daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #5081
Balsen
:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:

Likes (Received): 2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumuhannadh View Post
i get that it is IMPOSSIBLE for this thread to be on topic, mostly because the building is in Makkah.
Islamophobia rules mind of many people in the west, this building being in Makkah is enough for them to hate it. i am sure if it was in London or Chicago, the views will be totally different.
Not true, I look on this building only from the aesthetics point of view.
I very appreciate the arabic and muslim style of architectutal design, which looking at the past was always rich and magnificent.
...this building however is not...
Balsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5082
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

HELLOOOO!!!
i said MANY PEOPLE, not ALL.
and that is a fact that we have seen here.
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5083
abumuhannadh

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Don't even get me started on what a public outcry this building complex would be likely to cause if built in Chicago.
yeah, with the Islamic touch, of course.
no one will want Allah Akbar written big in any building in America. a mosque in lower Manhattan was the topic of debate last week.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #5084
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ity-Mecca.html

Will we soon set watches to Mecca Mean Time? Giant £500million clock being built in Islamic holy city

I do not endorse the statements of the article, which are I assume mostly bullshit.

But I was wondering, why does it have a clock?

Visit Grantham Linconshire

Last edited by eddyk; August 12th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #5085
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerindish View Post
Hilarious. And as a bonus you use one of the most stupid and moronic words that have made it into the modern lexicon --> "Islamophobia" (I'm not afrai of Islam as the word would imply - on the contrary, i'm all to aware of Islam's history having read extensively on it. But then again, that's what you muslims are afraid of, aren't you? When people start to learn the truths about Islam like the fact that Mohammad consummated his marriage with Aisha when she was 9 or that you really worship an Idol [fallen meteorite] in the Kabaa - THAT'S what you guys really fear, isn't it?)

And you can start to lecture America about tolerance when you Mohammadens in "progressive" Saudi Arabia start to allow non-muslims to worship freely and build their own places of worship (and when muslims are able to convert to whatever religion they want). Oh, and also when you guys stop waging war AGAINST EVERY OTHER RELIGION ON THE PLANET.

Until then, no amount of glitz and the outward appearance of modernity bought with oil money will hide the fact that you folks live in the middle ages and have a medieval mindset!

Anyways, back on topic --> why does this clock resemble Big Ben so closely? Couldn't they come up with an original idea?
BAN. Seriously, what's with these Indian trolls butting in everywhere?
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #5086
mazdaman

Likes (Received): 0

Appeal to Moderators

As a regular visitor to this forum, I must say the moderators need to be more proactive in controlling the discourse. There are way too many trolls that are allowed to have their say with impunity. People should know that their opinionated beliefs are not welcome here as this is not what this forum is about.
This is an appeal to the moderators to make it clear to the participants that such posts will not be tolerated.
mazdaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5087
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Anyways, back on topic --> why does this clock resemble Big Ben so closely? Couldn't they come up with an original idea?
Because that's one of the earliest and most wide-spread design styles for mechanical clock towers, used for almost a millenium in thousands of clock towers around the world?
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #5088
>ChaosEvil
¤Algerian Onlooker¤

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom6 View Post
Yeah thats right! Intresting colors at night, I was first surprised.
They selected green because the flag of Saudi Arabia is green too. Correct me if im wrong

Green color is, first of all, a symbol of Islam

In fact, it will be very easy to climb the building because of its shape and architecture.
- Alain Robert

╚╬╝tudert iymaziγen g tegzirin tikanariyin γar siwa╚╬╝
╔╬╗tudert iymaziγen g siwa γar tegzirin tikanariyin╔╬╗
>ChaosEvil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #5089
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

STFU and GTFO you Indian troll
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5090
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Good to see the totalitarian streak coming out of the usual suspects, i.e. muslims and chinese (natural bedfellows eh?)

Fine I will rectify my previous comments and thoughts to be more in line with what people around here want to hear: Islam is the religion of peace and has brought nothing but paradise and heaven to all those it has touched and China is the grandest place on Earth and treats its citizens with dignity and respect and allows total freedom of expression.
You know, it's really not that hard to stay on topic if you're not an idiot.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #5091
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Good to see the totalitarian streak coming out of the usual suspects, i.e. muslims and chinese (natural bedfellows eh?)

Fine I will rectify my previous comments and thoughts to be more in line with what people around here want to hear: Islam is the religion of peace and has brought nothing but paradise and heaven to all those it has touched and China is the grandest place on Earth and treats its citizens with dignity and respect and allows total freedom of expression.
Should you not be worried about some 160million muslims in India?

No wonder Pakistan/Bangladesh seperated
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #5092
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
You know, it's really not that hard to stay on topic if you're not an idiot.
Therein lies his dilemma.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #5093
abumuhannadh

Quote:
Hilarious. And as a bonus you use one of the most stupid and moronic words that have made it into the modern lexicon --> "Islamophobia" (I'm not afrai of Islam as the word would imply - on the contrary, i'm all to aware of Islam's history having read extensively on it. But then again, that's what you muslims are afraid of, aren't you? When people start to learn the truths about Islam like the fact that Mohammad consummated his marriage with Aisha when she was 9 or that you really worship an Idol [fallen meteorite] in the Kabaa - THAT'S what you guys really fear, isn't it?)

And you can start to lecture America about tolerance when you Mohammadens in "progressive" Saudi Arabia start to allow non-muslims to worship freely and build their own places of worship (and when muslims are able to convert to whatever religion they want). Oh, and also when you guys stop waging war AGAINST EVERY OTHER RELIGION ON THE PLANET.

Until then, no amount of glitz and the outward appearance of modernity bought with oil money will hide the fact that you folks live in the middle ages and have a medieval mindset!

some one please teach this ignorant fool, he reads too much about Islam that he cannot get even the basic facts right.
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #5094
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumuhannadh View Post
i get that it is IMPOSSIBLE for this thread to be on topic, mostly because the building is in Makkah.
Islamophobia rules mind of many people in the west, this building being in Makkah is enough for them to hate it. i am sure if it was in London or Chicago, the views will be totally different.
Wow did it take you that long to figure out? I'm just so sick of this thread, you don't even wanna know. I've been trying and trying over and over again. Lockdowns, brigging, banning, warning. You know it's not working. So I chose to leave this thread to the other mods. I'm done with this thread cuz when I start banning people it isn't really appreciated either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaman View Post
As a regular visitor to this forum, I must say the moderators need to be more proactive in controlling the discourse. There are way too many trolls that are allowed to have their say with impunity. People should know that their opinionated beliefs are not welcome here as this is not what this forum is about.
This is an appeal to the moderators to make it clear to the participants that such posts will not be tolerated.
Thanks for your point of view but I think we're fine. Don't tell us what to do
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #5095
abodi_cool
ME.

can't wait for the grand openning <3 i love Abraj Albait
abodi_cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #5096
evolu

any new updates?
evolu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #5097
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by abodi_cool View Post
can't wait for the grand openning <3 i love Abraj Albait
I can't wait either. This has come to look like a perfect icon for Mecca. The design quality of this building is superb. Can't wait to see many interior shots as well as views from various rooms.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #5098
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10115

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolu View Post
any new updates?
yeah its been 480m for a while now. i reckon any day the lunar gallery bulb will go up to take height to base of spire which is 508m! equal with taipei101
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #5099
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.A View Post

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flic

did you notice the tiny old clock at the bottom some one should take a closer picture of it, does it have a name ? i remember seeing it when i was in Makkah last time
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #5100
steve1young

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom6 View Post
Yeah thats right! Intresting colors at night, I was first surprised.
They selected green because the flag of Saudi Arabia is green too. Correct me if im wrong

It was discussed a number of pages back that in addition to green being the color of Islam and the color of the flag of Saudi Arabia ... the color green was tested and found to be the color that projected more clearly and readable from the farthest distance at night.
steve1young no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia