daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #1521
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Sigh...

Half truths are as bad a lies...

What did the pilgrims die of walli?

Take your personal political agendas elsewhere please.

Also, I do not appreciate being spammed via PM. I am reporting you.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #1522
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

I'm not certain what they died of.

With respect to your other comment, I did not 'spam' you, rather, I was just informing you of a post on a different thread about the Abraj al Bait. My assumption was that you'd be interested in articles talking about this project given your continuing participation on this thread.

If you choose to report, that is your prerogative - but such an action really would be without merit.
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #1523
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

The pilgrims died of old age... stop twisting the truth...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #1524
walli
BANNED

I highly doubt you know the precise causes of death for all of the hundreds that have already died this year. Talk about a half truth!

With regards to your allegation that I was twisting the truth, that is really from left-field. It is not true, and any reasonable observer will note that.
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1525
ws74sa

Likes (Received): 2

About 20-30 people have died from different road accidents travelling to makkah or to madinah. At least 5 people died in a partial collapse of an old hotel in madinah. couple people died in the jeddah airport from fatigue and or other diseases. I am not sure I can account for all the dead, but most people seem to have died of causes which have nothing to do with the Hajj itself. As you are aware Hajj starts only today with pilgrims gathering at Mina. But pilgrims have been arriving in Makkah and Madinah since couple of weeks.
ws74sa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1526
walli
BANNED

Good point - this is just phase I.

While this is off topic, it might be of interest to planners and the like that one of the main killers during Hajj is infectious diseases. There is great fear that one of these years, something like bird flu could break out and kill thousands. Why I refer this back to planners is that space planning is central to dealing with infectious diseases when so many people are involved.

Hajj poses health risks for thousands of Muslim pilgrims
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plai...070.xml&coll=2

Last edited by walli; December 17th, 2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #1527
The Rt. Hon.

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
Good point - this is just phase I.

While this is off topic, it might be of interest to planners and the like that one of the main killers during Hajj is infectious diseases. There is great fear that one of these years, something like bird flu could break out and kill thousands. Why I refer this back to planners is that space planning is central to dealing with infectious diseases when so many people are involved.
But getting of topic is just your thing isn't it. People don't die from infectious deseases when they're on Hajj because they've been vaccinated before they left their respective countries. However, what the elderly people and the already weak might die from is a combination of ''cold symptoms, exhaustion, dehydration and malnourishment.'' http://www.guardian.co.uk/saudi/stor...228715,00.html

There are two million people at this hajj and many of them are realizing a life long dream. There could be those who are terminally ill (e.g cancer) and this is just something they had to to do...these kind of people may not be strong enough to last the hajj.

Walli…in the beginning you may have had a point i.e. - it being was wrong to construct this building by destroying an old historical site. But now you go on and on……and really sound like somebody who has a chip on their shoulder. Get over it.
The Rt. Hon. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #1528
identityfail
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

wa.....what a beautiful building....
identityfail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1529
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by identityfail View Post
wa.....what a beautiful building....
So back on topic with somebody who pretends to like Abraj Al-Bait... unfortunately posted in several threads. So this is spam...

Btw. some construction update pics of the tower would be fine! Although I'm still a bit ambivalent about this giant, I'm looking forward to the day when Abraj Al-Bait outshines its satellites. Guess that should happen in early 2008.
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1530
walli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rt. Hon. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by walli
something like bird flu could break out and kill thousands
People don't die from infectious deseases when they're on Hajj because they've been vaccinated before they left their respective countries.
While I respect your opinion, it is quite contrary to the following article:

Hajj poses health risks for thousands of Muslim pilgrims
http://www.cleveland.com/living/plai...070.xml&coll=2

Noting that this is somewhat of a tangential item (and I already stated that before) you'll see in reading the article I provided that space and logistics have a lot to do with this major issue. That is where the link to planning and architecture is, and hence the appropriateness of the post in this thread.

While you have full right to not agree with the article, don't put up silly comments suggesting that everyone is vaccinated from bird flu and the like. That is simply not true.
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #1531
GoSatta
Rex Dominus

Likes (Received): 257

BBC World filmed frome one off the towers down at the mosque when they reported from the hajj, people living there are gonna have great view!!
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1532
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

the amount of people there is amazing.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1533
walli
BANNED

Has work started up again on this 800 pound gorilla? There hasn't been any real update since November 8th, about 10 weeks ago!

----
"Had not your people (referring to the family and tribe of Abu Bakr) been still close to the pre-Islamic period of ignorance, I would have dismantled the Ka'ba"
Hadith of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
Volume 1, Sahih Bukhari, Book 3, Number 128

Last edited by walli; December 27th, 2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1534
windawinda77
madrid-valencia

Likes (Received): 157

it is a shame how arabian autorithies spoilt the religious and hasitorical heritage of the whole humankind , specially muslims....i am ashamed and cant understand how that new idol is being been built in front of the holliest place of islam....it is an unrespectfull desition...i couldnt imagine italians autoritihies pulling down old monuments in rome and building so crappy skycrapers in front of the vatican city.....
windawinda77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:36 AM   #1535
Pablitisimo Maximo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Totally agree with you
Pablitisimo Maximo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM   #1536
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

that s a good point.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM   #1537
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

My Father has just returned from there, he says there is a very special aura about the whole place that he just couldn't describe.

Very, very special apparently!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM   #1538
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Is there really no one with updated pics on this construction? Too bad I'll have to convert to Islam if I ever want to see this thing in real life lol.
Joop20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:06 AM   #1539
PwnedByASkyscraper
iPura Vida!

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Is there really no one with updated pics on this construction? Too bad I'll have to convert to Islam if I ever want to see this thing in real life lol.
I found one, but it's from 12/21
image hosted on flickr

by Ma-kun

Paises Favoritas Que Yo Visite: United States, Costa Rica, Nederland, Espana, Deutschland

*All images I contribute to the site are from Flickr unless stated otherwise.
PwnedByASkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:44 AM   #1540
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by windawinda77 View Post
it is a shame how arabian autorithies spoilt the religious and hasitorical heritage of the whole humankind , specially muslims....i am ashamed and cant understand how that new idol is being been built in front of the holliest place of islam....it is an unrespectfull desition...i couldnt imagine italians autoritihies pulling down old monuments in rome and building so crappy skycrapers in front of the vatican city.....
It's just a building. I bet people cried foul when the first 10 story building was built next to the holy center.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia