daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2007, 07:37 AM   #681
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

ur feelings are not important if it doesn't contradict the Islamic beliefs.

Beside Historical importance there is no religious significance to those old sites. Who cares about history if it prevents worshipers from achieving their religious duties?

The rest of the article is an aggregated bullshit.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:16 AM   #682
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
Beside Historical importance there is no religious significance to those old sites.
Firstly, religious importance is dependent on interpretation. There is no significance if you are wahabi I suppose. While religious importance can be debated, this is not necessarily about religion only. Being an architecture related forum, one needs to ask the role of architecture with respect to engaging a culture, which has history and responsibility to that history.

Quote:
Who cares about history if it prevents worshipers from achieving their religious duties?
What are you talking about? If the pilgrimage goes to 10 million from the 2-3 million now, these monstrosities will not allow any further expansion of the compound. You may recall that not too long ago, there were only ~200,000 coming. The world is changing, and it is quite possible that more could come in the future.

Quote:
The rest of the article is an aggregated bullshit.
That is hardly an intelligent response. If you are so against the article, you should respond paragraph by paragraph.

Your comments about history being unimportant are barbaric, and reinforce the point in the article that states that the same money that funded the taleban to destroy the Afghan Buddhas is funding this desecration. Your comments are precisely what is so shameful. You confirm that what the taleban was doing, destroying history, was acceptable, because it was contrary to wahabi interpretation! Shame on you man!
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:40 AM   #683
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Allah told me in a dream that he doesn't approve of the clock then Mohammad appeared and said "the clock will be no more."

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM   #684
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
Shame on you man!
Shame on u for not knowing what ur talking about

you are directing the topic to thing that aren't related to what I said. No need to get emotional and start assuming things and call names.

Last edited by smussuw; August 31st, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:23 AM   #685
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Could someone answer me this.
I understand the terrain is less than ideal but if they're so caught for space, why don't they build a metro and build outwards?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM   #686
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

No brain

Mecca could have been one of the best organized cities for obvious reasons.
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM   #687
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
No brain
What's that supposed to mean?
I don't know what you mean by "obvious reasons" since I don't know much about Mecca's history. Care to explain or else give some links?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:57 PM   #688
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

No one here cares of updates or the project its self.

I wonder why Admins did not stop this useless arguement or at least did not close this topic completely. Maybe cause the admin does not like this project and I had an arguement with him before about it?

I hope the admin to prove that he is fair enough and gives general warning to all to be stuck to the main topic which is the skyscraper its self.
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM   #689
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Could someone answer me this.
I understand the terrain is less than ideal but if they're so caught for space, why don't they build a metro and build outwards?
Actually they are working on this. There's an area called Aziziyah and there's alot going on there. But the demand on units that overlook the grand mosque is very high. Part of it two is that the people who live within the proximity of the mosque can actually pary along with the people in the mosque.

The mosque has always been surrounded by highrise buildings.. Abraj Al Bait is just higher and it serves the purpose of housing the worshippers and the pilgrims better. Also, the project is technically an expansion to the mosque since it will have designated prayer areas for 150,000 people.

On top of all of that, the project is an endowment for the mosque itself. All the generated profit will go to the maintenance and development of the mosque..
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM   #690
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Now looking at it, I just realised the main tower look like the enlarged version of ESB

Anyway is this building entirely a hotel?

If that the case it will be the world tallest hotel, Even Las Vegas Crown can snatch away from it

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM   #691
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody69 View Post
Hmmmmmmm maybe the Arabs are wankers...but do you know why??
because they're watching your mom!!
about the death story I cracked my self...it looks as if the arabs are your worst nightmares!!maybe you should read something about "Dramatic ways to kill" to bring your dream to reality."but it still dream"
just small advice from me:
don't try ever to insult anyone by his ethnicity,because this just gonna prove one thing,that you're such a loser (Im trying to be polite with you because you seem to be under age)
finally:
If you don't like arabs,so why you're in Dubai?? or maybe it's your "mother land", just like "Bradford" for you guyz
hmmm i seem to have touched a few nerves. now let me justify myself. i wasnt insulting the whole arab population. i was "cursing" the ones that plan these developments. i admit, the death curse was a bit too far so i apologise for that.
secondly, as much as i am against these developments, i cant do anything about them. but it wont stop me about expressing how i feel about them. these developments were going to happen, are happening, and will happen cuz it is a sign of qayamah (judgement day).
however, what really annoys me off is how the arabs are destroying islamic landmarks. i dont know whether ur muslim or not but wudnt u be pissed if u see all important landmarks of ur religion being detroyed?! i still havnt had the chance to see the landmarks and now, i probably never will.

Last edited by zee; August 31st, 2007 at 07:17 PM.
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:36 PM   #692
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

I think it's more for the Arabs to determine what constitutes a landmark worth saving than for a group of Westerners to do it. I'm not sure that what the Saudis are doing equates in any way to Bamiyan.

The endowment aspect of this project increases its value.

I think this thing is beautiful. It's a fitting project for this location.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:14 PM   #693
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobalizer View Post
I think it's more for the Arabs to determine what constitutes a landmark worth saving than for a group of Westerners to do it. I'm not sure that what the Saudis are doing equates in any way to Bamiyan.
Actually, my comments as characterized by those in the article, were not as much from being a Westerner, but rather from being a Muslim. The things being destroyed are partially cultural, but are also of historical religious importance. Many of these are in the same realm for the broader Muslim traditions as Bamiyan. The only thing is, because these are inside Saudi, and Saudi's follow Wahabism as part of their theocracy / government, we seem to be turning a blind eye.
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:35 PM   #694
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
I think this thing is beautiful. It's a fitting project for this location.
Yeah, it's great. Just shows you can put some befitting detail on even large-scale modern projects, and it does make a difference
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:39 PM   #695
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

and great to see it is rising really fast.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:29 PM   #696
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
Actually, my comments as characterized by those in the article, were not as much from being a Westerner, but rather from being a Muslim. The things being destroyed are partially cultural, but are also of historical religious importance. Many of these are in the same realm for the broader Muslim traditions as Bamiyan. The only thing is, because these are inside Saudi, and Saudi's follow Wahabism as part of their theocracy / government, we seem to be turning a blind eye.
And my comments weren't directed at you specifically, to be clear.

I just feel that the Saudis should, and will, make the ultimate decisions.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #697
walli
BANNED

Quote:
I just feel that the Saudis should, and will, make the ultimate decisions.
Ah - and that is where the Bahmiyan parallel works, because the Taleban were the de facto government of Afghanistan at the time they destroyed the Buddha statues. Based on the comment above, you're alright with that. Make no mistake, the Saudis are not representatives of Muslims no matter how one cuts it.

Anyway - while some may have gotten annoyed with this discussion, I hope all realize that it is absolutely relevant to these buildings, as these discussions are integral to pillars of Islamic architecture, as well as architecture in general. These precedents could also be used some day on things of central importance to other faiths also. Putting the shoe on the other foot is often times helpful to understand another's concern.
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:52 AM   #698
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

this building is weird looking.....
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM   #699
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

17 Aug 2007
image hosted on flickr