daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #6221
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkawi.Pk View Post
Yup
But why wait when I have a 3.2 MP with 0x zoom mobile cam

I've taken one at maghrib time which is a whole lot clear-er than my previous ones.
are you gonna talk or will you post it too?
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #6222
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by GulfArabia; November 10th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #6223
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

That story belongs somewhere else. I do not care to read about anything but the construction of this tower.

Will the top of the spire be placed by helicopter, or lifted by cranes?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #6224
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

probably will be placed piece by piece by a crane and manpower.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #6225
Tom Tom
The Scientist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CainanUK View Post
I'm sorry, but I fond this entire building rather vulgar. Mecca is one of the great holy sites of the world. I cant see The Vatican being dominated by a 2000 foot monstrosity right next door. This whole project is hideous.
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #6226
GulfArabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
This is not the Vatican, this city is not a giant museum for you, 4 million Muslims come here to practice their faith and they need a place to stay, not statues and pretty small buildings. Stop comparing the Vatican is nothing like Makkah
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #6227
tesseract
blackhat architect

Likes (Received): 1257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post
Inside Abraj al Bait

i expected something way more elegant for the interior. no offense, but this looks rather like a cheap suburban mall.
tesseract no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #6228
GulfArabia

the hotel is better than the mall, i was disappointed too, but like i said before, its more about serving the ppl there, (convenience...) to the pilgrims (comes first). its not a tourist destination.
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #6229
GulfArabia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
M.A.C.?
Isn't that against something or another?
why should it be ? there are many international and other domestic brands here, muslims do come from all over the world, even america. we only boycot what islam forbids & as well as israeli products.

Last edited by GulfArabia; November 10th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #6230
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Likes (Received): 26342

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post
i expected something way more elegant for the interior. no offense, but this looks rather like a cheap suburban mall.
Abraj al Bait is not only the clock tower...there's this commercial center in a other building of Abraj al bait.

Makkah clock Royal tower is more elegant

Roukaya19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #6231
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

I agree that we shouldn't compare this to the Vatican, however that being said, it just seems wrong to place such a dominate structure, hiding the more historic (and I'm sure religiously significant) buildings. It's great for the people of muslim faith that they have something like this, but it always leaves me with a sick feeling in my stomach. Also, I personally find this building a mishmash of odd buildings. Perhaps just the big clock tower would have looked better and less...overwhelming. Anyways, I look forward to seeing more pics upon completion!
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #6232
GulfArabia

we muslims don't worship buildings, the only "religiously significant building in makkah" is the black cube known as the "Kaa'ba".

everything around the current mosque was built int he 80's, and they are being demolished now, this "rebuilding" the central area has been going since forever. because unlike the vatican, the faithful come to Makkah to actually practice their faith, and not look around.

this is a real photo (not render) of the main lobby of one of the hotels in this complex:

Quote:
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #6233
MattToronto
Less is More

I won't get into a debate, but the "looking around" aspect of the Vatican is half of the faith right there. Making the trip to see the where it all goes down, to some extent. Religions are different, and I'm always happy to learn more about each one, so thank you!
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #6234
GulfArabia

check out the tiles of the mall, they are lined to face the kaa'ba (which is tricky if you live in makkah, its like u having a compass in the middle of the north pole :p )
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #6235
MattToronto
Less is More

What tiles exactly?
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #6236
GulfArabia

the straight lines on the floor
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #6237
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

see the lines in every floor of this mall?
it is facing the Kaaba. it is tricky to draw it because Kaaba is so close that the lines itself are arcs.

abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #6238
MattToronto
Less is More

Oh cool, nice touch.
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #6239
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Likes (Received): 26342

Timekeeper of Muslim world

image hosted on flickr

The Makkah Tower Clock is seen at the background of the Kaaba.
By ARAB NEWS

Published: Nov 10, 2010

MAKKAH: A giant clock on a skyscraper in Islam’s holiest city Makkah began ticking at the start of last Ramadan, amid hopes it will become the Muslim world’s official timekeeper. The Makkah Clock, which is considered the world’s largest, has four faces measuring 43 meters in diameter.

It sits 400 meters up what will be the world’s second-tallest skyscraper and largest hotel, overlooking the city’s Grand Mosque, which Muslims around the world turn to five times a day for prayer. “The Makkah Clock started with the order of King Abdullah ... one minute after midnight on the first day of the holy month of Ramadan 1431H,” the Saudi Press Agency said.

Over 90 million pieces of colored glass mosaic embellish the sides of the clock, which has four faces each bearing a large inscription of the name “Allah”. It is visible from all corners of the city, the state news agency said.

The clock tower is the landmark feature of the seven-tower King Abdulaziz Endowment hotel complex, being built by the Saudi Binladin Group, which will have the largest floor area of any building in the world when it is complete. The residential tower is estimated to cost $3 billion.

The clock is positioned on a 601-meter tower, which will become the second tallest inhabited building in the world. “Because of its position in front of the Grand Mosque the whole Islamic world will refer to Makkah time instead of Greenwich. The Makkah Clock will become a symbol for all Muslims,” said Hashim Adnan, a resident of Jeddah.

The project is part of efforts to modernize the holy city and make it more capable of catering to pilgrims. Around two million Muslims visit the city each year for the annual Haj pilgrimage, a once-in-a-lifetime requirement for able-bodied Muslims, and 3.5 million pilgrims visit Makkah at other times of the year.

The Makkah Clock Royal Tower is the most prestigious hotel in the Middle East. The extensive project, called Abraj Al-Bait, features a five-star Fairmont hotel with over 1,000 guestrooms. The complex also includes a selection of residential offerings as well as retail space, restaurants and extensive convention facilities.

The hotel is the focal point of the iconic Abraj Al-Bait Complex, which is part of the King Abdul Aziz Endowment Project, whose mandate it is to upgrade the precincts of the Two Holy Mosques.

The complex includes seven towers with a total floor space of 15.6 million square feet and is adjacent to the Grand Mosque. The property joins Fairmont’s worldwide collection of iconic luxury hotels and is an addition to the company’s Middle East and Africa portfolio.

The hotel, a 76-story tower at 577 meters high, will be among the world’s tallest and its unique and distinctive features will ensure a landmark presence.

Many scholars are of the opinion that Makkah Time can — being located in the center of the world — provide the world an alternative to the GMT. At a conference in Doha in 2008, Muslim scholars presented “scientific” arguments that Makkah time is the true global meridian. They said that Makkah is the center of the world.

Putting Makkah time in the face of Greenwich Mean Time, this is the goal,” said Mohammed Al-Arkubi, general manager of Royal Makkah Tower Hotel.

The Royal Clock is sitting atop the central tower in the Abraj Al-Bait Project, 50 meters opposite the Grand Mosque in Makkah. The clock will be visible from 17 km away at night and 11 to 12 km away during the day. A German-owned company, Premiere Composite Technologies, has designed the clock.

Sources said that the world’s largest clock — six times larger than London’s Big Ben — the project includes a Lunar Observation Center and an Islamic Museum. While the Royal Clock will announce daily prayers, the Lunar Observation Center and Islamic Museum will serve to protect the heritage for future generations. The observatory will also be used to sight the moon during the holy months. On special occasions, 16 bands of vertical lights will shoot some 10 km up into the sky.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/haj_...icle185759.ece
Roukaya19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6240
ibib

Likes (Received): 2894

From the storm last week

Recent

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia