daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #721
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Likes (Received): 4220

This is simply a piece of art!

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #722
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

I don't know why, but I'm not really seduced by Gautrand's proposal. The cladding work is really a piece of Art, but I'm not sure I would have liked it in the heart of La Défense.

I guess that somehow it's because it reminds me the tour Nuages (the entrance of those towers are also made of big circles). Now this being said, comparing both is totally silly considering the gap in quality. It is a bit the same as comparing a traban cars with a BMW. But I can't help myself to be influenced by this.

Last edited by Metropolitan; January 22nd, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #723
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

But what you see is the second skin, i think it really takes a life of its own: it's intricate, in fact i see two different skin wowen into one, it's bubly and funky and yet sober enough to make it a serious contender in this competition, the transitional design between the ground and the tower is almost perfectly smooth... i think it's a crowd pleaser. Granted, not everybody's taste but very generally a refreshing design.
Underneath all that, you've got a more conventional tower (look at the cladding underneath the skin).
The dressing up of the tower really makes what is special about it.
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #724
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
But what you see is the second skin, i think it really takes a life of its own: it's intricate, in fact i see two different skin wowen into one, it's bubly and funky and yet sober enough to make it a serious contender in this competition, the transitional design between the ground and the tower is almost perfectly smooth... i think it's a crowd pleaser. Granted, not everybody's taste but very generally a refreshing design.
Underneath all that, you've got a more conventional tower (look at the cladding underneath the skin).
The dressing up of the tower really makes what is special about it.
Yeah I agree with this. Gautrand's design is really refreshing, and bringing such a proposal can only make architecture move forward in the future.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM   #725
JP

Likes (Received): 14

c'est d'un chic de parler entre nous en anglais !
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:32 PM   #726
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

I went to the exhibition at the Palais de Chaillot yesterday. This exhibition presents all candidate projects for the tour Phare. I could peruse the architect plans that were displayed, and so I could deduce the exact height of Thom Mayne's tour Phare. His tower is 350 meters high at sea level, but street level below the tower is 53 meters above sea level it appears (that's the sea level height of the rue de la demi-lune). In other words, that means that the tower is exactly 297 meters (974 ft) high from street level to the top of the tower's hair. Roof height is exactly 282 meters (925 ft) from street level. That's where the viewing gallery will be located. At 282 meters above street level, that viewing gallery will be 6 meters (20 ft) higher than the Eiffel Tower's 3rd floor (the highest accessible part of the Eiffel Tower), and 38 meters (125 ft) higher than the London Bridge Tower's viewing gallery (if it's built). Given that the tour Phare will stand near the top of La Défense hill, and that the Eiffel Tower was built along the Seine, i.e. at a lower altitude than La Défense hill, the tour Phare's viewing gallery will actually be 25 meters (82 ft) higher than the Eiffel Tower's 3rd floor as measured from sea level. This means that when you'll stand on the tour Phare's viewing gallery, you'll see Paris from an altitude 25 meters higher than you would from the Eiffel Tower's 3rd floor. I think it will be the highest viewing gallery in Europe, unless some people know of a higher viewing gallery somewhere (German telecom tower or something), I'd be curious to know.

The Generali Tower, standing at 318 meters (1,043 ft), will be taller than the tour Phare, but because it will be built towards the bottom of La Défense hill, it will appear at exactly the same height as the tour Phare. The tip of both towers will be exactly 350 meters above sea level.

Last but not least, during my visit to the Palais de Chaillot I discovered that Ferrier's tower was actually taller than the 325 meters announced on his website. The tower stands actually 333 meters (1,093 ft) above street level. It has been rumored that this tower, which lost the contest, would be built anyway in another location at La Défense. If built in another location, its height would probably be slightly higher (if the same design is kept). That's because on the site where tour Phare is to be built the difference between street level and slab level is only 10 meters, whereas in other parts of La Défense that difference is bigger, up to 20 meters I reckon. So Ferrier's tower, if built in another location at La Défense, would probably be around 335 meters (1,100 ft).

So, to sum up all the information we have at the moment, here is the status of the three tallest skyscrapers at La Défense so far:
  • Ferrier's tower: approx. 335 m (1,100 ft) - RUMORED
  • Generali Tower: 318 m (1,043 ft) - APPROVED (due to open in 2011)
  • tour Phare (Thom Mayne): 297 m (974 ft) - APPROVED (due to open in 2012)
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM   #727
Karakuri
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

According to what has been said on a French forum, 2 towers are proposed in Joinville, in the suburb of Paris. One 100m hotel tower, and an 200m office tower. But nothing official yet:

Last edited by Karakuri; January 22nd, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Karakuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM   #728
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

It's actually a vision, not a proposal i believe. Sure, thing are hotting up but parisian forumers don't seem to think it is viable as yet to see it as a serious contender in today's skyscraper's race.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:39 AM   #729
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
According to what has been said on a French forum, 2 towers are proposed in Joinville, in the suburb of Paris. One 100m hotel tower, and an 200m office tower. But nothing official yet:
Joinville???!! I'm discovering this tonight, and what the heck?!! We have heard about many municipalities surrounding the City of Paris, but now even bloody Joinville, the sleepiest suburban community I know, is joining the fray! This is crazy. If Joinville builds a 200 m skyscraper, that will just be the most bizarre thing ever...

For those not familiar with Paris, Joinville, full name Joinville-le-Pont (I always thought this was the lamest name ever), is a mostly residential suburban community to the east of Paris, not even bordering the City of Paris itself. It is located on the other side of the Bois de Vincennes, a good 9.5 km (6 miles) from the center of Paris. There were 17,117 inhabitants in Joinville at the 1999 census, 7,748 of whom were in employment. There were, however, only 4,582 jobs locally at the 1999 census, which means that it is essentially a bedroom community, with people commuting out to the rest of Greater Paris.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM   #730
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

I do think it is a mere vision..But if this kind of community wants to build skyscrapers, we'll have skyscrapers everywhere in the Greater Paris eventually.

Last edited by Cyril; January 23rd, 2007 at 09:04 AM.
Cyril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #731
brisavoine
BANNED

There was an article about the "tour Phare" in the French newspaper Le Figaro yesterday in which they interviewed its Californian architect Thom Mayne: http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/20070..._defense_.html

Thom Mayne said his aim was to create "something specific for Paris. The starting point of this process was thus to challenge this generic character of towers. Today, you can see the same towers over in Shanghai, Hong-Kong, London or Dallas."

He also said he's aware of the sometimes consevative tendencies of the French public, remembering the controversies surrounding the Eiffel Tower or the Pompidou Centre when they were built. Nonetheless, he said he doesn't agree with those who believe that nothing is possible in Paris. "I am a much more optimistic person and I can't imagine that some people think that Paris is over. It is a 21st century city."
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #732
brisavoine
BANNED

Nice view found on the French forum. I don't know who is the author. All new skyscrapers that we already know of are shown on the picture.

La Défense 2013
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #733
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5619

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
This is the base of Gautran's tower. Absolutely fantastic (although I'm less convinced by the rest of the tower). An out-of-this-world monument it would have been.....
Thanks that's what I was looking for. Yes it's absolute piece of art!
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #734
desiderio_100578

Likes (Received): 0

gratte-ciels et bals musette

Quote:
Joinville???!! I'm discovering this tonight, and what the heck?!! We have heard about many municipalities surrounding the City of Paris, but now even bloody Joinville, the sleepiest suburban community I know, is joining the fray! This is crazy. If Joinville builds a 200 m skyscraper, that will just be the most bizarre thing ever...

For those not familiar with Paris, Joinville, full name Joinville-le-Pont (I always thought this was the lamest name ever), is a mostly residential suburban community to the east of Paris, not even bordering the City of Paris itself. It is located on the other side of the Bois de Vincennes, a good 9.5 km (6 miles) from the center of Paris. There were 17,117 inhabitants in Joinville at the 1999 census, 7,748 of whom were in employment. There were, however, only 4,582 jobs locally at the 1999 census, which means that it is essentially a bedroom community, with people commuting out to the rest of Greater Paris.
A joinville-le-pont,pont,pont
tous deux nous irons,rons,rons...
C'est vrai que c'est très curieux d'imaginer des tours à joinville mais ça prouve au moins que Paname est toujours vivant et qu'elle regarde vers l'avenir...
Alive and kicking!!!
desiderio_100578 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #735
brisavoine
BANNED

Latest views of the 184 m (604 ft) Granite Tower currently under construction in La Défense. The pictures were taken yesterday.

Old January 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #736
Matthieu
Administrateur

The cladding is awesome, can't wait to see it all built.
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:11 AM   #737
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

New skyscrapers expected for Paris City

image hosted on flickr

As reported yesterday in Le Monde newspaper, the Comité des Grandes Hauteurs* lately agreed to make it possible to build skyscrapers at 3 specific locations within Paris City (well NOT in central Paris but on the fringes of Paris city as you can see on the map above) :

- One 200m tower near Porte de Bercy (a hotel apparently). THe huge ugly Bercy motorway interchange (the meeting of A4 and Paris city ringroad motorways) would be destroyed and rebuild so as to make room available in this area between Paris city and Charenton community.

- One 200m tower near Porte de la Chapelle (Office space apparently). Once again the motorway interchange (the meeting of A1 and Paris city ringroad motorways) there would be refurbished. Across the ringroad there, Saint Denis community is also expected to build skyscrapers. So we can already expect a cluster of towers there.

- Some mid-rise buildings are expected to be built near Porte d'Ivry too.

* The Comité des Grandes Hauteurs is an assembly made of politicians from all parties in Paris and from abroad too, sociologists, urban planners, dwellers, historians etc...The main goal is to get to a consensus about specific high rise projects within Paris city so as to make it possible to build some skyscrapers at a specific spot although, as we all know, nothing taller than 37-meter can be build in Paris city. This assembly can give the go-ahead for specific projects of skyscraper developments if the quality/settings of the project is ok for the assembly.

Last edited by Cyril; January 31st, 2007 at 08:01 AM.
Cyril no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:42 AM   #738
Matthieu
Administrateur

That's fantastic news!
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM   #739
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
lately agreed to make it possible to build skyscrapers at 3 specific locations within Paris City (well NOT in central Paris but on the fringes of Paris city as you can see on the map above)
Well, the City of Paris (including all 20 arrondissements) IS central Paris, in a Greater Paris perspective.

About the 200-meter tower at the Porte de Charenton in the 12th arrondissement, it would contain a luxury hotel.

Le Monde also confirmed that the Saint-Denis local council, to the north of the Porte de la Chapelle, are planning to build skyscrapers on their territory, which was already reported in previous months by other French medias.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM   #740
Cyril
Particle XLR8R

Quote:
Well, the City of Paris (including all 20 arrondissements) IS central Paris, in a Greater Paris perspective.
Some people define Central Paris as what is inside the railway stations termini circle and not the whole of Paris City territory. Well it is arguable.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects