daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:56 AM   #7821
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Massy Grand Ouest
Redevelopment around Massy Palaiseau station in southern suburb.
Mostly looking like some cheaply renovated commieblocks...

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

ruthen1an liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #7822
Barbe Verte
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Very poor materials and shapes.

Last edited by Barbe Verte; May 29th, 2015 at 03:36 AM.
Barbe Verte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #7823
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10737

Bizarre comments above. Those buildings looks just fine. Well above the average of what you get for a suburban residential neighbourhood, 17 kilometres away from downtown Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Mostly looking like some cheaply renovated commieblocks...
I thought you know how commieblocks look, erbse (volumetry, facade design etc.) If you want to educate yourself on the appearance of cheaply renovated ones, join us on the Romanian dedicated thread.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

clouchicloucha, Indy G liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #7824
Neric007

Likes (Received): 2195

Totally agree with you Alexandru.

I find those buildings to be nice, nothing like commieblocks. And someone has to explain to me how one can judge the quality of the materials with those renderings...
Neric007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #7825
erbse
LIBERTINED

Some people are (way too) easy to please when it comes to contemporary architecture.
The general level of new builts used to be way better throughout the 19th and early 20th century (see Belle Epoque, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Expressionism, Streamline Moderne, etc.). But to each his own I guess.

Old May 29th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #7826
Neric007

Likes (Received): 2195

Well I would kinda agree with that. However, for people back then, it as probably the same feeling since that's all the architecture they knew. Time will judge. Anyways, these constructions seem like a decent place and environment to live in.

Besides, those are residential buildings. Not everything built in the 19th or early 20th was a masterpiece but also a lot of random/plain constructions.
Neric007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #7827
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Some people are (way too) easy to please when it comes to contemporary architecture.
The general level of new builts used to be way better throughout the 19th and early 20th century (see Belle Epoque, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Expressionism, Streamline Moderne, etc.). But to each his own I guess.
I don't think you understand. Or rather you don't want to understand. Feel free to wander around where the project is being built, and THEN come back and praise the architecture of the past. There's your commieblocks! The existence of great architecture in great inner cities does not bind in any way remote residential suburbs to build fancy art deco towers, art nuveau villas or neo-renaissance palaces, nor that they could or that they should. That's an absurd logic. It's nice if the badly needed affordable residential projects have nice designs, like this one does (it's Christian de Portzamparc ffs!), but only the market can decide upon that.

Edit: that is not to say excellent stuff doesn't get built in remote suburbs, there is such stuff, but like it was in ages past for palaces, churches, monasteries etc that have set the bar for good architecture, now it also is for key buildings such as museums, cultural centres, stadiums, especially where regional funds can be used so that the projects go beyond what tiny suburbs can afford. Your quest for groundbreaking worldclass architecture in remote suburban residential projects is quite misguided, to say the least.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; May 29th, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #7828
erbse
LIBERTINED

I'm not looking for world class architecture in mid- or low-income suburbs, but for decent and sustainable building. It really doesn't have to be expensive at all. If I take the time I might show some examples of what I have in mind.

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #7829
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

OMG what is this??
Quote:

clouchicloucha liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #7830
erbse
LIBERTINED

Some Haussmannian gone lunatic.

Reminiscent of this Dutch experiment (Zaandam Inntel Hotel):

http://www.zaanstreek.nl/bezoeken/overnachten/?page=2

It's a willful kitschy postmodern abomination to classical architecture, but I'm still eager to see how it turns how. Looks like some sort of imprint on a glassy facade?!

cilindr0, yeisson, Indy G liked this post
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #7831
hseugut

Likes (Received): 784

Superbes projects !
hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:18 PM   #7832
anastylose

Likes (Received): 190

Pré Saint-Gervais

Re-use of former factory buildings for appartments and offices (rue lazare Carnot) :

Some parts of the former buildings were destroyed but the frontage are rebuilt :

And still in parisian East but intra muros, a new appartments building at the top of Ménilmontant :
Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:51 PM   #7833
izabella93

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogeater View Post
Generally global cities are in Anglosaxon countries. Because they have always won any war.
really?

clouchicloucha, Tiaren liked this post
izabella93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:28 AM   #7834
kisssme

Likes (Received): 5696

M2 tower (178M)

Old June 5th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #7835
Optimiste

Likes (Received): 43

Paris : world tallest wood building (proposal)

http://www.archdaily.com/637885/mga-...ding-in-paris/

Last edited by Optimiste; June 5th, 2015 at 01:47 AM.
Optimiste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #7836
Avemano
Luigi babe !

Likes (Received): 11206

Tourism in Paris
  • Still the most visited city in the world with 19.2 million international visitors in 2014 (52,6 % are Europeans).
  • The first 40 major cultural and recreation sites of Paris region received more than 100 million visitors. Most of them gained visitors from 2013 to 2014 (Louvre, Eiffel tower, Cité des sciences et de l'industrie, Grand Palais, Versailles ...).
  • First city for trade fairs and conferences in 2013 and 2014 according to the International Congress and Convention Association with 214 events.

Source and more : http://pro.visitparisregion.com/chif...-Ile-de-France
Focus on the international clientèle by nationality : http://pro-media.visitparisregion.co...rnationale.pdf

CB31, clouchicloucha, Forsen, erbse, ory26 and 6 others liked this post
Avemano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #7837
mod11
BANNED

Likes (Received): 104

Sexy this wood building.
Paris is always sexy.

clouchicloucha, Kot Bazilio, Gaeth liked this post
mod11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #7838
Sesto Elemento
Rêver plus haut !

Likes (Received): 7241

Brisavoine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
The French Senate fixed the limits of the Greater Paris Metropolis last week. If the National Assembly does not change before July what the Senate has done, then this is what the territory of the Greater Paris Metropolis should look like when it comes into existence on January 1, 2016.

The Métropole du Grand Paris (Greater Paris Metropolis) will:
  • include 133 communes (municipalies), i.e. City of Paris + 132 "suburban" municipalities
  • cover exactly 840 km² (324 mi²), i.e. 105 km² of City of Paris + 735 km² of inner and outer suburbs. Unfortunately many outer suburbs will not be included in the Greater Paris Metropolis, because the members of Parliament chose the path of least resistance and opted for a Greater Paris Metropolis essentially limited to the inner suburbs. For comparison, Greater London covers 1,572 km², and even the city of Rome covers 1,287 km².
  • have 7,014,165 inhabitants (that's the population of those 840 km² at the 2012 census). The population density was thus 8,350 inh. per km² (21,626 ppsm) at the 2012 census (25,757 inh. per km² / 66,711 ppsm in the City of Paris; 6,498 inh. per km² / 16,829 ppsm in the "suburbs").
  • be ruled by a "metropolitan council" made up of approx. 210 members representing the 133 communes
  • be divided into gigantic EPTs ("établissements publics territoriaux"), similar to London boroughs, whose exact numbers and limits will be known this summer (the EPTs must contain more than 300,000 inhabitants each, it's a mandatory requirement). I say "gigantic" in a French context (of minuscule communes), because of course those EPTs will be smaller than the NYC boroughs.
  • change Paris forever, but nobody knows exactly in what ways. Everybody (Parliament, government, local officials and mayors) is a bit lost after the 8 (8!) back and forth in Parliament that this Greater Paris bill has been submitted to, nobody knows where we're going exactly, but we're going 'there'. Armageddon starts on January 1, 2016 if you're to believe the local politicians. They are all peeing in their pants at the moment. Fun to watch.
  • (oh yeah, I almost forgot) perhaps be expanded to cover the entire 12,012 km² (4,638 mi²) of the Paris Region. Now some politicians in the government have 2nd thoughts, they think the territory of the Greater Paris Metropolis is too small (it will include Orly Airport in its entirety for example, but only one-third of CDG Airport, and none of the French 'MITs' located on the Plateau de Saclay, which concentrates Paris's top-notch engineering schools and scientific campuses), and it makes no sense to have a regional authority distinct from the metropolitan authority, so it would be better to merge the metropolis and the region. As of now we're heading towards a 840 km² metropolis on Jan. 1, 2016. After that, only God knows.

In the picture below that I took three days ago in the southern suburbs of Paris exactly 22.5 km (14 miles) south of Notre Dame Cathedral, everything will be outside of the Greater Paris Metropolis, which shows the absurdity of these narrow borders (at the same distance from St Paul's Cathedral in London we would be in the southern part of the Borough of Croydon, fully inside Greater London). There are about 300,000 people who live in this picture.

Conduisez le mouvement, n'attendez rien.

hseugut, Phobos liked this post
Sesto Elemento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #7839
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Isn't Brisavoine banned? lol

===

===

parcdesprinces liked this post
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #7840
Minato ku

The limit of the Métropole du Grand Paris as voted by the French Senate.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects