daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #5401
Muttie
Registered User
 
Muttie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rotterdam - Nador - Tangier
Posts: 4,084
Likes (Received): 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Exactly. I think the key questions are: how many pilgrims can afford staying at the Hilton, or the new Al-Bait complex? What kind of people will live in them, be it on a regular basis or just for the Hadj? How many people are, and were historically, hosted in little cheap hotels, or by muslim organizations? By answering this, one will grasp why the Saudis wanted to build these monsters - including the Hilton, built in the nineties (Hint: to differentiate between two kinds of pilgrims).
Perhaps it has something to do with emerging economies within the muslim-world, which means more people can afford these kind of hotels. Or it has something to do with the fact that hotels are often overbooked, or the fact that the mosque is expanding (and there is currently actually a restriction on the amount of pilgrims being able to visit Mecca!).
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #5402
flares
Registered User
 
flares's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 275
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
Peter Andre gets everywhere these days
__________________
Bonjour
flares no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #5403
vandemolengraaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 31
Likes (Received): 0

They made a mistake to my opinion
the 2 towers are not a mirror image of each other

image hosted on flickr
vandemolengraaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #5404
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register
 
Ji-Ja-Jot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney / Hamburg
Posts: 9,477
Likes (Received): 27208

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I know it's not anywhere near April 1st ? but this is a joke isn't it ? a render......it can't be real......look at one block away.....shanties ??? the world has gone mad ..in some parts anyway ! Who is to occupy all this floor space in a place where no one would ever want to go except a one time visit because that's decreed if you are of that religion...which I respect...just not all the other add ons.
This is mecca and not dubai. Floor Space sure will be occupied to 100% many times during the year.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5405
GulfArabia
 
GulfArabia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KSA
Posts: 2,665
Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemolengraaf View Post
They made a mistake to my opinion
the 2 towers are not a mirror image of each other

image hosted on flickr
no they didn't, because these are arabic words, if they become a mirror image, no one will able to read it.
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5406
GulfArabia
 
GulfArabia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KSA
Posts: 2,665
Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I know it's not anywhere near April 1st ? but this is a joke isn't it ? a render......it can't be real......look at one block away.....shanties ??? the world has gone mad ..in some parts anyway ! Who is to occupy all this floor space in a place where no one would ever want to go except a one time visit because that's decreed if you are of that religion...which I respect...just not all the other add ons.
to go to pilgrimage to makkah, u will have to get a special visa, where each country has a limited amount of pilgrims it can send, if saudi didn't put that limit, there will be more than 20 Million in makkah during the hajj month praying at the same time.
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5407
GulfArabia
 
GulfArabia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KSA
Posts: 2,665
Likes (Received): 1513

All these people need a place to stay...












GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5408
Turbosnail
Registered User
 
Turbosnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 266

I really like this project - it is so different.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #5409
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,659
Likes (Received): 2612

Funny, it seems to be a recurring phenomenon to have someone come in this thread and talk about how nobody lives in Mecca and the only time of the year there are any people at all in the city is during the Hajj period. Shouldn't be so hard to spend five seconds checking Wikipedia to see that Mecca does indeed have permanent residents, 1.7 million in the city proper, two million in its urban area, 2.5 million in its metropolitan area. Yet according to people like redbaron it's a deserted ghost town 11 months of the year...
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #5410
redbaron_012
Registered User
 
redbaron_012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 11,559
Likes (Received): 3093

no I don't try and know what it's all about all I want to know is this pilgrimage has been going on for a long time....you say 20 million visit...ok ....all I was getting at is where did they all stay before this was built ? and from the pics the surrounding areas are not very ???? modern by comparison.
__________________
"Make no small plans, for they have not power to stir the blood" - Daniel H. Burnham
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #5411
Segun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Likes (Received): 0

Any Ideas if they will rebuild the Ottomon Fortress?
Segun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #5412
GulfArabia
 
GulfArabia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KSA
Posts: 2,665
Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
no I don't try and know what it's all about all I want to know is this pilgrimage has been going on for a long time....you say 20 million visit...ok ....all I was getting at is where did they all stay before this was built ? and from the pics the surrounding areas are not very ???? modern by comparison.
they demolished over 1003 buildings to make way for new larges buildings, + the new expansion of the mosque













BEFORE




AFTER


GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5413
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,659
Likes (Received): 2612

redbaron, the number of pilgrims greatly increased in the past couple of decades because transportation became more widely and cheaply available, allowing more Muslims to embark on a journey to Mecca. The number of airports increased, and flying in general became cheaper, making the trip far more easily available for Muslims that live far away from Mecca, in Indonesia or Bangladesh for example. Due to these advances, improvement in infrastructure (more airports worldwide) and technological advances leading to cheaper flight, Mecca has to greatly expand its facilities because there'll be more people coming. That's why there's this plethora of recent new megaprojects in Mecca. Understand it now?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5414
womfalcs3
Registered User
 
womfalcs3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jeddah
Posts: 446
Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
redbaron, the number of pilgrims greatly increased in the past couple of decades because transportation became more widely and cheaply available, allowing more Muslims to embark on a journey to Mecca. The number of airports increased, and flying in general became cheaper, making the trip far more easily available for Muslims that live far away from Mecca, in Indonesia or Bangladesh for example. Due to these advances, improvement in infrastructure (more airports worldwide) and technological advances leading to cheaper flight, Mecca has to greatly expand its facilities because there'll be more people coming. That's why there's this plethora of recent new megaprojects in Mecca. Understand it now?
Also because of the rapid population growth.

In 2000, the Muslim population was around 1 billion people. In 2009, the Pew Research Forum put the figure at 1.6 billion people.

A 60% increase in just 9 years.
womfalcs3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5415
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,659
Likes (Received): 2612

Yep, the muslim population is rapidly increasing and the ability of muslims worldwide to travel is increasing, so anyone can imagine that if Mecca doesn't rapidly increase its facilities and infrastructure accordingly it's gonna be swamped.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5416
roro987
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San José, Costa Rica
Posts: 1,389
Likes (Received): 11

i like this building, but around of this tower is ver horrible!!!
roro987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #5417
GulfArabia
 
GulfArabia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KSA
Posts: 2,665
Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro987 View Post
i like this building, but around of this tower is ver horrible!!!
the city is in a valley, lots of hills and mountains, most of the roads are underground tunnels.
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5418
Gadiri
Registered User
 
Gadiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Paris-Agadir-Guelmim
Posts: 52,646
Likes (Received): 6942

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
Waqf dosen't translate into "donation" , but rather "endowment" .
the sign is a temporary one as we can see here , the real one will be installed later , I guess they rushed to put this fake sign because the king is spending the last 10 days of ramadan literally in the palace next to the Tower , they wanted to please him or show off or something .
Ok, thanks for correction (english is not my favourite language).

Is that right, that those buidings can host 80,000 pilgrims ?
__________________


FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims


Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #5419
abumuhannadh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 559
Likes (Received): 1

.

a picture from last night (climax of Ramadan)



source : Arab News
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5420
VRS
Registered User
 
VRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 46,751
Likes (Received): 11519

superior picture
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu