daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #3541
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

UPDATE: Height of the project has been decreased 4 meters to be 591 m

I hope the moderator changes the topic of the thread to be 591 m not 595 m anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final height: 591 M

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #3542
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

No reason to apologize for those pictures, abumuhannadh. Very nice update...thanks a lot.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #3543
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
No reason to apologize for those pictures, abumuhannadh. Very nice update...thanks a lot.
Agree! It's good to have recent (and good) pics of Qibia Tower and the back side of the Royal Hotel.

I wonder what's the reason for the new height. Skipping of one floor or a slight redesign of the top for instance?
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3544
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Great update....I love this building!!!!!
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #3545
mrfix
United Kingdom

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hochhaus View Post
Agree! It's good to have recent (and good) pics of Qibia Tower and the back side of the Royal Hotel.

I wonder what's the reason for the new height. Skipping of one floor or a slight redesign of the top for instance?
One of the floor height was almost 9 meters but floor purpose has been changed which is why the floor height has been reduced by 4 meters to 5 meters.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #3546
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

I haven't been following this thread, which render is the correct one?

or

ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #3547
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

[QUOTE=ABC LV;48174849]I haven't been following this thread, which render is the correct one?

The top one with the clock face beneath the spire. If there's any additional modifications, it seems that is where they will be. The base and shafts of these towers are very much the same in both renders.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3548
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 409

Then somebody should edit first post of this thread...
ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #3549
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Makkah to be made world’s most advanced city: Governor

JEDDAH: Steps are currently under way to make Makkah the world’s most advanced city, said Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled Al-Faisal, Al-Eqtisadiah newspaper reported yesterday.

“A comprehensive study has been launched with the participation of Saudi and international experts, including those from the United Nations, to develop Makkah into the most beautiful and advanced city of the world by employing latest communication and transportation techniques,” said Prince Khaled.

The prince was speaking at an annual meeting that discussed the execution of a strategy for the development of the region at Dar Al-Hekma College in Jeddah on Thursday.

“As you know, the Makkah region and its people have launched a strategy — unprecedented in its nature — to develop the region. I have been honored to be entrusted with the task of serving the Makkah region after getting royal approval,” he said.

“I undertook the task of devising a strategy with people’s cooperation to develop Makkah on the basis of the government’s five-year plan,” he added.

The prince noted with satisfaction that many issues affecting Jeddah, such as water shortage, garbage problem, unplanned housing and congestion at the King Abdul Aziz International Airport have been solved.

“I remember, when I took charge as the governor of the province, people used to say water was the most serious issue. Now the issue has been tackled successfully with the introduction of two floating desalination plants and the commissioning of the Al-Shuaiba desalination project, which supplies water to Makkah, Jeddah and Taif,” Prince Khaled said.

The problem of environmental pollution caused by frequent fires at garbage dumping centers has been solved with proper monitoring of such locations and the adoption of safety measures. Another major issue was congestion at King Abdul Aziz International Airport, particularly during the peak season. “That problem has also been solved to a great extent and would be solved for good with the completion of the airport expansion project in 2012,” the governor said.

Another problem in the region is the presence of illegal people, said the governor, adding that several steps are being taken to overcome it.

“It would be a great achievement if the problem is solved as such issues remain unresolved in most countries,” he said. “This is not a problem faced by Saudi Arabia alone. Other countries also face similar problems and they have not found solutions to it,” he said.

In his speech, Prince Khaled also disclosed his intention to set up a management academy to train administrators and youths in administration for managing huge projects.

Smart cities in the cards, says Prince Khaled

JEDDAH – The cities in Makkah Region will be converted into smart cities fully equipped with the latest available modern technologies, Prince Khaled Al-Faisal, Emir of Makkah Region, said here on Sunday.
Talking to Okaz after a tour of Khozam Project in the city, Prince Khaled reiterated that the public and private sector should work hand-in-hand in the development projects of the Kingdom.
King Abdullah, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, has been repeatedly advocating cooperation between the public and the private sector in all the developmental projects across the Kingdom, the Emir said.
The said cooperation, Prince Khaled said, has already been proved beneficial and he cited the project for development and treatment of unplanned districts in Makkah Province. The participation of the two sectors is the pillar of this development, the Emir said.
He added that they were now at the first stage of the start of developing unplanned districts in Jeddah and the Executive Committee overseeing the project meets periodically to follow up work progress.
The project covers four unplanned districts – Al-Balad, Al-Sabeel, Qasr Khuzam Area and Al-Nuzla.
“When the project starts and can be seen by citizens they would realize how these unplanned districts have been converted into modern areas fully equipped with all the sophisticated technology providing a decent life for the citizens in the region.
Prince Khaled said the citizens would realize the importance of this project which has socio-economic and cultural aspects. It will achieve a qualitative change for the man in Jeddah city. “Residents of these districts would find themselves shifting from areas totally isolated from man’s needs in this age to modern constructions in districts fully equipped with the required infrastructure, schools, hospitals, parks and all the other modern means,” he said.
“I believe the coming ten years would witness a big qualitative change in the region and achieve everybody’s dreams in living in districts making them feel they are living in the first world,” he said.
Prince Khaled said residential buildings are being rehabilitated by the companies executing the development projects and the citizens of these districts will shift to them.
Prince Khaled made an inspection tour of the site for the Qasr Khozam Unplanned Districts Development Project. Work in removing the debris and preparing the land for developing the infrastructure began on March 16.
Prince Khaled who is also Chairman of the Executive Committee for the Development of Unplanned Districts in Makkah Region presided over the project’s executive committee meeting.
The meeting dealt with the mechanism for compensating the Saudi real estate owners whose properties come within the development projects for unplanned districts, those not possessing title deeds, the program for supporting those whose compensation is insufficient to own an alternative residence in the Qasr Khozam Area Development Project, the mechanism for compensating real estate owners from the rent income and the conditions that must be fulfilled by the beneficiaries.
He stressed the state’s keenness to solve all the social aspects and remove all the obstacles hindering execution of the project through the compensation mechanism that serves everybody’s interests and safeguards their rights.
– Okaz/SG
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #3550
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

December 1, 2009

let's zoom little bit

zoom little more

from another angle

let's zoom again

Iron Bars???

from behind Hilton

Last edited by abumuhannadh; December 10th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3551
@Flores

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSORROW View Post
the ones in the gcc countries can afford it and also people will keep increasing if there is more space. the mosque and the hotels must expand for the sake of the prilgrims. more supply will increase demand and reduce the price.
Are you sure?

I do not think so.

To complete all housings or hotels for pilgrims, meaning still need 10 to 20 years more. And many things will change within this period.

Also consider this: the more rooms they provide the more they will increase the numbers of pilgrims to enter.
Let us say that they just allow 2 million pilgrims right now, perhaps someday they will allow 5 millions pilgrims. In other words, there will be never enough rooms supply and the price will always high.
@Flores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #3552
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

Great update, thanks abumuhannadh
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3553
mrfix
United Kingdom

Likes (Received): 34

Thanks abumuhannadh for excellent update.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3554
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

Does anybody has information about when they are going to destroy this ugly little building in front of the entrance which can be seen on the first one of the most recent shots of abumuhannadh?
I just remember that somewhere in the thread someone mentioned that it belongs to one of the members of the royal family, that's why they hesitated with the destruction...
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #3555
VRS

Likes (Received): 11519

great up date...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #3556
gbrett

Likes (Received): 0

This project is unreal. Can't take my eyes off of it.
gbrett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3557
warden987

Likes (Received): 902

Reminds me of Moscow Stalinist skyscrapers, but overall looks very fine!
warden987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #3558
Sandeman
everything's looking up

I laughed whan I read this title:
"Makkah to be made world’s most advanced city: Governor"

if this wasn't such a contradiction I might have taken this a bit more seriously... but to say that there is anything "advanced" in an Islamic theocratic monarchy is just ridiculous!

I would one day love to visit this city, but because of religion, I am not allowed? This is decades, no centuries away from being "the world’s most advanced city".

Last edited by Sandeman; December 10th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #3559
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeman View Post
I laughed whan I read this title:
"Makkah to be made world’s most advanced city: Governor"

if this wasn't such a contradiction I might have taken this a bit more seriously... but to say that there is anything "advanced" in an Islamic theocratic monarchy is just ridiculous!

I would one day love to visit this city, but because of religion, I am not allowed? This is decades, no centuries away from being "the world’s most advanced city".
Technological advancement and social advancement are two very different things.
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #3560
abumuhannadh

December 4

image hosted on flickr

December 6

image hosted on flickr

credit : 'asyiqul^huur
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia