daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1101
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadhi View Post
and how's that related to Abraj Al Bait?
I was responding quite directly to a question on how such a massive building will be maintained. The question from Torch, and my response to it, were both quite straight forward. I'm surprised by your confusion.

walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM   #1102
suri_maw2020

Likes (Received): 0

World Tallest Building to rise in KSA-Jeddah

By suri_maw2020 at 2007-10-22
suri_maw2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1103
The Sage
I want my LBT

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by velut arbor aevo View Post
I don't find anything tasteless on this building, actually, I really like this building, with its heavy islamic influence and style.
A little restraint goes a long way.
The Sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1104
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
I was responding quite directly to a question on how such a massive building will be maintained. The question from Torch, and my response to it, were both quite straight forward. I'm surprised by your confusion.
It was not a direct responce since you could just say that almost over than 1500 workers are just for cleaning this project but you do not know this information so you was supposed just to be quite instead of suggesting things as you did about the abuse of workers. Even if there is real abuse then how could you know about this project? Please stop acting dumb. We all know what you are trying to say.

Be far from Saudi Arabia please which is giving you visa for hajj if you want to do it and has a favour on you and on most of people from your country and you know what I mean very well since it is clear where you are from originally.

People from your country (the origin/the roots) are millions working in Saudi arabia so it has a favour on you and many of your relatives/friends/family.

As we say in arabic countries "You are like the cat, eats and denys the favour"

This country has a favour on most of all muslims by extentsion of the holy mosques and the high effort they spend to invite people like you for hajj and umrah.

Note: I am not saudi ok? just to do not think that am saying that cause it is my country or to beg someone. I just like the truth and I hate denying the favour.

Wake up!! and if you hate it, do not go to it or even perform Hajj/Umrah in it and tell Allah "Sorry I did not like makkah or madinah cause they look so modern and I don't want to perform hajj/umrah in modern city" lol
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM   #1105
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Walli: It's probably time to stop looking for reasons to criticize this and the Saudi regime.

As much as anyone would agree or disagree with what you're saying, it really has very little to do with this building, and other threads are available for that purpose.

Personally, I don't want to come on here every day and read a page and a half of debate on employment practices or historical preservation in Saudi Arabia. I can do that elsewhere. You've made your points, so let's move on with the discussion of the construction and its progress.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1106
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaM1981 View Post
... most of people from your country and you know what I mean very well since it is clear where you are from originally.

People from your country (the origin/the roots) are millions working in Saudi arabia so it has a favour on you and many of your relatives/friends/family.

As we say in arabic countries "You are like the cat, eats and denys the favour"
LOL! I'm from North America. It seems you're talking about things of which you are not aware.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1107
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobalizer View Post
You've made your points, so let's move on with the discussion of the construction and its progress.
With respect to the worker abuse issues, it was only one response post of a couple lines. You guys really should develop a little more tolerance!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1108
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

I just want to know how they would build such an enormous building. I mean, at 1 mile up the air begins to chill and thin out. Working would be a pain!
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1109
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Funny, people have managed to build entire cities 1+ mile up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_paz (2+ miles)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver,_Colorado (1 mile)
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1110
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
With respect to the worker abuse issues, it was only one response post of a couple lines. You guys really should develop a little more tolerance!
hahahaha this is really ironic that you talk about tolerance!

Did you know that 51 out of your 512 posts, that's 10%, were mainly bashing the Saudis with regard to this project? -I didn't count the tons of deleted posts-

The mods were tolerent enough to open a special thread for you to post all of your political crap and yet you came back to ruin this thread again.

Sorry but but you seem like a hatred troll to me.... so please don't tell us how to be tolerent!!!
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM   #1111
Cidade_Branca
Architect

Likes (Received): 1891

It's very interesting this brothership between this two buildings.
Cidade_Branca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:48 AM   #1112
walli
BANNED

Quote:
hahahaha this is really ironic that you talk about tolerance!

Did you know that 51 out of your 512 posts, that's 10%, were mainly bashing the Saudis with regard to this project? -I didn't count the tons of deleted posts-

The mods were tolerent enough to open a special thread for you to post all of your political crap and yet you came back to ruin this thread again.

Sorry but but you seem like a hatred troll to me.... so please don't tell us how to be tolerent!!!
This was strictly about the question of maintenance and cleaning of the building - it had nothing to do with politics and the discussions of the other thread. You jumped on me after my first response regarding this subject of maintenance and cleaning. I would not have had any other posts on the matter without your subsequent pointless and misconstrued posts.

BTW - your prior post was vicious and extremely rude to the foreign workers in your lands. Now that is something the mods should really have a close look at.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:30 AM   #1113
Riyadhi

That's Torch's post,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
This is really a massive building!
I can't imagine how many janitors they must have, or how long it takes to visit every single room.
He was asking a technical question about how many janitor's it would take to take care of such massive building....

And this is your hatred post,
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Saudi's use the Hajj for recruiting. They have a terrible record for foreign worker / slave abuse!

Click below for a related article:
State of workers in Saudi Arabia

As you see, keeping this thing clean will not be an issue for them.
do you see how you turn it into politics...!!
it's obvious that your posts are driven by your hate towards the Saudis.
on top of all the saudis using hajj for recuriting is bull shit. we actually try to solove the problem of pilgrims who come for hajj and never go back home!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM   #1114
Cafetėro
Solo actitud!!!

Likes (Received): 295

wow, what a beautiful building and the islamic influence in the structure is amaizing.. i wanna go there
Cafetėro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:42 AM   #1115
Riyadhi

Quote:

BTW - your prior post was vicious and extremely rude to the foreign workers in your lands. Now that is something the mods should really have a close look at.
which post??
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #1116
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

i think its an ugly building
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #1117
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Throughout SkyscraperCity people make comments about how one building resembles another, even if the resemblance is very faint or tenuous ... but the Abraj Al-Bait and the one (pictured above) in Moscow, Russia is uncanny. They really look alike.
On the positive side I like the "arabic" designs and details which pays homage to the typical traditional architecture of the region.
On the other hand, the photo of one of the interiors caused me to giggle. Now I know ideas about what constitutes "good taste" varies in differant countries and differant cultures ... but that room was really garish, ostentatious, tawdry and tacky. Tacky - probably the best word. This was a style that was briefly popular in Las Vegas and Miami Beach in the late 1950's ... and even then was considered of questionable taste. I think the interior decorators did an awful job; trying to make the room "elegant" but ending up with a cheap and cheesy result and looking like a brothel in Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore. Haven't these "decorators" ever stayed in the Presidential Suite of a 5 star Hotel like the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton???
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:11 AM   #1118
walli
BANNED

Quote:
which post??
Sorry - it was DreaM1981 with the rudeness in his post.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:12 AM   #1119
walli
BANNED

Quote:
That's Torch's post,

He was asking a technical question about how many janitor's it would take to take care of such massive building....

And this is your hatred post,

do you see how you turn it into politics...!!
it's obvious that your posts are driven by your hate towards the Saudis.
on top of all the saudis using hajj for recuriting is bull shit. we actually try to solove the problem of pilgrims who come for hajj and never go back home!
Stop wasting our time Riyadhi. If you don't have anything to say about the building (or how it will get cleaned), don't post.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:18 AM   #1120
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
that room was really garish, ostentatious, tawdry and tacky. Tacky - probably the best word. This was a style that was briefly popular in Las Vegas and Miami Beach in the late 1950's ... and even then was considered of questionable taste. I think the interior decorators did an awful job; trying to make the room "elegant" but ending up with a cheap and cheesy result and looking like a brothel in Hong Kong, Bangkok or Singapore.
I'd have to say I agree with you. There is a real need to come into the 20th century with the design details, and not chase prior periods from other regions.

You've made an interesting parallel ...

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia