daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #1061
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Yeah, awesome!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1062
desiderio_100578

Likes (Received): 0

C1 boulogne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
it will open in september...
September...2007?
fabulous project by the way,I really like it...
desiderio_100578 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1063
Chrispic

Likes (Received): 513

I think he was talking about Citroën showroom on Champs Elysee.

Thanks guys for all these news
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1064
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

New rendering of Microsoft headquarters in Paris (Issy-les-Moulineaux), as seen from the Périphérique motorway/freeway. These are the regional headquarters of Microsoft for Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

This one is the other rendering we've already seen:
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #1065
JP

Likes (Received): 14

@Desiderio

Yes, it was concerning Citroen showroom... So much delay for this building...
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1066
brisavoine
BANNED

Yesterday Charles de Gaulle International Airport quietly opened a brand new terminal (its 9th terminal) without the fuss and hype Madrid Barajas or London Heathrow display for their new terminals. This terminal (the S3 terminal) will have a capacity of 8.5 million passengers per year and a plane capacity of 20 plane stations (6 of which sized for the A380).

On that occasion, Nicolas Sarkozy, the new French president, made a very important speech concerning not just CDG airport but also the future of the Greater Paris metropolitan area. The basic message is: the French state is back managing Greater Paris. Nicolas Sarkozy looks set to launch the largest development project for Paris since the 1960s. Here are some of the key points of his speech:

- Greater Paris cannot continue managing things with short-term vision. We need a long term vision same as in the 1960s when the RER express subway, CDG Airport, the Périphérique freeway/motorway and the villes nouvelles ("new towns) were built under the leadership of de Gaulle.

- the time when French provincial cities (Lyon, Toulouse, etc.) had preferential treatment and Paris development was contained is over. Greater Paris is the most economically powerful region of Europe (says he) and the French government must help it develop further. He said "I would consider it shameful if the Paris metropolis allowed itself to fall behind Shanghai, London, or Dubai."

- Greater Paris must build the tallest towers in Europe

- Greater Paris must attract the best researchers in the world

- Greater Paris must be a number one financial center. Here he said: "Look, it's quite curious that the great financial center of Europe is London, where they don't have the euro. I mean it's really odd! We did the euro in order to be at the center of financial and monetary life, not to be excluded."

- the communes (local councils) must stop acting selfishly without considering the general interest of a "metropolis of 11 million people". He hinted that he's in favor of creating an administrative Greater Paris which will unify the City of Paris and the suburban communes.

- the suburbs must be turned into a real part of the city, with avenues and squares as in central Paris. A new ambitious housing policy needs to be launched. It is not acceptable that some suburbs are isolated and become ghettoes.

- ambitious transport infrastructures must be created. The Métrophérique express subway line around central Paris must be built (so far the regional council said it was too expensive). The CDG Express between CDG airport and central Paris must be built (the regional council was opposed).

- a big reform of the Paris universities much be launched. It is not acceptable that the medieval Sorbonne University (long disappeared) is more famous than the current great research centers and scientific universities located on the plateau de Saclay in the south of the Paris metropolitan area. The plateau de Saclay must be developed and turned into a real campus with worldwide fame.

- the 2025 development plan for Greater Paris issued by the regional council will be scrapped. It is too timid, not ambitious enough. Starting in the Autumn/Fall 2007, the French government will design a new more ambitious development plan for Greater Paris which will be approved in the end of 2008

This speech is the most important concerning Paris pronounced at this high level since the 1960s. I still need time to absorb all that I've heard. For those who understand French, you can hear the whole speech here: http://www.elysee.fr/elysee/elysee.f...lle.78946.html
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #1067
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
- Greater Paris must build the tallest towers in Europe
Is Nicolas aware that a 612m tower is being built in Europe? If so, then good for Paris!

He needs to keep in mind though, building tall for the sake of it can ruin a skyline. They have to be of the highest quality. Just building towers for height, and '***** waving' like Dubai, won't work in Europe.

Be very cautious if people are building towers simply for height, it can work sometimes, but it can also destroy the aesthetics of a city if the design quality is not taken into account.
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #1068
brisavoine
BANNED

I think for him Europe means the European Union. Probably Moscow is not part of Europe in his mind. Many people in France see Moscow more as an Asian city than as a true European city.
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #1069
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Ah, OK Brisavoine, thanks for clearing that up. TBH I think the only person who does see Moscow as being in Europe is Coth lol (joke).

Well if thats the case, Paris will already have that with Generali and Signal. Generali, as you know, is not MY personal favourite lol, but it should actually be able to provide a pinnacle to the La Defense skyline, and should conform to an extent with the rest of the buildings. I suppose it could have turned alot worse than what you're actually getting!
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #1070
Minato ku

Who said that skyscrapers in Paris can be only in La Defense ?
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #1071
GM
Vivre haut

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Many people in France see Moscow more as an Asian city than as a true European city.
First time I hear that.
Sometimes Russia is not really viewed as a true European country, because of its size, of its specifities, but I've never heard anyone saying it was "asian".
Most of the times Russia is just viewed as... "Russian" ! Which is something like "far far east european".

Well Moscow (and Russia), in my mind, and in the mind of most French (I think) will always be more European than Asian.
GM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1072
brisavoine
BANNED

The reference to Moscow as an Asian city is quite frequent in France GM, and it's nothing new. Check for instance what Napoleon said about Moscow just before conquering it: "Moscou, la capitale asiatique de ce grand empire, la ville sacrée des peuples d'Alexandre, Moscou avec ses innombrables églises en forme de pagodes chinoises." This sentence is reported (in French) by Leon Tolstoi in Chapter VII of his famous novel War & Peace. Check here: http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au...hapter197.html Click on the link and there's a translation of that French sentence for those who don't understand French.
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1073
arcade18
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I have an issue !
Russia is in Eurasia ! Paris will get the taller skyscrapper of europe and moscow the taller (or second taller ) of Eurasia !

But what else ?
arcade18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #1074
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Well, Moscow is officially in Europe, and French people in general don't dispute that. The thing is simply that most people unconsciouscly consider Europe to be mostly that weird peninsula North of africa, and hence forget that actually half of Europe's land area is actually located in Russia.

Anyway, to get back on topic. I do believe that Sarkozy was implying the European Union when he talked about "the tallest towers in Europe".
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1075
desiderio_100578

Likes (Received): 0

I'm really amazed Brisavoine hinted that french people consider Moscow to be in Asia ...
Concerning Sarkozy I think he just did not know that a 600m tower was going to be built in Moscow so he pictured a 400 something meters would do the trick...
He does not log on skyscrapercity often enough
desiderio_100578 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1076
rocky

Likes (Received): 5

I am Nicolas Sarkozy
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1077
Minato ku

What ?

I agree for french people Moscow is and isn't in Europe.
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #1078
JP

Likes (Received): 14

When Nick' knows more about this highest european building in Moscow, then he could share his discovery with Ken, Gord' and Tony...
JP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #1079
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Moscow's in Asia? That's news to me.
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #1080
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3991

How perfectly ridiculous. French are ready to throw Moscow out of Europe just for the sake of finishing the "who get a taller stick" marathon in the first place? Niice.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects