daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #3281
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibib View Post
WoW, this topic has really uncovered some emotions
yea i think we learned our lesson; show some new developments in Mecca and you won't have to watch Oprah or Dr Phil for a week...
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3282
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

I like you man!
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #3283
nautica17

Likes (Received): 0

Hello all. Nice building this is turning out to be. Very unique architecture. I have a quick question though... since Mecca is closed off to non-Muslims (right?) then are there any engineers from Europe working on this like in many other places around the world? (I'm assuming that most European engineers are not Muslim.)
nautica17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #3284
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Majority of Engineering and construction is carried out by Saudi corps.

There are some designing that are done from overseas, however construction itself is carried out by local firms.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #3285
YasinH

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
mecca sux
You don't even know why you said this. Your idiotic comment only reflects how ignorant you people really are. You guys hate people based on religion, ethnicity, geo-graphical location etc.... rather than appreciating the fact that we are all human being.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #3286
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

i hate glass buildings, but i think they could'v made this building look better in many other ways
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #3287
Duopolis
Hong Kong lover

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
This is simply disgusting.

They have to destroy heritage buildings for all that shite, haven't they?
What age are we living in, the 70s?
100% agree. Everything is wrong here IMO, don't even know where to start. I really hope they will revise the concepts. Mecca deserves something much better than this
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #3288
ibib

What heritage buildings??
Historically, Makkah has been rebuilt so many times, even the cubed black sharine "alkaabah" has been rebuilt more than seven times since Prophet Abraham had built it. All old surroundings of mosque has been affected by annual rain floods and rebuilt again and agian. When the birth place of Prophet Mohammad was destroyed few years ago to expand the mosque, it was a 50 years old liberary building not even a house.
The mosque and its surroundings has gradually changed over Islamic historical eras to accommodate for the needs of pilgrims. The Saudi era is no exception, and those who comes after Saudis will do the same!
For Muslims, what matters in Makkah is the place and sprituality, not how old a building is!
As for my friends here who do not know anything about Makkah, stop showing it by rehearsing the heritage and historical stuff
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3289
GulfArabia

i don't find "heritage" important when it is bothering the convenience of hajj, this city is not for tourism and luxury, for all who doesn't like it "the non-muslims who are actually not going to ever see it in reality unless they believe god is one and muhammed pbuh is the last messenger" should go somewhere else, not ur heritage ..
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:46 AM   #3290
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Heritage is important because we have to know where were we from to not lose our past and have a knowledge for our future. I live near the Alhambra in Granada we take care of it even if it was not build by us.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM   #3291
NorthPole
Great Ape Project

I don't get why did they have to build an "8-th grown up Sister"
And yes, "Heritage" is the key word for such places like Mecca.
If the most important thing were "how to accommodate more pilgrims", the most important thing would be probably building a spiral (spring-shaped) way around the shrine...

Gdynia from above
NorthPole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3292
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

I try to stay away from this thread only because the ignorance of some people here just irritates me. For those going on and on about some fantasy heritage site/buildings, have you lot ever been to Makkah? Have you bothered to explore it a bit? Do you even know what has been torn down for these new developments? If not, please stop making comments like you are some expert on this.

Take it from someone that knows the city, most of the buildings torn down for these developments were old, crumbling hotels and residential buildings (also used mostly by pilgrims). There were some stores and stuff on the street level of the buildings. In most cases these buildings were really old, poorly designed, narrow, suffocating, inconvenient, and often unsafe for use. I have seen how cramped some of these buildings were and how poor the living conditions were for pilgrims.

Now, if you would still like to argue that these pilgrims that have traveled thousands of miles and are often old and frail don't deserve modern, comfortable, and above all, safe accommodations so they can go back to their families after their pilgrimage then that's just poor judgment on your part or you just don't care. Personally, I am very happy to see those old buildings go and I hope the remaining such buildings will be torn down and developments that facilitate pilgrims are implemented.
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3293
GulfArabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
I try to stay away from this thread only because the ignorance of some people here just irritates me. For those going on and on about some fantasy heritage site/buildings, have you lot ever been to Makkah? Have you bothered to explore it a bit? Do you even know what has been torn down for these new developments? If not, please stop making comments like you are some expert on this.

Take it from someone that knows the city, most of the buildings torn down for these developments were old, crumbling hotels and residential buildings (also used mostly by pilgrims). There were some stores and stuff on the street level of the buildings. In most cases these buildings were really old, poorly designed, narrow, suffocating, inconvenient, and often unsafe for use. I have seen how cramped some of these buildings were and how poor the living conditions were for pilgrims.

Now, if you would still like to argue that these pilgrims that have traveled thousands of miles and are often old and frail don't deserve modern, comfortable, and above all, safe accommodations so they can go back to their families after their pilgrimage then that's just poor judgment on your part or you just don't care. Personally, I am very happy to see those old buildings go and I hope the remaining such buildings will be torn down and developments that facilitate pilgrims are implemented.

i went there 3 times, the only real best of all heritage, is the ka'ba , built by Abraham pbuh , & the huge black mountains, its great that the new buildings look almost same style as the new ones & better
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #3294
ibib

gohorns, I know what you are trying to say because I've been there too. Just look at the birth place of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

What heritage is there?? You can even see the bad graffiti on the walls
Look at the heritage around that place too.
Makkah is a place to worship God not alka'bah or any other old building. Convenience of worship and pilgrims comes first. Makkah is not a museum.
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #3295
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57854

Well, that's at least better than those ridiculous projects replacing the tiny buildings of Mecca historic core. They could just renovate them and build the crap hotels outside the core, no problem at all.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #3296
jh1
سعودي

Likes (Received): 63

what "historic core" ? name me just one building form there if you can

نَظَــرَتْ فأقصَـدتِ الــفؤاد بسهمـها...|... ثم انثنت عــــنهُ فكـــــادَ يهيم
ويــلاه إن نـظَرت وإن هىَ أعرضَت...|... وقعُ السهـــام ونـــزعهن أليم

Last edited by jh1; October 24th, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
jh1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3297
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasinH View Post
You don't even know why you said this. Your idiotic comment only reflects how ignorant you people really are. You guys hate people based on religion, ethnicity, geo-graphical location etc.... rather than appreciating the fact that we are all human being.
You people? Get back to me when your people don't do the exact same thing.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #3298
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibib View Post
I think it is very soon to judge the look or style of the building since it's only a simple part of a much bigger project. Many other projects are under construction around the building and mosque. The real thing will be revealed after the whole painting is completed.

I like these two a lot! The colour scheme, the traditional motifs, and the atmosphere are all very harmonic - these are high quality projects!
ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #3299
ibib

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Well, that's at least better than those ridiculous projects replacing the tiny buildings of Mecca historic core. They could just renovate them and build the crap hotels outside the core, no problem at all.
Probably you haven't carefully read what has been posted before, or maybe you have read it but enjoy complaining There is no such thing called "tiny buildings of Mecca historic core". WoW , I don't know why you invented that expression. Maybe because it doesn't contain the word heritage discussed before. So if we talk about heritage , you'll mention historic, and if we discuss historic, you'll mention heritage Now I got it!
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #3300
ibib

Uaarkson, I wish you didn't make the same mistake YasinH did!!
ibib no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia