new Paris towers will have public viewing galleries and high-level restaurants, but I truely hope so. Anyway, the Eiffel Tower still has the highest publicly accessible viewing gallery and I do not think any of these towers will beat the Eiffel tower in this respect. It just shows how much ahead of its time the Eiffel tower was.
That's precisely what I was refering to. LBT's public viewing gallery couldn't in any way be the highest in Europe, as the Eiffel tower's one has been higher for 130 years... A very strange mistake for an official website.
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #625
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

mistakes happen all the time - and often happen not because of arrogance but because of bad research. the bbc said for years, that one canada square is the tallest building in europe. and the british media still writes the london bridge tower will be tallest building in europe...
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #626
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Yes, and it is not just the Brits either... I was browsing on the EPAD site, the official La Defense internet site the other day and it stated that La Defence is the largest business district in Europe. It is the largest "purpose-built or modern" business district in Europe, but that is something different from their claim. It is just that people like superlative, wherever they live.
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #627
Minato ku

French news is not better

French media said that Montparnasse tower is the highest skyscraper in europe
It was few month ago.

JGG has right and la Defense is not the largest business district in Paris
In fact the largest business district in europe is Opera (Paris) or The city (London)

Last edited by Minato ku; December 14th, 2006 at 02:50 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #628
Phil
For great justice

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Yes, and it is not just the Brits either... I was browsing on the EPAD site, the official La Defense internet site the other day and it stated that La Defence is the largest business district in Europe. It is the largest "purpose-built or modern" business district in Europe, but that is something different from their claim. It is just that people like superlative, wherever they live.
Indeed, it's not even the largest in Paris.
Phil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #629
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Ahh who cares about media? They are good for nothing, and never do research on stuff like this and think they can make up what they want. They are very poorly informed, in most countries.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #630
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
We also do not know whether these new Paris towers will have public viewing galleries and high-level restaurants, but I truely hope so.
These towers will have high-level restaurants and viewing galleries. They will also have fitness centers, conference halls, etc. This has been repeatedly indicated by La Défense Authority (EPAD). They don't want private office towers anymore; they want towers open to the city.
Quote:
Anyway, the Eiffel Tower still has the highest publicly accessible viewing gallery and I do not think any of these towers will beat the Eiffel tower in this respect. It just shows how much ahead of its time the Eiffel tower was.
If the tour signal (aka tour Phare) puts the viewing gallery on the top floor, it will be higher than the Eiffel Tower's 3rd floor which is the highest part of the Eiffel Tower acccessible to tourists.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #631
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 264

However, the Efiel will continue to dominate no matter what viewing gallery is taller than it in Paris
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #632
JGG
LONDON - Westminster

Quote:
These towers will have high-level restaurants and viewing galleries. They will also have fitness centers, conference halls, etc. This has been repeatedly indicated by La Défense Authority (EPAD). They don't want private office towers anymore; they want towers open to the city.

If the tour signal (aka tour Phare) puts the viewing gallery on the top floor, it will be higher than the Eiffel Tower's 3rd floor which is the highest part of the Eiffel Tower acccessible to tourists.
That would make LD part of the tourist circuit, which would be in fact good for Paris' image. I am eager to see whether Tour Signal will be allowed to "dethrone" the Eiffel Tower. For many people which are not skyscraper enthousiasts the height of a building is determined by the highest floor or platform to which you can go, not the top of the spire or antenna. Anyway it would be good to have a few other high up restaurants in Paris because then maybe it will become easier to book a reservation in the Eiffel tower restaurant (every time I have tried I was too late).
Old December 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #633
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass View Post
However, the Efiel will continue to dominate no matter what viewing gallery is taller than it in Paris
True.
Quote:
That would make LD part of the tourist circuit, which would be in fact good for Paris' image.
It's already part of the tourist circuit. All Paris tourist guide books have a section about La Défense. Just go to La Défense on any single day, and you'll see the throngs of tourists on the steps of the Grande Arche. The problem with this tour Phare is that once it's opened it will probably take months before we can actually reach the top, because of the huge queues. And most people in the queues will probably be speaking Mandarin Chinese. Lol. For the recently opened Quai Branly Museum I waited for two months before I endeavored a visit there.
Quote:
Anyway it would be good to have a few other high up restaurants in Paris because then maybe it will become easier to book a reservation in the Eiffel tower restaurant (every time I have tried I was too late).
Not just the Eiffel Tower restaurant. Every Michelin 3-star restaurant is booked several weeks, sometimes several months in advance. Just try to go to the Grand Véfour or to the Carré des Feuillants...
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #634
brisavoine
BANNED

Little pic of La Défense taken yesterday from the 17th floor of the currently u/c T1 Tower. Look at the size of people on the left of the picture...

6 years from now, the tour signal (aka tour Phare) will be standing exactly on the lower-left corner of this picture.

Old December 15th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #635
jef

I love this shot!
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #636
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

oh my...this thread is so old...is it the only interest in architecture than "your tower is smaller than mine" or "my gallery is larger that yours"...

why mot renaming the tittle of this thread into a city Versus City thread.

well just keep it there.
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #637
jef

Maybe it's old but the pic is awesome.
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #638
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
I love this shot!
I love these two pictures below too. It's a 1930 residential building lost in the middle of La Défense and which is about to be demolished. This could be the site where they plan to build the Viguier tower. One of our informant in La Défense said this Viguier tower would be 240m high, now another informant said it's actually only 180m high. There haven't been any official announcement, so we don't know the exact height for sure.

And this is the Viguier tower that may replace the 1930 building:

Old December 16th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #639
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Last time I went to Paris, I remember seeing them two buildings with sloping roofs but when i saw them, the appeared to be joined. So strange. Great picture though!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #640
Chrispic

Likes (Received): 514

Quote:
I love these two pictures below too. It's a 1930 residential building lost in the middle of La Défense and which is about to be demolished.
If I good understand what you say, there is an error: the 1930 residential building is already demolished (several month ago)

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects