daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #1941
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Much much better than the previous Ferrier's towers! And finally something boldly above the 300 meters ceiling. The tallest skyscrapers in the European Union in fact.

PS: In the render of La Défense above the Foster's twin towers look the same height as Generali Tower and Jean Nouvel's Signal Tower, but in fact they are significantly taller than Generali and Signal because they will be built at the bottom of La Défense hill whereas Generali and Signal are built more uphill, so they appear as if they have the same height even thought the Foster's twin towers are in reality significantly taller than them.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1942
Beholder

Likes (Received): 838

Thanks for sharing!

That's some extra information I expect to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
If you quote a message, at least try to quote it fairly instead of just extracting a paragraph out of context. I posted a message about the new population figures for Greater Paris which were published in the beginning of the year, then I gave population figures for other European metropolitan areas (namely the two largest in western Europe besides Paris, i.e. London and Madrid) for an idea of what the Paris population growth figures meant, because a figure in itself means nothing if it's not put in context.
Yes, though by putting these figures into their context, you did compare Paris with London (and Madrid). And why do we need to read these figures in this specific thread? I think the title is loud and clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densaga View Post
Wether Ferrier would win or not for Signal , this tower will be built.
For now, I haven't decided yet which one I prefer.
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #1943
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

STUNNING FOR PARIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or will it be a vision???
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1944
Meaculum

Likes (Received):

Please, please, please bring back the Ferrier Towers for Hermitage. There are so great and Foster ist so boring. It's not a good decision fpr the Paris Skyline
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1945
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder View Post
And why do we need to read these figures in this specific thread?
Because they give context. If we only list a series of projects and people say I like/I dislike, it's rather limited. I find it more interesting to also ask questions such as 'why?' and 'for what purpose?'. The demographic context is of course quite important to explain these new projects. If Greater Paris experienced population decline or stagnation, there would probably not be so many projects going on. I found it particularly enlightening to post these population figures given that when I opened this thread 3 years ago some people immediately jumped on me saying inaccurate things such as "but Paris is declining, so how can they need all these new skyscrapers?". It's good to debunk some myths from time to time.
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1946
RiffRaff
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Because they give context. If we only list a series of projects and people say I like/I dislike, it's rather limited. I find it more interesting to also ask questions such as 'why?' and 'for what purpose?'. The demographic context is of course quite important to explain these new projects. If Greater Paris experienced population decline or stagnation, there would probably not be so many projects going on. I found it particularly enlightening to post these population figures given that when I opened this thread 3 years ago some people immediately jumped on me saying inaccurate things such as "but Paris is declining, so how can they need all these new skyscrapers?". It's good to debunk some myths from time to time.

Quote:
But Paris's secret shame has always been the horror lurking behind its peripherique ring road - the moat that protects the city's 2 million people from at least 6 million others who live outside in high-rise, ethnic ghettoes or suburban sprawl, choked by dismal public transport and shabby green space.

Now Nicolas Sarkozy wants to answer the critics who call him a cultural philistine by plunging into his new love for architecture and creating a Greater Paris that would be world's most environmentally friendly and boldly designed metropolis.

When the president invited 10 of the world's most renowned architects to the Elysée last year and lauded architecture as art that the citizen "does not need a ticket for", Paris sat waiting for him to announce his own grand building project, along the lines of François Mitterrand's glass pyramid in the Louvre.

Today as architects including London-based Richard Rogers, as well as French prizewinners Jean Nouvel and Christian de Portzamparc, present their various strategies for Grand Paris, it is clear that the president is aiming higher than Mitterrand's isolated architectural gems.

He wants to style himself as patron of the most ambitious urban overhaul since Baron Haussmann dramatically changed the face of Paris in the mid-19th century when he carved out wide boulevards and the Champs Elysée.

But the Greater Paris project to reunite Paris's centre with its neglected outskirts is steeped in controversy as local and national politicians fight over its boundaries, budget, population and new identity before the architectural debate has begun.

In an exclusive preview of their strategy, Richard Rogers's group told the Guardian yesterday that the biggest challenge was Paris's "enormous disparity" and the "staggering psychological barrier" between the core of the city and the world beyond the ring-road.

"I don't know any other big city where the heart is so detached from its arm and legs," Rogers said at the start of the project.

His team of architects, who have worked with the London School of Economics and French sociologists, will today propose a bold plan to unite Paris's disparate communities, beginning by covering over the railway lines that "carve up" the city and creating a vast network of lush parks above the tracks.

Mike Davies, director of the project, said: "The train lines going into Gare du Nord and Gare de l'Est are currently canyons of void." He proposed creating "a continuous green space, a green network" miles long that would link the centre of Paris to its deprived north-eastern outskirts. Underneath it, a separate, hidden layer would contain the mechanics of renewable technologies aimed at launching Paris into a low carbon future.

The Rogers proposals also call for state intervention to completely overhaul areas such as Clichy-sous-Bois, which exploded in urban riots in 2005. Davies described the high-rises as "separate blocks in space", plonked down in isolation with no identity, city fabric, or village life around them.

"The great unwritten and unsaid is that residents tend to be similar ethnic origin. It's not a mixed system," he said. "Monoculture is one of Paris's biggest problems."

The plans seek to bring in new, mixed populations to the poor high-rises and the business district La Defence, extend high-speed train lines, create a new metropolitan transport system and cut the myriad layers of local government.

Rogers, who changed the face of Paris in the 1970s when he co-designed the Pompidou centre, will present one of 10 competing strategies that go on show to the public next month. But the question remains whether Sarkozy will act on the various proposals and launch Paris's biggest overhaul in centuries. "It has to be at the highest level of modern design," Davies said. "Ordinariness won't draw people there."

Other ideas to be unveiled today include the architect Roland Castro's plan to build a New York-style central park on Paris's infamous drab housing projects of La Courneuve, and Christian de Portzamparc's concept for a high-speed elevated train that would run along the ring road.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...e-architecture
RiffRaff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1947
brisavoine
BANNED

Something few people have noticed so far is the fact that although the Hermitage Towers will be 1 meter short of the Eiffel Tower (in order to avoid public controversies I suppose), their last floors will be much higher than the last floor of the Eiffel Tower. The Eiffel Tower is 1 meter taller than the Hermitage Towers overall only thanks to its antenna. Its last floor (the uppermost part of the Eiffel Tower you can reach as a tourist) is "only" 276 m/906 ft above street level, whereas the last floors of the Hermitage Towers should be about 320 m / 1,050 ft above street level judging from the renderings.

In fact the Hermitage Towers will have the tallest habitable floors in the European Union by far. Their last floors are about as high as the last floors of the Empire State Building. Below I made a graph showing the Hermitage Towers and other famous skyscrapers in Europe and the rest of the world for comparisons. If they end up being built, the Hermitage Tower will truly look like two enormous skyscrapers on the banks of the Seine, more voluminous and towering than the Eiffel Tower. I think at this point it's still hard for many people to realize how massive they will look. The graph below gives an idea of what to expect.

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #1948
brisavoine
BANNED

The Hermitage Towers compared to Paris's current tallest skyscraper, the Montparnasse Tower. No comment!

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #1949
Erolisk
Dust to Dust

Beau projet,c'est prevu pour quand?
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1950
Alvar Lavague
European citizen

Likes (Received): 121

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1951
Beholder

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
Because they give context. If we only list a series of projects and people say I like/I dislike, it's rather limited.
Now, I believe there are no rules that specify what to put in a thread and what not, so nothing can be really right or wrong! But the way I see it is that the "Projects an Construction" threads are here to inform sec (more like a databse) about all the great new plans around the world. It's a bonus we can give our opinions about them.

Quote:
I find it more interesting to also ask questions such as 'why?' and 'for what purpose?'.
I couldn't agree more! Still, wouldn't this be a nicer section to talk about 'how' and 'why'?

Quote:
The demographic context is of course quite important to explain these new projects. If Greater Paris experienced population decline or stagnation, there would probably not be so many projects going on. I found it particularly enlightening to post these population figures given that when I opened this thread 3 years ago some people immediately jumped on me saying inaccurate things such as "but Paris is declining, so how can they need all these new skyscrapers?".
Indeed it can be good to educate people occaisionally.

Quote:
It's good to debunk some myths from time to time.
Certainly! Though I'm not convinced this is the exact right place... that's all!
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #1952
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

i can imagine the gorgeous view over paris from the top of the tower
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #1953
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristof View Post
i can imagine the gorgeous view over paris from the top of the tower
Indeed!

Old March 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1954
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I'll admit, it does make the La Defense skyline look a quite unbalanced. But the cluster can build around it in future, growning around the new towers and making it look balanced again, with more density and height. It won't look like that render forever, so it shouldn't really be a problem now.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1955
Erolisk
Dust to Dust

Quote:
They're watching Melissa Theuriau
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1956
espanoldz
ⴻⵙⵒⴰⵏⵓⵍⴷⵣ

Likes (Received): 3586

yes.......very beautifull women
espanoldz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #1957
cristof

Likes (Received): 69

who isnt any more on LCI
cristof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1958
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

now they have to increase the height of tour generali to save the look of the future skyline. make it 418m instead of 318m ;-) it always looks dull when buildings with spires are lower than flat-roof-buildings...
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #1959
brisavoine
BANNED

Wilmotte's project for the two towers at Issy Bridge (180m and 160m apparently):

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #1960
Minato ku

As I know it is not the project sectionned for Issy bridge towers.

Tags
construction, la défense, les halles, paris, paris skyscrapers, philharmonie, projects