daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2008, 03:48 PM   #1781
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

The controversy surrounding Jean Nouvel's Signal Tower has made it to Le Monde, the very serious newspaper. Apparently the jury which selected Jean Nouvel's tower was very divided. The mayor of Puteaux, where the tower is due to be located, voted against it, and she is now very vocal in her opposition to Jean Nouvel's tower.

The article here: http://www.lemonde.fr/culture/articl...ens_id=1050049
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1782
snot

Likes (Received): 2362

It's sad that such an important district as LA Defense is located on three tiny municipalities, like small 'baronies'.
Those baronies go back in the middle ages and are bad for the modern developpement of Greater Paris.
Same in Brussels, where the core-city is cut in 19 small municipalities.
snot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #1783
brisavoine
BANNED

In Le Figaro we learn more about the controversy. A meeting will take place between Jean Nouvel and the mayor of Puteaux on June 9. I'm translating the article.

Quote:
Jean Nouvel's tower triggers controversy

Le Figaro
May 30, 2008

Jean Nouvel, on Tuesday, after it was announced his project had won the competition

The mayor of Puteaux, opposed to the project in its current state, will meet the architect on June 9.

No sooner the laureate is known, Jean Nouvel already triggers controversy. Winner of the competition launched by La Défense Authority (EPAD) for the Signal Tower, the architect's project meets with the disapproval of Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud, member of the jury and mayor of Puteaux, the municipality where the building will be erected.

"As it stands now, this is not a beautiful project", Ms Ceccaldi-Raynaud told Le Figaro. The elected official, who does not hide her preference for US architect Daniel Libeskind's project, one of the five finalists in the competition, has squarely asked Jean Nouvel to go back to the drawing board. She sees in his tower a "heavy" and "grey" building, designed as a "dungeon". "On the side of Puteaux and Coubevoie we have a wall!", she adds. In her crusade, she relies on the support of "hundreds" of emails from residents of her municipality. Her opponents just see in her position a "publicity stunt".

Jean Nouvel, good sport, has accepted to meet Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud on June 9. "I'm sure we'll find common ground", says she, before pleading for a "more open and novel architecture". Among other things, she'll propose that the architect reconsiders the steel chosen for the façade above the glass structure. She'll suggest he rethinks the base of the tower and he enlarges the entrances. Finally, she'll check with the architect the location and the number of car parks and green spaces, as well as the link with the Quatre Temps shopping mall. "I will change the zoning regulations in my municipality, but not at any price", warns the mayor. Without a change in the zoning regulations, which has to be decided by the Puteaux municipal council, the tower cannot be built.
http://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/2008/...-polemique.php
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1784
JBCousin

Likes (Received): 4

Brisavoine, to answer at your request, I drew two diagrams of Signal Tower yesterday evening. They're awaiting approval on SSP.

JBCousin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1785
brisavoine
BANNED

Super, mais il faudrait aussi faire les autres tours que j'ai mises en gras. Personnellement je n'ai pas les compétences.
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1786
brisavoine
BANNED

I don't know if people have noticed it, but this music video clip was actually filmed at La Défense (at first I thought it was some American CBD):

Old June 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1787
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCousin View Post
Brisavoine, to answer at your request, I drew two diagrams of Signal Tower yesterday evening. They're awaiting approval on SSP.
Your drawing was approved on SSP. Congrats!

We're still missing the towers that I've highlighted in the list above.

Old June 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1788
brisavoine
BANNED

Interview of Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud, mayor of Puteaux, in the JDD today. I'm translating the interview.

Ms Ceccaldi-Raynaud has been mocked a lot by French forumers in the past 48 hours, sometimes insulted, but I think she raises interesting points in her interview.
Quote:
Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud: "The Nouvel tower is ugly"

JDD
June 1, 2008

What are you blaming Jean Nouvel's Signal Tower for?

This tower is ugly and bulky. A monolith that overwhelms everything. He himself said he designed it as "a dungeon at La Défense". I am not happy to host a besieged fortress on the territory of Puteaux. The requirements were for an open and lively tower bringing dynamism to the area. Instead of that, we have a return to the Middle Ages. What is being offered to the residents of Puteaux? The sight of a grey and cold 300-meter high wall, covered with a metallic lattice. And I'm not the only one who thinks that way, except that I, I have the guts to say it. I receive very many letters, emails, and phone calls encouraging me. What's more, before the result of the competition, internet users were invited to give their views on the website of La Défense Authority (EPAD): well, Mr. Nouvel's project got only 5% of the votes. It was at the bottom of the list, by far.

According to you, why did he win the competition?

Because he has just received the Pritzker Prize (architecture Nobel Prize). It must have impressed some people. There was a debate among the jury. But people in architecture circles had already made their choice before hearing the architects [explaining their projects in front of the jury]. The members of the jury do not live in Puteaux. Personally, I would have preferred Daniel Libeskind or Norman Foster's towers.

You fear that Jean Nouvel will become "a new Le Corbusier". What do you mean by that?

Have you seen Le Corbusier's buildings? They are ugly, they don't age well! Mr Nouvel's tower is a pile of boxes. A vertical replica of the Arche de La Défense. There is no architectural ambition. Moreover, I have no clue where the car parks and the green spaces are located. From what I can see, nothing has been planned. The base of the tower was absolutely not thought out. There are many shadowy areas in this story.

It seems you also regret that this Signal Tower does not provide social housing...

I do not regret it: in Puteaux, more than 30% of housing is social housing, so I don't need more social housing [under French law]. All I'm noticing is no social mixing was contemplated [it was the same with the five finalists, notes the JDD]. And I really wonder who will be able to buy the grand luxury apartments located 200 meters above the street which will no doubt cost a lot of money.

"I am not going to sell my municipality on the cheap"

Do you have the power to oppose Jean Nouvel's project?

In order for this tower to be built, I need to modify zoning regulations. In the current circumstances, I am not willing to do so. And if I do it, it won't be at any price. I am not going to sell my municipality on the cheap.

What do you propose?

Mr. Nouvel has accepted an audience with me, on June 9. I want him to go back to the drawing board. I will suggest he modifies the general aspect of his tower, so that it is more pleasing to the eye. It can surely be improved, making it look less like the Montparnasse Tower, making it more human, lighter, more transparent. But will he accept to change his oeuvre?
http://www.lejdd.fr/cmc/paris/200822...de_121776.html

Last edited by brisavoine; June 1st, 2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM   #1789
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

and here with the serious option Hermitage/Ferrier
[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding Farnese ? how dense Liverpool and rotterdam gonna be compare to this picture in ten years from now ? not to mention those supertalls in this pic , gather your senses back my dear
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1790
Farnese
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyboi View Post
and here with the serious option Hermitage/Ferrier

Are you kidding Farnese ? how dense Liverpool and rotterdam gonna be compare to this picture in ten years from now ? not to mention those supertalls in this pic , gather your senses back my dear
that was sarcasm regarding another thread where Liverpool got almost as much votes as Paris for best skyline in the EU
Farnese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1791
ParisianStyle

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Your drawing was approved on SSP. Congrats!

We're still missing the towers that I've highlighted in the list above.

Signal looks very strange and inapropriate between Eiffeil Tower, Generali, Phare and Air²... so disppointed

Last edited by ParisianStyle; June 3rd, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
ParisianStyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1792
brisavoine
BANNED

The telenovela continues... I had no sooner finished translating Ms Ceccaldi-Raynaud's interview that Jean Nouvel's response appeared in the JDD. In French we call this "the reply of the shepherd to the shepherdess".

In Jean Nouvel's interview we learn new details about his Signal Tower, in particular exact dimensions that I am putting in red. We also learn more about the concept, the loggias in particular, which seem fantastic, but as great as the concept may be, I'm still not convinced by the overall shape of the tower. The boxy shape is what people will see first, before the sophisticated "iridescent" walls of the loggias and the gardens hanging 250 meters above street level.

Jean Nouvel can be jargonistic at times, so my translation is unfortunately a bit jargonistic too.

Quote:
Jean Nouvel responds to the controversy

JDD
June 1, 2008

No sooner selected, your tower is already a subject of controversy: Joëlle Ceccaldi-Raynaud speaks of a "besieged fortress", a "return to the Middle Ages"...

I think all of this comes from some misunderstanding, due to the conditions in which the project was presented. The models that she saw were not very well lighted. Furthermore, I've said that in an urban symbolism this standard-bearer tower could be read as a "belfry" or a "dungeon", because it must be seen from far, it must play a centrality role at La Défense. The way I said it, the "dungeon" was not a military metaphor. One has never seen dungeons with 50-meter high and 35-meter large loggias. Ms Ceccaldi-Raynaud asks me to go back to the drawing board. My drawings are not definitely completed. I'm going to explain to her in what way our project is optimistic and humanistic, in terms of light and openness. The contrary of opacity.

She fears, in her words, that you become "a new Le Corbusier"...

(laughs) That would be an honor: I think Le Corbusier was a plastician of genius. At the same time, I am not an heir, I do not share his concepts of the city. What's more, I was often considered sacrilegious with the ideas of the master. Maybe Ms Ceccaldi-Raynaud wishes to say that she's afraid of architecture expressing itself in a modern way. Yet the world is changing, and architecture needs to change with the world. It is out of question to do a pastiche of existing buildings. We must innovate.

She threatens not to submit a change in zoning regulations to her municipal council for vote. Can she block the project?

I do not wish to comment further on her stance. I'm going to talk about it with her in the coming days, to try and understand her misgivings. Architecture is also the art to integrate constraints. If I can take into account some of her concerns, I will do it. The tower must be completed in 2013 or 2014.

"It will be a small city inside the city"

Can you describe your Signal Tower?

It is 301-meter high, on a 65-meter by 52-meter footprint. It's not a simple parallelepiped, despite its basic form. It distinguishes itself by its exceptional scale*, but also by the fact that it is possible to read inside the tower, because it opens widely to the outside. The hustle and bustle, the liveliness, which normally manifest themselves at the street level, exist at different levels here. Normally, a tower is a bit like a cold and monofunctional monster, characterized by curtain walls and by the same frame repeated over the entire building. This mixed-use tower is made up of four equal modules, clearly identified. Each has a specific destination: luxury housing on top, a big hotel in the middle, offices below, and stores and shops on the ground level, all organized as a small city inside the city [this mixed use is a first in France, notes the JDD]. If people wanted to, we could even add a fifth module raising the tower's height to 370 meters...

How does it open to the outside?

Through immense colored loggias, inspired from the vast terraces - painted by great artists - that were found in Italian public buildings before, in Siena for example. Here, each cube is partly hollowed in order to create a large glazed opening, about 50-meter high by about 30-meter wide. The stacked loggias are some sort of urban plazas that can be read from the outside, like giant screens. In a traditional tower, one enters a lobby, takes an elevator, arrives in a small corridor... Everything is confined. Here, these atriums form shared spaces, living places. It's a new type of tower. We eschew the usual claustrophobia.

"Solar panels on the roof and wind turbines on the last two floors.

How will these loggias look?

To each loggia its color and its function. Dwellings, on top of the tower, are arranged around a terraced garden, 250 meters above street level, with trees, surrounded by reflecting green-colored walls, as an amplification of the vegetation. A peaceful place of rest. The great atrium of the hotel - 180 meters above street level, facing the historical axis, with a view over central Paris - is red, the color of pomp, of theatres. Here will be found some hanging bars, some restaurants, some lounges, some business centers... As for the offices, they are provided with an inner plaza (with cafeterias) marked by bluish iridescent walls. A place for coffee breaks, a place to have a drink, to meet people, to speak. Moreover, each loggia is decorated with fractals. These are poetic images, expressive and varied, corresponding to a new geometry invented by the mathematician Benoît Mandelbrot.

What is the role played by light?

The tower is made of stainless steel, light grey, a bit like the zinc of the roofs in central Paris. All the beams forming the frame are partly - on their inner sides - covered by gilded mirrors. This system allows to reflect what's going on inside when standing outside, and what's going on outside when standing inside. And the slightest ray of sunshine sends a warm light inside.

In what way is your tower "exemplary" on an environmental level?

We meet requirements that have never been asked in France. The tower must emit less CO2 than a normal construction. The atriums are of great interest in that respect, because they are glazed, they open themselves when the weather is good, in order to ventilate the tower, and they are closed during the winter, in order to capture heat. Furthermore, natural light penetrates abundantly, which allows to save 50% of artificial light. We plan to use all the available techniques, such as geothermal power, solar panels on the roof, or wind turbines on the last two floors.

*72 floors, 140,000 m² of floor space, 50,000 m² of which offices, 33,000 m² dwellings, 39,000 m² hotel (333 rooms), 10,000 m² stores and shops. Construction cost for the building alone: 600 million euros.
http://www.lejdd.fr/cmc/paris/200822...ue_121762.html

Last edited by brisavoine; June 2nd, 2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1793
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 121

La Défense by 2015

(JP)
Alvar Lavague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM   #1794
brisavoine
BANNED

Other renders by JP:

Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM   #1795
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

I wonder how much of this actually gets built.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #1796
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Trois des cinq finalistes, Jacques Ferrier, Jean-Michel Wilmotte et Norman Foster, comptent maintenir leurs projets. « Dans la mesure où le site est libre, où mon projet plaît à mes financiers, je ne vois pas pourquoi il ne se ferait pas », lance Jean-Michel Wilmotte, associé à Bouygues.
http://www.20minutes.fr/article/2347...our-Signal.php

According to this article, Willmotte's and Foster's towers could be constructed.

Last edited by Alvar Lavague; June 4th, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Alvar Lavague no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1797
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Everyone wants to build his tower in LD.
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #1798
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu View Post
Everyone wants to build his tower in LD.
Yeah, so let's recap the tallest projects we have now.

Officially selected projects:

Valode & Pistre's Generali Tower (318m/1,043ft):

image hosted on flickr

Jean Nouvel's Signal Tower (301m/988ft):

Thom Mayne's Phare Tower (300m/984ft):

Project likely to be built:

Jacques Ferrier's Hermitage Towers (309m/1,014ft & 264m/866ft):

Towers that could be built too, hints in the press:

Norman Foster's tower (297m/974ft):

Jean-Michel Wilmotte's tower (284m/932ft):

Old June 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #1799
Minato ku

I wait for more information about the last two projects for create new threads.
Especially for Foster's tower that we don't even know the name.

I don't remember the name of Willmotte's tower.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1800
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I wait for more information about the last two projects for create new threads.
Especially for Foster's tower that we don't even know the name.

I don't remember the name of Willmotte's tower.
I agree, for now they're mostly rumors.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects