daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #681
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

no of course it's not, it's wonderful. i'm thinking more in terms of some buildings like Tower place and such.

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #682
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5619

Does anyone have a source about the Ferrier Tower and it's possibility to be constructed elsewhere?
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #683
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
The Millau Viaduct isn't so bad though.
Foster's impact on the Millau Viaduct's design is minimal, he was just a name associated with the engineering team Virlogeux-Eiffage/Eiffel...

The choice of a multispan cable stayed bridge was the most economical and the one having the minimal impact on the views of the valley. The shape of the deck was the classical wing section you see on most suspended/cable stayed bridge to minimise the effects of wind on it, the fact that the piers are divided in 2 parts at their top is to minimise the rotation of the deck on the pier bearings when a single span is fully loaded, etc... Foster is just a name and he and his team basically don't know a shit about bridges...

The only man behind the Millau Viaduct is Michel Virlogeux who also designed the Normandy bridge and the Vasco-de-Gama bridge in Lisbon, the Rion Antirion Bridge in Geece, and worked on most of the big cable-stayed bridges in the world...
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #684
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

sorry we're getting a tad off track here, but what exactly was Foster's role exactly? I always thought the bridge was pretty much his brainchild.
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #685
Matthieu
Administrateur

Foster's original plan was for a straight bridge and it ended being curved in order to avoid people being sick while crossing it (vertigo).
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #686
bnmaddict

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
sorry we're getting a tad off track here, but what exactly was Foster's role exactly? I always thought the bridge was pretty much his brainchild.
Basically, nothing...

In fact, The technical director of Eiffage TP was one of my professors years ago, and I'm in contact with Virlogeux (= being really lucky in my profession) for the preliminary design of a cable stayed bridge to be built in Delhi; both told us that Foster was just a name associated to the engineering team and that he hardly had anything to say or do during the design phase.

It's quite logical... All the big bridges are designed by engineers for cost and efficiency reasons while the small bridges and footbridges can be designed by architects (Calatrava, Marc Mimram, Foster etc...).

Last edited by bnmaddict; January 17th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
bnmaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #687
bnisopps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Hong Kong Business Relocation & Migration Plan

EDIT by Matthieu: Spam
bnisopps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #688
Matthieu
Administrateur

Next time someone wants to spam a thread with advertisement, don't do it in a thread an admin is reading... it makes you look like a moron.
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #689
Densaga

Likes (Received): 17

If you can go to paris , you MUST absolutely go to Palais de Chaillot.
There is an convention about all the Phare projects .
In those little pics you can think there are bullshit
It's not true , there are all great

Here are some pics i've taken

Gautrand

Phare Morphosis should be 287m with an observation dock at 272m

Perrault by night . Excellent

H&DM is very cool . The hole is impressive

My wife loved Koolhaas ...

Foster

Ferrier

Nouvel

Perrault

Michelin

Densaga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #690
Phobos

Koolhas project is disgusting
I didn't like any of the projects so far...
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #691
delahaye

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
The project never really stood a chance then lol. ... The only one I like is Ferrier's scheme, and even then that's not amazing.
oh please....
delahaye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #692
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

I think they're all very imaginative. Would love to see the models in person.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #693
3tmk
Rusty Robot

To be honest, the more I look at Koolhaas', the more I like it.
First I said that him and Nouvel must have smoked some bad weed together, but with retrospect, they seem to be genuis, albeit Nouvel's tower would fit much better in Japan or China, or perhaps Times Square with a giant billboard on top

But Koolhaas' tower has potential, and screams "signal" all over

And as I've said before, H&M did the most awesome job of all, and the details you showed, with the big mouse hole, is great. It's a shame they picked that other piece of crap instead (I had to insult the Morphosis at least once in 2007 )

Thanks Densega for the photos!

Oh and one last thing...
287 meters? Honestly? According to the pic it seems to be from the dalle, so I guess with the height differential it will barely make it to 300m to have a supertall status, although this greatly undermines its position, especially in concurrence to Generali
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #694
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Great news on the French forum. One of the French forumers attended the New Year "good wishes" press conference of La Défense Authority (EPAD)'s director on Tuesday. These press conferences are a tradition in France after New Year. EPAD's director announced that the Generali Tower and Thom Mayne's tour Phare would be built, but he also said that a third tower taller than 300 meters (1,000 ft) would be built! He referred to that third tower as the "tour signal". Initially, the "tour signal" was supposed to be the new symbol of La Défense, and that's Thom Mayne's tower that was selected, but then they renamed it "tour Phare". Now apparently the name "tour signal" would apply to another 300 m+ tower.

From what I understand, this has to do with the way the architect contest was decided. Apparently French architect Jacques Ferrier thought he would win the contest with his modified version of the Hypergreen Tower, but eventually the jury chose Thom Mayne whose tower's cost is higher than the limit set by the jury at the beginning of the contest. According to some members of the French forum, Ferrier was furious at the outcome of the contest, especially because of Thom Mayne not respecting the cost limitation. He made a big fuss about it, and it seems (that's how I and other forumers interpret it), it seems the director of La Défense Authority has accepted to authorize Ferrier's tower on another location at La Défense. That's why we have this nice trick of announcing a new 300 m+ "tour signal" separate from Thom Mayne's tour Phare. Nobody knows where that new "tour signal" would be located exactly. There are several locations that are possible, and I reckon most of them are to the left of the Grande Arche (contrary to Thom Mayne's tour Phare and to the Generali Tower which are both to the right of the Grande Arche).

Ferrier's tower for La Défense is 333 meters (1,093 ft) high and has 70 floors. If built, it would become La Défense and the European Union's tallest skyscraper. You've already seen some renderings of that tower in the messages before. In my opinion it looks really great. Look at the base of the tower in particular, it's simply awesome.

Last edited by brisavoine; April 26th, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #695
Matthieu
Administrateur

That's a great thing but let's not get our hopes up.
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #696
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
That's a great thing but let's not get our hopes up.
I agree with you. I don't know if anyone realized it but 325 meters isn't an unsignificant height : It is exactly 1 meter higher than the 324 meters of the Eiffel tower. As a result, if Ferrier's tower would be built, it would be the tallest in Paris !

All this to say that it would indeed be truely great, and it's also good news that the Ferrier tower isn't fully cancelled despite having lost the contest... but we're not there yet.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #697
JP

Likes (Received): 14

aaahhh c'est donc pour ça que tout le monde commence à aimer hypergreen !!
tout le monde la trouvait moche à 200 et quelques metres pour issy les mou'...
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #698
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The base is great. I much prefer that to the Tour Phare. Much more deserving of the tallest in western Europe title IMO.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #699
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by delahaye View Post
oh please....
Oh please what? Don't speak my mind?

I like Ferrier's alot, but now that i have seen the base, as I have said it is even better.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #700
le lyonnais du 81

Likes (Received): 0

so , to resume we have in project in la defense :

- Tour Hypergreen : 325 m
- Tour Generali : 318 m
- Tour morphosis : 287 m
- Tour AXA : 225 m
-Tour de Viguier : 180 m

it's wonderful i think in 2012 Paris will have the best skyline of Europe
le lyonnais du 81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects