daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #9221
letranger

Likes (Received): 251

if only there were couple more high buildings(
letranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #9222
cochise75
Fourbe des collines

Likes (Received): 29651

Quote:
The future Paris Law Courts reached its climax at 160 meters high! Discover in time lapse the first stage of this remarkable project.

We'll always have Paris.

Aemilia, Vladk0, clouchicloucha, gdipasqu, IVCF liked this post
cochise75 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #9223
kisssme

Likes (Received): 5688

China’s Richest Man Goes Shopping in Paris

Quote:
Wanda is reportedly set to invest billions in France.

The conglomerate run by China’s richest man, Wang Jianlin, is set to invest billions of dollars in a shopping development outside Paris, according to a Bloomberg report today.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/25/chinas...ping-in-paris/

Old February 27th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #9224
ruthen1an

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
Personally, I find this Bergère district in Puteaux completely tacky. The actual working class 19th and early 20th century architectural heritage of the Paris "faubourgs" is being destroyed to make way for fake and pseudo-historical urbanism. A good way to bring in so more conservative and upper-income voters who are attracted to this disney-ish architecture.
Yep, another thing, if it would be a pseudo-eco-friendly selfish modernism.
ruthen1an no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 08:59 PM   #9225
Minato ku

Commuters in Paris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
Great news for those who love stats! The French statistical office INSEE has now made available all the commuting flows from the 2012 census down to the commune level. We can now find out in which of the 36,000+ French communes and municipal arrondissements of Paris, Lyon, and Marseille the residents of each individual commune/arrondissement work. It's thus possible to construct metropolitan areas based on any commuting threshold and to calculate the percentage of residents who commute from any commune or urban area (by aggregating the communes of the urban area) to any commune, urban, and metro area.

The full table would contain more than 1.3 billion cells, since there are more than 1.3 billion possibilities of commutes (from commune X to commune Y), and if we add the foreign communes in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, and Monaco, it's even more cells, so the full table would crash any software, but I've finally managed to find a (long and complicated) way to get the data I want for any commune or group of communes. It's time consuming though.

With this, it's now possible to compare the jobs and commute levels of Paris and London at any desired level, and to make comparisons absolutely like for like (we don't have to use entire French departments anymore, we can design any area perfectly matching the corresponding area in London given that the communes and arrondissements are small enough to end up always matching the corresponding desired area in London).

For London, ONS published commute data down to the MSOA level, which is more or less equal to the commune/arrondissement level, and I already posted figures for the London metro area last year using the INSEE definition of metro areas (40% commuting threshold).

To compare Paris and London, I've used three levels of comparison, from the larger to the smaller area: first Greater London compared to the same area around Paris, then Inner London compared to the same area around Paris, then the Congestion Charge area compared to the similar area inside Paris. Since that would make a very long post, I've cut it in three. Today I'll post the results for the Greater London comparison, and then in the next days I'll post the Inner London and the Congestion Charge area comparisons.

Those who follow my posts regularly are already quite familiar with the comparison of Greater London with the territory of same land area around Paris:

Last year I also gave the number of jobs located within these two territories at the UK and French censuses, but the novelty now is I'm finally able to give the number of residents from outside the area who come to work inside the area, and the residents from inside the area who go work outside the area.

Here are the results:

The first thing that strikes me here is the fact that despite being surrounded by much denser and more populated regions than Paris, Greater London attracts almost the same number of commuters as the 1,572 km² of Paris. This confirms what I had already found last year: the towns and cities in the south-eastern corner of England are largely independent from London, and are not very attracted by London, with the consequence than the London metro area doesn't extend very far, as I had explained last year to the disbelief of some.

It's interesting because the ancient forumers here probably remember the days from Ken Livingstone when the Greater London Authority published fancy maps showing a London "metropolitan region" (they were careful to call it "region" and not "area) extending all the way to Bournemouth, Swindon, Northampton, and Peterborough with solid lines linking all the urban nodes with each other, now proven by the 2011 census to be largely a construct of the imagination.

Not that there aren't links between London and those cities, but these links are not any stronger than those between Paris and far-flung cities like Rouen, Lille, Orléans, or even Lyon, cities which of course do not belong to the Paris metro area. In fact, in the coming weeks I'll give the commuting figures for Lyon, Lille, Rouen, etc to Paris, and compare them with those from the cities of England to London. What I can say for now is, from the data I've computed so far, commuting in France is far more long distance than in the UK.

Talking of which, where do these in-commuters come from?

This is where the 795,082 in-commuters of Greater London come from:
- from the 6 Home Counties: 585,041
- from the South East England (except Bucks, Berks, Surrey, and Kent): 86,049 (more than half of them from the two Sussex and Brighton)
- from the East of England (except Herts and Essex): 40,887
- from the South West England: 19,810 (4,950 of them from Wiltshire and Swindon; 3,480 from the Bristol & Bath metro area)
- from the East Midlands: 17,828
- from the West Midlands: 14,495 (5,270 of them from the West Midlands County, aka "Greater Birmingham", excluding Coventry)
- from the North West England: 10,293 (3,856 of them from Greater Manchester excluding Wigan; 1,960 from Merseyside, aka "Greater Liverpool")
- from Yorkshire and The Humber: 7,088
- from Wales: 4,570
- from the North East England: 3,772
- from Scotland: 3,622
- from Northern Ireland: 1,627

And this is where the 786,070 in-commuters of the 1,572 km² of Paris come from:
- from the rest of the Paris Region (outside of those 1,572 km²): 536,586
- from Picardy: 71,483 (57,247 of them from Oise)
- from Centre-Val de Loire: 41,243 (21,702 of them from Eure-et-Loir)
- from Normandy: 31,826 (17,726 of them from Eure)
- from Nord-Pas de Calais: 13,364 (4,857 of them from Lille metro area, which is 1 hour from central Paris by TGV)
- from Rhône-Alpes: 11,432 (5,372 of them from Lyon metro area which is 2 hours from central Paris by TGV)
- from Pays de la Loire: 10,552 (2,930 of them from Nantes metro area which is 2 hours from central Paris by TGV; 2,390 from Le Mans metro area which is 1 hour from central Paris by TGV)
- from Burgundy: 10,199
- from Brittany: 8,656 (2,618 of them from Rennes metro area which is 2 hours from central Paris by TGV)
- from Champagne-Ardenne: 7,157 (2,247 of them from Reims metro area which is 45 minutes from central Paris by TGV)
- from Southern France (PACA, Corsica, LR, MP, Aquitaine): 26,494 (3,401 of them from Bordeaux metro area which is 3 hours from central Paris by plane and TGV; 3,357 from Marseille metro area which is 3 hours from central Paris by plane and TGV; 2,621 from Toulouse metro area which is 3 hours from central Paris by plane and 5 and a half hours by TGV)
- from Eastern France (Lorraine, Alsace, Franche-Comté): 8,614
- from Massif Central and Poitou-Charentes: 7,937
- from Overseas France: 541

Just with these figures, we can see that commuters to Paris commute from much further away than commuters to London. For example, Lyon is located further away from Paris than Manchester from London (Lyon is as far from Paris as Newcastle from London), and its metro area is slightly less populated than Greater Manchester excluding Wigan, yet the Lyon metro area sends more commuters to the 1,572 km² of Paris than Greater Manchester excluding Wigan to Greater London (5,372 vs 3,856).

Also, 26,494 residents from Southern France commute to Paris every week, as opposed to only 3,622 who commute from Scotland to London. True, Southern France is far more populated than Scotland, but even Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur alone, which is slightly less populated than Scotland, sends more commuters to Paris (8,960 residents of PACA commute to the 1,572 km² of Paris) than Scotland to Greater London.

Talking of which, what surprised me while computing these data was that Bordeaux is the southern city sending the most commuters to Paris. Commute from Southern France is usually done by plane (these commuters are typically highly-qualified executives or university professors who fly to Paris in the early morning, work there for 3 or 4 days in a row while sleeping at the hotel at night, and fly back to Southern France on the evening of the 3rd or 4th day).

Somehow I would have imagined that Toulouse was the southern city sending the most commuters to Paris, due to its very active airport (busiest domestic line in France is Paris <--> Toulouse), but apparently it's Bordeaux. Perhaps some Bordeaux commuters also use the TGV to go to Paris, which is not an option for the commuters from Toulouse. With the opening of the Tours-Bordeaux high-speed line, traveling time by TGV between Bordeaux and central Paris will be cut from currently 3 hours to just 2 hours next year. This should put Bordeaux even more in the orbit of Paris.

Also, the other confirmation we get from these figures is the fact that the attraction of London in its immediate surroundings is less strong than in the case of Paris. The 6 home counties surrounding London are far more populated than the rest of the Paris Region beyond the 1,572 km², yet they send barely 50,000 more commuters to Greater London than the rest of the Paris Region to the 1,572 km² of Paris. The rest of the Paris Region beyond those 1,572 km² (which is a territory covering 10,441 km²) has 43.5% of its residents in employment who commute to the 1,572 km² of Paris, whereas the 6 home counties (13,538 km²) have only 16.7% of their residents in employment who commute to Greater London.

Finally, just for the sake of curiosity, let's have a look at the reverse commutes. People from London and Paris who commute to areas outside the 1,572 km². This may seem odd, since the whole point of living in expensive places like Paris and London is precisely to get closer to jobs, but many people actually choose to pay the higher rents there (and experience cramped housing conditions) while working outside of these two megacities. I realized that the first time some years ago when I boarded a train to Orléans at Gare d'Austerlitz in central Paris at 7am on a weekday, expecting the train to be rather empty, and was stunned to find the train totally full, with what looked like Parisians commuting to Orléans (of all places!), which is a good one hour from central Paris due to there being no high-speed line there (Orléans is as far from central Paris as Southampton from central London). When I returned to Paris from Orléans's central train station at 6pm, the train was again full of commuters returning to Paris. It was suddenly like stepping into an hitherto unknown world.

This is where the 261,516 out-commuters from the 1,572 km² of Paris work:
- in the communes containing CDG Airport: 48,220
- in the part of the new town of Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines not included in the 1,572 km² area: 20,825
- in the part of the Plateau de Saclay ("French Silicone Valley") not included in the 1,572 km² area: 18,957
- in the new town of Val de Bussy: 9,780
- at Dysneyland Paris and in the new town of Val d'Europe: 7,455
- in the new town of Sénart: 6,128
- in the rest of the Paris Region: 102,574
- outside of the Paris Region: 47,577

As for the 286,937 out-commuters from Greater London, they work a bit all over the place, with the top locations being the districts of Dartford to the east (11,746 residents of Greater London work there), Slough to the west (11,104), Reigate and Banstead to the south (10,732), and Hertsmere to the north (10,309).

What's odd is only 5,957 residents of Greater London work in the borough of Crawley, which contains Gatwick Airport. This airport attracts far less the Londoners than CDG Airport the Parisians.

To conclude, a great screenshot from a video recently released by the Société du Grand Paris (in charge of building the 200 km/125 miles of new fast subway lines in Greater Paris), with the skyscrapers of La Défense on the horizon. Everything that is visible on this picture is inside the pink area of Paris from the maps above.

Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:01 AM   #9226
clouchicloucha

Likes (Received): 8191

What a job.. Very interesting!
Old March 2nd, 2016, 06:31 PM   #9227
kisssme

st gobain tower

http://defense-92.fr/le-chantier-de-...r-saint-gobain

CB31, Aztecaa13, geometarkv liked this post
kisssme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 06:35 PM   #9228
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Today I stumbled upon a company named Autre Image, specialized in doing renders. They have some of the best renders I have ever seen. The ones bellow look so real that I have to ask if anyone knows the building, does it exist? The address is Avenue de Saxe. I visited the street on Street View but I couldn't find it. I can't find the project on the architects' page either (Naud & Poux). I'd be interested in any info about it.

http://www.autreimage.com/projets-12

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

CB31, AbidM, clouchicloucha, yeisson, Minsk liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:27 PM   #9229
kisssme

Students accomodation in puteaux, 85m Jean Nouvel

Old March 3rd, 2016, 08:39 PM   #9230
gdipasqu

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssme View Post

encore une belle deception... par contre pas mal la hauteur
On est sur du quoi là ?
gdipasqu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 10:18 PM   #9231
kisssme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdipasqu View Post
encore une belle deception... par contre pas mal la hauteur
On est sur du quoi là ?
decu? non mais franchemenent, tu en connais beaucoup des residences etudiantes comme ca? j'aurais revé avoir eu residence comme celle la.
85 m

Axel76NG, Pew, clouchicloucha liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:07 PM   #9232
Sesto Elemento
Rêver plus haut !

Likes (Received): 7205

Where did you found that pic of this residence ? Is there others ?

Conduisez le mouvement, n'attendez rien.

Sesto Elemento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 11:10 PM   #9233
kisssme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesto Elemento View Post
Where did you found that pic of this residence ? Is there others ?
http://www.ae75.fr/nos-references/references/

Sesto Elemento, clouchicloucha liked this post
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #9234
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssme View Post

What building is that on the far right? Don't think I've ever seen in reality nor in renders.
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #9235
Josh
City Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Commuters in Paris
Just out of curiosity, what's the percentage of public and private jobs in those total jobs from Paris and London?
Josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #9236
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10736

Quote:
Commuters in Paris
Where does brisavoine make these posts? I'd like to read the follow-ups.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #9237
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

A Look at BIG's 200-Acre EuropaCity

Quote:
Designed by Danish architect Bjarke Ingels Group, the project known as EuropaCity was recently supported by Chinese developer Dalian Wanda Group with a $3.3 billion investment. Scheduled to open in 2024, the complex will offer 230,000 square metres of retail space, 150,000 square metres of entertainment venues — this covers everything from a contemporary circus, a theme park, a water park, and an indoor ski slope to a cultural centre for children — 110,000 square metres of hospitality with 2,700 planned hotel rooms, 50,000 square metres of eating venues, food trucks and farmers' markets, a 20,000 square-metre congress and concert hall with up to 5,000 seats, and more than 10 hectares of public spaces including a seven-hectare urban farm.
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #9238
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's the percentage of public and private jobs in those total jobs from Paris and London?
Define "public job". Does that include jobs in education? Even private education? How do we distinguish private from public education? Are jobs in private Catholic high schools in Paris under contract with the French Ministry of Education considered private jobs?

Do public jobs include health related jobs? And what type of health related jobs? What of the many ophthalmologists, dentists, urologists, gynecologists, and other sorts of specialists which are all private businesses in France? What if these same specialists work for the public NHS in the UK? How do we make like for like comparisons?

And what about transport jobs? Underground and Métro drivers. Are they public jobs? Private jobs? And what about engineers and analysts working for RATP and Transport for London?

And what about home aides, people working in nursing homes for old people, etc. Are they private or public jobs. What about if the institution is private, but the state subsidizes the cost for old people. Does that make the jobs public?

And what about artists and the entertainment industry? If the state subsidizes the theaters, opera houses, and cinema studios, does that make those jobs public?

Just asking.
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #9239
Josh
City Geek

Quote:
Define "public job". Does that include jobs in education? Even private education? How do we distinguish private from public education? Are jobs in private Catholic high schools in Paris under contract with the French Ministry of Education considered private jobs?

Do public jobs include health related jobs? And what type of health related jobs? What of the many ophthalmologists, dentists, urologists, gynecologists, and other sorts of specialists which are all private businesses in France? What if these same specialists work for the public NHS in the UK? How do we make like for like comparisons?

And what about transport jobs? Underground and Métro drivers. Are they public jobs? Private jobs? And what about engineers and analysts working for RATP and Transport for London?

And what about home aides, people working in nursing homes for old people, etc. Are they private or public jobs. What about if the institution is private, but the state subsidizes the cost for old people. Does that make the jobs public?

And what about artists and the entertainment industry? If the state subsidizes the theaters, opera houses, and cinema studios, does that make those jobs public?

Just asking.
Public sector = military, police, public transport, infrastructure, public education, health care and government officials.
Private sector = everyhing else.

Is a comparison possible based on that definition?
Josh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 01:01 AM   #9240
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Is a comparison possible based on that definition?
No because the economic classification of activities used in the European censuses does not allow to distinguish public from private education (private education in France is quite large, given that Mitterrand failed to destroy the private education sector in 1984 due to the largest street demonstrations in France since 1968 which opposed a public-only education as initially envisioned by the Socialist luminaries).

The economic classification of activities also does not allow to distinguish public from private health. In France, contrary to the cliché of a statist and Socialist France, the private sector makes up the majority of the health sector. It has been the cornerstone of the French health system since 1945, contrary to the UK where health was turned into a public monopoly administered by the NHS. In France people consult private doctors, and then the French social security reimburses part of the money you have spent to pay the doctor (you pay the doctor first, you get reimbursed only later, and then only 65% is reimbursed, and oftentimes much less, unless you have a private health insurance on top of the social security). Only the public hospitals and their personnel are public jobs, but that's a minority of the French health sector.

Finally the economic classification of activities does not allow to distinguish public from private transport.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "infrastructure".

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects