daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1821
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Isn't this in some way mocking allah, how come terrorists haven't come and blown it to pieces yet?
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #1822
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
Isn't this in some way mocking allah, how come terrorists haven't come and blown it to pieces yet?
That's a very good question. Don't we think these terrorists know what they are doing, always targeting the west?

As for the building, I don't think it's that too ugly!
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #1823
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post

Quote:
That's a very good question. Don't we think these terrorists know what they are doing, always targeting the west? ...

The posts in this thread never cease to amaze me... Its a wonder we havent annihilated ourselves...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #1824
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

I heard on various news stations a while ago that Al Queda destroyed the World Trade Centre because it's height was mocking allah. Why would this be any different? It's so close to the mosque and its possible 10x times taller than the minarets.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #1825
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

...sigh...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #1826
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
I heard on various news stations a while ago that Al Queda destroyed the World Trade Centre because it's height was mocking allah. Why would this be any different? It's so close to the mosque and its possible 10x times taller than the minarets.
Bullshit! this is a complete lie and you just totally made that shit up!
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #1827
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

Have you guys seen these,you will like it
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=593481
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #1828
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

I read that the Saudi rulers destroyed an old Ottoman fort to make room for this monster of a skyscraper, and the Turks compared this act to the destruction of the Buddhas in Bamiyan.

At least a palace in Islamic architecture, straight from 1001 Nights or the Prince of Persia series would have been the way to go.

Still I find it quite funny and ironic they chose the Empire State Building and Big Ben to copy (maybe Las Vegas also from what I see ) - creations of the unbelievers, to whom this city is off-limits.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1829
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-NWestfalen-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 1647

Quite a large project, very good for Mecca.

Neutral! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1830
Redalinho

Likes (Received): 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudi guy View Post
Have you guys seen these,you will like it
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=593481
Interesting , since most of the skyscrapers are built outside the kaaba.

People forget that in Mecca, and during the hajj, men wear white sheets, because it's forbidden to wear sewn clothes. Mainly out of modesty, reminding people that they're all equal and they should not "brag" about their wealth (arrogance is a big sin). They should remember the poor (as is one of the lessons taught by fasting the month of Ramadan : to remember the poor who can't afford the good meals other people have, and encourage rich to give to the poor), so it makes us feel empathy for the poor and needy.
So if pilgrims were allowed to wear what they like, Hajj would look like a clothing parade were everyone trying to look their best (which is not bad in itslef, as we do it in feasts) but it's not the right place : during pilgrimage, people should only think of modesty and obeying God.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1831
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I read that the Saudi rulers destroyed an old Ottoman fort to make room for this monster of a skyscraper, and the Turks compared this act to the destruction of the Buddhas in Bamiyan.

At least a palace in Islamic architecture, straight from 1001 Nights or the Prince of Persia series would have been the way to go.

Still I find it quite funny and ironic they chose the Empire State Building and Big Ben to copy (maybe Las Vegas also from what I see ) - creations of the unbelievers, to whom this city is off-limits.

I bet if we had this forum during the Ottoman empire's rule we'd all be protesting how unholy this fort is and so close to the kabaa. In 400 years if they destroy this skyscraper to build something bigger someone would be upset as well.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1832
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I bet if we had this forum during the Ottoman empire's rule we'd all be protesting how unholy this fort is and so close to the kabaa. In 400 years if they destroy this skyscraper to build something bigger someone would be upset as well.
Yup!, it doesn't get more accurate than this post.

Historically and culturally, well done.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1833
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by dettol View Post

The posts in this thread never cease to amaze me... Its a wonder we havent annihilated ourselves...
It's harder to take you seriously when that AYE-AYE is staring at me.
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1834
Casawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
The only Muslims who feel offended by this tower are the non-practicing secular Muslims. The belief that a tower might dominate the Kabba because it is too big show how naive they are about Islam.
That's a funny statement Did you do a scientific research about that?

On the other hand it's actually not very polite to say such thing, because with that statement you're questioning my feelings about Islam, and by that you're doing something which only hypocrites do, so they can call only themselves real Muslims.

Anyway, maybe it's because that your country doesn't have much historically important buildings to dominate, you may not find it a problem building ridiculous huge buildings like this next to such important places.

And by the way, you don't have be clear-sighted to see that this building dominates the area and also the Holy Mosque and the Kaaba in a material way. That's not a feeling but is a fact anyone can observe.
Casawi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1835
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

Yea, maybe, but I still insist that there are no restrictions, at least Islamically about building this tower.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1836
Casawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw View Post
Yea, maybe, but I still insist that there are no restrictions, at least Islamically about building this tower.
Yeah, that must be true, because if it there were any, they certainly wouldn't build this tower. And that means that this case is not an Islamic issue, but simply just a matter of taste (and opinion). And everyone knows, there is no arguing about that.
Casawi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #1837
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 4156

360*
10/4/2008
as you can see the sky is too dusty cuz the digging Mountainsides & collapse old building surround al haram!

Royal Hotel Tower
Full Size

Full Size

Maqam Tower
Full Size

Hajer Tower
Full Size

Sara Tower
Full Size

Old April 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1838
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

great pictures
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1839
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

wonderful whith an update it has ben ages sens this good update for this thred !
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1840
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

I've never posted in this thread before, and, indeed, never saw it until tonight. In the last few hours, I've read over 500 postings in this thread, its antecedent, and the "daughter" thread that was intended to remove the "contentious" apects from here, and get it back to steel & concrete. It doesn't look like this has worked.

A few comments:

Firstly, I actually like the design of the building- or cluster of buildings- even though I initially thought I was looking at Moscow University or the Russian Parliament. There has been much mention of "Los Vegas" style architecture, but, so far as I understand it, Los Vegas has basically sought to copy sundry other styles cheaply and doesn't have a style of its own ... anyway, I've never been there.

The clock ... lots of people hated the clock, or called it a copy: to my way of thinking, it's just a question of getting the proportions right: specifically, between the clock-face and the surrounding square of masonry or whatever.

There's been much carping about the positioning of the building, and I note that this is highly unusual. Although in my own city there are "envelopes" governing the height of buildings, it is rare on SSC to see a spirited debate about how a building under construction relates to its environment, and if you ask me, this should probably happen more often. I'd add that I wouldn't think that these sort of issues were off-topic: within reason.

The reason these issues arose here was because the building concerned was in Mecca (Mekkah), and, moreover, very close to a sacred site: The Kaa'ba.

Why should this be of importance? I'm not a Muslim, I'm an Atheist- although I was rather casually raised as a Christian. Never-the-less, I have a certain respect for the sacred places of sundry religions, and I can see why there has been so much debate (before and after the "daughter" thread was created), both from Muslims, and from others.

The Ancient Greeks considered everyone except themselves to be, by definition, "barbarians". The Chinese guy who was almost my father-in-law apparently referred to me as a "white devil". You can be an infidel, and still care about a holy city.

I'm sorry to see so many people were banned from this forum- I presume it was on account of what they posted in this thread- since, while they certainly went over the top at times, at times they also made some sense.

I won't risk following them by sticking my neck out here, but, while I like this building, it's very dominant. In a location like that, I would have tried to spread things out a bit more.

One issue that was raised was the destruction of ancient or historic buildings: and the response was that millions of people came each year to Mecca, not as tourists, but as pilgrims. I'm aware that there are various sacred or historic sites around Mecca: some of the latter appear to have been lost, to provide a site for this building.

Let's be honest: much of Rome was rebuilt during the Renaissance, yet pilgrims still flock to the Vatican. But it still has its Colliseum and its Catacombs ... no, people don't go to Mecca to sight-see, but what would it be if only the Kaa'ba predated the twenty-first century?

I did try the other thread, but it'd been dead for three months, and this one was still churning over the same old stuff

Last edited by Yardmaster; April 13th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
abraj al bait, saudi arabia