daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #5401
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Exactly. I think the key questions are: how many pilgrims can afford staying at the Hilton, or the new Al-Bait complex? What kind of people will live in them, be it on a regular basis or just for the Hadj? How many people are, and were historically, hosted in little cheap hotels, or by muslim organizations? By answering this, one will grasp why the Saudis wanted to build these monsters - including the Hilton, built in the nineties (Hint: to differentiate between two kinds of pilgrims).
Perhaps it has something to do with emerging economies within the muslim-world, which means more people can afford these kind of hotels. Or it has something to do with the fact that hotels are often overbooked, or the fact that the mosque is expanding (and there is currently actually a restriction on the amount of pilgrims being able to visit Mecca!).
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #5402
flares

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
Peter Andre gets everywhere these days
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #5403
vandemolengraaf

Likes (Received): 0

They made a mistake to my opinion
the 2 towers are not a mirror image of each other

image hosted on flickr
vandemolengraaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #5404
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27208

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I know it's not anywhere near April 1st ? but this is a joke isn't it ? a render......it can't be real......look at one block away.....shanties ??? the world has gone mad ..in some parts anyway ! Who is to occupy all this floor space in a place where no one would ever want to go except a one time visit because that's decreed if you are of that religion...which I respect...just not all the other add ons.
This is mecca and not dubai. Floor Space sure will be occupied to 100% many times during the year.
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5405
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemolengraaf View Post
They made a mistake to my opinion
the 2 towers are not a mirror image of each other

image hosted on flickr
no they didn't, because these are arabic words, if they become a mirror image, no one will able to read it.
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5406
GulfArabia

Quote:
I know it's not anywhere near April 1st ? but this is a joke isn't it ? a render......it can't be real......look at one block away.....shanties ??? the world has gone mad ..in some parts anyway ! Who is to occupy all this floor space in a place where no one would ever want to go except a one time visit because that's decreed if you are of that religion...which I respect...just not all the other add ons.
to go to pilgrimage to makkah, u will have to get a special visa, where each country has a limited amount of pilgrims it can send, if saudi didn't put that limit, there will be more than 20 Million in makkah during the hajj month praying at the same time.
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5407
GulfArabia

All these people need a place to stay...

Old September 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5408
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

I really like this project - it is so different.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #5409
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Funny, it seems to be a recurring phenomenon to have someone come in this thread and talk about how nobody lives in Mecca and the only time of the year there are any people at all in the city is during the Hajj period. Shouldn't be so hard to spend five seconds checking Wikipedia to see that Mecca does indeed have permanent residents, 1.7 million in the city proper, two million in its urban area, 2.5 million in its metropolitan area. Yet according to people like redbaron it's a deserted ghost town 11 months of the year...
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #5410
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

no I don't try and know what it's all about all I want to know is this pilgrimage has been going on for a long time....you say 20 million visit...ok ....all I was getting at is where did they all stay before this was built ? and from the pics the surrounding areas are not very ???? modern by comparison.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #5411
Segun

Likes (Received): 0

Any Ideas if they will rebuild the Ottomon Fortress?
Segun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #5412
GulfArabia

Quote:
no I don't try and know what it's all about all I want to know is this pilgrimage has been going on for a long time....you say 20 million visit...ok ....all I was getting at is where did they all stay before this was built ? and from the pics the surrounding areas are not very ???? modern by comparison.
they demolished over 1003 buildings to make way for new larges buildings, + the new expansion of the mosque

BEFORE

AFTER

Old September 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #5413
droneriot
Urban Hermit

redbaron, the number of pilgrims greatly increased in the past couple of decades because transportation became more widely and cheaply available, allowing more Muslims to embark on a journey to Mecca. The number of airports increased, and flying in general became cheaper, making the trip far more easily available for Muslims that live far away from Mecca, in Indonesia or Bangladesh for example. Due to these advances, improvement in infrastructure (more airports worldwide) and technological advances leading to cheaper flight, Mecca has to greatly expand its facilities because there'll be more people coming. That's why there's this plethora of recent new megaprojects in Mecca. Understand it now?
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5414
womfalcs3

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
redbaron, the number of pilgrims greatly increased in the past couple of decades because transportation became more widely and cheaply available, allowing more Muslims to embark on a journey to Mecca. The number of airports increased, and flying in general became cheaper, making the trip far more easily available for Muslims that live far away from Mecca, in Indonesia or Bangladesh for example. Due to these advances, improvement in infrastructure (more airports worldwide) and technological advances leading to cheaper flight, Mecca has to greatly expand its facilities because there'll be more people coming. That's why there's this plethora of recent new megaprojects in Mecca. Understand it now?
Also because of the rapid population growth.

In 2000, the Muslim population was around 1 billion people. In 2009, the Pew Research Forum put the figure at 1.6 billion people.

A 60% increase in just 9 years.
womfalcs3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5415
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Yep, the muslim population is rapidly increasing and the ability of muslims worldwide to travel is increasing, so anyone can imagine that if Mecca doesn't rapidly increase its facilities and infrastructure accordingly it's gonna be swamped.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5416
roro987
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

i like this building, but around of this tower is ver horrible!!!
roro987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #5417
GulfArabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro987 View Post
i like this building, but around of this tower is ver horrible!!!
the city is in a valley, lots of hills and mountains, most of the roads are underground tunnels.
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5418
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6942

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1 View Post
Waqf dosen't translate into "donation" , but rather "endowment" .
the sign is a temporary one as we can see here , the real one will be installed later , I guess they rushed to put this fake sign because the king is spending the last 10 days of ramadan literally in the palace next to the Tower , they wanted to please him or show off or something .
Ok, thanks for correction (english is not my favourite language).

Is that right, that those buidings can host 80,000 pilgrims ?

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #5419
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

a picture from last night (climax of Ramadan)

source : Arab News
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5420
VRS

Likes (Received): 11519

superior picture
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia