daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #2341
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
here they compound both Moorish and Ottoman architecture and the result is this new style ( saudi style ) . the Saudis have done this befor in Al-Masjid Al-Nabawi :

you can't say this is moorish nor you can say it's ottoman !
it's not ottoman architecture smart ass.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #2342
Aadil.Aijaz
Be careful. He bites.

Likes (Received): 1180

I really love this design actually...
It's very unique from most of the supertalls..
Aadil.Aijaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #2343
Huti
bitte spiel mir etwas

Likes (Received): 19976

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
But this style of architecture is a Las Vegas idea of Moorish architecture, neither of which have ANYTHING to do with Saudi history. This is as fake as the Disney castle.
Absolutely true!!!
It's a Disneyland-ized Arabic culture,...
Huti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #2344
Huti
bitte spiel mir etwas

Likes (Received): 19976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahid View Post
lol Las Vegas? what a joke.

There is many Islamic (or arab) architecture.... and Abraj Al-Bait is one of them..
dude, whole Dubai-,,wonder,,-thingy is Las Vegas+Disneyland view of Arab architecture mixed with modern steel-glass construction design,...
Huti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2345
leetroy

Likes (Received): 26

wow you guys are just jealous of how fast we are develping here in the middle east
and of all the super talls we are building
leetroy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2346
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
it's not Moorish and even if it was , what's the problem ? isn't Morocco a Muslim country ? and isn't Mecca a city for all the Muslim world ?
anyway ,I would say it's a new style !
here they compound both Moorish and Ottoman architecture and the result is this new style ( saudi style ) . the Saudis have done this befor in Al-Masjid Al-Nabawi :

you can't say this is moorish nor you can say it's ottoman !
Thank you for the photo illustrating your point. I'm not sure it has translated well but the "Las Vegas" and Disney labels imply a superficial and dishonest imitation. This would appear to be more of a fusion and interpretation, weither this is a pleasing design is up to the individual to decide, but it does not appear to be "fake" or misleading.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2347
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

For everyone that thinks this building destroys the area round the Central Haram Mosque, check this out:

Foster and Hadid to redesign Mecca

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...ign_mecca.html
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #2348
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

Likes (Received): 257

i know this is not a political / religious forum but I think its a shame how the saudis are destroying historic buildings everywhere! got nothing against the tower but they should have some respect for history! these are not sites important only to saudis or only muslims, they are important to the world history.

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/arc...eatbelt-as.php
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:42 AM   #2349
Erhan

Likes (Received): 10503

Abraj Al-Bait is ridiculus!! I hate Saudi Arabia for everything they are doing in one of the most sacred cities in the world, destroying ancient buildings and places to make hotels and malls...thats shows how retarded they are!
Erhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:48 AM   #2350
Sdare

Likes (Received): 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Abraj Al-Bait is ridiculus!! I hate Saudi Arabia for everything they are doing in one of the most sacred cities in the world, destroying ancient buildings and places to make hotels and malls...thats shows how retarded they are!
were there ancient buildings actually
Sdare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:00 AM   #2351
leetroy

woow your retarded first of all they did not destroy any ancient or sacred places they are only destroying crumbling down building built in the 70 to serve as hotels and suits for the hajaj and built something that is useful for many other things.

Hotels,apartments,mall,HARAM EXPEDITION AREA, and a train track which tours all around makkah and its sacred places all in

seven towers
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2352
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

While Mecca definetly needs hotels to house all of the pilgrims, could't they bouild them just a little farther from their most holy site? It completely overpowers the mosque! It would be like the vatican building a 400 meter supertall 15 meters away from St. Peter's Bascillica! Or for the japanese to build a McDonalds on top of every holy shinto shrine!
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM   #2353
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiki24 View Post
While Mecca definitely needs hotels to house all of the pilgrims, couldn't they build them just a little farther from their most holy site? It completely overpowers the mosque!
Exactly my thoughts.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM   #2354
leetroy

its saposed to be close the buldings them self are the haram expadtions
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:20 AM   #2355
mehdi_cs
Physicist

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetroy View Post
its saposed to be close the buldings them self are the haram expadtions
In old days, if someone had built a 50 storey building here, it would have got the same comments. But, can you imaging such comments coming up for a 50 storey high riser near Haram now? I think, not. But, Haram will always have the same value for Muslims. Haram is not looked at as a beautiful or tall building so no matter how tall buildings are made around it, its universal importance remain unaffected in the minds of Muslims.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM   #2356
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

This building is screaming "Look at me!!!". Is it because Mecca's waning influence among the Moslem world needs this oversized overdesigned monstrosity badly?
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM   #2357
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetroy View Post
wow you guys are just jealous of how fast we are develping here in the middle east
and of all the super talls we are building
Ha ha ha ha ha. Yeah that's what I am - jealous. If anyone ever built this in my country I'd burn it down myself.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM   #2358
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascalzone View Post
Worst supertall ever
In that regard, a fitting tribute for a religion in the 21st century.

Really, as impressive as it's physical presence and massiveness must be up close, this is truly an abomination of arrogance - an arrogance of wealth and power, an arrogance of contempt, an arrogance of government.

A momumental, colossal folly of arrogance. At least in past centuries the religious built beautiful buildings. This is just offensive and very sad.

And Mecca looks like a dump. The Grand Mosque seems to be the only attraction there (which I suppose is the point...).
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #2359
weird
vagamundo

Very russian, but I like it.
Maybe it should be a few kms ago..
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #2360
memot_jr_jr
i am malaysian

Likes (Received): 0

Well, I think that the developer of this superstructure worked very hard to build this building. Put yourselves into the hands of the architects who were given the job of designing Abraj al Bait.

First, they need to build a hotel for the pilgrims. If they build a shorter one, this will make no difference than the original hotels that were demolished to make way for this hotel. Plus a taller hotel can accommodate more people bringing more money to hotel owner. ( we cannot blame them if they want business ).

Secondly, if the architects wants the building to be cladded with glass, they can do so. however, they take their time concentrating on the details of the building to make it blend with the surrounding. They incorporated arches, tents, stone cladding and many more. this building is also designed in a very short time due to the needs of this building to accommodate pilgrims ASAP. So, bravo to the architects for creating harmony in designing this building in such short period of time.

Thirdly, the location of the building cannot be blamed. If they build the building far from the Masjidil Haram, not many people are gonna stay there because they need to walk for a long distance. This will bring slow business for the hotel and mall of the building. The closer the hotel to Masjidil Haram, the better because pilgrims can get to Masjidil Haram faster.

Fourthly, making the structure tall has to do with what i called the 'landmark effect' when you looked at other cities around the world, if you are traveling by land based transportation towards the city, what signs tells you are getting closer to the city? the landmarks of course. you know you are getting closer to paris when you see the Eiffel tower, to Manhattan when you see ESB, to Kuala Lumpur when you see Petronas Twin Towers. the same thing applies here. Pilgrims arriving from Madinah, Jeddah can know that they are getting closer to Mecca when they see Abraj al Bait from far.

Lastly, if you say this building is tacky and vegasy, you are wrong because if you look megahotels in vegas like venetian, mandalay bay, bellagio , etc... they build the hotel in Y shape. this building have 5 separated towers (correct me if im wrong) sit on a podium that make it look like a cluster of towers instead of las vegas blocks of dominoes.

If you think this building is tacky, why don't you design it yourself within the same time as given to the architects of Abraj al Bait.
memot_jr_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia