daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM   #181
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

By the way, I am basing the identity of "Zamzam tower" within the complex on an explanation that Riyadhi said sometime last year:

Quote:
Here are some pictures and information to help understand the schem of the project,

The project is called ''Abraj Al-Bait" and it consists of 7 towers,
1- Hotel Tower 485 m (2008)
2- Hajar 260 m (2007)
3- ZamZam 260 m (2006)
4- Qiblah 240 m (2008)
5- Sarah 240 m (2008)
6- Marwah 240 m (2006)
7- Safa 240 m (2007)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9...rajplan0tp.jpg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/388...numcopy8kr.jpg

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/9630/photonum4uy.jpg
I am interested: where did you aquire this detailed information?
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:08 AM   #182
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

[QUOTE=Riyadhi]Hey everybody, this is the NOT a re-design. It is actually the OLD design of Abraj Al Bait.

I hope you are right Riyadhi. The decapitated version does look very much like the Venetian in Las Vegas minus the slot machines and show girls, of course.

Help me understand this building. Muslims (generally) are much more devout than Christians, but if you put something like that next to the Vatican -- something so close and big you could see it in the post cards -- I think the builder and city planner might be threatened with excommunication. Abraj Al-Bait lends a Disneyland quality to the Holy Ka'aba and turns the Haj into a spectator sport. Imagine the adverstisements:Come view the Holiest Place on Earth from the comfort of your air conditioned suite. Order room service while you watch the pilgrims complete their tawafs. Why is this commercialization of something so sacred not sacrilege?
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:09 AM   #183
delores

Likes (Received): 467

well exactly it would of looked far better as a low rise building that actually did not try to take away the dignity and importance of this holy place. I am not a muslim but If I were I would not be happy about this building going up overlooking what was is to some the most important place on earth.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:53 PM   #184
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 228

I agree, it seems quite outrageous really. I'm used to English Heritage doing anything it can to protect views and sightlines of old London landmarks, but this turns that on it's head. It's a nice building still though, just very close.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM   #185
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

i was a big fan of the old designs and old colors and glass. this is a big disapointment
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM   #186
nano2192
De Lomas de Zamora

Likes (Received): 1

Good design!!
Argentina en google earth
ROJO, REY DE COPAS POR SIEMPRE
nano2192 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM   #187
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper
Imagine the adverstisements:Come view the Holiest Place on Earth from the comfort of your air conditioned suite. Order room service while you watch the pilgrims complete their tawafs. Why is this commercialization of something so sacred not sacrilege?
ROFL, you hit the nail on the head :P
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:13 AM   #188
gohorns

It's amusing how all the non-muslims are crying foul over the construction of this project like it is sacriligious to them....well to all the non-muslims....i'm sorry..

i'm sorry for realizing we need to best use the space around the Kaba'a. I'm sorry for the fact that we are making it possible for people coming from thousands of miles away stay in proper accomodations instead of age-old houses that were at a risk of collapsing, had poor sanitation, etc etc. I'm sorry that you have to envy these developments....and I'm sorry we aren't the relics you would like us to be...

so...in conclusion....if you have not lived in Makkah or been there, you have no idea how badly these buildings are needed in Makkah....so I, for one, am really glad these buildings are getting built...and I would like to see more of these in the future. If these buildings can replace the buildings that are currently there....the ones in really bad shape....then these projects aren't against Islam....they'll be blessed by God....seriously.....sorry if I came off a bit religious there...

Oh...what's the deal with these other renderings...like honestly? i really hope they haven't changed the designs and riyadhi is right.....can we please confirm that the designs we all like will be the one that gets built? please?
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:39 AM   #189
delores

Likes (Received): 467

I am coming from a design perspective here not a religious one. I'm not disrespecting your country or how you would like to be percieved as a nation. I'm just concerned that there has not been enough thought about the development and its proximity next to this national monument. Oh and ' im sorry' what have you to be sorry about?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM   #190
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

I am a Muslim and I agree with the points by the other forumers... These towers are WAY TO BIG... They completely overshadow the Kabba, and on top of that, they are quite ugly.. Look like over ambitious Commuinst era buildings. Just shows the lack of imagination on the part of planners. With all the money the Saudis have, and all the creativity that abounds in the Muslim world, its sad that this is the best anyone could come up with. Just another example of Saudi govt taking decision for everyone, and not taking the concerns and views of other people. They have no problem knocking down historical and cultural landmarks, but they built this monstrosity before anyone even knew it was being built.
NewYork-wala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM   #191
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 491

With regard to comment by Jamandell -
English Heritage works to preserve age old sightlines.
I think a lot of the forumers here don't realize the mosque itself is quite new for the most part. The bulk of the structure dates from around the 1980s. The inner core is from the Ottoman period as far as my memory serves me. There is no building here dating from the time of the Prophet - the Kabah itself has been rebuilt several times. And, there is nothing sacreligeous about building a hotel to house pilgrims. I do agree though that the design while impressive is also garish and distracts from the mosque.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #192
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

Pic's by khalelooo

Latest Pic's of Abraj Albait , yet underconstruction. (pictures taken Summer 2006)

Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:46 AM   #193
Humberto123
Humberto123

Location: Caracas / Boston / Santiago de Chile / Sao Paulo / Lima
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpia
I do NOT oppose Mecca getting a skyline (and a sweet skyline at that) but they should've created a specific hi-rise district in another part of the city: better planning was needed for this. The area around the Mosque should remain clear for future expansion (Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world) It would be so easy for the Saudi govt to install subways/LRT's to serve the pilgrims and locals instead of building these hi-rise hotels right next to the Kaaba to be "close at hand". Hajj and Umrah are meant to be hard wearing, exhaustive, and ultimately, life-changing experiences. That's the point of pilgrims exclaiming "Labaik, Allahumma, Labaik!" ("Here I am, oh God! Here i am!") in joy when they finally see the Kaaba. Coming from the cool confines of a nice hotel and then just stepping in the front door of the mosque and saying that sorta takes the biscuit.

In short the Abraj sure are nice, BUT are wayy too near al-Masjid-al-Haram imho. I (and millions of Muslims around the world who don't have the luxury of having the Qibla of Qiblas (the Kaaba) in their backyards) would've prefered the area around this Holy site to be somewhat "preserved" if not left clear for future expansion of the Mosque without the issue of possible cramming; the density in Mecca is thick enough, as u can see from Google Earth.

Great point!
Humberto123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:27 AM   #194
pencakar langit

Jeez, If the deisign is changed to that Vegas one, I am killing Myself! Where is the Islamic Architecture in there??????

Anywho, I agree that the Mecca city council should have planned a skyscraper district somewhere else, far from the Kaabah. Its like when you have your pilgrimage, you pray and instead of seeing Allah up there, you see these towers lol.
pencakar langit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:03 AM   #195
misterdz

Likes (Received): 169

this is building in very insolite !!!
one building in the mecqua is symbol
very beautiful project
misterdz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #196
yusef

Any new construction photos?
yusef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #197
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10104

yeah that would be nice. less crap talk.
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #198
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

can't wait to see it finished
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #199
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2561

The last thing I wanted around the Ka'aba was a skyscraper
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #200
european

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
yeah that would be nice. less crap talk.
And who exactally are you talking to like that?
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia