daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #361
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadhi View Post
It's Big Ben in Mecca.

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #362
MF

Likes (Received): 0

Is this design higher than the 2005's one?
MF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #363
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

yes
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #364
Lmichigan

Likes (Received): 1592

Hey, does anyone know where that elevation drawing came from showing the height? Also, does anyone have a press release to show when this latest design was announced? You can send me a message.

BTW, all the papers are saying the clock will sit at 380 meters above the ground, but if the tower is really 577 meters to its spire, that would make the area above the clock 197 meters, which doesn't seem likely from any of the renderings. Either the clock sits higher, or the tower is not 577 meters.

Last edited by Lmichigan; March 16th, 2007 at 01:25 PM.
Lmichigan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #365
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

World's Tallest Clock Tower to be Built in Mecca

14/03/2007
By Nahid Andijani

Jeddah, Asharq Al-Awsat- The holy city of Mecca is soon to become home to the worlds tallest clock tower following the announcement of the decision made by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, to construct the Mecca clock tower.

The governor of Mecca, Prince Abdul Majeed bin Abdulaziz, announced Tuesday that the clock would be placed on top of the fifth tower of the King Abdulaziz Endowment project opposite the Holy Mosque at 380 meters high, making it the world's highest clock. The four sides of the clock will be adorned by the name of God.

The project will use four clock faces for each side of the tower, including 2 main clocks that are 80 meters high and that will adorn the name of God, and that will be 65 meters wide with a 39-meter diameter. The other two clocks will be placed 65 meters high and will be approximately 34 meters wide with a 25-meter diameter.

There will be an elevator to take visitors to the surrounding balcony below the four clocks.

Asharq Al Awsat learnt that the project is still tentative. The company that will build and install the clock and the cost of the project are yet to be determined. The source told Asharq Al Awsat Tuesday that one of the world's leading clock makers would be chosen to take on the project.

The Saudi Binladin Group is in charge of developing the King Abdulaziz Endowment project and may be assigned to oversee or coordinate the details of building the clock. The project is expected to take six months to complete.

The King Abdulaziz Endowment project, which overlooks the Holy Mosque and has been chosen as the site of the world's highest clock, is one of the world's largest construction projects. The project was rated the largest architectural building in view of the total area, which exceeds 1.4 million square meters. Designed using the Islamic architecture, it contains 7 adjacent towers, with 6,000 housing units, and has over SR6 billion (US$1.6 billions) in investments.

With the construction of the clock, Saudi Arabia, specifically the western region, will be the site of two world landmarks, including the Jeddah Fountain, which is 261 meters high and was built at the order of King Fahd bin Abdulaziz. The area of flowing water is 4,000 square meters. Three giant pumps are used to pump water at a speed of 320 kilometers per hour and are 261 meters in height.

www.aawsat.com

Last edited by Riyadhi; March 16th, 2007 at 03:23 PM.
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #366
Riyadhi

Lmichigan,

I did some measurements and I got almost the same height. I Used the 39m diameter that was mentioned in the above article as a scale on that drawing.

Last edited by Riyadhi; March 16th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #367
Tharpe

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
Ugly!
lol! agreed
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #368
Lmichigan

Quote:
Lmichigan,

I did some measurements and I got almost the same height. I Used the 39m diameter that was mentioned in the above article as a scale on that drawing.
You mean you got the same height as the elevation drawing showing the top to be 577 meters high?
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #369
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2561

The crescent moon does not look good on this style of building. Had they have built a building with traditional (i.e. Islamic) style of exterior, the crescent moon at the top may have looked better.
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #370
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
it looks a bit like a communist building now.
Haha
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #371
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

The 2005 design looks the best, adding the clock looks retarded
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #372
Riyadhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
You mean you got the same height as the elevation drawing showing the top to be 577 meters high?
I got around 550 m.
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #373
Lmichigan

Someone needs to email the architect, developer, and/or constructor to find the exact heights and figures. I'm sure they'll answer.

BTW, we see the top number in that scanned elevation drawing, but we can't see the base number. Often times, architects do not measure from 0 meters. We really don't know what the base number is.

Last edited by Lmichigan; March 17th, 2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #374
petul

i wonder why in such an important religious place such an over-dimensioned building can be constructed. It will dwarf all the minarets of the mosque, and not a mosque but THE mosque. It is something as putting the Venetian from Las Vegas next to St Peter in Rome. From now on the most important building in the city will seem to be the hotel, quite controversial, don't you think?
petul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #375
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

No
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #376
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2561

Quote:
Originally Posted by petul View Post
i wonder why in such an important religious place such an over-dimensioned building can be constructed. It will dwarf all the minarets of the mosque, and not a mosque but THE mosque. It is something as putting the Venetian from Las Vegas next to St Peter in Rome. From now on the most important building in the city will seem to be the hotel, quite controversial, don't you think?
I used to think the same when I first heard of this project. However, the pros outweigh the cons. It is being built to accomodate the pilgrams, who number in the millions at one time.
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #377
beyutch

Quote:
Wow, that gives you a really good idea of the scale. Put the clock tower in the middle and it's going to be absolutely ginormous!
beyutch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #378
petul

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BPS_ View Post
I used to think the same when I first heard of this project. However, the pros outweigh the cons. It is being built to accommodate the pilgrims, who number in the millions at one time.
I can imagine that accommodation is a major problem but this seems more about having rooms with a great view over the mosque, even if pilgrims loose the minaret skyline from the central patio. If you see a satellite view of Mecca (http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl..._map_Mecca.htm)
you can see that there is plenty of unbuilt land within hundreds of meters from there where a whole hotel district could be raised. I suppose that most of pilgrims can't afford to pay a room in this hotel. They will be placed in tents as it has been done. I would find a bit shocking to confirm such a drastic wealth inequality from the heart of a religious center. It is about how the city is conceived and there should be some construction rules that reflect this. In a financial center as Dubai, NY or HK, concurrence is the rule, in Paris, rationality and equality where behind the urban project. This a great opportunity to show what are the central values behind an Islamic conception of the city and it would be a shame if it is not seized.
petul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #379
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Nothing wrong with the 2007 design, but I prefer the 2005 slightly. The 2 new 300m+ buildings may help the overall feel.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #380
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10112

gee is every new bldg in the world going over half a km?? how awesome. so is 577ma significant number? 1892ft? what happened in 1892?
such a massive clock. anyone got the time? lol

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia