daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #861
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

Where is it in the Quran or the Sunna that says that this shouldn't be permitted?
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #862
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

It may not say so in any book but you don't need to read out of a book for common sense.

I am just surprised some are nonchalant about desecrating supposedly important sites. But hey, its your heritage even if you don't want to treat it as so...
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #863
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
It may not say so in any book but you don't need to read out of a book for common sense.

I am just surprised some are nonchalant about desecrating supposedly important sites. But hey, its your heritage even if you don't want to treat it as so...
Actually common sense would entail you to build HIGH very HIGH in Mecca since every square foot of land is perhaps one of the most expensive the world over.

The other thing is building HIGH and Massive in Mecca is not against the religion and culture of the region.

But I think many Muslims would agree that it would have been a better idea to build all this in the outskirts of the city..

Call it something like New Mecca City? and build whatever you want over there and have a subway that would connect to the Grand Mosque..
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #864
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT* View Post
Actually common sense would entail you to build HIGH very HIGH in Mecca since every square foot of land is perhaps one of the most expensive the world over.

The other thing is building HIGH and Massive in Mecca is not against the religion and culture of the region.

But I think many Muslims would agree that it would have been a better idea to build all this in the outskirts of the city..

Call it something like New Mecca City? and build whatever you want over there and have a subway that would connect to the Grand Mosque..
thats it
Something like "New Mecca" with many towers etc would have been better

Here the old and new fights for the "centre".

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #865
asif iqbal

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
Where is it in the Quran or the Sunna that says that this shouldn't be permitted?
This is what I would expect if I had a lower IQ, your ridiculous comment isnt even worth a answer
asif iqbal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #866
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
thats it

I just hope the expansion is enough, but remember they need to add floors ontop of the marbled area. Perhaps add 7 floors?, There's 3 Floors already and perhaps the outer area can have 7? where today you find the open marble area?
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #867
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif iqbal View Post
This is what I would expect if I had a lower IQ, your ridiculous comment isnt even worth a answer
similar to ur smart comments about Bahrain?
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #868
asif iqbal

Quote:

That is actully a better suggestion, why cant they make a actual city on the outskirts of the city made specificaly for this purpose, link it to the Grand Mosque in Mecca and have transport to move to and from the mosque and a city.

Building higher isnt the answer, using a bit of common sense and constructing something practical would be of better use and conveinient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
thats it

hmmmm naaa New Mecca doesnt sound good theres only one Mecca maybe they can call it kind of residential city or something but a grand idea!
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #869
asif iqbal

Quote:
similar to ur smart comments about Bahrain?
which happen to be TRUE!
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #870
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

I would've preferred if they haven't demolished any of those historical sites but saying odd reasons like this tower is too dominating has nothing to do with Islam.
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #871
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:

I understand the land premiums and land crunch in and around the city and your solution is something I had in mind as a solution. Something that alleviates the problem while still paying deference and homage to the Mosque and not by putting an overbearing characture looming over it.
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #872
asif iqbal

that is a good thought, we should really think of something like this and make some sort of city on the outskirts and like someone said link it via subway!

is it possible for madina also? have a airport and transit point close to mecca and madina make it more efficient so more pilgrims can come for hajj, saudi authoritys do great job during hajj time of that there is no doubt but population is growing and more and more people will want to attend hajj as more people get richer in Asia etc

not anyone can afford to live in such high class hotels, the rich are only thinking about themselves we need to make something for the type of people who come from far places africa and asia who cant afford much something practical for the majority

making such large expensive structure in my opinion wont change the rush so much, its a place for the rich average person wont be able to afford to stay in there the poor people save money whole lifetime to come to gods house expensive hotel booking is last thing they would want
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #873
RealVooDoo

Likes (Received): 980

Quote:
I would've preferred if they haven't demolished any of those historical sites but saying odd reasons like this tower is too dominating has nothing to do with Islam.
Probably you never noticed it before, but this is a website about architecture and not about islam

Anyway, this building looks enormous now that is sorrounded by "normal" houses, but in a few years, when other dozens of towers in the area will reached the 200m, probably it will look different
RealVooDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #874
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattberserk View Post
You need to let us know whether is the new proposed height over 600m
hmmmm what to say, what to say....Ok, still not final or official but yes yes it is supposed to be over than 600 M height inshallah (God willing)
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #875
HeavenlySword
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I think MECCA will have a hotel boom in future.
HeavenlySword no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #876
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

i'm sure it will look much better in reality than on the renders we saw.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM   #877
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaM1981 View Post
hmmmm what to say, what to say....Ok, still not final or official but yes yes it is supposed to be over than 600 M height inshallah (God willing)
Great den, It will be classified as one of the hypertall or something haha

Anyway why do they keep increasing height? Was it because they are earning more and more revenue?

If this keep going higher and higher by the time this tower finish we may have a 700m+ structure on Mecca

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:04 AM   #878
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOL2007 View Post
Maybe it will look in real life better when finished but in the render it is way too big compared to the surrouding buildings... looks strange
I've noticed the renderings for alot of skyscrapers are not a good looking as the real thing. There are a few skyscrapers I thought looked horrible with the renderings but came out fantastic in real life. I just hope they get rid of the stupid clock before it's too late.

As for the people thinking it looks out of place or it's wrong to have something so close to the kabaa, I have a feeling people have often felt uneasy for anything being built close to the kabaa. Someone could argue that putting a electricity near the kabaa is a sin, or using electric lighting compared to torches was shameful. I even noticed there are some buildings around the area that are at least 10 stories tall, I bet people objected to those too. I think this building only adds value to the area and I notice religious people seem to think anything to do with signs of wealth is sinful but the reality is that getting to Mecca isn't free and you're gonna spend money when you get there. I'm not a religious person but I'll have to find a way to see this place someday even if I have to fake being Muslim.

Last edited by FM 2258; October 1st, 2007 at 07:12 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:37 AM   #879
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattberserk View Post
If this keep going higher and higher by the time this tower finish we may have a 700m+ structure on Mecca
Be sure that it will never be 700M+ at all but yes It is supposed to be 600M+ inshallah (God willing)
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM   #880
Tulsa

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaM1981 View Post
New render:

In my opinion, in not too distant future the grand Mosque will be surrounded by multiples of 500m+ and numerous 200m+ skyscrapers and the grand Mosque itself shall be vertically expanded (to 15-storey perhaps).

The number of annual haj pilgrims would have more than quadrupled to exceed 10 million by then.

For visitors to Mecca, those skyscrapers are nothing more than what they are...tall buildings. The Kaaba will remain as the centre of attraction.
Tulsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia