daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1801
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

because it is holy, neither buildings nor people would negatively affect it.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #1802
Casawi

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnedByASkyscraper View Post
You're in luck CUL
3/27 (most recent I could find) by ooory
image hosted on flickr

This is really unbelievable
Looks how these buildings dominate the place!! This is an outrage against the Holy Mosque and Kaaba
Casawi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM   #1803
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8064

I, being a non-muslim and actually a not-so religious person don't feel offended by its location. I actually like this tower for what it is, a massive structure, which is something that I love. It's an impressive building on its own way.
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1804
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

The only Muslims who feel offended by this tower are the non-practicing secular Muslims. The belief that a tower might dominate the Kabba because it is too big show how naive they are about Islam.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM   #1805
The Rt. Hon.

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
The only Muslims who feel offended by this tower are the non-practicing secular Muslims. The belief that a tower might dominate the Kabba because it is too big show how naive they are about Islam.
I really hope that not all Saudi's think like you.
The Rt. Hon. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1806
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Let me give my layman's opinion on this. There is this holy stone that muslims consider holier than anything (as far as I remember), and there are skyscrapers in the background, and some muslims seem to feel the skyscrapers take away from the importance of the holy stone? I just don't get it. I mean, I'm pretty much an atheist, but there are things I hold very, very dear, and that I'd say I worship, and if I saw a few skyscrapers behind them I'd still find those things I worship having 100% of my attention, and no huge building could distract me from them. So from my perspective I don't understand how any muslims could be upset about some background scenery, unless they don't consider said holy stone as sacred as they claim to do.

Not trying to doubt or offend anyone's religious faith here, just doesn't really make sense to me. If it's sacred to you then it's sacred to you, no matter what's standing in the background.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1807
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

yea I don't get it either. I just comfort myself by believing that the vast majority don't mind. Even whom some call Wahhabi extremest don't see any problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rt. Hon. View Post
I really hope that not all Saudi's think like you.
for a start, am not a Saudi.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1808
Redalinho

Likes (Received): 1977

Horrible !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1809
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I actually think it adds to Mecca's claims of being a ancient/modern wonder.
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1810
Redalinho

The tower is slowly blocking out the light over the Kaaba!! plus the ruins in the foreground are the remains of the grave of Al Baqi, destroyed last century by the Saouds. The Saudi police is present night and day to prevent anyone placing flowers on the site, or even praying in the proximity of the graves
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1811
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Look at the direction the sun is shining, it's not blocking any light. By the way I bet people became upset when the first building that could be seen over the walls were built. I also bet people got upset when they installed electric lighting instead of using torches. The only thing I HATE about this tower is that damn clock. Other than that it fits into the area nicely. They could balance out the area with more supertalls though. That would be cool.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1812
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
The only thing I HATE about this tower is that damn clock.
Not just for aesthetic reasons. Like I said, I'm not a muslim, but putting a cheap imitation of London's Big Ben into a muslim holy city, that seems rather... incendiary, if you know what I mean.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1813
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

Look at the direction the sun is shining, it's not blocking any light.
Actually I think people would prefer shade in that hot weather so it would be Good to block its heat.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:48 PM   #1814
The Rt. Hon.

Likes (Received): 67

If this building was left the way it is right now, then I would not object so much. But the title of the King of Saudi Arabia is the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques. And since the mosque belongs to all Muslims he should have consulted with Muslims of other countries before going through with this. This building for me symbolizes the excessive wealth displayed by oil rich Arab people today.- one example is the people from the UAE who spend millions on meaningless license plates just to show off. It is only the rich whoĺll be able to afford the rent of this place and this takes away the equality of human beings rich and poor, young and old, ill or fit that the pilgrimage is supposed to represent. We go on hajj to visit the house of Allah, not to marvel at Bedouin architecture.
The Rt. Hon. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1815
Dan Hochhaus
highrise addicted

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbay-Tiger View Post
Hi everybody! I'm new here, although I've followed this forum for quite a time.
This is one of my favorite buildings u/c, so robust and eyecatching. I agree with
some that not all the details fit together, but if you take every part of the building
one at the time they are all so magnificent. The solid base, the golden upper part
with its outstanding spire, its really something unique at this magnitude. It is simply
beautiful.
Welcome on SSC, Westbay-Tiger!

You might have recognized that Abraj Al-Bait is one of the most controversial projects here on the forum, so it's good to have one more supporter of these towers.
I am devided about it: breathtakingly great or totally oversized? Defining a new style or only ecclectic? A perfect ensemble or a crowded cluster? A necessary solution for this city of pilgrimage or out of place? My opinions about it change almost daily - but all in all I'm glad that it becomes reality.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1816
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rt. Hon. View Post
If this building was left the way it is right now, then I would not object so much. But the title of the King of Saudi Arabia is the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques. And since the mosque belongs to all Muslims he should have consulted with Muslims of other countries before going through with this. This building for me symbolizes the excessive wealth displayed by oil rich Arab people today.- one example is the people from the UAE who spend millions on meaningless license plates just to show off. It is only the rich who’ll be able to afford the rent of this place and this takes away the equality of human beings rich and poor, young and old, ill or fit that the pilgrimage is supposed to represent. We go on hajj to visit the house of Allah, not to marvel at Bedouin architecture.
Even though ur argument about the rich and the poor make sense, ur irrelevant silly examples i.e. Bedouin architecture and UAE plate numbers made ur post look immature. As much as I oppose many of Saudi Arabia policies, I don't think that they they need to consult anyone about a tower. Let us not forget that this tower is a Waqf which means that all its revenues will go to the mosque and Islam.

Last edited by smussuw; April 3rd, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1817
Redalinho

Signs of the Hour

1. "A person will pass by the grave, and wish to trade places out of despair."
2. "Natural disasters will increase in number."
3. "Shepherds will compete in the construction of tall buildings."
4. "Knowledge of Islam will be taken away while ignorance will increase. This removal of knowledge will be because old scholars will die and fewer and fewer new scholars will replace them. The leaders of the Muslims will be chosen from ignorant people, and they will rule according to their whims."
5. "Drinking and fornication will increase heavily."
6. "The population of men will decrease, and women increase till fifty women shall be for every man."
7. "Thirty people will claim to be prophets, followed by Anti-Christ."
8. "There will be such an abundance of wealth that people will not be able to find recipients for zakat."
9. "Killing will increase."
10. "Time will be shortened so that a year will be like a month, a month like a day, a day like an hour."
11. "Two great countries will fight and kill each other, both claiming the same thing."
12. "The Anti-Christ will come, claiming to be God holding Heaven and Hell. His purpose is to deceive, and unbelievers will follow him. He is short, red-faced, blind in the right eye, and has hair which sticks up. He will go around the world, but will be unable to enter Madinah or Makkah."
13. "Isa (Jesus) will come the Anti-Christ. He will descend at the time of Fajr prayer on a masjid in Damascus, the capital of Syria. He is of medium height, red-faced, and his hair is as if he just took a shower. He will call people back to Islam, but he will also be a military leader. The People of the Book will revert to Islam, and wealth will be super-abundant. Isa will break the cross, kill the swine, and personally slay the Anti-Christ. He will stay on Earth for a long time thereafter, and then die."
14. "An animal will come and call people back to Islam."
15. "Gog and Magog (two hidden tribes of people) will break free of the dam that holds them back, and ravage the earth. They will drink all the water, and kill people until Allah sends against them a worm which will wipe them out."
16. "Three places in the world will sink and be swallowed up by the earth. One in the west, one in the east, and one in the Arabian peninsula."
17. "Fire will come from the area of Aden in Yemen, and sweep northwards."
18. "The sun will rise from the west."
19. "Smoke will appear all over the earth which will cause believers to catch something similar to a slight cold, whereas the unbelievers will be hit harder by it. Finally, a cold wind will come and kill all believers, leaving only unbelievers on the earth who will then witness the LAST HOUR. The angel Israfil will blow a trumpet, and the resurrection of all human beings will begin."

www.inter-islam.org
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1818
Redalinho

Buildings in Mecca should be modest practical and respecting the environment
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #1819
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

I am not of the Muslim faith, though, the significant of the clock on the building that is so much criticized by many people here seems important for the the Muslim prayer timing.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #1820
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redalinho View Post
Buildings in Mecca should be modest practical and respecting the environment
I'm just looking at this thing as a building. Look at the other buildings around it. Like I've said before someone probably protested putting the first 5 story building next to the kabaa. Now some are protesting a 100 story building. In 50 years people would think Mecca would look funny without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Not just for aesthetic reasons. Like I said, I'm not a muslim, but putting a cheap imitation of London's Big Ben into a muslim holy city, that seems rather... incendiary, if you know what I mean.
I agree. A more original top would be much better. Maybe make it look more like the top of a minaret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
Actually I think people would prefer shade in that hot weather so it would be Good to block its heat.
I prefer direct sunlight, inside a car with no a/c....haha. Yeah, I'd prefer shade if I were walking circles around the kabaa. No need to suffer in the heat to show how faithful you are. God doesn't really care anyway.

Last edited by FM 2258; April 4th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia