daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2016, 12:01 PM   #9241
kisssme

Likes (Received): 5691

new Jardin de l'arche tower proposal by Soler (225m)
next to the new arena

eurico, Josedc, IThomas, arno-13, erbse and 14 others liked this post

Last edited by kisssme; March 6th, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
kisssme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2016, 02:28 PM   #9242
kisssme

7 places of paris to become semi-pedestrian

erbse, Pew, Sukino, Vladk0, clouchicloucha and 4 others liked this post
Old March 6th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #9243
letranger

Likes (Received): 251

"Jardin de l'arche tower proposal by Soler (225m)"
Awesome, but as usual, won't be built... I miss Phare(
letranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #9244
jeromekern
BANNED

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by letranger View Post
hello perhaps not Soler, but a tower will be built on this place shure.
its in progress
jeromekern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #9245
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

Jardin de l'arche looks stunning, I'm hoping this is the proposal that'll get built. Not that I'm against it but why is everything that gets proposed in LA Defense is double,such as Hermitage Plaza, tour Sisters,Jardin de l'arche.
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #9246
kisssme

Quote:
Originally Posted by letranger View Post
phare was a monstruosity. only the height was good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4creeper View Post
Not that I'm against it but why is everything that gets proposed in LA Defense is double,such as Hermitage Plaza, tour Sisters,Jardin de l'arche.
and outside la defense: Duos towers, and Erosia towers... twin towers again

ILTarantino liked this post
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #9247
Minato ku

Paris, Inner London and some other european cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
As promised, here is part 2 of the jobs and commuters comparison of Paris and London. This time we compare Inner London with the corresponding area of Paris.

There are two results which I found rather surprising here. The 1,572 km² of Paris contain more jobs than Greater London (at least back in 2011/2012), but somehow I would have expected Inner London to contain as many or even more jobs than the 319 km² of Paris, given that jobs in London are usually seen as quite concentrated in the center (City, West End, Canary Wharf). Well in fact it turns out the 319 km² of Paris contain more jobs than Inner London, and the lead of Paris over London is bigger at the level of those 319 km² than at the level of 1,572 km².

Despite the fact that (or should it be "because"?) the center of Paris has remained more residential than the center of London, jobs concentrate more in the center in Paris than in London. In Greater London, 38% of the jobs are concentrated in Inner London, but in the 1,572 km² of Paris 49% of the jobs are concentrated in the central 319 km². That's quite an interesting finding.

As a result, the 1,252 km² of Outer London, despite the image we have of endless rows of detached or terraced houses and sleepy communities, in fact contains more jobs than the 1,252 km² beyond the central 319 km² of Paris.

The 2nd surprising result is the fact that commuters to Inner London do not outnumber the local residents who work in Inner London. The majority of jobs in Inner London are held by local residents of Inner London. That's quite counter-intuitive! Inner London is thus not like Frankfurt or Brussels, where, as we'll see below, the in-commuters outnumber the local residents, and resembles more Paris with its high residential density and therefore less need for commuters from beyond.

On a side note, Inner London had 3,263,035 inhabitants on Jan. 1, 2012, whereas the 319 km² of Paris had 4,623,976 inhabitants. Inner London reached its peak in 1911 with 4,998,237 inhabitants, whereas the 319 km² of Paris reached their peak in 1962 with 4,837,872 inhabitants. That last figure surprised me a lot! Despite the image of Paris has a super dense city, Inner London actually managed to have more inhabitants historically than the 319 km² of Paris ever had, and this with the largest part of its territory covered with houses and not apartment buildings. I guess we often tend to forget that Haussmannian urbanism covers only a small part of the urban area of Paris, and is not representative of how the large majority of Parisians live.

Last but not least, there are more in-commuters to the 319 km² of Paris than to Inner London, which is explained by the more centrally concentrated nature of jobs in Paris, but is nonetheless impressive considering that there are much more residents in the 319 km² of Paris than in Inner London, so one could have assumed that there was less need for commuters coming from further areas. There are also more out-commuters from the 319 km² of Paris than from Inner London, but that's only to be expected given that there are more residents in the 319 km² of Paris than in Inner London.

And now to conclude this post, here is the number of jobs and commuters in various German cities + Brussels and Geneva compared to Paris and London.

Despite the reputation of Frankfurt as a big financial and economic center (airport, trade fair, etc), the number of jobs in Frankfurt is rather underwhelming I found, compared to the other cities. Brussels, on the other hand, is quite impressive, especially considering that the territory of Brussels Capital is smaller than that of the city of Frankfurt, and does not even include the Brussels Airport, whereas Frankfurt Airport is included in the city of Frankfurt. If Zaventem (which includes Brussels Airport) and several other Flemish communes such as Vilvoorde were included to reach the same land area as the city of Frankfurt, Brussels would be much more ahead of Frankfurt that it already is in the graph above. It's interesting, because Frankfurt metro area (the Rhine-Main metro area) is often assumed to be much larger than the Brussels metro area (4 million people vs 2.5 million, roughly), but the data above suggests otherwise...

What's impressive about Frankfurt, on the other hand, is the fact that the in-commuters greatly outnumber the local residents who work in Frankfurt. In Brussels, the commuters also outnumber the local residents, but not as much as in Frankfurt. Frankfurt, despite its big size (248 km² is as large as the entire Canton of Geneva, and larger than the municipal territory of any French city, including Marseille!), acts more as a central business district than as a normal city with its residential areas.

On the other hand, Berlin, Hamburg and Munich have much less in-commuters in comparison to their local residents employed within the city, but of course their municipal territories are larger than that of Frankfurt, so they include more residential suburbs that would lie outside of the Frankfurt limits.

Finally, despite all its recent economic successes, its population boom and its great wealth, Geneva still remains a minnow somehow, compared to the other cities here. Yet if the economic growth and population boom of Geneva continues at the same pace for 30 more years (its population has already been growing at more than +1% per year during each of the past 7 decades, with growth accelerating since 2000), Geneva has definitely the potential to become a major European economic center on par with Frankfurt. The French part of the Geneva metro area alone could enter the top 10 of French metro areas in the future, which is quite insane.

In a few days, part 3 will compare the Congestion Charge area of central London with the area of the same size in Paris. This is the level of comparison that I found the most fascinating (and most devilish to compute, down to searching each tiny London MSOA), but I'll say more in part 3.

alexandru.mircea, hseugut, djm160190 liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #9248
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Beautiful! La Defense needs this to balance the upcoming Hermitage towers

clouchicloucha liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #9249
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

New Paris Courthouse Now Rising Above the French Capital
Quote:
Several highrise development applications have since been submitted and approved by the city's planning department. Currently under construction on the northeastern edge of the city, the new Palais de Justice designed by Italian architecture firm Renzo Piano Building Workshop is making its way toward its final height of 38 floors and 160 metres above ground level. The tower's total surface of 120,000 squared metres makes it the largest building under construction in France at the moment, with more than 700 construction workers shaping one concrete floor every five days.

alexandru.mircea, Bazukstan74, Bren liked this post
tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #9250
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

Those towers+Hermitage will destroy LD skyline for a long time!
I hope they will abandon this urbanistic suicide.
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #9251
letranger

Likes (Received): 251

Why everything is on the right side if the axe historique???

Had read yesterday about Chirac plan to rebuild Tuileries palace)) Wouldn't that be so cool)) Berlin's doing that with Stadtschloss

Last edited by letranger; March 7th, 2016 at 10:14 PM.
letranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #9252
gdipasqu

Likes (Received): 249

find back a directmatin with infos about oxygen project in paris

clouchicloucha liked this post
gdipasqu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #9253
gdipasqu

Likes (Received): 249

and this ;-)

Demos-cratos liked this post
gdipasqu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #9254
Demos-cratos

Likes (Received): 354

@ kisssme do you know another projects about this tower near arena stadium ? is for 2017 ?

Quote:
new Jardin de l'arche tower proposal by Soler (225m)
next to the new arena
Demos-cratos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #9255
Meaculum

Likes (Received): 2

Wow... after a long time passive at this Forum I must say, that Paris not have the most Constructions but the best in the world. I like so much new projects here. I'm very excited how Paris will look like in a few years.

Wayden21, hseugut liked this post
Meaculum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #9256
Olympique Lyonnais

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaculum View Post
Wow... after a long time passive at this Forum I must say, that Paris not have the most Constructions but the best in the world. I like so much new projects here. I'm very excited how Paris will look like in a few years.
Agreed. It seems that there's much thinking about each building - location-wise and also the merging with the environment. When compared to London, Paris is the mature wise city that doesn't destroy its own logic and identity. Caution and thinking is crucial.

Meaculum, Wayden21, hseugut liked this post
Olympique Lyonnais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #9257
kisssme

Saint gobain tower yesterday

http://defense-92.fr/le-chantier-de-...r-saint-gobain
Old March 8th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #9258
kisssme

arena 92 yesterday

http://defense-92.fr/photos-du-chantier-larena-92
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #9259
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

1000 Trees and an Urban Village to Cover Part of Paris Ring Road

Quote:
Recently unveiled, the winning projects are set to materialize within the few next years, including Sou Fujimoto Architects and Manal Rachdi Oxo Architectes' project Mille Arbres, which literally translates to One Thousand Trees. Selected for the 6,450-square-metre Avenue de la Porte des Ternes site, the project will be located on both a parking lot and directly above the divisive Boulevard Périphérique ring road where it separates western Paris' XVIIth arrondissement and the chic Neuilly-Sur-Seine suburb from the immediately adjacent convention centre.

clouchicloucha, erbse liked this post
tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #9260
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisavoine
On a side note, Inner London had 3,263,035 inhabitants on Jan. 1, 2012, whereas the 319 km² of Paris had 4,623,976 inhabitants. Inner London reached its peak in 1911 with 4,998,237 inhabitants, whereas the 319 km² of Paris reached their peak in 1962 with 4,837,872 inhabitants. That last figure surprised me a lot! Despite the image of Paris has a super dense city, Inner London actually managed to have more inhabitants historically than the 319 km² of Paris ever had, and this with the largest part of its territory covered with houses and not apartment buildings. I guess we often tend to forget that Haussmannian urbanism covers only a small part of the urban area of Paris, and is not representative of how the large majority of Parisians live..
Why is it surprising? When you have ten people living in one room the population density is going to be extremely high. It's got nothing to do with Haussmann.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects