daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:25 AM   #6661
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

did not it take thousands to surpass the Pyramids?
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:26 AM   #6662
abumuhannadh

Likes (Received): 1

'asyiqul^hoor, you are the best

thanks for the images.
abumuhannadh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:36 AM   #6663
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8077

Wow, I'd never seen such street level pictures of Mecca before. It was actually quite interesting.

Wichtige Änderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:21 AM   #6664
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Likes (Received): 26342

Jazakallahu khairan 'asyiqul^huur for all your work

Very nice pics! Very interesting up date!

This tunnel doesn't look like it going to work soon...

Roukaya19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #6665
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I love this building, it's ugly as hell, but it's in the category of mastodons that just impress by their presence, it's basically telling us it's here to chew gum and kick ass, but it's all out of gum.

thank you Asiqul for providing such close insights into the lower parts of the towers, something few of us could see.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM   #6666
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

As is the case with most mosques, the sophistication of the architectural detailing on these towers is quite amazing. They obviously spared no expense.

However, the cluster is packed together too tight for my taste. I would have preferred they put a bit more space in between these otherwise impressive towers.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #6667
minba
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttie View Post
Las Vegas has copied Islamic Architecture, not the other way around.
Are you stupid, you ignorant fool
minba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #6668
earthbuilder
MagnaCarta/HolyGrail

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk View Post
I love this building, it's ugly as hell, but it's in the category of mastodons that just impress by their presence, it's basically telling us it's here to chew gum and kick ass, but it's all out of gum.

thank you Asiqul for providing such close insights into the lower parts of the towers, something few of us could see.
you took the words out of my mouth. I like that they build something, different. It has a art deco kinda look. But i can't stand the design
earthbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #6669
Makkawi.Pk
EZ

Likes (Received): 1174

Asyiqul^huur's pics
Why they added the beams to the spire crane? was it falling or did they realise after months that it couldn't stand the winds???
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #6670
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

Quote:
Originally Posted by max17495 View Post
For all those talkin about it being bigger than big ben, it took you long enough didnt it? over 150 years later
At least Big Ben isn't tacky
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM   #6671
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad
Sapphire

Likes (Received): 6164

Nice updates.....

Whats' the completion date of the whole complex???
Ahmad Rashid Ahmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #6672
Mom44
it's OK

Likes (Received): 25

Very Great Design clock !!

I prefer it more than Big Ben !!

Give Mecca 2 years only
and you will see !!
Mom44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM   #6673
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkawi.Pk View Post
Asyiqul^huur's pics
Why they added the beams to the spire crane? was it falling or did they realise after months that it couldn't stand the winds???
All tower cranes are braced once the tower exceeds a certain height. look at the other cranes on this building and you will see it as well. The bracing on this one is especially massive because it stands so far from the building it is attached to.
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6674
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

I find this to be a very interesting project and I've enjoyed watching its construction, but I really just don't like it. I find it to be far too hulking and overpowering for its location. Then again, I've never been a fan of cities building one supertall to loom over a sea of lowrises (Taipei comes to mind).

All that having been said, this is a fun project to follow and I'm interested to see if Mecca constructs more, similarly-scaled structures in the future.
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:08 AM   #6675
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3086

I've followed this thread fairly closely for some time now but I have never seen anyone give an adequate explanation of why this building suddenly turned into a clocktower at quite a late stage in its execution. The earlier renders did bear more than a passing resemblance to the Moscow skyscrapers of the Stalin era - as was pointed out by several people, including myself, and I wonder if the change was a response to that realisation. After all, it wouldn't do for the holiest shrine in Islam to be dominated by a symbol of Soviet atheism.

If this was an attempt to outdo Big Ben then it is a little late in the day. Big Ben's clockface was surpassed in size by that of the Royal Liver Building in Liverpool as far back as 1911 and really, since then, few people have been interested in building new clocktowers. The reason is that they are an anachronism. The advent of wrist watches and radio time checks meant that large civic clocks were no longer required. (Big Ben was in its heyday an important means of checking time and the authorities went to the length of publishing sound maps of London so that people could find out how long the sound of the clock chimes had taken to reach them).

The idea that the meuzzins (?) would need a clock to tell them what time to start their calls to prayer is a little far fetched. First of all, it might be pointed out that they have done perfectly OK for the last fifteen centuries but if there is a need for them to be 'as accurate as modern technology will allow' then there are much more effective and far cheaper ways of doing that. In fact, I would expect that from the level of the Kaaba, parallax between the hands and the clockface would make reading the time accurately fairly difficult.

As for the clock being used as a reference for worshippers in the surrounding area, that doesn't sound too plausible. The problem is that in any built up city, tall buildings are very difficult to see. Some years ago, I walked around the City of London trying to locate the Swiss Re tower. Even though the prevailing building height is only around eight storeys, you would only get the occasional glimpse of the building right until you were close up to it.

So, I wonder how many people are ever going to use the Mecca clocktower to check the time?
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:46 AM   #6676
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

That was perhaps the most intense over-analysis of anything I've ever witnessed.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:25 AM   #6677
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I've followed this thread fairly closely for some time now but I have never seen anyone give an adequate explanation of why this building suddenly turned into a clocktower at quite a late stage in its execution. The earlier renders did bear more than a passing resemblance to the Moscow skyscrapers of the Stalin era - as was pointed out by several people, including myself, and I wonder if the change was a response to that realisation. After all, it wouldn't do for the holiest shrine in Islam to be dominated by a symbol of Soviet atheism.

If this was an attempt to outdo Big Ben then it is a little late in the day. Big Ben's clockface was surpassed in size by that of the Royal Liver Building in Liverpool as far back as 1911 and really, since then, few people have been interested in building new clocktowers. The reason is that they are an anachronism. The advent of wrist watches and radio time checks meant that large civic clocks were no longer required. (Big Ben was in its heyday an important means of checking time and the authorities went to the length of publishing sound maps of London so that people could find out how long the sound of the clock chimes had taken to reach them).

The idea that the meuzzins (?) would need a clock to tell them what time to start their calls to prayer is a little far fetched. First of all, it might be pointed out that they have done perfectly OK for the last fifteen centuries but if there is a need for them to be 'as accurate as modern technology will allow' then there are much more effective and far cheaper ways of doing that. In fact, I would expect that from the level of the Kaaba, parallax between the hands and the clockface would make reading the time accurately fairly difficult.

As for the clock being used as a reference for worshippers in the surrounding area, that doesn't sound too plausible. The problem is that in any built up city, tall buildings are very difficult to see. Some years ago, I walked around the City of London trying to locate the Swiss Re tower. Even though the prevailing building height is only around eight storeys, you would only get the occasional glimpse of the building right until you were close up to it.

So, I wonder how many people are ever going to use the Mecca clocktower to check the time?
At 600 Meters this Tower will never be difficult to see
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM   #6678
MysticMcGoo
Blue Collar Bigwig

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
At least 2 or 3

"The Fascists of the future will be Anti-Fascists". Winston Churchill

"The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history." -Hegel

.....................::::::::::::::::::::::::........................

My July 2012 North American Road trip!
MysticMcGoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 04:50 AM   #6679
Roukaya19
Makkah Reporter

Likes (Received): 26342

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMcGoo View Post
At least 2 or 3
At least 2 or 3 millions
Roukaya19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 06:51 AM   #6680
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Rashid Ahmad View Post
Nice updates.....

Whats' the completion date of the whole complex???

date of completion: mid-2011

the 601 metre (1,972 feet) Abraj Al-Bait Towers opens in Mecca mid-2011

source : http://www.ausbt.com.au/hong-kong-to...hotel-in-march
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia