daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #1281
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

entrance to the mall looks nice!

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #1282
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
Whats your problem? He can mention it 1000 times if he wants to.
I seriously doubt The Lord is concerned with the progress of modern construction sites. I doubt He would be willing or not willing whether this building is 600m or not. Wali did make a good point. If Dream does want to mention God, it doesn't bother me at all. At least he gives us good information on this project.

Does anybody know how if there will be an observatory and restaurant on this huge building? If so any guesses how high they will be?

Thanks guys.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1283
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

This builing would look far more islamic with a digital clock at the top!
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #1284
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobalizer View Post
"Middle Eastern" or "Arabian" is probably a more apt descriptor.
Thank-you. That makes more sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
Does anybody know how if there will be an observatory and restaurant on this huge building? If so any guesses how high they will be?
Someone had mentioned that there will be an observation deck, but I don't recall reading anything about a restaurant. Some people have mentioned that they have the ability to look at drawings - could one of those folks answer the questions, particularly with respect to exactly how high the observation deck will be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post
This builing would look far more islamic with a digital clock at the top!
I hope that was sarcasm. Very funny.

Last edited by walli; November 13th, 2007 at 02:36 AM.
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #1285
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

I'm not so sure I like the clock on top. At least no one in the city can ask, "What time is it."
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #1286
Dubrovnik
Architectural Digest

Likes (Received): 2584

Where are the pics?
Dubrovnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #1287
DreaM1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
I seriously doubt The Lord is concerned with the progress of modern construction sites. I doubt He would be willing or not willing whether this building is 600m or not.
In Islam, Allah has willing for anything does not matter small or big. Even the sins, Allah does not like them but he allows you to do it cause he created your mind to be free to do whatever you want.

Allah can wipe this building or any another one which means that if this building or any another one reached any height, This is by the will of Allah.

No one eats, works, grows, dies, lives, drinks, kills, sing or any action without the will of Allah but it does not mean that Allah likes what you are doing. You can do the sin but he will judge you (forgive or punish) but he does not stop you to give you the freedom of the choice not like angels.

Anyway I just wanted to highlight this point and I know it is not religious forum, so I will back to the project's discussion...

Yes, there are many resturants there:

1- Many Resturants in the shopping mall (35M - 45M)
2- Two Resturants at Level 11 & 12 Podium (85M - 95M).
3- Four Resturants at the top of the four towers inside the tents (220M - 230M).
4- Resturant at top of the Main tower (Above the click) (Almost 550M).
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1288
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

LOL Dream, although I understand what your trying to say ( I'm muslim myself) believe me what your trying to explain can't be done in a single post and we aren't allowed to talk religion on this forum and on top of that you wont be able to explain it to a non-Muslim in a few wordings. Don't worry carry on with your updates you are by far the life of this thread!! Keep up the great work.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1289
DreaM1981

Thank you.

Update: An exhibition has been added at the top of the main tower.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #1290
DreaM1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettol View Post
Interesting Dream1981.

Any chance you could take pictures of the problems in design you talk about?
Colors:

Waves:

Space between tublar ceiling:

EDIT @ 12:15 PM 19/11/07

The big waves at the top I was talking about:

The pulley I was talking about:

Last edited by DreaM1981; November 19th, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
DreaM1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #1291
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

haha I see what you mean!!
Ugly choice of colors and matching!!!!
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1292
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

We have a mall in Doha called Royal Plaza and it too has the most awful combinations of Colors in it. From the pictures you posted Dream1981, it seems this mall is something that is very good for Makkah standards (compared to Hilton mall shopping area, which the only place to shop downtown near the 7aram) BTW, thanks Dream for taking those photos.
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #1293
Shahid

Likes (Received): 101

Have you ever been to Trafford Centre mall in manchester?

It is awesome!!
Shahid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1294
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaM1981 View Post
Waves & Space between tublar ceiling:
While I don't like the distribution of the 'waves' in the first picture, in general I don't see any issue with this. Clearly, access and ventilation are important to that space. The waves look to be somewhat subtle elements meant to take the eye away from the openings (while keeping costs low). That section absolutely looks finished. Note that it is in contrast to the very traditional, almost Victorian looking, finish of the apartment that was shared earlier.

Last edited by walli; November 15th, 2007 at 03:27 AM.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1295
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post

Digital clock would be more Islamic - from SunsShine

I hope that was sarcasm. Very funny.
There was a thread recently on how Russia Tower was/wasnot "Russian" looking, the jibe was that it has triangles, Russians invented the triangle

Arabs DID invent the 0, hence a digital clock _would_ be more Arabic, and by extension ( correct or not ) more Islamic.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #1296
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
There was a thread recently on how Russia Tower was/wasnot "Russian" looking, the jibe was that it has triangles, Russians invented the triangle

Arabs DID invent the 0, hence a digital clock _would_ be more Arabic, and by extension ( correct or not ) more Islamic.
Interesting story about the Russia Tower. For the record, while the word zero comes from Arabic, the Arabs did not invent the zero. That was something adopted from the Indian civilisations.

The Muslims (Arabs or otherwise) did two things, based on the guidance of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH):
1. Consolidate and cherish knowledge, irrespective of where it was from
2. Develop and add to knowledge

In the case of the zero, it was the first catetory. Linear and quadratic equasions fall into the latter.

Tangential, but I hope interesting. Amazing what came out of a seemingly silly comment about a digital clock! LOL!
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #1297
walli
BANNED

I was just reading a story about Saudi Arabia's gender segregation laws, and I'm wondering how this would have effected the design of a project such as this one. How do they manage spaces such as the mall? How are elevators and stairs managed? Are there separate elevators?

The recent story that caught my eye and resulted in me making this post can be found here. I'm sharing this link only because people may not know where I'm coming from.

Clearly laws such as these will have direct and significant implications on design!
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #1298
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
Clearly laws such as these will have direct and significant implications on design!
Actually, they will not have any effect on the design or the management of the building. No separate elevators! No separate malls!

Maybe separate public restrooms, can we do that?
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1299
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

How will such a massive building affect the crowds of the Haj ? Will the mall be open for all those "unwashed masses ?" - I bet it will be air conditioned and very attractive - but a little outside of what I would think of when making a religious pilgrimage, and many of the pilgrims are probably a little outside of what the affluent think of when going to the mall.

In the US the malls are privately owned and have security guards to keep out those that do not fit into the desired customer profile ( Teenagers, homeless, agitators ).

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1300
DreaM1981

First of all, I do not know why the moderator deleted my post? Maybe cause I did not agree with Wali changing the topic and posting stupid links? I hope someone takes action anyway. Yes I was rude but at least he should be warned again or removed from this thread.

About Harry's post, Yes there are securities there to keep out those that do not fit into the desired customer profile but it is allowed for all pilgrimes for sure.

It is attractive for pilgrimes but they will not find it interesting to visit it many times since it is different than other malls. It has most of international brands and sure they are expensive enough to keep poor people and most of pilgrimes out of it.

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia