daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1421
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

Its the most boring, dull looking building iv ever seen in my entire life!!!
Its almost depressing to look at the renders im so glad its being built in the east and no where near my house!!!! Reminds me of a rainy monday morning
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1422
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post
Its the most boring, dull looking building iv ever seen in my entire life!!!
Its almost depressing to look at the renders im so glad its being built in the east and no where near my house!!!! Reminds me of a rainy monday morning
It does have a white roof that i think might lighten it up. But i agree, it wouldnt fit at all in britain.

It still seems quite thought through with the garage and so forth.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1423
memot_jr_jr
i am malaysian

Likes (Received): 0

Kaaba is really beautiful at night!

I looked at satellite photos of Haram Mosque at maps.google.com and the mosque shines during daylight like the brightest star in the universe! TRULY MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!

btw, abraj al bait looks okay, not great, not bad, just okay. it would be better if they use white marble and white colour scheme for the building.
memot_jr_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #1424
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
Yes - that is why I stated the 'perimeter wall of the Kaaba complex'. I'm trying to use descriptive terms for the benefit of ALL readers of this form. I'm absolutely certain all of you knew exactly what I was talking about, particularly given that I also said, the space immediately in front of the Abraj al Bait.

Anyway - given some interest in the history of the built structures, this is a great summary of the Kaaba itself:

http://www.archnet.org/library/sites...p?site_id=8801

It has been worked on numerous times, and had been changed as a result. As an example, there was major damage in the 7th century as a result of Arab in-fighting between Ibn Zubayr, ruler of Mecca, and Umayyad Caliph Mu'awiyah. Umayyad Caliph Abdul Malik demolished the Kaba at one point and built it with a different design. The current structure of the Kaaba is from 16th century Ottoman construction, based on Abraham's original plan.

Walli, thanks for the history lesson but there no such object called "outer perimeter of Kaaba." There is the Kaaba itself, which is located in the grand mosque. The grandmosque itself is a like a structure surrounding the courtyard of the Kaaba.

We dont know what you mean exactly by that. Everything has a name and "outer perimeter of the Kaaba" is not specific enough to name a structure.

First, I thought you were talking about the "Hjr Ismael" (Please correct me if Im wrong), which is a semi-circlar small short wall in one side of the Kaaba.

Then, you could mean the first Ottoman's orange-mosque surrounding the Kaaba.

or maybe you mean the whole Grand Mosque structure by itself.

Forth, you could mean the surrounding lands outside of the structure of the Grand Mosque?

So, you werent being specific enough..

BTW, English and Arabic are both my first language.
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1425
DreaM1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by (fabrizio) View Post
can i just ask why that space behing the Great mosque is empty?moreover,it seems the area can get really crowdy, how are the authorities gonna deal with it?mecca during the hajj must be a really crowdy place...
by the way, i'm really interested in this thing, can you just advice me a website about mecca, so i can see the town without converting?thanks!

1- The space is needed cause millions are walking together at same time to the holy mosque which means that there should be a big space outside before the main gates plus people pray also at this space when there is no any space inside the mosque.

2- Authorities are dealing with it by many new extension projects, some already started and other will start soon inshallah (God Willing) plus there is a rumor but not confirmed yet that one more floor will be added to the holy mosque Inshallah (God willing).

3- Check google earth. It is the best choice + Google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memot_jr_jr View Post
it would be better if they use white marble and white colour scheme for the building.
Actually, If its color was white/gray like the holy mosque, It would look as if it is a part of the holy mosque its self and this is not accepted at all.

It supports the holy mosque financially as an endowment. Any income goes to the holy mosque after 25 years inshallah (God willing).

It is not an extention of the holy mosque its self... that is why white marble can not be used.
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1426
memot_jr_jr
i am malaysian

Likes (Received): 0

so, how long will they stop the constuction? it's the hajj season right?

my parents are at mecca right now to do their hajj. I've heard that the temperature of mecca is lower than the past years.
memot_jr_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1427
DreaM1981

These two pictures are specially for wali to let him see some facts of this project:

The red aquare in the following picture is the temporary partition which will be removed after one week inshallah (god willing) which means that the space between the project and the holy mosque will be increased. That parition was temporary to protect the pilgrimes while that area was under construction but after the completion of that side of the project, The cleaning work started then the granite work will start to be a part of the land of the holy mosque.

The next picture shows the area which will be added and there is one more area will be added soon inshallah (god willing) after demolishing small ugly building infront of the project which is at the right side in the following picture (not shown).

Old November 29th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #1428
DreaM1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by memot_jr_jr View Post
so, how long will they stop the constuction? it's the hajj season right?

my parents are at mecca right now to do their hajj. I've heard that the temperature of mecca is lower than the past years.
Work will be stopped 14 days exactly inshallah (god willing).

Temprature of mecca this year is really lower than past year. That is true
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1429
Sdare

Likes (Received): 417

guys I have an idea to free you all from headache
click on the name of any user that you think he is wasting your time
then the browser gonna take you to the user file of this guy, you'll find a frame contains his name and picture
on the bottom of this frame will find to options
if you click on "Add someone to Your Ignore List", you,ll never again see this guy's posts
Sdare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #1430
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadhi View Post

Good idea..
Walli highlight this wall thing you are talking about...

The Kaaba Perimeter Wall

Anyways, here are nice pictures from one of Abraj Albait towers,

http://m7mad.net/wp/?p=13#more-13
these are from one of the completed towers?? wow! what a view. from what height is this picture taken from? how tall are the buildings completed so far?
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #1431
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alle View Post
You need to get in touch with reality. Turn off the neocon channels on your television and read some books .
I'm not a neocon. If I were, I might have said something more disturbing like:

Wouldn't it be aweful if someone scattered anthrax or small pox from the Al-Bait towers just as 2 million Muslims were finishing their hajj and going home? [16 Oct 2001: anthrax mailed to US Congress]

Or,

It would be terrible if someone took the radiological waste from just about any hospital in the world, attached it to a grenade and shot it into the Mosque using a simple hunter's crossbow. The Mosque would have to be destroyed in order to decontaminate the site. [Today, 29 Nov 2007:Three men arrested in Slovakia for allegedly trying to sell enough enriched uranium for a "dirty bomb"]

Note that my examples are now supported by reality. The only joke here is how easy this becomes with seven +240m towers next to the Mosque.

Don't shoot the messenger.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #1432
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
Every time I look at at the pictures of the Kaaba from the Abraj Al-bait towers, I think about security.

How easy would it be for anyone to use an RPG (rocket propelled grenade) to destroy the Kaaba, or use a high-powered rifle to start a stampede, or use a high-fequency laser to light the Kaaba on fire?
While your concerns may sound out of this world for some, the concerns are legitimate. Arab in-fighting resulted in a fire that ruined the Kaaba in the 7th century. The fire actually caused the black stone of the Kaaba (the Hajre Aswad) to crack into pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy88 View Post
these are from one of the completed towers?? wow! what a view. from what height is this picture taken from? how tall are the buildings completed so far?
The centre tower would b a height more than twice where that picture it taken from. It would be looking virtually straight down to the Kaaba.

Yes - it is a spectacular view.

Last edited by walli; November 29th, 2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added response to a second post
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1433
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
...snip...

The centre tower would b a height more than twice where that picture it taken from. It would be looking virtually straight down to the Kaaba.

Yes - it is a spectacular view.
Are there any considerations being taken to provide a view down ? If I see this correctly the wings or small towers won't block the view from the main tower, but looking down there is an angle beyond which the glass and facade get in the way. I'd imagine windows that slant out slightly would provide this.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1434
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Here are some street level pictures of the square in front of the project,

image hosted on flickr

by Shehana
Looks like a rendering.

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

by Mr Saudi
I recently saw that on Wikipedia article of Mecca.

Quote:
That pink illuminated building did't make the image beautiful.
Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1435
walli
BANNED

didn't notice that pink building earlier. Yeah - it is ugly and is another example of not being appropriate to the context.

Regarding that first picture, while I don't think it is a rendering (you can see the cranes on the buildings) it is definitely computer altered. It has been skewed / distorted to make the spaces look bigger.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1436
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
didn't notice that pink building earlier. Yeah - it is ugly and is another example of not being appropriate to the context.

Regarding that first picture, while I don't think it is a rendering (you can see the cranes on the buildings) it is definitely computer altered. It has been skewed / distorted to make the spaces look bigger.
not true ....
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1437
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:

!?!?
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1438
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Thanks for those pics, DreaM1981. Nice street-level context.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #1439
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 14

Sorry but I didn't see this comment earlier,

Quote:
While your concerns may sound out of this world for some, the concerns are legitimate. Arab in-fighting resulted in a fire that ruined the Kaaba in the 7th century. The fire actually caused the black stone of the Kaaba (the Hajre Aswad) to crack into pieces!
Any sane Muslim would never even think of making any such attacks on the Holy Mosque. Yet, I'm only worried about what would the hatred Muslims do. I'm talking about the racist kind that hates Saudi Arabia and the Arabs in general. Usaully, those people are mentaly ill. You would notice that their stupidity level is just too high once you start having a disucssion with them. You can easily recognize them by bringing the word Saudi in any conversation . They have an abnormal obsession about attacking the Saudis in litarally everything! You also notice that they claim that they are "true" Muslims but you'd laugh at their narrow minds and limited understanding of Islam from pretty much anything they say about Islam or the well known Islamic sites!!!!! It is also almost impossibel for those hatred idiots to say anything positive about Saudi!

Those are the kind of people who I would worry that they could actually make a terrorist attack on the Holy Mosque just to prove to the Muslim world that Saudi cant protect the Isalmic sites! Talk about sick obsession!!

Anyways, I think it is almost impossible to track those people down but extra security measrues should definitely be taken in Abraj Albait. Metal detectors, for example, can be used here to stop any sick minded from taken any kind of weapons to the higher floors.
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #1440
walli
BANNED

I posted a very credible link on the history of the Kaaba. I would encourage you to read and learn about it. I'm not going to get into the political debate you are trying to start, as that is not the intent of this thread.

http://www.archnet.org/library/sites...p?site_id=8801

"During the conflict between Ibn Zubayr, ruler of Mecca, and Umayyad Caliph Mu'awiyah, the Ka'ba was set to fire. The Black Stone broke into three pieces ..."

Last edited by walli; November 30th, 2007 at 02:25 AM.

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia