daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1401
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
the perimeter wall of the Kaaba complex (IE the grand mosque) is the smallest. It seems to be the bottleneck.
The Kabaa is this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaa

And the Mosque surrounding the Kabaa is the Masjid al-Haram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masjid_al_Haram

You don`t even admit it when you say something wrong.
Everyboddy laught at you because you said the perimeter wall of the Kabaa. Everyboddy knows what the Kabaa is and nobody knows what the Kabaa complex is.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #1402
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

I don't think at all that area your suggesting would be in danger of a stampede. The Stoning of the Devil area has traditionally been one of the more dangerous places as there have been casualties there but around the Haram itself its all an open area I can't imagine any stampede taking place there.

You should know this if you've already been there.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #1403
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 13

Guys come on where is the Islamic attitude (those of you who are Muslim!)? There's so much petty bickering and sniping in this thread. We should be kind to one another, forgive each others' mistakes and make an extra special effort to get on with one another.

And all this in a thread about Makkah!
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1404
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailyas View Post
yeah, very good architecture and really fit with its environment.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #1405
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
That's a great picture, as it gives a good idea of how many people can be in and around the Kaaba complex at any one time. Someone had mentioned how the numbers keep trending up - wonder how it will work when there are twice as many people?
Walli Walli Walli what are you talking about!!!
This picture was taken on one of the last 7 nights of Ramadan, the nights where the Grand Mosque gets more crowded than any ANY TIME!! Any Muslim with little awarness with the situation in Mecca would realize that from a quick look at the carpets on the roof. Even in the Hajj it does not get as crowded as in the 26th night of Ramadan because of the flexiblity of Tawaf and Saiy times. They can be done at any time of the day for several days. In Ramadan, Muslims gather at the Taraweeh and Qiyam prayers for only 3 to 5 hours at certain nights.

I was actually there that night three years ago (in Ramadan) and I was in the area in front of Abraj Albait. The project was taking more space because of the fence around it. Yet, there was a HUGE space and I was able to walk around freely.

As for the numbers are going up, also the expansion of the Mosque is going on and developments like Abraj Albait are needed

Quote:
The area I was talking about is in the bottom right of this picture, IE where the space between the Abraj al Bait development and the perimeter wall of the Kaaba complex (IE the grand mosque) is the smallest. It seems to be the bottleneck.
Kaaba complex

By the way what do you call Minarets? The Kabba Complex Pillars ?

Anyways, you are still basing your opinion on FALSE information. The area between the Grand Mosque and the project is NOT the smallest and calling it a bottleneck based on that picture is stupid in my in my opinion . You can not even see the whole area since big part of is covered by the podium. Go to google earth and zoom in to see the area for yourself. Besides, we all know what a bottleneck looks like. And any smart person who has been to Mecca would tell you that it is funny to think that there is a possiblility of a stampede anywhere around the Grand Mosque (IE Kaaba Complex )..

Your argument reminds me of the argument that higher floors at Burj Dubai should be pressurized because of the lack of oxygen at high elevation!! Both arguments are unrealistic in a funny way

Last edited by Riyadhi; November 28th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1406
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

I dont like the wahhabists :P. But i guess this developement is needed.

I think they need too seriously and thouroghly redesign the infrastructure around the mosque to be able to satisfy future needs and relieve how crowded it can become, as well as redeveloping current bottlenecks. Whilst also providing an availability to preserve historical monuments where possible.

A task for top engineers and planners .

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1407
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
I dont like the wahhabists :P. But i guess this developement is needed.
Why don't you educate yourself a bit about them and know that they are called SALAFI's.

LOL Almost every person these days is an expert in Islamic sects it seems
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1408
Alle

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT* View Post
Why don't you educate yourself a bit about them and know that they are called SALAFI's.

LOL Almost every person these days is an expert in Islamic sects it seems
No actually i have only a vague idea, im not religious

Old November 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1409
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadhi View Post

Anyways, here are nice pictures from one of Abraj Albait towers,

http://m7mad.net/wp/?p=13#more-13
Will this be the view from the new building - stunning.

Thx for the pics.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1410
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Every time I look at at the pictures of the Kaaba from the Abraj Al-bait towers, I think about security.

How easy would it be for anyone to use an RPG (rocket propelled grenade) to destroy the Kaaba, or use a high-powered rifle to start a stampede, or use a high-fequency laser to light the Kaaba on fire?

There are 6 billion people on this planet including over 1.5 billion Muslims. Do you think just one of them is crazy enough to light the world on fire by attacking the Mosque from the Abraj Al-Bait?

Will there be the equivalent of "airport security" at this building?
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1411
Woolie

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
Every time I look at at the pictures of the Kaaba from the Abraj Al-bait towers, I think about security.

How easy would it be for anyone to use an RPG (rocket propelled grenade) to destroy the Kaaba, or use a high-powered rifle to start a stampede, or use a high-fequency laser to light the Kaaba on fire?

There are 6 billion people on this planet including over 1.5 billion Muslims. Do you think just one of them is crazy enough to light the world on fire by attacking the Mosque from the Abraj Al-Bait?

What the heck?
Woolie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1412
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
The area I was talking about is in the bottom right of this picture, IE where the space between the Abraj al Bait development and the perimeter wall of the Kaaba complex (IE the grand mosque) is the smallest. It seems to be the bottleneck.
Maybe you are confused between Al safa Palace and Abraj Al-Bait? The bottleneck you see in the picture is the space between Al-Safa Palace and The Grand mosque.

Quote:
Kaaba complex
By the way what do you call Minarets? The Kabba Complex Pillars ?
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #1413
Alle

Quote:

You need to get in touch with reality. Turn off the neocon channels on your television and read some books .

Old November 28th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1414
DreaM1981

Likes (Received): 3

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1415
Sdare

Likes (Received): 417

Quote:
or use a high-fequency laser to light the Kaaba on fire
loooooooooool
this is the coolest replay on this thread, I lmao
dude you watch movies allot !!!
but I liked the idea, its remind me with Batman's movies
Sdare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1416
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

Quote:

can i just ask why that space behing the Great mosque is empty?moreover,it seems the area can get really crowdy, how are the authorities gonna deal with it?mecca during the hajj must be a really crowdy place...
by the way, i'm really interested in this thing, can you just advice me a website about mecca, so i can see the town without converting?thanks!
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1417
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by walli
the perimeter wall of the Kaaba complex (IE the grand mosque) is the smallest. It seems to be the bottleneck.
The Kabaa is this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaa
Yes - that is why I stated the 'perimeter wall of the Kaaba complex'. I'm trying to use descriptive terms for the benefit of ALL readers of this form. I'm absolutely certain all of you knew exactly what I was talking about, particularly given that I also said, the space immediately in front of the Abraj al Bait.

Anyway - given some interest in the history of the built structures, this is a great summary of the Kaaba itself:

http://www.archnet.org/library/sites...p?site_id=8801

It has been worked on numerous times, and had been changed as a result. As an example, there was major damage in the 7th century as a result of Arab in-fighting between Ibn Zubayr, ruler of Mecca, and Umayyad Caliph Mu'awiyah. Umayyad Caliph Abdul Malik demolished the Kaba at one point and built it with a different design. The current structure of the Kaaba is from 16th century Ottoman construction, based on Abraham's original plan.
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1418
TheGlobalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT* View Post
He means the interior part of the exterior wall

The part of the Grand Mosque that lacks a roof.
He was asking about the space between the perimeter wall (the exterior wall) and the project (Abraj al-Bait).

It could have been said better, but I don't think he's asking how much roofless space there is in the Grand Mosque. He could probably Google that fairly easily.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1419
TheGlobalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Guys come on where is the Islamic attitude (those of you who are Muslim!)? There's so much petty bickering and sniping in this thread. We should be kind to one another, forgive each others' mistakes and make an extra special effort to get on with one another.

And all this in a thread about Makkah!
Yeah, a little bit of common decency would go a long way in this thread.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1420
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12566

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Ugh. Inside and out, this building is as tasteless as overboiled cabbage.
Hahahahaha!!!
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia